As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

80s action stars! You're not [Expendables 2]!

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    the idea that chuck norris gets AN EPIC ENTRANCE makes me want to see this movie way less than I would have if I'd heard that chuck norris gets horribly murdered in this because fuck chuck norris

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    nah geebs

7656367.jpg
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    it's past the point where I can tolerate chuck norris or any of the shit he does or says

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    The movie made 28 million last weekend which was below expectations.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    look the internet is to blame, not norris

he hasn't said any more crazy shit than the other 80's action icons

but since internet jokes, any time the man did or said anything, it became good fodder to further the meme

7656367.jpg
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    I'm with Geebs. The only thing that doesn't have me as pumped as I can be for this film is Chuck Norris. Because fuck Chuck Norris.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I'm with Geebs. The only thing that doesn't have me as pumped as I can be for this film is Chuck Norris. Because fuck Chuck Norris.

Nope.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Hopefully I'll be able to see this movie soon. Had a lot of stuff come up that means I won't have the time or money for a lot of side stuff.

On Dec. 27, 1820, Thomas Jefferson wrote about his vision for the University of Virginia (chartered in 1819), "This institution will be based on the illimitable freedom of the human mind. For here we are not afraid to follow the truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error as long as reason is left free to combat it."
    But what should happen 200 years later when our public schools and universities avoid the testing of truths? Or suppress alternate opinions because they are unpopular or politically incorrect? Or no longer tolerate opinions now considered errors or obsolete by the elite? What happens when sociopolitical agendas or scientific paradigms dominate academic views to the exclusion of a minority even being mentioned?

What happens when the political and public educational pendulum swings from concern for the tyranny of sectarianism in Jefferson's day to secularism in ours? What happens when U.S. public schools become progressive indoctrination camps?

Dr. Jim Nelson Black, founder and senior policy analyst of the Sentinel Research Associates in Washington, D.C., wrote an excellent book, "Freefall of the American University." In it, he documents the clear biases pervading our public academic settings. Among that lopsidedness is the intentional training of students to disdain America, freely experiment sexually, forcefully defend issues like abortion and homosexuality, as well as become cultural advocates for political correctness, relativism, globalization, green agendas and tolerance for all.

One of the primary ways these educative platforms are spread is by recruiting and retaining faculty members who reflect and teach them.

Instead of teaching world history, they're now teaching Glee history.
    Instead of gym, students go straight to the shower room and spend the full hour soaping each other up.

Instead of teaching abstinence during sex education class, instructors hand out copies of the Kama Sutra and a list of where you can get black market morning-after pills if the free clinic is closed.

Only lesbians can enroll in woodshop class and musical theater is mandatory to all students.

Any mention of Jesus Christ in any book has been crossed out and replaced with the name: Barbra Streisand.

Nope sorry, the Internet is not to blame for Chuck Norris being a homophobic out-of touch douchebag who believes American public schools are "progressive indoctrination camps" who hire teachers to teach kids to become gay-loving religion-hating abortion supporters. Oh, and he's a "birther" also, and also thinks the gay-hating Boy Scouts are the best thing to happen to this country. But I'm sure the Internet is to blame for that too.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    "Instead of teaching world history, they're now teaching Glee history"

Well he has a point...

"Instead of gym, students go straight to the shower room and spend the full hour soaping each other up."

Fuck off Norris.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Where is Antonio Banderas? Why isn't he in it?

because you're terrible and have bad opinions

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    i'm not saying that chuck norris is not an awful human being. most of the 80's action stars are awful human beings. arnie and his mistress and seagal and his sex dungeons are prime examples.

the point is that no one would give a shit about what chuck norris had to say if it wasn't for the internet because he wasn't even remotely relevant anymore until the chuck norris jokes

7656367.jpg
    Usagi wrote: »
    Also, I think 2 missed a great opportunity with Gunnar
    How awesome would it have been if his bomb actually worked?

Seriously. I'm bummed that they went for the cheap joke instead of actually making his background relevant.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    the idea that chuck norris gets AN EPIC ENTRANCE makes me want to see this movie way less than I would have if I'd heard that chuck norris gets horribly murdered in this because fuck chuck norris

I am pretty tired of Chuck Norris shit and his scenes were good. Get over yourself and enjoy the ride.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    i'm not saying that chuck norris is not an awful human being. most of the 80's action stars are awful human beings. arnie and his mistress and seagal and his sex dungeons are prime examples.

the point is that no one would give a shit about what chuck norris had to say if it wasn't for the internet because he wasn't even remotely relevant anymore until the chuck norris jokes

Also I'm not going to the movie to support the political ideology of each and every actor in the film. I'm going to the movie to be entertained. Save your slacktivism for facebook rants. (obviously not directed at you TLB)

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    My sister believes Barack Obama doesn't have a birth certificate. Guess I better beat her over the head with how awful a person she is until she changes her mind.

