As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[AirMech Beta] - Open Beta on Windows and Chrome, come get a referral

CantidoCantido Registered User regular
edited August 2012 in Games and Technology
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olGbQXAu_S0&feature=colike

Carbon Games made Fat Princess, which I have not have the pleasure of playing. It turns out they had a great idea for a game: copying Herzog Zwei in every way possible and adding 21st century sensibilities and making it a F2P cash cow. Several publishers have told Carbon to fuck off, so they made the game on their own. The game recently concluded the Alpha and is now in the Beta phase.

The idea is very similar to Herzog Zwei, the first Action RTS hybrid. You pilot a Macross esque airplane that can morph into a giant robot. From the skies you can you can fly around and shoot other players, and on the ground you can fight as a mech. The catch is that you are in command of a candy colored army just like Advance Wars, and you cannot harm the enemy base, which you must destroy. Only your army can do it! On the fly you must build and command an army like a very simplified RTS game.

The battlefield is broken up into control points, which your creeps will automatically try to capture. When four of your units walk inside a control point, you capture it, it turns your color, and you have a new base from which you can spawn mans or recharge your health. Killing mans and opposing players gives you XP, which can be spent on upgrading your attack, defense, infantry power or infantry firepower.

Commanding armies is very simple. You can have them hold a position, push a lane without fear of death, follow another unit, or a do a patrol. These four commands will be all you need. Combining real time strategy with action, the game is frantic, but hilarious and a blast to play.

The F2P element is interesting. Note that from the get go, you have absolutely everything you need to win PvP, and win hard. Winning games earns you Kudos, and spending money gives you Diamonds for quick unlocks. You can buy variations of units from the Store that change the strengths and weaknesses of your units. In play you can only choose eight units in the battlefield. The conversation is always the same. Lets say you have the most basic mook, the Soldier unit. You can purchase with Kudos or Diamonds a heavier Soldier, or a lighter Solider, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. The heavier one can take more damage than you typical creep, but it's very expensive resource wise. The lighter unit can zip all the way from your base to the nearest control point in a flash but will die quickly. You also choose one pilot, each with their own strengths and weaknesses. Some even boost your Kudos, win or lose, making the game even lighter on your wallet. They've started doing a referral link thingy, but I've spend more money on this F2P than I care to admit...

The game has a fuckton of modes since I last played the game. Herzog Zwei was 1v1. This game has...
PvP - 1v1, 2v2, 3v3
Coop vs AI - 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 1v3, 1v2
CTF - 1v1, 2v2, 3v3
Single Player skirmish
Survival- 1p, 2p, 3p, 4p Co-Op
Single Player challenges.

The soundtrack is also being done by Frontline Assembley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeUMQqhg9TI

Carbon Games has seen firsthand the bullshit publishers give them, so they've diligently worked on cross platform compatibility. The game has a Windows Build, a Google Chrome build, and a Steam build. It will later have a Ps3 build. And one account to rule them all. I just linked my Steam account to my windows version, and bam! All my unlocks are available.

Anyone else playing dis?

The game is in Open Beta on Windows and Google Chrome. Just sign up on Carbon's website. To help your fellow PAers, ask for their referral signup link. Some users can give you a code to get into the Steam version early.

You lose nothing by playing on one version over the other. Carbon was particular about this. By making a Carbon account, you can switch between the Windows, Google Chrome and Steam versions on a whim without losing any experience or items.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
Cantido on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I'm overloaded beyond measure with games to play, so I haven't checked this out yet despite having gotten a copy in an indie bundle I bought, but I'm really looking forward to playing it at some point.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    The game has achievements now too, which earn you Kudos and Diamonds (giving F2P swag away OMG). Some of the achievements are tied to referrals, but I'm overloaded on Diamonds and Kudos from just two bundle purchases I made, so I'm not willing to post a link. New players should go crazy with referrals instead. I do like the achievement ideas though. As your friends level up you earn achievements for example.

