As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I think the girl in front of me is a furry

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    archie has been really really really good lately

did that gender-reversed Archie drawn by the menage a 3 artist ever get released

how was that
    fOIdW.jpg

It was way too short. I wanted a more Kyonkoverse approach to the idea.

SabreMau on
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    mostly I just don't worry about it cause it's all the same from my perspective

it only becomes a little different when it comes to transferring into a robot because that's a specific process and not just philosophical speculation

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Fuck all of you Akira is awesome.

I agree, but it's worth noting the manga is a bit better. The whole "what happens now" thing, once it gets past the parts adapted for the movie, is pretty good.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • SkylarkSkylark o7 Vile Rat o7 o7 Photon Torpedo o7Registered User regular
    Skylark wrote: »
    didn't the Flatline wind up kinda getting what he wanted anyway?
    Yea, from what I recall he asked Case to erase the ROM when they were done with it.
    well i haven't read that book in forever but my understanding of the resolution is that Neuromancer uploaded Dixie's consciousness into the matrix so that he could hang out with the merged AI and the copied Linda Lee

Actually, I think you're right. I lent my copy of the book to my mom, so I can't check right now, but I think I recall Case seeing the three of them together in the matrix.

The Aleph in Mona Lisa Overdrive kind of plays on this concept too.

• BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    Vic wrote: »
    -Tal wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    i hope by the time i die uploading your mind into a robot body is a thing that happens.

I probably wouldn't do it because robots, but it'd be a neat thing to see.

my baseless future prediction is that you will be able to copy your mind, but you can't just transfer your brain

Well, you'd be the only person that would know the difference, and you'd be dead. Or would you?

and this is what sometimes keeps me up at night.

I don't see any way it could be done with a single continuous consciousness

you'd die and that's that, and the robot wakes up with a copy of your mind

no difference from other peoples' perspective, just that you're not going to be around to see it

Neuromancer sort of did this with Dixie Flatline's personality ROM, and it's a damn scary thought.

This kind of stuff is what scares me the most, but it is also something that I have recognised to be beyond what I can truly fully understand, and might even be biologically unable to ever do.

A continuous consciousness is pretty much just an illusion that the mind makes for itself. It has become my belief that in a very real way everyone dies every time they go to sleep. There is a gap in continuity during which the brain processes and cleans up stuff, and when you wake up you are literally a different person, if only slightly. Almost as scary is the fact that the part of the rewriting process you are actually somewhat conscious of, dreams, are almost always scoured from the mind within minutes.

I try to console myself with the thought that my inevitable death and utter oblivion is not as big of a deal as I think it is since the process of change is so constant that almost nothing of the person I am today will remain at that point. It is usually not very effective.

Still totes want to have a robot body/sexy clone body/be uploaded into a computer one day. The last one seems to be the best shot of something akin to true trancendence/immortality, since the process could be completely continuous. Just plug the brain into a computer,and gradually transfer more and more functions into the hardware until the brain simply becomes obsolete and then discard it.

They say that time is discrete, not continuous, with each time step being 1 Planck time unit.

If so, there is a gap in continuity 1.8e43 times per second. Every time, your consciousness dies and is replaced with a new one that has just a tiny bit more memory than the previous one.

They say all foxes a slightly allergic to linoleum
    But it feels cool against the paws

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    BusterK wrote: »
    They say that time is discrete, not continuous, with each time step being 1 Planck time unit.

If so, there is a gap in continuity 1.8e43 times per second. Every time, your consciousness dies and is replaced with a new one that has just a tiny bit more memory than the previous one.

They say all foxes a slightly allergic to linoleum
    But it feels cool against the paws

And they say http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ5LpwO-An4

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    didn't the Flatline wind up kinda getting what he wanted anyway?
    Yea, from what I recall he asked Case to erase the ROM when they were done with it.
    well i haven't read that book in forever but my understanding of the resolution is that Neuromancer uploaded Dixie's consciousness into the matrix so that he could hang out with the merged AI and the copied Linda Lee

Actually, I think you're right. I lent my copy of the book to my mom, so I can't check right now, but I think I recall Case seeing the three of them together in the matrix.

