As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Concerning Hobbies

Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punkhedge witchRegistered User regular
edited September 2012 in Social Entropy++
So everyone on SE ++ theoretically has things they do in real life for fun. I want to hear about these pastimes and hobbies. I'd also think it'd be cool to know what gear people use and which styles people do within these hobbies.

My big thing is skateboarding, and because of how hilly my town is the natural best thing to do is downhill/freeride longboarding, which is basically busting the speed limit on a plank of wood and then drifting out the corners. The freeride bit basically means that, much like in snowboarding, a lot of slides and drifts are used simply for fun.

These are my boards:
tumblr_m9rabrbpDl1rs73s9o1_500.jpg

From left to right (the first bit is deck/trucks, wheels):
Clutch Lambchop on Hybrid Ace 66s, with Sector 9 Raceforms 78a - this one is my favorite board ever. Fast, comfy, stable, and fun. The graphic on the bottom is a surfboard-style fabric/resin job.
Jet Vulcan (Chopped w/ sicktail) on Paris Adam Coltons, with Metro Motions 80a - I got this deck for $20 and a pack of Marlboro Reds. This thing is janky as hell and I love it. The sicktail is literally just a trimmed skateboard tail bolted under the deck. Needs immaculate balance to master at speed because the shift of weight onto the front truck from the sicktail means she's twitchier.
Okinawan GBC Cruiser on Indy 169s, no wheels at the moment - this board has the biggest kicktail of any skateboard I have ever seen. Only a few exist because they're handmade by an Okinawan surf geezer. Rode this one almost daily in Japan. Silly anime doodles and graffiti because fuck da police.
Longboardlarry Komodo on Holeys, with ABEC 11 Flashbacks 78a (wheels not pictured) - big fun "dancer"-style cruiser. I don't ride this board too much but she's too pretty to sell. Mad fun on flatter ground, but not too great on hills for a few reasons.

Mortal Sky on

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I play video games

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Doesn't everyone here do that?

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I like to switch hands once in awhile. Sometimes using the left changes up the sensation in new and mysterious ways. Sometimes, I'll put a little crisco in my palm. Not only does it help keep things smooth, if I make enough friction I can generate a little bit of a baking butter smell and that's always lovely.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    man. This could have been "Concerning Hobbies".

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    just
    warm tingles, all over.

Also I'm trying to start a new hobby; building micro robots. I put a couple of prototypes together in January but then haven't had any time for the past six months ... also someone else moved into my office so soldering suddenly seemed like an obnoxious thing to do.

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Peccavi wrote: »
    I play video games

agreed + same. furthermore

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    doppelpost

Beasteh on
    Also starting up learning how to use a synthesizer and sequencer pretty soon. Got a Korg EMX-1.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    hello OP

i bought a longboard the other year but it was around the time that i f'd up my knee snowboarding

and then i got distracted so i've never really learnt how to ride it and it kind of scares me

so it's just been sitting there

hmmmmmm i should learn

poo
    Yeah I did the same thing in a way.
    Got the LBL Komodo, threw it down a hill with no idea how to handle speed, crashed it nastily, and didn't skate for seven months after that

I got better.

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I.. breed shrimp. And keep fish. And an axolotl.

Well I did, then I moved. I'm gonna be getting another tank though, maybe a little fluval spec for a betta. Start over small. Go for planted.

I also moved away from my Skull collection, though I plan to get those sent over, but I imagine it'll be a bit harder to find roadkill and boil it here.

Kochikens on
    edited September 2012
    Used to keep fancy Goldfish, and I wanna get back into it but I just don't really have the time. They're so needy!! I wanted to breed them but could never get them to.

edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyDo_NC8Pzc

Aww now I super miss them..

Kochikens on
    I'm actually really curious about the shrimp breeding bit. I love aquaria. Also want an axolotl pretty badly but I have had bad luck with keeping amphibians in the past.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    it scares me because on a snowboard i know i can usually stop anywhere except really steep places

skateboards do not provide the same luxury

poo
    edited September 2012
    it scares me because on a snowboard i know i can usually stop anywhere except really steep places

skateboards do not provide the same luxury

Learn to pendy heelside or coleman - they're roughly the same slide in principle. It is the quickest and easiest brake you can do. Standing slides are faster to initiate. much scarier to start learning.