Perhaps in the distance future if they let me gift and trade upgrades, then I would grind for referrals.

Cantido on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I gave this game a go on my chrome browser not that long ago in Alpha and it was pretty damn good. This is coming from someone who doesn't play RTS or MOBA games, and I managed to pick up the idea of what to do and what works in terms of strategy etc. fairly quickly in the 1v1 map.

It's definitely the sort of game that when you're idle, you feel like you're doing something wrong; there's not much point waiting around for units to be built when you could be moving units, giving new orders, shooting enemy creeps, pushing a line... Yeah there's heaps to do at any one time

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I did my first team round today. It reminds me of team play in a similar game in the sense that players can divide responsibilities so that one player can be as shooty and stompy as they want to be while his or her teammates can handle commanding units. The two major differences are that resources are not shared this time so everyone gets a hand in making mans, and a player can literally customize their character and army to be shooty or production heavy.

I fear that the Lunchbox item is mandatory for online play. It grinds extra resources automatically, forgoing defensive turrets for early offense. I see a lot of players completely stuff their base with Lunchboxes before the match even starts. Of course there's nothing stopping you from using up two army slots for both a turret and Lunchbox. Then you're sacrificing variety in your mans.

The mook/creep customization is the best. DA BESS. My "medium tank" of choice is the cheapass Armadillo unit so I can just crank a thousand of them cheap.

Cantido on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Said "what the heck, why not" and tried this out tonight in a few matches against the CPU. Frantic, fun, easy to get into, tough to master, and generally just really interesting. I don't like F2P games as a rule (I WANT ALL MY CUSTOMIZATION OPTIONS RIGHT NOW GIVE THEM TO ME YES YES MORE) but other than that this is pretty awesome. It also downloads super fast on Steam too.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Tried. Infantry is WAY too durable. Those bases surrounded by neutral shit? Infantry don't care. Infantry waltz right in. If the door isn't physically barred, it's going to fall the moment someone decides it should.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    I can't say I've had that problem. It's true there's nothing stopping another player from dumping mans into your control points. It makes very effective harassment.

The game just got announced on Steam. EEEEeeeee
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQt1lFIIZnQ

• Options
    Oh, everyone should totally load it up on Chrome just once for the chrome-skin saucer mech. It's not free, but pretty close.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Oh, everyone should totally load it up on Chrome just once for the chrome-skin saucer mech. It's not free, but pretty close.

I...wha
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFDDiqN4C9A
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I really should get aquainted with what Google Chrome is capable of. I only recently got fed up with Firefox on the web development side of things. This cross platform compatibility is really amazing. I hope it catches on with other console makers (who aren't Microsoft). Skullgirls would be one game that could benefit tremendously from this.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Oh yeah... you know what's funny? Enemy AI deploys a Goliath to try and run through my defenses (of which a number of units are stolen). It reaches the defenses... and promptly gets stolen, healed, and turned around. Twenty seconds later, it demolishes their base. The saucer is kind of evil. Win by re-purposing enemy units.

Polaritie on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Oh yeah... you know what's funny? Enemy AI deploys a Goliath to try and run through my defenses (of which a number of units are stolen). It reaches the defenses... and promptly gets stolen, healed, and turned around. Twenty seconds later, it demolishes their base. The saucer is kind of evil. Win by re-purposing enemy units.

That reminds me of this game, in which you are some kind of saucer than can steal mans.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ28a-KPv60

EDIT - Bah, the player is doing some kind of power run and isn't demonstrating this. When I played it I would suck up every enemy. It took me a while to figure out I could summon them.

Cantido on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I hope this game is as fun as Herzog Zwei

If so, I'll definitely play

Edit: I got a code to try out the beta but will I still be able to use this same account if I buy the beta bundle?

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I really need to start familiarising myself with hot-keys, still feel like I'm playing way too slowly with just the mouse

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »

Edit: I got a code to try out the beta but will I still be able to use this same account if I buy the beta bundle?
    Yes. You have ONE chance to link your Carbon Games or Google account to Steam. Make sure you enter it right the first time or you have to jump through some hoops getting Steam to work.