The Aleph in Mona Lisa Overdrive kind of plays on this concept too.

yeah, that's what i remember too

i remember when i first read those books i skipped over Count Zero entirely cause my copy of Neuromancer was my dad's first edition, so it obviously didn't mention a sequel

as a result about half of Mona Lisa Overdrive made fuck-all sense to me

interrobang on
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    I don't think immortality is a particularly desirable goal, certainly not on a large scale

Maybe not corporeal immortality, the earth would fill up pretty quickly. If I want to live forever inside a computer though, why not let me? Electricity is not that expensive.

I don't think immortality is a particularly desirable goal, certainly not on a large scale

Maybe not corporeal immortality, the earth would fill up pretty quickly. If I want to live forever inside a computer though, why not let me? Electricity is not that expensive.

the need for people to die extends beyond practical reasons

we need older generations to die off and new generations to bring fresh ideas to make any progress as a civilization

PNk1Ml4.png
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    if they're immortal machines they can live on mars. problem solved.

we need older generations to die off and new generations to bring fresh ideas to make any progress as a civilization

Fuck the new generation. Alternatively, they can play around on earth while I have awesome adventures as a digital ghost.

Fuck the new generation. Alternatively, they can play around on earth while I have awesome adventures as a digital ghost.

yeah the problem is it's not just you

PNk1Ml4.png
    True enough. It is a huge and shitty problem that it looks like we might have to deal with within this century.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »
    you don't want to ban hentai in public libraries

you want to enable it so that we can find those people who are so desperate for hentai that they'll watch it in public and eliminate them

A decade ago I remember seeing a volume of a tentacle hentai manga at Borders, without a plastic wrap, just available for all to look at. I took it to the manager and said something like "Um, you do know what's on your bookshelves right?". She freaked right the fuck out when she started flipping through pages.

I saw something like that once, also at Borders.

Some kinda ghost in the shell hentai thing.

Wasn't a volume, though, it was some regular-sized comic print on the shelves right up front, by the cafe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

you want to enable it so that we can find those people who are so desperate for hentai that they'll watch it in public and eliminate them

A decade ago I remember seeing a volume of a tentacle hentai manga at Borders, without a plastic wrap, just available for all to look at. I took it to the manager and said something like "Um, you do know what's on your bookshelves right?". She freaked right the fuck out when she started flipping through pages.

Wasn't a volume, though, it was some regular-sized comic print on the shelves right up front, by the cafe.
    That might've just been regular Ghost in the Shell.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Goatmon wrote: »

That might've just been regular Ghost in the Shell.

Yeah, dude really likes to draw super kinky stuff.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    must be the reason why he's king of his castle

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Must be the reason why I'm making examples of you...

Solar on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    anime is universally stupid

really, all animation. Except Lion King.

and maybe some Pixar shit, but they push it sometimes.

But Lion King was awesome.
    stale

watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anu2IrsUlVs

tell me what you think

@autono-wally, erotibot300

It's like Inception fucked Tinkerbell and then they all played Katamari.

That looks insufferable. Also, why would a japanese girl be named after a Hungarian pepper?
    It was made about 6 years before inception, based on the same short story inception is based on. It takes the concept in a pretty different direction, more philosophical. Inception honestly felt like sort of a rip off if you watched paprika before, even though it still was good.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I wish I could watch MST3K hat work

I have over two hours left here and very little to do
    I recommend this interactive MSTing of a shoddy text game

wandering on
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Also grave of the fireflies, if you haven't seen it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxv9ghINEhs

A complete punch in the gut of all your feelings

Re: Ghost in the Shell: I actually didn't like the movies too much, but the series is pretty fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY6PNTzQb1A

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    The series is also a lot of wordswordswordstechnobabblemorewords at times.

I liked it, but I can see reasons why others might not.

jnij103vqi2i.png
    The series is also a lot of wordswordswordstechnobabblemorewords at times.

I liked it, but I can see reasons why others might not.
    Not just technobabble, but also psychobabble. It's interesting. Certainly not flawless, but I like the exploration if the ideas behind it.

Although Real Drive, the prequel, has a little bit too much weird old man taste for me..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    see, the problem is that it's animated

I don't like cartoons, it instantly makes everything seem childish and silly

So when I see a cartoon try to make everything dramatic and suspenseful and adult, it just comes off as ham-fisted and clumsy, not to mention eastern-cartoon style story telling and pacing and dialog, which is fucking awful.

