As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Legend Of Korra: Everything is going South

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Duck Dodgers turned out quite a bit better than it really had any right to be.

I think having a theme song sung by Tom Jones helped with that.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    how did we get to this point
    We're all a little looney.

And in this cartoony, we're invading your TV!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    please stop

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    don't stop
    don't stop
    don't stop
    talking to me

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    When does book 2 start?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    He's Hampton! I'm Plucky!

Dizzy Devil ducky!

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Furball's unlucky
    And Gogo is insane!

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    iVcyj63D5jySY.png

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    not sure I can believe a wiki article that doesn't cite any sources

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    this is not the anime thread

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    MrDapper wrote: »
    So according to Cracked that glove is sort of time period appropriate.
    ibnVtN555zki68.jpg

I really hope we get to see an Edison expy so that we get to see people bitch about how Avatar is ripping off Ghostbusters.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    What is that, a rerelease? Or the same stories just reanimated with better pacing and voiceacting?

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    What is an expy?

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote: »
    this is not the anime thread

Yeah I know but it is an "action" cartoon.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    What is an expy?

I had to look it up. Suffice to say that TV Tropes is full of people who love to hate things.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    What is that, a rerelease? Or the same stories just reanimated with better pacing and voiceacting?

new movie set between Buu's defeat and the epilogue of the series

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Apparently expy is a trope word.

FML

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    What is an expy?

I had to look it up. Suffice to say that TV Tropes is full of people who love to hate things.

I am not going to defend or shit on TV Tropes here, but the example image they use for this Trope seems to be not of expy's, but archetypes, which is a pretty different thing.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    What is an expy?

A character that an unofficial copy of another.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    So according to Cracked that glove is sort of time period appropriate.
    ibnVtN555zki68.jpg

I really hope we get to see an Edison expy so that we get to see people bitch about how Avatar is ripping off Ghostbusters.

2mff2b.jpg

Are you some kind of crazy person?

edit: Okay so it's a TVTropes word meaning "Exported Character". Basically a character similar to a character from another source. Alright, that's a dumb word but okay.

So I assume you're proposing a character based on Thomas Edison might show up. That sounds plausible.

What I don't get is how you jump from that to Legend of Korra having anything to do with Ghostbusters. As an expert on paranormal investigation and elimination I see very little to connect ghosts, ghost-busting or any of their equipment to Thomas Edison with the possible exception that both use electricity in some fashion.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Equally good question:

Why ask for Edison when the same time period had, you know, Tesla?

Not that he'd be a good fit either. Just wondering.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The sentiment he was trying to get across by using a trope word (which ended up causing more time to be wasted than time saved due to the confusion created from dropping it casually rather than explaining things up front) is that he hopes there will be a character that fills the same sort of character archetype as Edison did in Ghostbusters that makes an appearance in Korra so people will connect the two and summarily complain about it.

• Options
    dspimonidspimoni Registered User regular
    First time caller, long time listener. Why, out of curiosity, is there so much hate for TV Tropes here? Or should I not bother asking because it will cause more flames than the G-U-N topic?

Driving off on a tangent, I had a theory running that Amon made up the tragic death of his parents at the hands of A. Firebender to win over Sato (and his money).

Oh, and Edison was a douche, but people probably already know that one by now.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    We don't like TVTropes because it is characterized by a community that is either constantly whining about things, becoming alarmingly sexually-fixated on highly-specific details about shows (documenting instances in certain shows where a young female character's underwear is briefly visible for example) and the highly-insular bubble they've formed all the way down to unique lingo. It's unappealing.

In a way it's a lot of the things about the internet we try NOT to be as a community.

Also I still don't recall how Edison fits into Ghostbusters. That still seems like an odd non-sequitur unless it's from a comic I haven't read.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Dropping a TVTropes trope as an example/explanation of something is generally intellectually lazy and oftentimes reaching. You can see how reaching it can be just by reading the pages on the site where people will bend over backwards to link something to a trope. Dropping a trope term is basically identical to dropping the full medical name of a disease instead of just using the common name (like saying "I have rhinopharyngitis" instead of "I have a cold") in that it causes the average reader to have to go out of their way to look up the term to understand what's being said.

Also holy crap I wasn't really paying attention but yeah, there is no Edison in Ghostbusters. In my head I was thinking of Egon when typing that out and I didn't even notice the discrepancy. That makes what he said even more confusing now.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    but .. but .. some of the pages on tvtropes are hilarious D:

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Are people talking about the Loony Tunes show in here? I love me some Loony Tunes Show. Its like Seinfield for kids.