You can get to your one account on the Windows, Steam, or Chrome version and switch between them on a whim. The problem is when you link Steam to your account, Its permanent. So don't accidentally make a new account.

• Options
    Cantido wrote: »

Yes. You have ONE chance to link your Carbon Games or Google account to Steam. Make sure you enter it right the first time or you have to jump through some hoops getting Steam to work.

You can get to your one account on the Windows, Steam, or Chrome version and switch between them on a whim. The problem is when you link Steam to your account, Its permanent. So don't accidentally make a new account.

Well I made the account through steam first and just logged into the carbon forums through Steam so I should be fine right?

Also, how long will the beta bundle be available? I wont be able to afford it till about Thursday.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options

Well I made the account through steam first and just logged into the carbon forums through Steam so I should be fine right?

Also, how long will the beta bundle be available? I wont be able to afford it till about Thursday.

Yes, that's fine. Do not make an account on a different build. Your login will work on all of them.

• Options
    How do I get the google chrome space ship?

• Options
    Install the Chrome client, run it, and buy it for... some dirt cheap price. (A bare fraction of what a normal Saucer costs) You can only buy it from the Chrome client, but then can use it on any of em.

It's a ton of fun taking people's attacks and turning them around with hacking.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Install the Chrome client, run it, and buy it for... some dirt cheap price. (A bare fraction of what a normal Saucer costs) You can only buy it from the Chrome client, but then can use it on any of em.

Yea, I've been having a lot of fun with the saucer and the warthog though my favorite by far is the Shark Neo.

I just won a 3v3 game because the enemy team was 100% focused on the base in the middle of the map so I built up about 8 or 9 Longhorns with 2 Ratchets and sent them off while taking the teams undefended base.

Thanks for letting me know how to get the chrome saucer.

Edit: How do I log into the google chrome version? The account I have on Carbon is my steam account.

Stragint on

• Options

Yea, I've been having a lot of fun with the saucer and the warthog though my favorite by far is the Shark Neo.

I just won a 3v3 game because the enemy team was 100% focused on the base in the middle of the map so I built up about 8 or 9 Longhorns with 2 Ratchets and sent them off while taking the teams undefended base.

Thanks for letting me know how to get the chrome saucer.

Edit: How do I log into the google chrome version? The account I have on Carbon is my steam account.

Your Carbon account works on anything. Log in the same way you did on Steam. Select "Log In With Carbon", enter your Carbon email and password, and the Chrome build will be wired to your account with all your unlocks. You can switch between builds on a whim without losing anything. (Unless you make a second account. Don't do that.)

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I got it to work and got the google ship.

Stragint on

• Options
    How do I do a referral for this?

• Options
    beta.lyraebeta.lyrae Registered User regular
    How do I do a referral for this?

It's kind of wonky. Basically, goto Store->Codes. Copy the code to clipboard. Send it to a friend, then they can enter in the Reedem Codes box. They can only do it if they are below level 5.

The other way is to send a link like this:

https://carbongames.com/signup.html?id=Lyrae

When they sign up, you'll get the referral (change the ID of course).

See this thread:

https://www.carbongames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2131&

Great game by the way. I haven't gone online with it yet, but I really dig it. Any one up for a 3vCPU to test the waters? I'm Lyrae in game.

• Options
    Thanks, I was wondering what that code in the codes area was.

So I decided to try and get familiar with some video editing stuff and did some frapsing.

First one is a 3v3 pvp match
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4c1XRhBIpY&feature=plcp

Second one is a 4 player survival match
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3wubIgu60w&feature=plcp

The quality looks fairly good to me though I think I can hear a buzzing in the audio.

• Options
    Survival is fun - especially when I hack one of the giant death tanks that show up near the end.

• Options
    I keep trying that and I keep failing. The SAM infantry blow me away before I can finish.

• Options
    It can be done, but yeah - hard.

