As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Legend Of Korra: Everything is going South

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    The Geek wrote: »
    dspimoni wrote: »
    I should probably get over myself, but this seems more detailed than articles on actual battles, that actually happened. Anyway, how exactly does one make a fleet of planes and mechs in secret? There was that secret factory under the Sato mansion, so I imagine there was others, but how did all of those get built without the city government's notice?

Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show. I should really just relax."

Really, enough of it happened off-camera that you can really think of any plausible explanation you'd like and it will be a decent enough excuse.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I'm ever so sorry if I brought up a sensitive subject. I basically use the website by jamming the random button until I find a TV Show/Movie/Webcomic that I've never heard of before but might like. Heck, that's where I first heard about Avatar: The Last Airbender. Can't account much for the community, because I usually avoid such things. Except here it seems. You guys seem sane enough (for the time being).

Oh, don't be sorry! It's just that around here we sometimes get kind of up our own asses about how terrible places like TVTropes and Reddit and 4chan and stuff are.

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    best part about TVTropes is when someone calls someone else out in an article.

because i imagine this leads to a fight on the forum, where it becomes a game of one upping. And one of the people claims to have kissed a girl, but in reality just shared a water bottle with her.

• dspimonidspimoni Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    The whole secret factory thing was something my brother and I had discussed at length. Those seem to be fairly reasonable theories. By the way, if I were to just relax in the fact that it is just a show, I certainly wouldn't be posting here. ;)

If you really want to set off a firebomb on TV Tropes, start insinuating negative things about Joss Wheedon, who is their god or something.

No offense to Joss Wheedon of course, who's done a fairly good job with the stuffs he's done. Except Alien Resurrection.

dspimoni on
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    The whole secret factory thing was something my brother and I had discussed at length. Those seem to be fairly reasonable theories. By the way, if I were to just relax in the fact that it is just a show, I certainly wouldn't be posting here. ;)

If you really want to set off a firebomb on TV Tropes, start insinuating negative things about Joss Wheedon, who is their god or something.

No offense to Joss Wheedon of course, who's done a fairly good job with the stuffs he's done. Except Alien Resurrection.

I thought they didn't even use his script or something.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    edited August 2012
    Can't say I know the specifics, but he is credited for the writing.

dspimoni on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't think he's some kind of golden god, but I have enjoyed a majority of Whedon's works so I generally look forward to other stuff he does.

BLM - ACAB
  • LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod

Makes sense, considering TV Tropes started out as a thing entirely devoted to analyzing Buffy: The Vampire Slayer.

iwantanswers3.png
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Whedon did Buffy. It'd take like murder or something for me to seriously have an issue with him. Although Firefly is overrated and I haven't seen most of his other stuff. Wheaton, on the other hand, is in fact a god. A sexy, sexy god.

I will never understand the popularity of Wil Wheaton.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    He appeals to a niche

On the internet every niche is so loud it makes you look super popular

2x39jD4.jpg
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
  • LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I liked Wil Wheaton when he first resurfaced. His PAX keynote speech was great.

Now he seems too caught up in his own overblown popularity, and it just kind of gets on my nerves.

iwantanswers3.png
    He will rue the day he knocked me off the Ficly throne

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Wil Wheaton playing D&D with Gabe and Tycho and Kurtz will never stop being one of my favorite things ever.

also, Wheaton served enough time suffering for being The Boy on TNG. i figure this absolves him of any future sins.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Can't say I know the specifics, but he is credited for the writing.

According to the man himself, they used the script entirely but directed and acted it terribly. He might be right, they did hire a director who didn't speak english and hated his translator. Some of the acting is so painful if ruins scenes that might have been good.

But its also possible it still would have been a bad movie.

Quire.jpg
    Also, you know, a good writer can still write a bad script. Whedon's thing is character interactions which is not the best fit for the isolation themes in the Alien series. Let me put it this way: The good Alien movies use silence; good Whedon stuff uses lots of talking.

• Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    Haha, oh man. I rewatched Alien: Resurrection recently so it is still pretty fresh in my mind.

The script is easily the worst part of the movie.

