As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crusader Kings 2 Succession/Learning Game

• Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    Ever had a king that just would not die? My king is now pushing 80, has outlived 2 or 3 different wives and 7 of his 10 children, including the heir I wanted to take over.

After about 40 years of being king (I think my king took over when he was 30) I had to keep throwing my heir in jail to stop him from usurping half the kingdom - guess he got bored of waiting. Now that he's dead my heir is a complete retard (He has 0 in 3 different stats) but I pissed off so many people trying to clean up things for my heir that I can get him assassinated so the next in line can inherent instead.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    The people who never die for me tend to be the people I'm inheriting from. I had a Queen of England I was set to inherit live til 87.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    It's fiiiine
    He's fiiiiiiine
    Everything's gonna be fiiiiiiiine!

Will probably want to divorce and remarry someone with amazing stewardship, but he's got a bunch of daughters coming of age for alliances, only one son which makes the succession easy, a jihad we're winning to cover him with his vassals for a little while, and only one meaningful pretender... Which yeah probably want to get that guy locked up cuz he's totally gonna rebel.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    The expansion of my Kingdom of Georgia is going along quite well. It seems that every couple of years (a decade at most) either one of the surrounding powerful Muslim rulers or the BE get a minor rebellion on their hands thats adjacent to my border. As long as I've got a fabricated claim on hand, I can rush in there and conquer it for myself without pissing off the rulers.

Couple this with marrying my sons/grandsons into Duchies that one day may be theirs, and thing's are going quite smoothly. Well compared to the current succession game haha; Georgia isn't even on the map! I'll screen shot it tonight

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Speaking of weird things...
    3519zx5.jpg

You Dirty Old Man...

Yogo on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    So, is it better to have counties in your demense or just have direct control of barnoies/cities?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Ohhhhhhhhhh that's... No, just no. Out of his whole court his first choice is her!?
    I hope you clicked the first option and will keep us abreast of any disgusting developments

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    It's usually best to own any baronies in your capital, because that way the bonus from +troops/+gold applies to two castles. If you own a town you take a -30% penalty the other way I think, not sure if that's worth from a gold perspective, but the levy would be small either way.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    the capital gets a plus troops plus gold bonus? I didn't even know that.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Assuming you have your steward & marshal there, yes

• Options
    Well, it's because most people have their martial and steward hanging out there.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    SanderJK wrote: »
    It's usually best to own any baronies in your capital, because that way the bonus from +troops/+gold applies to two castles. If you own a town you take a -30% penalty the other way I think, not sure if that's worth from a gold perspective, but the levy would be small either way.

I've been thinking about how to address this problem tactfully and haven't come up with many good solutions, so it may be a good topic for discussion.

The obvious way is to get your baron to hate you so he rebels, allowing you to crush his puny garrison, throw him in jail and revoke his title. But what if he doesn't hate you? What if he's a dutiful vassal with no grander ambitions or claims? You can't ask for it nicely, he's not mad haha, so what can you do?

Revoking his title without warning gives a pretty harsh penalty (especially if you're a king or looking to soon expand into a kingdom)
    Giving him the title of Court Jester isn't a big enough slap in the face.
    Throwing him into jail without cause isn't really going to do the job either, doubly so if you don't have a reason.
    Assassinate him in the hopes that his heir is an ambitious little bastard?

I've found that if a vassal already hates you but doesn't hate you quite enough, raising all his troops and marching them to the end of the earth works well, but it's a bit of a stretch to try and get a -100 or greater opinion penalty based on raised levies.

Thinking about it though... Can you order your Chancellor to chalk-up some bullshit claim and press it? Or does that only work for Counties?

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Well if you created the baron, rather than giving it to someone who actually has a family...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I took over the county on a de jure claim, so I haven't had any influence on who the baron is.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    So, is it better to have counties in your demense or just have direct control of barnoies/cities?
    Do you want troops or cash?

If you want troops, your best bet is to control all the baronies in one county. The troop multiplier from your Marshall can get you over 10k troops from one of the seven holdings counties (e.g. Paris, Seville, Cairo).

If you want cash, your best bet is to control individual counties (preferably on the coast for the harbor bonus) with as many mayor vassals as you can squeeze in. Venezia is perfect for this and is easy to conquer in any game, as long as you can muster around 5-7k troops.
    TeeMan wrote: »
    I've found that if a vassal already hates you but doesn't hate you quite enough, raising all his troops and marching them to the end of the earth works well, but it's a bit of a stretch to try and get a -100 or greater opinion penalty based on raised levies.

