As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Remember, Remember the Sixth of November [2012 Presidential Election Thread]

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Really at this point the Democrats can continue to hammer away at the tax thing as much as they want. The Romney camp has openly stated that they will not release any further returns, so if they do then their own side is going to devour them for caving. As long as they don't, the Democrats have a free pass to make Mitt Romney look like a terrible person. Heck even if he does finally cave in to the pressure, that's just another flip-flop to add to the pile.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »
    Clevinger wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

So, uh, why was Candy Crowley picked to moderate the presidential debates instead of Soledad?
    Probably because Romney will never agree to show up if she does. I think even Obama would get uneasy if she got within ball kicking distance.

I doubt it, since Obama is telling the truth on the majority of issues. She's not some insane firebrand. She's just a regular journalist. She only seems crazily agressive due to how passive the rest of the media is. Obama has faced the media in the UK, and the questions you get there would make this woman swoon and collapse onto her fainting couch.

There must be some way we could lend you Paxo for a couple of months. Oh, the fun he would have.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »
    Clevinger wrote: »

So, uh, why was Candy Crowley picked to moderate the presidential debates instead of Soledad?
    Probably because Romney will never agree to show up if she does. I think even Obama would get uneasy if she got within ball kicking distance.

I doubt it, since Obama is telling the truth on the majority of issues. She's not some insane firebrand. She's just a regular journalist. She only seems crazily agressive due to how passive the rest of the media is. Obama has faced the media in the UK, and the questions you get there would make this woman swoon and collapse onto her fainting couch.

Sympathy pains. If you've ever seen somebody get kicked in the jimmies and not had yours try to retreat up your throat, then I assume you've also never slipped off the front of your bike seat.

• Options
    XobyteXobyte Registered User regular
    Brutal J wrote: »
    Xobyte wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »
    I have a feeling the Dems know exactly what Mitt is hiding in his returns. It always seemed to me that his Bain years would be the most interesting to see, but if they are asking for 5 years, they must know whatever is most damning is contained in those 5 years. The Amnesty thing seems the most likely.

The alternative is that he isn't hiding anything worse than a 13% tax rate, which is still damning enough. The Dems have him backed into a corner on this. He can't release them without looking weak. He can't stop the attacks without releasing them. He really, really, really goofed by not putting some out at the beginning of the year.

If there is something shady (illegal or just "how the hell is that legal?") in those five years then one really has to question Romney's judgement. I mean, he's been running for president that entire time for pete's sake.

I'm beginning to suspect it's his tithing to the church. There was an article posted earlier where he added something along the lines of "if you include that number goes up past 20%!"

My first thought was "Tithes to your church aren't taxes you fucking imbecile!"

My second thought was "Wait, aren't tithes supposed to be 10%? Shouldn't that number be at least 23%?"

It's probably pedantics and nitpicking, but it's had me thinking all morning.

Under Tithing has been a suggestion from other sources (and would explain Reid being all up in the taxes bidness because he's a mormon as well). And unlike christian church's, under tithing in the mormon church is a pretty hefty offense.

The Tithing argument never made sense to me. This would be such a bone-headed reason to not release returns. It would hurt him in what? Two states? While not releasing hurts him in all states. Also it's a big gamble for the Dems to push, if he did release his returns it could really backfire on them if the only thing in them was he wasn't giving the required amount to his church. It could work by bringing his unpopular religion to the forefront, but that seems like an unusually large gambit for the Obama campaign.

Romney can only be president for 8 years, but he'll be a mormon for the rest of his life. So if he's been shafting the church he could face penalties within the church.

And Romney's tax returns are guarenteed to show he's an extremely rich guy who pays less than most americans, his previous lies about his tax returns and continued failure to release them can in no way backfire on the democrats.

Isn't he also a Bishop or some other high ranking member of the church leadership? If the issue really is his tithing, it's potentially much worse for him than it simply affecting his campaign.

• Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    I have a feeling the Dems know exactly what Mitt is hiding in his returns. It always seemed to me that his Bain years would be the most interesting to see, but if they are asking for 5 years, they must know whatever is most damning is contained in those 5 years. The Amnesty thing seems the most likely.

The alternative is that he isn't hiding anything worse than a 13% tax rate, which is still damning enough. The Dems have him backed into a corner on this. He can't release them without looking weak. He can't stop the attacks without releasing them. He really, really, really goofed by not putting some out at the beginning of the year.

If there is something shady (illegal or just "how the hell is that legal?") in those five years then one really has to question Romney's judgement. I mean, he's been running for president that entire time for pete's sake.

I'm beginning to suspect it's his tithing to the church. There was an article posted earlier where he added something along the lines of "if you include that number goes up past 20%!"

My second thought was "Wait, aren't tithes supposed to be 10%? Shouldn't that number be at least 23%?"

Under Tithing has been a suggestion from other sources (and would explain Reid being all up in the taxes bidness because he's a mormon as well). And unlike christian church's, under tithing in the mormon church is a pretty hefty offense.