• Options
    denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    Shorty wrote: »
    hey twins

that was entertaining

you should make a thread that's just you two commenting on some stupid movie

a world of no

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    TVTropes is fine. The community is dumb, however every community has dumb people.

Regardless of how you feel about it, it's really silly to expect everyone to know about all kinds of tropes by name, and the whole benefit of referencing it is lost if people don't know what you're talking about.

However, there are plenty of tropes with self-explanatory titles. These should be 99% of the ones you actually throw around in casual conversation.

At the very least, whenever I've referenced a trope, I tried to include a link to it so anyone who doesn't know what it is can look it up effortlessly.

I avoid referencing it most of the time, though. It's more of a recreational site than an actual reference tool.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited August 2012
    dspimoni wrote: »
    First time caller, long time listener. Why, out of curiosity, is there so much hate for TV Tropes here?

A policy of absolute and complete tolerance, which has lead to a decent-sized portion of its community being super creepy since they know they can get away with it. Everyone's voice is valid! Protip: no, everyone's voice is not valid, some people deserve to be called out on their bullshit. Too bad TVT will actually ban you if you do that, though.

Tropes can be very useful when writing. Lots of the pages are good! But the community that powers that project is basically Mos Eisley without the cool smuggler and his furry friend.

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    hoodie13 wrote: »
    First time caller, long time listener. Why, out of curiosity, is there so much hate for TV Tropes here?

A policy of absolute and complete tolerance, which has lead to a decent-sized portion of its community being super creepy since they know they can get away with it. Everyone's voice is valid! Protip: no, everyone's voice is not valid, some people deserve to be called out on their bullshit. Too bad TVT will actually ban you if you do that, though.

Tropes can be very useful when writing. Lots of the pages are good! But the community that powers that project is basically Mos Eisley without the cool smuggler and his furry friend.

I've never seen it used as anything more than a tool for non-creatives to ridicule and knock down creatives. I'm sure SOMEONE nice is using it, but I've ONLY ever seen it used negatively.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Honestly, me too. I've heard writers saying that it helps them avoid the overly-used cliches and things, but usually when I see tropes come up elsewhere on the internet its someone breaking down literally everything about someone's creative work and ending with "You're not as original as you think you are."

A resource for writers is good. A tool for jackasses to recognize concepts but not realize what makes them interesting is not.

@hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I'm ever so sorry if I brought up a sensitive subject. I basically use the website by jamming the random button until I find a TV Show/Movie/Webcomic that I've never heard of before but might like. Heck, that's where I first heard about Avatar: The Last Airbender. Can't account much for the community, because I usually avoid such things. Except here it seems. You guys seem sane enough (for the time being).

dspimoni on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    iVcyj63D5jySY.png

Interesting that is a lot like the Russia's war vs Japan in the early 1900's
    But then Japan was not that great with planes until far later

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Expy... expy isn't a term invented by TV Tropes. It's sort of just a thing. I've heard it most in comic book circles though. Also, TV Tropes is probably the most effective way of finding some random TV Show, Cartoon, Book, Comic-Book, Movie that you'd like but otherwise never hear about. Other than that, eh.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    iVcyj63D5jySY.png

I should probably get over myself, but this seems more detailed than articles on actual battles, that actually happened. Anyway, how exactly does one make a fleet of planes and mechs in secret? There was that secret factory under the Sato mansion, so I imagine there was others, but how did all of those get built without the city government's notice?

dspimoni on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    The city government apparently consists of five people, only two of which actually seem to have any personality or capacity for independent thought

• Options
    I should probably get over myself, but this seems more detailed than articles on actual battles, that actually happened. Anyway, how exactly does one make a fleet of planes and mechs in secret? There was that secret factory under the Sato mansion, so I imagine there was others, but how did all of those get built without the city government's notice?

Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show. I should really just relax."

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    iVcyj63D5jySY.png

First of all, it's more detailed than most older battles (pre-1800s) because the number of first-hand accounts describing those battles is very limited. Contrast that with, for example, the Wikipedia entry on the Battle of the Bulge, or the Battle of Waterloo.

Also it's fair to say that, as the city has no idea what an airplane is, they can't exactly regulate the construction of an airfield. The airships used in the rest of the show can do things like vertical takeoff and landing, so there was no such thing as an airstrip beforehand.

Unless you're referring to the question of why didn't the government know there was a Sato-owned building on that spot of land, through which I may direct you to the concept of the "shell corporation" that most likely owned the official rights to the property.

This discussion has been closed.