Thinking about it though... Can you order your Chancellor to chalk-up some bullshit claim and press it? Or does that only work for Counties?

Barons won't rebel and you can't fabricate claims on baronies. So unless he's the wrong religion, you pretty much have to take the tyrant hit

• Options
    gjaustin wrote: »

Barons won't rebel and you can't fabricate claims on baronies. So unless he's the wrong religion, you pretty much have to take the tyrant hit

Bugger. Well my current King is in his mid 70's now so I might just revoke it, toss it to my heir and wait for the sweet embrace of death

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Is there any way to destroy a holding to rebuild it as something else?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Nope

• Options
    Even if it were I'd just imagine that everyone would get very pissed off, from peasants to dukes, that you've just levelled a church to throw up a massive castle for yourself.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    pff, we'll dress it up, say I closed a hole to hell or something.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options

Bugger. Well my current King is in his mid 70's now so I might just revoke it, toss it to my heir and wait for the sweet embrace of death
    Now that he mentions it....You could get in with the pope and try to exocommunicate him

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

Now that he mentions it....You could get in with the pope and try to exocommunicate him

There's an idea! The pope (or the Orthodox equivalent) just died and I gave the new guy an obligatory 20 gold, so maybe there's some wiggle room there :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So in the game I'm playing I got Gavelkinded as after the Emperor gave me my first Duchy I kind of went nuts, forgetting I was 67 when he gave it to me. By the time she died 9 years later (SO CLOSE to elective) I had six. Oops.

Now I need to switch to seniority. On the plus side, the current heir to the empire is matrilineally married to my legitimized bastard sister. So if I can kill the Emperor before he has some kids...

Also, Aquitaine was just conquered by the Dhunnidids.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

I've noticed that age 70 is really a great time to imprison and execute everyone you desire to do so with. Regardless of if you do it to one or 20 people, consequences are unlikely!

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    gotta love long reign bonuses

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ohhhhhhhhhh that's... No, just no. Out of his whole court his first choice is her!?
    I hope you clicked the first option and will keep us abreast of any disgusting developments

While it could have been interesting, I chose to remain chaste due to a couple of reasons:

1) I mistakenly let my first heir (son) become the Mayor of the city in my couple at a ripe age of 4. I didn't know that meant I would lose all control of his education and marriage future. At the moment my king is pushing 70 and my heir is around 50 and STILL has no wife or children.

2) My second heir (son) was made a baron of a holding, thus removing him from the line of succession to the duchy (and now kingdom). Sadly he also died at age 30'ish, so it doesn't matter.

3) My third heir (daughter) was married to off to another Zoroastrian on the other side of the world. The thing is: I didn't think she would matter at all so I chose to let the children become of the fathers dynasty. Now, if my king keeps going on and my first heir dies, then she inherits and then I am in big trouble. I will have to spend time killing off all the children and the husband to insure that the kingdom doesn't fall into the hands of the children in the Sunni controlled Zoroastrian lands.

• Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    So, I'm playing the duke of Slavonia and i've established myself as independant. Is it possible to switch my duchy to promegeniture?

At the moment it says no because of the kingdom of croatia not having certain crown laws

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    boo doubles

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    Does the kingdom title of Croatia exist? even if you are independent I believe the de jure kingdom above you (Croatia) has to not exist at all for a duke to change succession laws

edit: pretty much confirmed, the dukes of ireland can change their succession because their de jure kingdom is not established

• Options
    Yes, well i got independance then the king of croatia declared war on my territory, i surrendered and failed my way to controlling croatia..

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    the game REALLY wants you to play a king because so many of the cool/fun things you get to do are cut off if you're somone's vassal

good luck on your usurpation though, I recommend waiting until the kingdom has dedicated troops to some distant war

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    My 'control Lancaster only' came went south. Oh boy did it go south.

Despite me winning three Crusades and snipping territory all over Europe to give to the Pope, Islam just kept pushing. The HRE controlled everything between south eastern France to all of Hungary, and it was weaker than the two main Islamic states. One controlled Africa, Sicily and Spain while the other had the ERE and the Middle East. The Christians were pretty much useless against them.

Since I was Jerusalem from that damn Crusade I won, they decided to Jihad me. Because Christians are terrible, I received no help, and now there's an Islamic state in the middle of Brittainica.

So, I got pissed. I created a new game.

My personal rules for this one:
    1. Must always play a female ruler.
    2. No fabricating claims allowed.
    3. If by 1453 there are still living Muslims in the world, I've failed.

