As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Video Pinball] Pinball FX 2 is on the Humble Bundle! Get it now!

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I don't know when PS3 players will get the hub, but sadly thre's not a chance in hell Sony and MS will share leaderboards. LIVE and Windows 8, maybe.

The third table (second Wizard Mode) I beat is Fantastic Four. Oh joy, I got to Shoot Galactus's floating head. I have it saved and incomplete. I suppose I should go finish, but...its the Fantastic Four table. :(

For what it's worth, I've never accomplished that. I got the the final mission once, pretty soon after it came out, but lost and never managed it again. Congrats.

• nathanaelnathanael Registered User regular
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    So had a fun night with Pinball Arcade tonight. Hit the Billionaire Club on Bride of Pinbot. Figured I'd share here as the only other person who I can think of that would even know what I'm talking about would be my father. Upped some other high scores as well.

So when FX2 does come out for the PS3, any way I can compare my scores with you 360 folk? Or are the leaderboards platform specific for FX2?

And as far as Pinball Arcade goes, what's with top 10 scores for each table nearly always being (mobile)? I would think it would be harder to play on a mobile device.

I'm not great at Pinball, but I love it, and maybe I'll add you to give me some stretch goals on the tables I enjoy. I've found that going back and forth between the Vita version and PS3 version, I often best my high scores with the Vita. I don't know why.

This my Gamertag— NathanaelPM
    This is my PSN ID— Radthanael
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    How does the game play on the Vita compared to the PS3? I've been considering a Vita off and on since it's release.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    nathanael wrote: »
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    So had a fun night with Pinball Arcade tonight. Hit the Billionaire Club on Bride of Pinbot. Figured I'd share here as the only other person who I can think of that would even know what I'm talking about would be my father. Upped some other high scores as well.

So when FX2 does come out for the PS3, any way I can compare my scores with you 360 folk? Or are the leaderboards platform specific for FX2?

And as far as Pinball Arcade goes, what's with top 10 scores for each table nearly always being (mobile)? I would think it would be harder to play on a mobile device.

I'm not great at Pinball, but I love it, and maybe I'll add you to give me some stretch goals on the tables I enjoy. I've found that going back and forth between the Vita version and PS3 version, I often best my high scores with the Vita. I don't know why.

I've been playing Zen's franchise for over two years. I only recently got good. Starting by whooping Thanos's ass.

Speaking of which, I am reading The Infinity Gauntlet, and many of Thanos's lines are ripped straight out of the series.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • CellorifficCelloriffic Registered User regular
    The Infinity Gauntlet is one of my favorite comic minis, yet I am awful at the pinball table.

Irony.

edited July 2012
    The Infinity Gauntlet is one of my favorite comic minis, yet I am awful at the pinball table.

Irony.

The table helped me get good again. I learned to mentally drawn the lines of my shots based on the rays of Infinity Bling leading up to the ramps. This can be applied to many tables.

As for that table itself, a couple of things helped me beat it:
    1. Grind for Half of the Universe. Always aim your skillshot so you get Soul Bumpers (the bonuses cycle through a predetermined pattern.) Because Soul Bumpers always happens after a gem event, you need to do your damndest to get all the easy gems first so you don't end up getting some easy gem like Soul or Time randomly. You want it to go to Reality or Mind.

From easiest to hardest, I'd say the gems are [Soul, Time, Power, Space, Reality, Mind]. It's surprising how reversing the flippers can screw you up worse than turning the damn table upside down.

2. There are lots and lots of ways to get Extra Balls, each of which take a long time to earn, and you have to pay attention to every chance you get. When Silver Surfer starts surfing, there is no audio cue. The camera shows him surfing. Take advantage of this time and score as many shots as you can. I had like...four extra balls during my winning run. The other way is hitting those multipliers. I used to think that getting the Skillshot Multiplier Up was best, but it simply doesn't compare to Soul Bumpers. Getting the multipliers up comes naturally during the chaos of the various multiballs the table has going on.

Cantido on
    edited July 2012
    There's an Infinity Gauntlet tournament going on. I gotta try this. I've never participated in any of them. But there is a cache bug in which you can't see the details.
    If you can not see the tournament details yet, it is because of a cache error. To resolve this, please go to Settings> System> Storage> Hard Drive> Games & Apps> Pinball FX2> Owned Tables. Delete the “Owned Tables” file, then start up Pinball FX2. Within 15 seconds, all of your data will return and you will be able to see and participate in the Infinity Gauntlet tournament. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused! We are working with Microsoft to resolve this issue as soon as we can.