The Tithing argument never made sense to me. This would be such a bone-headed reason to not release returns. It would hurt him in what? Two states? While not releasing hurts him in all states. Also it's a big gamble for the Dems to push, if he did release his returns it could really backfire on them if the only thing in them was he wasn't giving the required amount to his church. It could work by bringing his unpopular religion to the forefront, but that seems like an unusually large gambit for the Obama campaign.

Romney can only be president for 8 years, but he'll be a mormon for the rest of his life. So if he's been shafting the church he could face penalties within the church.

And Romney's tax returns are guarenteed to show he's an extremely rich guy who pays less than most americans, his previous lies about his tax returns and continued failure to release them can in no way backfire on the democrats.

I'm sure being the first mormon president would go a long way in smoothing things over, but your right we're looking at this all wrong. It's not an either/or this or that thing, the obvious answer to what is Mitt Romney hiding in his taxes isn't

A. He took part in the amnesty program.
    B. He's rich as fuck and pays fuck all in taxes.
    C. Gives less than what he should to the church.

No, no, it's

D. All of the above.

Mitt Romney is too much of an entitled goose to be hiding just one thing in his tax returns.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Isn't he also a Bishop or some other high ranking member of the church leadership? If the issue really is his tithing, it's potentially much worse for him than it simply affecting his campaign.

Yeah he's a high ranking member, and I believe even a high ranking member when the church was exclusionary to black people. One of several questions Romney has never had to take, despite Obama getting pounded in 08 about Wright.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Yeah he's a high ranking member, and I believe even a high ranking member when the church was exclusionary to black people. One of several questions Romney has never had to take, despite Obama getting pounded in 08 about Wright.

the Wright attacks were a sign of desperation from the GOP.

Much like now their biggest political scandal from obama is what Solyndra?

• Options
    No biggest working scandal is the 700 million in cuts to medicare.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Also, the Mormon church is an extremely powerful and influential entity which cannot afford to have people making insufficient tithes to it. If Romney didn't tithe at the required rate, they might throw him out of the church and tell mormons to not vote for him.

They like oppressing people, but the higher ups love money more. Romney can't win if he is actively opposed by the Mormons.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    maybe Romney doesn't want to release his tax returns because he's actually been flat broke for years

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    And they're still riding the welfare work requirement lie pretty hard.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I like how at the end of that article, he calls Soledad a honey badger.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    I like how at the end of that article, he calls Soledad a honey badger.

Lets hope she doesn't wind up in Drug Rehab like the football player.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

That remains to be seen.

It's a "scandal" based on a lie. Some gain strength through repetition, some just end up pissing people off the more the hear it after knowing the truth. Rev Wright is a good example with that, it boosted Hilary for a bit when it first came out, but by the time the Republicans used it everyone knew the context and stop giving a shit months earlier. Same with the Ayers shit.

Given this is actually based on policy it may have more legs, but we'll see, I don't think the Romney campaign will have the savvy to not fuck it up, much less carry it all the way to November.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

That remains to be seen.

It's a "scandal" based on a lie. Some gain strength through repetition, some just end up pissing people off the more the hear it after knowing the truth. Rev Wright is a good example with that, it boosted Hilary for a bit when it first came out, but by the time the Republicans used it everyone knew the context and stop giving a shit months earlier. Same with the Ayers shit.

Given this is actually based on policy it may have more legs, but we'll see, I don't think the Romney campaign will have the savvy to not fuck it up, much less carry it all the way to November.

It probably doesn't help their case that they're advocating the exact same thing only instead of using the money to help people they want to give it to rich businessmen.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Another right wing domestic terror group just shot and killed a few police officers.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    See you guys are hearing it from real news sources, but to the fox news crowd this attack is exactly what they already believe and its working.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SerukoSeruko Ferocious Kitten of The Farthest NorthRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Uh, why did the Romney campaign release someone's email address like that? As in what was their stated goal?

the claim is that it was an error, but the message is the same one they gave to reporters in Poland.

"How are you going to play Dota if your fingers and bitten off? You can't. That's how" -> Carnarvon
    "You can be yodeling bear without spending a dime if you get lucky." -> reVerse
    "In the grim darkness of the future, we will all be nurses catering to the whims of terrible old people." -> Hacksaw
    "In fact, our whole society will be oriented around caring for one very decrepit, very old man on total life support." -> SKFM
    I mean, the first time I met a non-white person was when this Vietnamese kid tried to break my legs but that was entirely fair because he was a centreback, not because he was a subhuman beast in some zoo ->yotes
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    DAMN it is one hot summer

a couple more shootings and we're going to have predators down here

and the only glover we got right in fighting shape right now is donald

and he...can't do shit against predators.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Another right wing domestic terror group just shot and killed a few police officers.

?

A cursory Googling for police related shootings is primarily listing the events in South Africa, and something about Texas officers killing a gunman who killed a cop, among other people.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    DAMN it is one hot summer

a couple more shootings and we're going to have predators down here

and the only glover we got right in fighting shape right now is donald

and he...can't do shit against predators.

At least he can fight off aliens. In his (highly conceptual) cargo loader.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Seruko wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Uh, why did the Romney campaign release someone's email address like that? As in what was their stated goal?

the claim is that it was an error, but the message is the same one they gave to reporters in Poland.