I mean really. Seriously. It's fucking terrible.

And everyone else is just trying to sort of

deal with it, really. Trying to salvage it.

Spex, you admittedly do not like anything Whedon has done as I recall?

I haven't seen Alien: Resurrection, but pretty often the difference between good dialogue and bad dialogue is in the delivery

Untrue!

I like most of his X-Men and I fucking love The Avengers.

The stuff of his that I dislike I don't dislike because it's by him, it's because I dislike the various things he does.

This isn't me with a hate-boner for Whedon. The actors all do their very best in Alien: Resurrection. It's got fantastic art direction.

The script really is the worst part of that movie by far.

Okay, just checking, I thought you'd said that at some point

I don't like most of his stuff, that's true, but I don't actively dislike all of the stuff of his that I don't like.

The thing I have the most problems with is Firefly, for various reasons. Angel and Buffy I don't really care for, but don't mind, generally.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    Also, you know, a good writer can still write a bad script. Whedon's thing is character interactions which is not the best fit for the isolation themes in the Alien series. Let me put it this way: The good Alien movies use silence; good Whedon stuff uses lots of talking.

Hush.

Good day, sir.

(As for Resurrection, Whedon has taken his own shots at the overall quality of the movie, though that's not the same as saying it was his foulup.)

Spectre-x wrote: »
    I don't like most of his stuff, that's true, but I don't actively dislike all of the stuff of his that I don't like.

The thing I have the most problems with is Firefly, for various reasons. Angel and Buffy I don't really care for, but don't mind, generally.

Someone else who thinks Firefly is overrated? Hurray!

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    half the internet thinks that, the other half doesn't. both try to yell at each other louder than the other
    i too think firefly is overrated but really we don't need to start this decade old argument up again.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    To bring things on-topic-ish, anyone think Whedon might be able to write a good episode for Korra?

no

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    He'd probably plot it very well, and he'd be a great fit for Korra, Asami, Bolin, and Tenzin, but I can't think of any characters of his that are like Mako, and what we really need is a good Mako writer.

His dialogue also doesn't fit Korra's characters very well (maybe Ikki), though I'm sure he could adjust.

And he'd inevitably kill Lin or Bolin or Asami or Tenzin or

I'd say that Colossus in Astonishing X-Men is not too different from Mako, actually.

• SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    BE THE LEAF

BE THE LEAF

BE THE LEARGKH--

• BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    Because people keep citing it as if ut's
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Gundi wrote: »

Hush.

Good day, sir.

(As for Resurrection, Whedon has taken his own shots at the overall quality of the movie, though that's not the same as saying it was his foulup.)

His way of taking ownership has been saying its bad because of how much the plot was changed from what he originally wrote
    Which still doesn't explain the dialogue

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
    hahaha, man

the new Rules Post is amazing
    No Morrissey, Hitman 2 or TV Tropes

This is non-negotiable and includes Typing In Caps To Indicate You Are Referencing TVTropes.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I like Firefly simply because it's rare to get science fiction shows without aliens and the like.

Aliens can be interesting, but sometimes it's cool to see sci-fi more in line with Cowboy Bebop or Appleseed.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    This was not the discussion I was expecting

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    what were you expecting?

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    tumblr_m8ki375zhn1rptk5lo1_500.jpg
    Still brutally busy, so I’m digging into the archives. This is about as far back as I can dig (10+ years), as this was one of the three color illustrations I did for our initial pitch of Avatar. This image is in the art book, but it is a little small and printed too dark, so I thought it would be cool to show it here. As detailed in the book, we gave our pitch to Nickelodeon two weeks after coming up with the idea. That was a crazy, fertile two weeks.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
    edited August 2012
    Thank you for bringing us back Mr. Dapper. I was worried I had unleashed a monster.

Also, wow, 2 weeks between the original idea and the pitch is ridiculous.

dspimoni on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    tumblr_m8k4qm2kRK1qia6abo1_500.gif

tumblr_m8k4bgHDLo1qia6abo1_500.gif

tumblr_m8k3cujQWp1qia6abo1_500.png

Muse Among Men on
This discussion has been closed.