Also, Pinball FX reached 1.5 million paid downloads.

I have to go watch Batman now, but I'm at 225 million and have four gems.

Cantido on
    Almost to 100 million on Infinity Gauntlet. Did the settings reset thingy up there to open up the tournament. I've got my work cut out for me.

• iMattiMatt Registered User regular
    750 million on theatre of magic! I'm happy with this as i generally suck at pinball!

I'm having so many bad runs on Infinity Gauntlet. I don't know if I'll be topping my 450 million.

Also, I bothered to try the Super Skillshot. It's worthless compared to turning on the Soul Bumpers.

• AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    Sigh. This thread kills me, as a non-console gamer. I need more PC pinball.

• iMattiMatt Registered User regular
    Woot - billionaires club on Theatre of Magic. It's creepy how much this has made me want to the play the real table now. Looking at it on you tube I was amazed how mechanical and clunky the table sounds - having ignored real pinball all my life and now only getting into it digitally I was quite surprised by this!

Forgive me, pinball thread. I have been delinquent. I return bearing news from the land of Farsight:

Pinball Arcade updates everywhere. Patch and in-game purchasing of DLC packs 1 (Bride of Pinbot/Medieval Madness) and 2 (Funhouse/Cirqus Voltaire) for Xbox 360 (at last). 400 points per pack, and no individual table buy option (boo!).

iOS/Android DLC pack 4 has hit: Creature from the Black Lagoon/Black Knight. Bride of Pinbot is the free table of the month.

PS3/Vita has DLC pack 3 (Monster Bash/Gorgar) and 4 in cert, and both should arrive "soon".

All that said, I've been so discouraged by the Xbox Pinball Arcade delays fiasco that, well... Let's just say I came into a PS3 recently, and I'm strongly considering making the switch on this title. I haven't bought anything more than the core tables on Xbox, so I'm hoping they have the kinks worked out on the PS3 version.

UPON FURTHER REVIEW...

I've been seeing too many reports of lag issues plaguing the PS3 version, so last night I decided to go ahead and get the Xbox versions of the new tables. I've sunk the most time into Bride of Pinbot, and I like it a lot, even with the dreaded Pinbot "screw you, it drains now" factor. It really seems like you need to be in the Metamorphosis to get any sort of decent scoring, though.

Funhouse looks extremely garish in the new lighting scheme. Like, "Pinball FX2 Thor" levels of garish. I'm having a bit of trouble with one of the upper-left flipper shots (trapdoor), and I'm unable to manage some of the tricks I was using on the Pinball Hall of Fame version.

Medieval Madness looked and played great, in the one game I spent with it. Failing to make it up a ramp is no longer an instant center drain, so yay!

Cirqus Voltaire... I really, really want to like this table. I do. I really do. But I can't seem to find a camera angle that works for me - it's either so low to the table that I can't see what I'm doing, or pulled back enough to blind me with the neon on the ramps, especially on the right. I also managed a fantastic glitch where the ball hit the Ringmaster, then floated down the table, over the flippers, and down the drain. (You've played Paranormal on Zen/Pinball FX2? Almost exactly like that multiball mode.)

I'll spend more time with them before finalizing my opinions, but I'm not terribly thrilled right now.

edited August 2012
    Funhouse looks extremely garish in the new lighting scheme. Like, "Pinball FX2 Thor" levels of garish. I'm having a bit of trouble with one of the upper-left flipper shots (trapdoor), and I'm unable to manage some of the tricks I was using on the Pinball Hall of Fame version.
    :( I rather hoped that was the kind of mistake that would only be made once ...

Medieval Madness looked and played great, in the one game I spent with it. Failing to make it up a ramp is no longer an instant center drain, so yay!
    Glad they fixed the 'Rome' problem. =P
    The renown of this table makes me want to try it, but by the sounds of things, you both can't buy tables a-la-carte, and also need to pick up the 'base' first, right? I just couldn't justify it to only look into this one (because none of the base tables really caught me when I demoed the game ...

Cirqus Voltaire... I really, really want to like this table. I do. I really do. But I can't seem to find a camera angle that works for me - it's either so low to the table that I can't see what I'm doing, or pulled back enough to blind me with the neon on the ramps, especially on the right. I also managed a fantastic glitch where the ball hit the Ringmaster, then floated down the table, over the flippers, and down the drain. (You've played Paranormal on Zen/Pinball FX2? Almost exactly like that multiball mode.)
    Don't forget about Mars doing exactly the same horrible, horrible thing ...