Ah, so it was definitely on purpose. As I said, those who sacrifice someone else's privacy don't deserve it themselves.

• Options
    See you guys are hearing it from real news sources, but to the fox news crowd this attack is exactly what they already believe and its working.

Fox News crowd doesn't count; they've already made up their minds. It's like saying the Rev. Wright thing made people think he was a Kenyan Muslim Commie-Nazi. These people's minds are already made up; it's just something for them to point to, and it's only a matter of when they point if anyone else will care or just roll their eyes.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

?

A cursory Googling for police related shootings is primarily listing the events in South Africa, and something about Texas officers killing a gunman who killed a cop, among other people.

Yeah I'm not seeing anything either.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

?

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/40765_Developing-_Anti-Government_Terrorists_Murder_Two_Louisiana_Sheriffs

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I'm liking the tea party ads.
    jbQkU.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2012

?

I'm guessing the Lousianna police ambush yesterday.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/16/justice/louisiana-officers-shot/index.html

If you binged you would have got this shiz.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    jbQkU.jpg

Okay... that's not bad at all.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Still catching up with this thread but one of my friends posted this on facebook. I figured it's worth sharing here.
    So yesterday I got a call from one of those political survey people. Heres the conversation:
    Interviewer: Good Morning, My name is ______ and I am doing a political poll survey for the presidental election. Do you have the time to answer some questions?
    Me: sure
    Interviewer: Great! First, do you plan to vote this election?
    Me: Yup
    Him: And who do you plan to vote for sir?
    Me: Whoever I feel like
    Him: .....so you are currently indecisive sir?
    Me: Nope
    Him: ......So who do you plan to vote for sir?
    Me: When I vote, it will be for whoever I feel is right
    Him: Ok...well where do you currently stand sir?
    Me: On my feet
    Him: Sigh.....I meant democrate or republican sir?
    Me: Well Im a little bit smart but I like guns
    Him: Sir..
    Me: Look the better question you should ask is if Im a conservative or liberal
    Him: Ok sir...are you a conservative or a liberal?
    Me: Yes
    Him: .....(hangs up)
    My inner troll was giggling like a kid

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    jbQkU.jpg

Hmmm all that did was remind me that it was President Obama that ordered Seal Team 6 to take out Bin Laden...

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    jbQkU.jpg

I'll never get used to "I disagree with the other guy" not being enough, that it has to be, "GOING TO KILL AMERICA AS WE KNOW IT."

That reminds me, on my way to the bank today I saw a George W. Bush "Miss me?" bumper sticker.

• Options
    He sure showed that pollster trying to do his job. And I kind of doubt the story the few times I've been polled it was by a robot, not a person.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Not even Republicans miss Bush.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Can we please stop talking about religion. Separation of church and state ring a bell? Candidate's religious beliefs and activities (including tithes paid) shouldn't be part of the debate. All Mormons vote for Romney, and so do all good Christians, since Obama secretly hates Jesus with all his secret Muslim heart.

Now that that's out of the way, let's get back to real issues like why Obama travelled back in time to close a car factory before he was president, and why he is so addicted to lowering the dignity of his office. I think the answer to both questions is his deep hatred of America.

• Options

?

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/40765_Developing-_Anti-Government_Terrorists_Murder_Two_Louisiana_Sheriffs

If only there had been some DHS report about this kind of thing that one party of our government lost its shit over despite being proven entirely right...

Well to be honest the guy who wounded a person outside of a right wing hate group did turn out to not like them for their views, so Both sides are bad you know how to vote for.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Can we please stop talking about religion. Separation of church and state ring a bell? Candidate's religious beliefs and activities (including tithes paid) shouldn't be part of the debate. All Mormons vote for Romney, and so do all good Christians, since Obama secretly hates Jesus with all his secret Muslim heart.

Now that that's out of the way, let's get back to real issues like why Obama travelled back in time to close a car factory before he was president, and why he is so addicted to lowering the dignity of his office. I think the answer to both questions is his deep hatred of America.

I get that you're being sarcastic about it, but the real-world sincerely-meant examples of this kind of thinking make me wish that I could use Occam's Razor to slash throats.

SammyF on
  • Options
    jbQkU.jpg

Obama's such a failure that it is the patriotic duty of all American soldiers to kill the commander in chief? Maybe they are referring to how he used his wondrous time machine to help plan 9/11 with his other secret Muslim conspirators, in addition to using it to close car factories before he was president?

• Options
    He sure showed that pollster trying to do his job. And I kind of doubt the story the few times I've been polled it was by a robot, not a person.

You man a Robo-American. Stop keeping Romney's people down, you silly goose.

http://thinkprogress.org/security/2012/08/17/709231/founder-of-obama-swift-boating-group-im-a-birther/
    Hey, one of the Obama swift boat guys is a birther. Why am I not surprised.

• Options
    Birthers, proof we don't do enough to help the mentally ill in america.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Birthers, proof we don't do enough to help the mentally ill in america.

One advantage of Romney as a candidate is he is immune to birthers, since he has "made in the USA" ethched next to his serial number.

This discussion has been closed.