Can we get over our moral outrage to enjoy a movie in which people are killed by the hundreds because they're bad guys?

I'm seeing the movie anyway. I was just agreeing with the "fuck Chuck Norris" thing Geebs said, and then somebody was like "nope", so I posted my reason for saying "fuck Chuck Norris". Chuck Norris has never, nor will never be the reason I spend money on anything, plus it doesn't help that the best things he's contributed to cinema are fucking Walker Texas Ranger, and getting his ass handed to him by Bruce Lee.

Which is all pretty irrelevant to him being in the film, because he's enjoyable in the film. Which is what matters.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    plus it doesn't help that the best things he's contributed to cinema are fucking Walker Texas Ranger, and getting his ass handed to him by Bruce Lee.

nope sorry this is not true

invasion usa, hero and the terror, the missing in action movies, the delta force movies, lone wolf mcquade, the hitman, the octagon, and sidekicks are all rad as fuck

7656367.jpg
    okay

maybe not sidekicks

7656367.jpg
    plus it doesn't help that the best things he's contributed to cinema are fucking Walker Texas Ranger, and getting his ass handed to him by Bruce Lee.

nope sorry this is not true

invasion usa, hero and the terror, the missing in action movies, the delta force movies, lone wolf mcquade, the hitman, the octagon, and sidekicks are all rad as fuck

I have seen none of these, but have heard okay things about MIA and Delta Force. I might, might, see those.

invasion usa is phenomenal, sweeney

it is in my top ten greatest 80's action movies

that is how good it is

7656367.jpg
    invasion usa is phenomenal, sweeney

it is in my top ten greatest 80's action movies

that is how good it is

I just looked it up, and am definitely seeing it.

For Billy Drago and Richard Lynch.

billy drago is sentient scum

i say this with love

but goddamn he actually leaves a trail of slime whenever he enters and exits the screen

just the best kind of villain

7656367.jpg
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    That's the guy who directed The Good, the Bad, and the Weird too

This makes me so excited. SO EXCITED. hell of a way for him to make his American premier

and though I don't know the writer, the supervising writer is impressive. Dude who wrote Bourne Ultimatum, Adjustment Beaurueue, and Ocean's Twelve

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
    Futore wrote: »
    the supervising writer is impressive. Dude who wrote Adjustment Bureau

sold

Druhim wrote: »
    Which is all pretty irrelevant to him being in the film, because he's enjoyable in the film. Which is what matters.

:^:

And invasion USA is glorious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygHGBCMKhRA

Does Van Damme do his signature kick? I'm off to see it in a few hours.

jcvd does many kicks

many many many kicks

7656367.jpg
    Futore wrote: »
    the supervising writer is impressive. Dude who wrote Adjustment Bureau

sold

Well, he adapted the screenplay from the Philip K Dick story.

But he directed it too, so I would guess your opinion still holds up

ETqXK.png
    i'm never going to stop mixing up the adjustment bureau and source code

7656367.jpg
    holy shit. I was looking for an action movie on netflix to watch while I eat quesadillas, thanks to this thread.

started up Small Soldiers.

two minutes in, Dennis Leary's secretary that is supposed to be a babe is named Ms. Kegel

ETqXK.png
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    If Jackie Chan is in the next one, I want him to say, "I don't want no trouble."

If Harrison Ford is in that next one, I want him to say, "Get off my plane."

b1ehrMM.gif
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    If Jackie Chan is in the next one, I want him to say, "I don't want no trouble."

If Harrison Ford is in that next one, I want him to say, "I know"

no

villainous jackie chan should talk like a supervillain and say I CRAVE TROUBLE in expendables 3

7656367.jpg
    Perfect.

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    The Expendables burst into a warehouse to find that it's a storage facility for a furniture store with chairs and ladders everywhere.

In the middle is Jackie Chan, calmly cracking his knuckles.

b1ehrMM.gif
    jackie chan is the triad leader

a martial arts brawl between chan and norris, done right, would be amazing

7656367.jpg
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    The Expendables burst into a warehouse to find that it's a storage facility for a furniture store with chairs and ladders everywhere.

In the middle is Jackie Chan, calmly cracking his knuckles.
    On his back is a baby he kidnapped in a harness

Antimatter on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    no

villainous jackie chan should talk like a supervillain and say I CRAVE TROUBLE in expendables 3

YOU WANT TROUBLE? YOU FOUND IT!

oh man city hunter

what a messed up idea

7656367.jpg