Mortal Sky on
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I'm actually really curious about the shrimp breeding bit. I love aquaria. Also want an axolotl pretty badly but I have had bad luck with keeping amphibians in the past.

well
    your first problem is that axolotls aren't amphibians.

edited September 2012
    Well, by that logic my African dwarf frogs weren't either

Edit: but yes now I want to know about shrimp breeding. What species did you keep?

Mortal Sky on
    Crystal Red Shrimp. I actually still have them, well, they're at my parents. My dads taking care of them.

I have a bunch of pics that I can post up later. They're in a very lovely planted 7.9gallon fluval ebi. Never got to the point where I could start culling them out to try and get higher grades.

• FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    some types of shrimp can be mad cute

my hobbies are smoking pot, playing videogames, and being undeservedly pretentious about things

reposig.jpg
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    i play video games

i am super boring

broken image link
    Now that I actually am old enough to handle my own aquarium (I was 11 when I had the dwarf frogs) I do kind of want to try it again. I'd want something cool but hardy. Oscar cichlids perhaps?

tumblr_lzm16jF3q41ro0nnoo2_250.gif

tumblr_lzm16jF3q41ro0nnoo3_250.gif

tumblr_lzm16jF3q41ro0nnoo4_250.gif

• lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    I have the boringest hobbies. I collect comics, books, movies, zippo lighters, and scented candles. I go biking, and I knit. I also collect naps

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    I don't do it much anymore, but I used to paint Warhammer figures all the time, I haven't done it lately out of a combination of Not Caring, losing the usb cord for my camera, and how expensive these dudes are.

I'll put a couple of the ones I'm actually proud of under spoilers.
    DSC01827.jpg

DSC01687.jpg

DSC01647.jpg

DSC01686.jpg

edited September 2012
    Now that I actually am old enough to handle my own aquarium (I was 11 when I had the dwarf frogs) I do kind of want to try it again. I'd want something cool but hardy. Oscar cichlids perhaps?

Nooo. Start with something small that you can handle. Oscars are not first time fish people, they're experienced aquarist fish. Because they get fucking massive, are violent, and can live up to 15 years.

I have actually talked a lot of new fish people through their first aquariums and can give you some advice and help you set up, if you're serious about getting into fishkeeping??

edit: oh god i just noticed you said cichlids as in plural, that's like, a 125gallon tank with some serious filtration oh lordy loo

Kochikens on
    Man, shrimps are cool.

I have pretty much always wanted an Australian blue lobster too. Those are cool looking.

does jerkin' it count as a hobby?

broken image link
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    I collect spores, molds, and fungus.

easysig2.jpg
    you should shower every once in a while, y'know

broken image link
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    Huntera wrote: »
    I don't do it much anymore, but I used to paint Warhammer figures all the time, I haven't done it lately out of a combination of Not Caring, losing the usb cord for my camera, and how expensive these dudes are.

DSC01827.jpg

DSC01687.jpg

DSC01647.jpg

DSC01686.jpg

man that ironclad dreadnaught and librarian are both quality, i'm seriously impressed

have you ever painted up any non-SM armies? you've got a good color scheme there and i bet you've got the capacity to do up another race juuust right

i've got an imperial guard army, a SM army with parts of it converted so i can use them as WH (with the combined imperium stuff so you can use guard + 'marines' using the SOB ruleset) and a nice ork army. used to have an eldar one too but i sold it to my best bud so he could play

warhammer rocks

good painting high five

reposig.jpg
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    I collect spores, molds, and fungus.

Look dude, we all know your house is nasty but you don't have to call it a hobby

JtgVX0H.png
    Kochikens wrote: »

Nooo. Start with something small that you can handle. Oscars are not first time fish people, they're experienced aquarist fish. Because they get fucking massive, are violent, and can live up to 15 years.

I have actually talked a lot of new fish people through their first aquariums and can give you some advice and help you set up, if you're serious about getting into fishkeeping??

