As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Resistance [BSG-esque PBP Game] [GAME OVER-SPIES WIN]

• Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Or Cerebus is a spy and wants to break the trust of our little team!

If you are going to accuse me of being a spy could you at least get my name right?

• Options
    KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    One would think Body's point would lead to the opposite conclusion

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    It was random finger pointing, with no evidence, hardly worth replying to seriously.

Though one of the issues with games such as this is that the more you post the more you look guilty, even when I'm not. People who are not saying anything remain (largely) accusation free.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    If there's only one spy, then quarantining all 4 of us seems like a victory for the spies. It'd go from 4/10 odds to 3/6.

Were we playing with plot cards?

• Options
    mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    If there's only one spy, then quarantining all 4 of us seems like a victory for the spies. It'd go from 4/10 odds to 3/6.

Would it be better to select members from outside our group (Body, Tayrun, Mi-go) then? I'm not sure if that is the best strategy as it adds a lot more unknown variables to the mix.

• Options
    mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    In any case, I'm going to vote 'yes'. Again, it seems like the best course to take.

• Options
    Maybe rotating out one or two? But if it fails again it'd be hard to find out if it was the new or old team members.

I dunno. Not seeing a reliable way to weed spies out.

• Options
    The only way to weed out a spy is we see a mission messed up, from there we can make guesses. Or they have a stupid nickname ;)
    Rotating out one seems like a good idea as if the mission goes wrong we have a fairly good idea who it was, not perfect I know as they could have not sabotaged an early one but this is the best we have.

• Options
    If we use the same team, and the mission fails, then we'll have to bench all four members of the unit to shelf only potentially a single spy. That would not put the odds in our favor.

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    So what do you suggest, use a brand new team?

• Options
    DaemonisDaemonis Registered User regular
    You are real heroes! But I think you need some rest.

• Options
    Repeat some of the members, quarantine others.

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    Then next mission, we can rotate back in the quarantined members of the unit.

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    I'm just not seeing a reliable way to weed them out within the allowed number of turns.

Here's my case: if I was the lone spy last mission, I would have sabotaged it. If I was a spy, I would not have invited multiple spies because I'd have no way of knowing if one wouldn't sabotage and blow over half our faction's cover the first turn. Way too risky of a move.

• Options
    And if the other members of the squad were spies and decided to not sabotage the mission to screw with us so that they could later discredit four members of the unit, what then? We're not going to be able to fully weed out all of the spies within the unit with the number of turns we have remaining, you've said so yourself. What we can do is give ourselves the best odds possible for continued success. If one of the proposed four happens to be a spy and sabotages, only one, then 4 members of our 10 man unit are descredited, leaving 6 people with 3 spies. I don't know a bookie in New Vegas who would take those odds on a Resistance victory in this conflict.

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    It might just be me, but it seems like the game gives very few turns for the Resistance to weed out the spies. Since every mission is carried out with a large group, it is very difficult to determine the sabotage and if one mission fails, all the mission members are suspected.

mi-go hunter on
  • Options
    It does seem to come down to lucky picks.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    I'm just not seeing a reliable way to weed them out within the allowed number of turns.

Here's my case: if I was the lone spy last mission, I would have sabotaged it. If I was a spy, I would not have invited multiple spies because I'd have no way of knowing if one wouldn't sabotage and blow over half our faction's cover the first turn. Way too risky of a move.

It sorta depends. It is tight. Especially with the mission that requires 2 players...big question is whether they have a leader lined up that . It would be Tayrun. If it is.

Flimflam could possibly want to use this team if they are clean and then ruin their rep. Another alt.

• Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Egos wrote: »

It sorta depends. It is tight. Especially with the mission that requires 2 players...big question is whether they have a leader lined up that . It would be Tayrun. If it is.

Flimflam could possibly want to use this team if they are clean and then ruin their rep. Another alt.

. is not a verb. What did this whole post mean?

Also put me on the team fo' sho.

• Options
    Something got chopped out of my post, mr. would be spy.

The post meant that it depends on what opportunities the spies choose to pursue. If they try to gain trust early on and have a leader lined up for the later missions , they might be more careful even if they were on an early mission.

• Options
    Thinking through the concept of a spy leader, eh?

That's the kind of thing a spy would do.

• Options
    Tayrun wrote: »
    Thinking through the concept of a spy leader, eh?

That's the kind of thing a spy would do.

That's the kind of thing someone who thinks would do .

• Options
    Stop posting your confusing posts, spy.

• Options

False patriot.

• Options
    edited September 2012

False patriot.

Or you could both be spies and scripted the argument to look as if you're not on the same side...

mi-go hunter on
  • Options
    For it to be scripted wouldn't it require proboards or a behind the scene agreemens? Or are you using the term loosely and you mean ad-libbing ?

• Options
  • Options
    That was a pretty defensive response there, Spygos.

Feeling threatened after being exposed as a spy, are you?

• Options

The name is Shadow, Spyrun.

She was imply we were working together also, you nincompoop. Like I would work with someone of your caliber.

• Options
    FlimflammeryFlimflammery There's always money in the banana stand... Oxford, UKRegistered User regular
    I suppose that the deadline really has passed now; a shame, as Kilnag- sorry, Corey's reasoning is pretty persuasive. Probably should have started over with a completely new band. Hmm. Being a squad leader is hard...

• Options

The name is Shadow, Spyrun.

She was imply we were working together also, you nincompoop. Like I would work with someone of your caliber.

Hmm? Who was? I've been too distracted by your obvious spy gibbering to pay much attention to the others.

Need I call your attention to the fact that I've been on a mission which passed and hence I'm obviously not a spy, Spygos, duuuuuhhhhhh.

• Options
    Need I call your attention to the fact that I've been on a mission which passed and hence I'm obviously not a spy, Spygos, duuuuuhhhhhh.

Rookie, are you familiar with how spies gain the trust of the Resistance? A common spy tactic is to gain our trust and when assigned to a crucial future mission, sabotage it.

• Options

Rookie, are you familiar with how spies gain the trust of the Resistance? A common spy tactic is to gain our trust and when assigned to a crucial future mission, sabotage it.

Nah no spy would ever pass a mission like that, that's crazy, that's just handing points to the opponents!

Clearly you're trying to confuse us loyal Resistance member, Spymi-go!

• Options
    So what's going on? New leader? New team?

• Options
    No idea...

• Options
    I vote that I should be leader!

Who's with me? :D

• Options
    FlimflammeryFlimflammery There's always money in the banana stand... Oxford, UKRegistered User regular
    So what's going on? New leader? New team?
    As far as I'm concerned, I didn't miss the deadline, although I've had second thoughts since then about my choice. But @Capfalcon hasn't turned up again to sort out the mission voting, so if people are happy with me changing the squad members I can do so...

If so, my choices would change to:

Myself, Cerberus, blahmcblah, and Daemonis.

If that's not viable due to the deadline, no worries!

(I hope that fellow loyal resistance members will note that I am simply following our names round the current order in which we were listed, missing out any who a have already gone on a mission - any seemingly random selection would seem to me to be a more suspicious method of choosing)

• Options
    If that is the new selection, I vote "no".

There are 4 spies. The first mission, assuming that there is no spies, consisted of 3 members. And now, you're proposing to bring 4 different members. At this point, it is basically guaranteed that there is a spy among the 4. And that spy, I don't think will miss the oppurtunity to sabotage.

I like the previous plan better.

• Options
    yeah...Daemonis?

• Options
    DaemonisDaemonis Registered User regular
    Daemonis?
    What? :)