As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Remember, Remember the Sixth of November [2012 Presidential Election Thread]

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    He sure showed that pollster trying to do his job. And I kind of doubt the story the few times I've been polled it was by a robot, not a person.

Yeah story about guy being a dick isn't particularly impressive or believable.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exchange/baker-does-paul-ryan-know-budget-185617687.html
    Numbers Don't Lie

This is not a vicious anti-Ryan attack coming from hyper-partisan Democrats. This is what the analysis of his budget by the non-partisan CBO shows. It's right there in the fifth row of Table 2.

The table shows that in 2040, Representative Ryan would allot an amount equal to 4.75 percent of GDP to all these other areas of government including defense spending. By 2050, Ryan's allocation for these areas, including defense, falls to 3.75 percent of GDP.

The defense budget is currently a bit over 4.0 percent of GDP. Ryan has indicated that he would like to maintain or even increase this level of spending. The arithmetic is then straightforward. In 2040, Ryan would leave less than 0.75 percent of GDP for areas of spending that currently require more than five times this amount. In 2050, all these areas of spending would literally have to be zeroed out as defense spending will take up every cent and more that Ryan has left in his budget.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    I'm liking the tea party ads.
    jbQkU.jpg

Obama's such a failure that it is the patriotic duty of all American soldiers to kill the commander in chief? Maybe they are referring to how he used his wondrous time machine to help plan 9/11 with his other secret Muslim conspirators, in addition to using it to close car factories before he was president?

Oh shit I thought the ad wanted me to bomb goldman sachs

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    Can we please stop talking about religion. Separation of church and state ring a bell? Candidate's religious beliefs and activities (including tithes paid) shouldn't be part of the debate. All Mormons vote for Romney, and so do all good Christians, since Obama secretly hates Jesus with all his secret Muslim heart.

Now that that's out of the way, let's get back to real issues like why Obama travelled back in time to close a car factory before he was president, and why he is so addicted to lowering the dignity of his office. I think the answer to both questions is his deep hatred of America.

While I would like to spend some time exploring Obama's misuse of the presidential tardis, we really can't drop mormonism.

Because mormonism is some odd shit

Not in dogma

but in practice - mormons are nice individual people in the same proportion as everybody else

but the state of utah can really come across as a zombie in a suit of shiny plate sometimes. It looks like a knight in shining armor, but something stinks from time to time.

Separation of church and state is seen as a problem here. A bug, not a feature. It is very begrudgingly given when truly insisted on.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I like that a nontrivial percentage of the public and almost all the media still buy Ryan as a serious budget fixer when it doesn't fix it until 2040 and that's assuming 3% unemployment

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exchange/baker-does-paul-ryan-know-budget-185617687.html
    Numbers Don't Lie

This is not a vicious anti-Ryan attack coming from hyper-partisan Democrats. This is what the analysis of his budget by the non-partisan CBO shows. It's right there in the fifth row of Table 2.

The table shows that in 2040, Representative Ryan would allot an amount equal to 4.75 percent of GDP to all these other areas of government including defense spending. By 2050, Ryan's allocation for these areas, including defense, falls to 3.75 percent of GDP.

The defense budget is currently a bit over 4.0 percent of GDP. Ryan has indicated that he would like to maintain or even increase this level of spending. The arithmetic is then straightforward. In 2040, Ryan would leave less than 0.75 percent of GDP for areas of spending that currently require more than five times this amount. In 2050, all these areas of spending would literally have to be zeroed out as defense spending will take up every cent and more that Ryan has left in his budget.

Damn, not Yahoo, too?!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    He sure showed that pollster trying to do his job. And I kind of doubt the story the few times I've been polled it was by a robot, not a person.

Yeah story about guy being a dick isn't particularly impressive or believable.

No pollster ever phrases questions like that. Never.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Any budget that purports to resolves shit into 2040 should be laughed at.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I like that a nontrivial percentage of the public and almost all the media still buy Ryan as a serious budget fixer when it doesn't fix it until 2040 and that's assuming 3% unemployment

Yeah but once Mitt Romney has a less than 1% tax rate he'll be able to hire 5% of Amercia with that extra 12% he kept

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Which is why my friend treated the guy the way he did because he could tell it wasn't a legit pollster.

• Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular

Yeah but once Mitt Romney has a less than 1% tax rate he'll be able to hire 5% of Amercia with that extra 12% he kept

Incidentally, their main job will be to empty, count, clean, and refill Mitt Romney's money pool.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    it could have been a very local one

or someone who was just doing calls for a local candidate.

In any case, more fun and more productivity could have been had playing it out a bit

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Birthers, proof we don't do enough to help the mentally ill in america.

One advantage of Romney as a candidate is he is immune to birthers, since he has "made in the USA" ethched next to his serial number.

Out of parts from Japan

• Options
    Brutal J wrote: »

Incidentally, their main job will be to empty, count, clean, and refill Mitt Romney's money pool.

False: the Swiss are already responsible for cleaning Mitt Romney's money.

• Options
    SammyF wrote: »
    Brutal J wrote: »

False: the Swiss are already responsible for cleaning Mitt Romney's money.

And who's more trustworthy than a swiss banker?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

It will never work, because they will be offset by the armies of lawyers and accountants who will be out of work under his new system.

I'm pretty sure that Romney's plan is as follows:

1. Stategically direct spending so that unemployment and poverty wind up concentrated almost entirely in a few continguous states (but he will divert attention by making huge strides in lower level technical training for their students).

2. Spin these states off and sell to China.

3. Over night, unemployment and poverty in America will drop to all time lows, and since everyone in those states will be poor anyway, they'll accept China style wages and work conditions, allowing US companies to tap skilled, trained workers to produce cheap goods without having to incur the cost of shipping them from China.

4. Romney will usher in a new age of prosperity for all Americans (since the people who don't benefit won't be Americans anymore).

5. Just as his second term is coming to a close, he'll sell the remaining states to the highest bidder for an absolute fortune (the balance sheet will be REALLY strong) and distribute the proceeds (less his 20% carried interest) to his campaign donors.

Now you'll never have to wonder why people are throwing so much money at Romney's campaign. They are betting on his proven business record, because this is a business venture.

• Options
    XobyteXobyte Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Another right wing domestic terror group isolated incident just shot and killed a few police officers.

FTFY.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    Numbers Don't Lie

Damn, not Yahoo, too?!

I will say that this is why I don't believe the Obama destroying Medicare thing will stick, because the media in general hasn't ran with it. CNN of all people has been criticizing it, and if only Fox News is running it, only the true believers, to borrow from Stan Lee, are going to believe it.

• Options

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    http://mediamatters.org/video/2012/08/17/hannity-paul-ryan-has-become-a-national-sex-sym/189420

And shit that didn't take long. I wonder if Hannity got stars in his eyes and sat up a little straighter on the couch when Paul Ryan dropped his first wonk.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I like how at the end of that article, he calls Soledad a honey badger.

100% awesome, because she is

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Johnny, yeah, I'm a little disappointed with him for not playing it out a bit by using serious answers for the first 2-3 questions because he would have probably gotten questions after that that would have hinted at the guy's aim.

Anyways, I'm a bit amazed we haven't seen the accountants and tax lawyers for the rich revolt yet. I'm pretty sure the republican end game with getting lower taxes is to simply things enough that they can fire the armies of accountants and tax lawyers they have in order to save more money.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    http://mediamatters.org/video/2012/08/17/hannity-paul-ryan-has-become-a-national-sex-sym/189420

And shit that didn't take long. I wonder if Hannity got stars in his eyes and sat up a little straighter on the couch when Paul Ryan dropped his first wonk.

All part of a plan to make abstinance only education a success.

On the other article you linked, I do like how Obama has said fuck it and basically decided to use the applauded
    by Republicans executive power to do shit that needs to be done. "You guys can't decide? Well, fuck it, I'm gonna have to fix the country." People running for Congress this year against Republicans should really hit in their ads shit like this, to show what the jobs jobs jobs House has really done.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Xobyte wrote: »
    Another right wing domestic terror group isolated incident just shot and killed a few police officers.