I have had a good four or five years with tropical fish and convict cichlids, plus six years with leopard geckos, but I just haven't done aquaria in a couple years after we moved. We kept the geckos until my cat knocked the tank over and then murdered the geckos while we were out one day about two years ago. The dwarf frogs were my personal ones (once the tank got going - we had bad luck with the ph levels at first and it killed off the first frogs - it went fine for a good while after that even though the frogs ate all the cleaner fish I gave the tank) while the tropical fish were a family project.

The fish project would be a year or so out. Buying the synthesizer took up my hobby budget for the year.

• HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Fandyien wrote: »
    Huntera wrote: »

DSC01827.jpg

DSC01687.jpg

DSC01647.jpg

DSC01686.jpg

man that ironclad dreadnaught and librarian are both quality, i'm seriously impressed

have you ever painted up any non-SM armies? you've got a good color scheme there and i bet you've got the capacity to do up another race juuust right

i've got an imperial guard army, a SM army with parts of it converted so i can use them as WH (with the combined imperium stuff so you can use guard + 'marines' using the SOB ruleset) and a nice ork army. used to have an eldar one too but i sold it to my best bud so he could play

warhammer rocks

good painting high five

Thanks! I've been considering starting a new army.

Daemons and Tyranids are first in my mind for a new one, but I'm holding out for the Tau getting a new codex soon so I can paint Anime Mechs

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    My house is actually really dusty from the damn dogs. If I gave a fuck I'd have to dust and sweep everyday.

I do not.

easysig2.jpg
    edited September 2012
    @Kochikens: basically, tl;dr my dad did the heavy lifting on the tank setups in the past but I do have experience with fishkeeping. But I guess I wouldn't say I'm an aquarist?

What recommendations do you have for mid-level, kinda cool but hardy fish? Or amphibians - I really enjoyed the dwarf frogs, so another frog aquarium of some kind might be fun? Shrimp are intriguing too.

Mortal Sky on
    Kochikens wrote: »

I have had a good four or five years with tropical fish and convict cichlids, plus six years with leopard geckos, but I just haven't done aquaria in a couple years after we moved. We kept the geckos until my cat knocked the tank over and then murdered the geckos while we were out one day about two years ago. The dwarf frogs were my personal ones (once the tank got going - we had bad luck with the ph levels at first and it killed off the first frogs - it went fine for a good while after that even though the frogs ate all the cleaner fish I gave the tank) while the tropical fish were a family project.

The fish project would be a year or so out. Buying the synthesizer took up my hobby budget for the year.

Going from tropical fish and stuff like convicts to BIG FISH like Oscars is a big jump. I know it doesn't seem like it, but it's like.. they're fucking small dogs, honestly. Small ANGRY dogs. And yeah for 2 you're gonna need 125gallons minimum, then some massive fucking filtration, a fluval 405 or more, probably a sump as well. I know guys who keep Monster Fish. Switching from a hobbyist 20-40 gall tropical mixed tank where even if you fuck it up it's like meehhh a few fish died cause the PH got a bit woggly to keeping beasts is insane. I was never into it. It's serious fucking business and there's a reason the main dudes who keep them are like, mid 40's married dudes who have massive tanks in their basements. basements because once you get that much water your floor starts to go FUCK THIS NOISE.

Anyways it's a lot of money and time. Fucking changing the water in any tank above 50 gallons is SUCH a bear. Eventually you get used to it, but I've had a 75gall for my goldies and jesus christ. Even with a python for cleaning it out the thing was a bitch.

http://www.oscarfishlover.com/

sorry if I seem a bit antsy, there was just a huge problem in my fish community back in vancouver with people doing stuff like getting oscars and fucking pacus without realizing what they were getting into then trying to rehome them/sell them to us. The worst is craigslist ads where they're trying to get rid of them and the fucking tank is tiny and cloudy because they're terrible and waaaugh I just get upset about fishStuff.

And if it's always been your parents doing it, then you need to start small. Get a little 10 gallon. Keep everything alive, monitor your water, your temperatures, take a tank through a cycle, learn about bacteria. Learn what you're doing. There's a lot more than most people realize.

• ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    I was at a pet store earlier this summer and they had a pike, about eight or ten inches, just chilling in a tank and a few days later, it was gone

good luck, whoever

thenews.jpg
    I might need to go browse over the old PA forums aquarium thread now.