I've never really played a conquest game before, but this is going well so far. Most of Britain is mine in 1200 or so (though I have nothing in Ireland) as well as northern France, and the east and west coasts of Hispania. I picked of Jerusalem and parts of Sicily as well. I I figure I'll have all of Hispania in another 50 years, and I've already started chewing at North Africa, trying to split up the eastern and western arms of Islam.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    I've run into a snag of a problem, one which I do not understand.

From watching this LP and others, I have understood that you should primarily only use troops from your own personal holdings/demesne as to avoid taking an opinion hit from your vassals. That's all well and good.

However I am experiencing opinion hits even when I use my own personal troops. All the whiners are mayors or barons of my demesnes. I thought they were supposed to shut up when I used my own troops?

In other news,
    my king managed to live to 74, but not before he became Incapable of ruling. My spymaster became my reagent who was 2 years older than my king. She managed to make herself a vassal of one of my holdings, but due to old age only kept it for a couple of years before my new heir inherited the title.

In relation to my heir problem, I had to eliminate the entire succession line of my third heir (the daughter). First I invited both to my court, assassinated her husband, threw her only child in prison and married her off to courtier in my lands. Sadly at the time she had already passed the age of childbearing, so no heirs were produced from that union.

However!

My fourth heir (who I managed to marriage matrilineal from the start) managed to produce son and somehow jumped the succession line, making her the immediate heir. So everything worked out in the end :lol:

England is a total mess. They decided to begin the English Civil War 500 years earlier than planned. Perfect time for my troops to take up new holdings :twisted:

• Options
    Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    How are you raising your troops? If you're raising each of your counties, that would definitely raise them. I'm not entirely clear on how the military screen works, but I think "personal levies" might include your direct petty lords as well, for some unknowable reason.

I wouldn't worry about the opinion hit unless it gets really out of hand. Free troops are generally worth your vassals thinking a bit less of you. If anything, depleting your personal levies leaves you vulnerable.

• Options
    the game REALLY wants you to play a king because so many of the cool/fun things you get to do are cut off if you're somone's vassal

good luck on your usurpation though, I recommend waiting until the kingdom has dedicated troops to some distant war

The fantastic thing was that, in Croatia, the main land owners are related dynastically so i played the duke, i rebelled, then got attacked by the king after gaining independance, losing and surrendering and the king put my current ruler the duke to death and my heir was the king, so i failed to a king who controls most of his own kingdom

IZF2byN.jpg

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    When is a Christian like a Muslim?
    When you're at Elective monarchy as a kingdom, and then create an empire and find that you're Gavelkind. Even though Medium Crown Authority is up, people can still rebel against their lords, which counts as vassals fighting each other as a condition that prevents a law change. So, at the moment, I think that I'm going to have to start murdering my less-successful children to ensure my realm holds together.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    So when you conquer a new county you plan to keep yourself and need to assign the cities and churches do people favor giving them to existing vassals or to make new ones? I've mostly been doing the latter, using the invite noble or holy man to court abilities and screening out anyone ambitious or with traits like inbred, syphilitic, imbecile, etc. that would make for a short lived family tree to prevent vassals from getting too much power but I'm wondering if this is the best way to do this.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    So when you conquer a new county you plan to keep yourself and need to assign the cities and churches do people favor giving them to existing vassals or to make new ones? I've mostly been doing the latter, using the invite noble or holy man to court abilities and screening out anyone ambitious or with traits like inbred, syphilitic, imbecile, etc. that would make for a short lived family tree to prevent vassals from getting too much power but I'm wondering if this is the best way to do this.

I used to do it that way too. Then I was informed of the "Create Vassal" button. Now I only use the invitation events if I need a Count of my culture.

Though I've heard people recommend giving them all to the same people, so that you don't have to keep as many people happy. I like having access to more people for my council though. And it also makes it easier to give away the county later, if necessary.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    I just create new vassals from the right click menu. I am pretty sure it makes them of your culture as well.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options

I used to do it that way too. Then I was informed of the "Create Vassal" button. Now I only use the invitation events if I need a Count of my culture.

Though I've heard people recommend giving them all to the same people, so that you don't have to keep as many people happy. I like having access to more people for my council though. And it also makes it easier to give away the county later, if necessary.
    I used to try to do eugenics to try to have a good Councillor of my culture, but I'm starting to think that it might just be better to bribe other countries Councillors away, you just have to find someone in the 20s who hates their ruler

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.