FTFY.

These guys had loose ties to a group that didn't recognize any authority higher than county sheriff. So while they're probably technically super far beyond-the-fringe right wing, it's not like they'll be lining up to vote for Romney.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Any budget projections past the next election are worthless.

Any budget projections past the next 14 elections are :rotate: .

• Options
    Rachel has pointed this out, but sitting republican congress people are literrally running campaigns that act like they are trying to oust the democrats from the seat they currently occupy. That's how unpopular congress is right now, incumbents are running as challengers.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Paul Ryan's reviving the teleprompter joke, because the Romney campaign has to embrace every black stereotype.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    The rumor about Obama replacing Biden with Hillary is a really retarded rumor that I can't believe some people believe.
    Paul Ryan's reviving the teleprompter joke, because the Romney campaign has to embrace every black stereotype.

Link?

Couscous on
  • Options
    Well the Biden with Hillary thing did lead to the epic Carney put down of John McCain. Is it any surprise that Carney was Biden's press secretary?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The rumor about Obama replacing Biden with Hillary is a really retarded rumor that I can't believe some people believe.

Link?

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/08/paul-ryan-teleprompter-joke.php?ref=fpblg

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Look, let's not mince words.

The line up to propose to Stephanie Cutter and Soledad O'Brien starts to the left.

She is just kicking the shit out of this whiteboard thing.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    I want to think Stephanie married a man with a last name of Cutter purely beause it fit her personality.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Link?

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/08/paul-ryan-teleprompter-joke.php?ref=fpblg
    The fun came to an end when Romney emerged as the presumptive nominee. Not only does Romney employ prompters often himself, he actually defended Obama’s use of them in off-camera footage given to Gawker by the short-lived Fox News mole.

“It does make some sense,” Romney told Fox’s Sean Hannity in the footage. “It keeps you from saying something you don’t mean, you get the message out.”
    So considering that Romney probably implicitly supports this, flip flop number 2135?

• Options
    Well Romney doesn't support teleprompters the video that showed he did was released by that fox news mole, and was never supposed to air. I mean it had the lord of trotting that talking point out Sean Hannity saying you have to use them.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    maybe Romney doesn't want to release his tax returns because he's actually been flat broke for years
    Of Course!!

• Options
    I'm pretty sure Paul Ryan actually has a couple of teleprompters hidden somewhere in the pockets of his four-sizes-too-large jacket.

• Options
    www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/wp/2012/08/17/gops-new-attack-in-virginia-obama-will-cut-defense-spending/
    For the second time today, the issue of the looming $500 billion in defense cuts — part of what’s known as “sequestration” — has come up on the campaign trail.

First it was Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell (R) who raised the issue at a Paul Ryan rally in Glen Allen.

Now, it’s Rep. Frank Wolf (R-Va.), who is addressing supporters ahead of Ryan at West Springfield High School.

“Sequestration means that we may have thousands of people, millions nationwide, losing their jobs,” Wolf told the crowd.

Government does not create jobs unless it is building shit to murder people with.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

The ending of this video is great

• Options
    www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/wp/2012/08/17/gops-new-attack-in-virginia-obama-will-cut-defense-spending/
    For the second time today, the issue of the looming $500 billion in defense cuts — part of what’s known as “sequestration” — has come up on the campaign trail.

First it was Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell (R) who raised the issue at a Paul Ryan rally in Glen Allen.

Now, it’s Rep. Frank Wolf (R-Va.), who is addressing supporters ahead of Ryan at West Springfield High School.

“Sequestration means that we may have thousands of people, millions nationwide, losing their jobs,” Wolf told the crowd.

Government does not create jobs unless it is building shit to murder people with.

In defense of Frank Wolf, he realized what sequestration was going to do to Virginia politics around the same time I did, and basically told Grover Norquist to suck his dick during a floor speech in the House shortly thereafter as he called on fellow Republicans to back off their strict no-taxes stance.

I guess he has since then remembered that he's stuck on the same ticket as George Allen.

This discussion has been closed.