• Options
    edited August 2012

Thanks for that.

The build he used was:

ARCHY
    SAM
    JACKAL
    T99
    MONEY MAKER
    RATCHET
    GEMINI
    GOLIATH

The main battle starts at around 11:00.

beta.lyrae on
  • Options
    I don't melee enough. I don't even really know how good it is.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    If you bought the Steam bundle, you can get 2 Steam beta keys by posting in this thread:

https://www.carbongames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2765

It took about a day to get mine.

beta.lyrae on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I'll be posting more videos when I come across one that was a decent match. My matches vary quite a lot. I either get steamrolled because my team sits around doing nothing or people leave. Its a bummer.

Melee is really fun to use but you need stuff that increases your ground movement for it to be useful since you can get kited fairly easy. Its great for rushing your enemies base along the side of the map and decimating their money makers while they are distracted.

Stragint on

• Options
    I'll be posting more videos when I come across one that was a decent match. My matches vary quite a lot. I either get steamrolled because my team sits around doing nothing or people leave. Its a bummer.

Melee is really fun to use but you need stuff that increases your ground movement for it to be useful since you can get kited fairly easy. Its great for rushing your enemies base along the side of the map and decimating their money makers while they are distracted.

I prefer using the saucer to hack the money makers. It shuts em down faster than using guns, and then they have to destroy it before they can use the pad.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    This video is almost half an hour long and has no audio, I messed something up. Either way it was a pretty good match.

A little info on what my load out was:
    SAM
    Lunchbox(creates a shield around the fortress)
    Archy
    T99
    Ratchet(repair vehicle)
    Armadillo
    Gemini
    Goliath
    Pilot: Samson (buffs units while making the AirMech itself weaker)

I was using the Neo with the Shark variant. Possibly my favorite AirMech because of the Shark variant and because of how useful it can be. it has an ability that lets it cloak (breaks when hit or deactivated) and it is very fast which is very useful for scouting or sneak dropping vehicles, something you will see in the video.

Item: Repair bot

3v3 PvP
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3IMt8EXX-U&feature=youtu.be

Stragint on

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Today is Persona day, remind me on Friday and I'll join in.

It's fitting that Natasha looks like Sheryl "Tits of Hopes and Dreams" Nome.

Cantido on
  • Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    If I get a referral from someone, will I then be able to refer my friends and get us all in, or are actual game keys still hard to come by? Basically, if I can get me and my 3 friends in together, we'd play this. If just one of us gets in and has to wait to get more keys to give out, its a no go.

Vechloran.png
  • Options
    Referrals don't get you in. You need a key to get into the beta. Buying the beta bundle does net you two keys though.

• Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    Ah, so its basically "wait for release" then. Thats cool though, I played Herzog Zwei back in the day when I was too young to know wtf I was really suppose to be doing. So this looking intriguing and the co-op play with out douche bags is always a nice choice to have and I think the only reason we still play LoL is for a co-op vs AI game after a night of losses.

Vechloran.png
  • Options
    Just to clarify, you and your friends can all play the PC (or chrome) version now; you just can't do so via steam without a steam beta key. You can link multiple accounts together, so I see no real issue in created an account then linking it once it shows up on steam or you get yourself a beta key.

• Options
    Velmeran wrote: »
    Ah, so its basically "wait for release" then. Thats cool though, I played Herzog Zwei back in the day when I was too young to know wtf I was really suppose to be doing. So this looking intriguing and the co-op play with out douche bags is always a nice choice to have and I think the only reason we still play LoL is for a co-op vs AI game after a night of losses.

@Vekmeran Carbon just gave me two more keys but I'm driving so PM me and get on dis shit.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I have another video with no audio so I thought I might add some music but that feels so incredibly cheesy. Also, has anyone else noticed the buzzing in my first two videos?
    Velmeran wrote: »

@Vekmeran Carbon just gave me two more keys but I'm driving so PM me and get on dis shit.

Did you have to do something for two more or did they just throw them out randomly?

Stragint on