ArcticLancer on
    Yes, exactly, the Mars anti-gravity mode! Ugh.
    Glad they fixed the 'Rome' problem. =P
    The renown of this table makes me want to try it, but by the sounds of things, you both can't buy tables a-la-carte, and also need to pick up the 'base' first, right? I just couldn't justify it to only look into this one (because none of the base tables really caught me when I demoed the game ...

I know that the tables only come in 2-packs on the consoles. They are a la carte on iOS and Android, if that's an option for you. Also on iOS and Android, you can get the free version of the base game and pick and choose tables to your hearts content.

Still having issues with that upper flipper on Funhouse - I think the camera angle I'm playing at is visually skewing that shot. That said, a new personal best last night at 90 million plus. Also, Bride of Pinbot was another success - I hit the billion point shot!

Zen Pinball 2 will release on September 4, 2012 on PlayStation®Network for PS3 and PS Vita!

Fantastic news for Ps3 users. Now Zen and FX will be one and the same.

• BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Sweet. More pinball is always good. Haven't been playing much lately due to the TV being on the Olympics every night.

Notable pinball news of the recent past/present/near future:

First and foremost, Pinball Arcade update 3 is now available on Xbox 360, with Monster Bash and Gorgar contained inside.

Secondly, there is some sort of wacky crowdsourced fundraiser drive happening for Star Trek:TNG pinball, also for Pinball Arcade (similar to the Twilight Zone situation).

Lastly, some love for Zen Studios, who should be announcing a Popcap-themed table at PAX this weekend. Odds for it being a Plants vs Zombies table?

That would be cool. All they've put up on facebook for ages now are their non PBFX-games. Not saying that's bad, but it seems odd they'd let their best product fall to the wayside in the meantime.
    I wish I still played more. The last round of Marvel tables were actually quite good. I didn't spend the time with them they deserved ... The worst part of that is knowing that a chunk of that was due to the rather lame achievement overhauls. I liked the accomplishment of completing a table and having the 'badge' to show it. With that gone, it's really up to you to push through, which is admittedly less fun, and makes it impossible to glance at a friend's achievements and see what they have accomplished on a table.

I wish I still played more. The last round of Marvel tables were actually quite good. I didn't spend the time with them they deserved ... The worst part of that is knowing that a chunk of that was due to the rather lame achievement overhauls. I liked the accomplishment of completing a table and having the 'badge' to show it. With that gone, it's really up to you to push through, which is admittedly less fun, and makes it impossible to glance at a friend's achievements and see what they have accomplished on a table.

I totally agree with the achievement sentiment, and as lame as it is, it's true. Looks like the PvZ table has that same problem...

But yes, Plants vs Zombies table is now out on Xbox and for Zen Pinball 2 on the PS3, so get to it! I'd love some impressions. I've only managed the trial, and the green pinball is throwing me off.

Also, the Xbox back to school sale has Pinball FX 2 and the Marvel: Virtue and Vengeance packs at half price (400 points), so if you've been waiting, now is the time.

• MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    I just got FX2 for PS3 as well as bought the Marvel Avenger tables and the PvZ table.

My first game with the PvZ table, I kept getting Extra Ball after Extra Ball. Getting the MAIL multiball was pretty easy as well. You earn sunflowers and coins to try and buy plants that you can then put out to fight against the zombies that randomly appear.

It's fun, but seemed a little easy? I can easily see my kids just having a lot of fun with it though. And, once I get used to it, I think it's might have some interesting gameplay in it. I just have some trouble with shooting the Flower Pot hole constantly. It's in an odd place that I have trouble sinking.

I do enjoy it though, especially since I'm a pretty big fan of the PvZ game.

steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    y'all are doing this the easy way....

/me goes back to wrestling with my EM pin' that isn't resetting to 0 right....

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    So. New Zen Pinball 2 owner. What are the best tables, especially for a beginner?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    So'kay. Plants vs Zombies. Fielding six(!?) pinballs at once is kinda crazy.

• TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    The marvel pack is tempting but I'm not supposed to be spending money on any new games. But that's $1.25 a table.... Hmmmmm

Oh man. The hold sideways full-table view feature is awesome. And the touchscreen flipper controls work so well.
    So I can decide if I want to play 'console' or 'iOS' style on the fly. This is the bestest thing.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Tommatt wrote: »
    The marvel pack is tempting but I'm not supposed to be spending money on any new games. But that's $1.25 a table.... Hmmmmm
    Which marvel pack is $1.25 per table? All that packs I see are $9.99.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular

Cellerific posted about it being part of the Xbox back to school sale

Yep, Xbox Back to School sale. I don't know if it's Gold only, but it's the second Marvel pack, with Thor, Moon Knight, Ghost Rider, and X-Men. I'd say it's a better table selection than the newest Avengers-themed bundle, in my opinion.

As for PvZ, I bit on it, with the logic of "if I play it six times, it's paid for itself", but...

I'm not sure it's for me. The feel I get from it is a "fixed" The Avengers table, with the layout and wacky colored balls and all. 4 extra balls my first game made things go on for quite some time, even if I could never hit the flower pot when I wanted to (or finish Zombies Love Football).

Yes, it's charming, even if I don't dig Sunflower's narration, and no, it's not as repetitive as say, Paranormal, but after one full game I don't feel terribly compelled to go back to it.

I feel like Celloriffic is hitting the same point I did ...
    I still want to like this game, but it's hard to continue to devote massive amounts of time to certain tables, especially ones that practically 'play themselves' at a point. I get that out of a number of them at this stage of the game. There are others that are repetitive while taking longer to progress, but I somehow mind less (No Fear comes to mind here, along with X-Men [still a favourite]). In contrast, I'm never going to beat his score on Ms. Sposion Man because the table offers so little, and I don't want to hit the same 3 ramps for hours, praying that I get the bonus payout every time I hit the cannon. It's just not fun.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    <sigh> I've taken a break for a while but I need to get back on the pinball wagon. By my tally I have to pony up 10 bucks for the latest Marvel pack, 2.50 for the PvZ table, and I'm guessing 20 bucks now for all the tables available for the Pinball Arcade, right?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    So no ZP2 table recommendations?
    Willing to accept Pinball Arcade recommendations too?

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    all the tables have demos, so try any that look interesting to you! personally, i really like Mars, Earth Defense, and the Avengers marvel pack. the only real dud ive bought is the Ninja Gaiden table, and its not bad really its just confusing and strange.

anyone have thoughts on the Captain America table or the 2nd Marvel pack (the one with ghost rider, etc)? ive been eyeing them, now that ZP2 sucked me back in.

So no ZP2 table recommendations?
    Willing to accept Pinball Arcade recommendations too?

The first and second Marvel packs are, in my opinion, the highlights. X-Men and Blade are my two favourites, and some of the most dynamic tables in the game. Iron-Man, Spider Man, Wolverine and Moon Knight are all quite good. Thor and Ghost Rider are okay, nothing fantastic (Thor, in particular, has a colour scheme that makes it difficult to look at and figure out for a while). Single tables are harder to pick out. I think Earth Defense is great if you can take the time to learn it (surprisingly dynamic table with a shitload to do), and Excalibur isn't bad. Sorcerer's Lair is fine if you haven't played many other tables, but it does reuse a number of features found across other tables. The other ones are really a matter of taste. I *hate* Mars, personally, but at least a few here like it. Paranormal is hard to play more than once if you know what you're doing. The original Pinball FX tables are a waste of time, and the PBFX2 tables are so-so (Biolab is fantastic, again, provided you put in the time to figure it out some, while Rome is a great table that just has a pair of [arguably] poorly designed ramps).

*shrug*
    I should rate every table in a list and have it get thrown into the OP, at this point. Would save time whenever someone new asks.

I'll get PvZ-ball eventually, Persona is OM-NOM-NOMing on my soul at the moment.

@ArcticLancer: Thanks.

PvZ is just endless multiballs. i can never finish the underground mission personally, but i did get up to like 250 million on it.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I picked up PvZ and while I like it it's not a "play all the time" table. it's super-easy to get multiball and activat the kickbacks. It also gives out extra balls like candy. The missions are fun but (in my opinion) some of them are a bit obtuse. I'm still not sure what I'm supposed to do in the football mode, and some of the missions require a shot that's fairly hard to pull off because the ball is moving down the right side too fast to cradle it and make the shot carefully. Music and visuals are great, though, especially if you like the original game. It also apparently supports 3D apparently.

camo_sig2.png
    now that zen pinball 2 came out and i got real strung out on it all over again, i took the opportunity to pick up the rest of the tables that i didnt have. i gotta say, theres not really many (any) bad tables out there. the 2nd marvel pack is just awesome!