Not that western cartoons are any better, they suck too. except Lion King.

Lion King is alright.

also, I hated inception. Somebody else mentioned paprika was out first, which explains why inception was so fucking terrible.

easysig2.jpg
  • jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    this is why i have hypnophobia

Its good to know that there are other people who exist who have this.

Because I only know 1 other person in real life who agrees with me.

It is scary as fuck.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I love anime but I'm never surprised when people don't like it, and let's face it tons of it is just awful.

The whole continuity thing with uploading your mind into a computer and/or teleportation (because those are the two hypothetical situations where it always comes up) is always an incredibly fascinating thing for me to think about, and yet I am infinitely grateful that there's no way we'll actually have to deal with that in my lifetime because shit is terrifying to me somehow. Closing your eyes and not knowing for sure if what opens them will be you or just a thing that thinks it's you.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    i hope by the time i die uploading your mind into a robot body is a thing that happens.

I probably wouldn't do it because robots, but it'd be a neat thing to see.

my baseless future prediction is that you will be able to copy your mind, but you can't just transfer your brain

Well, you'd be the only person that would know the difference, and you'd be dead. Or would you?

and this is what sometimes keeps me up at night.

I don't see any way it could be done with a single continuous consciousness

you'd die and that's that, and the robot wakes up with a copy of your mind

no difference from other peoples' perspective, just that you're not going to be around to see it

Neuromancer sort of did this with Dixie Flatline's personality ROM, and it's a damn scary thought.

This kind of stuff is what scares me the most, but it is also something that I have recognised to be beyond what I can truly fully understand, and might even be biologically unable to ever do.

A continuous consciousness is pretty much just an illusion that the mind makes for itself. It has become my belief that in a very real way everyone dies every time they go to sleep. There is a gap in continuity during which the brain processes and cleans up stuff, and when you wake up you are literally a different person, if only slightly. Almost as scary is the fact that the part of the rewriting process you are actually somewhat conscious of, dreams, are almost always scoured from the mind within minutes.

I try to console myself with the thought that my inevitable death and utter oblivion is not as big of a deal as I think it is since the process of change is so constant that almost nothing of the person I am today will remain at that point. It is usually not very effective.

Still totes want to have a robot body/sexy clone body/be uploaded into a computer one day. The last one seems to be the best shot of something akin to true trancendence/immortality, since the process could be completely continuous. Just plug the brain into a computer,and gradually transfer more and more functions into the hardware until the brain simply becomes obsolete and then discard it.

my current consciousness wants to say that it hates you for making me know about this

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    would you rather be interesting or live forever in mediocrity

Live forever in mediocrity. Easy answer for me.

• FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    woke up this morning and saw 400 new posts in my thread

then i remembered "oh wait someone mentioned anime last night"

reposig.jpg
    see, the problem is that it's animated

I don't like cartoons, it instantly makes everything seem childish and silly

So when I see a cartoon try to make everything dramatic and suspenseful and adult, it just comes off as ham-fisted and clumsy, not to mention eastern-cartoon style story telling and pacing and dialog, which is fucking awful.

Not that western cartoons are any better, they suck too. except Lion King.

Lion King is alright.

also, I hated inception. Somebody else mentioned paprika was out first, which explains why inception was so fucking terrible.

I honestly don't understand this position, but hey, I got my own irrational hangups too.

no real point in trying to change as deep seated an opinion as that. A person'd have a better chance of turning a brick wall into a window using nothing but their own noggin. I'm well beyond the zealotry phase, anyway.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I have no problem if you just can't shake your preconceived notions of what an animated movie or show should be. Just so long as you know that millions of other people don't share that same issue.

Ghost in the Shell will never be Citizen Kane but it's at least as good, if not better than something equivalent in live-action like Blade Runner. The plots are equally ridiculous and melodramatic at times.

Then you have stuff like Jin Roh where it gets so realistic and heavily rotoscoped that it might-as-well be live-action. It's as good as any heavy-handed Japanese movie set in a totalitarian regime.

Chances are also good with most anime that if the plot seems like it makes no sense then you missed a few things or just weren't in the right frame of mind to process it or lacked the cultural knowledge to pick up on the more subtle stuff. That doesn't make you "wrong" or anything, you just don't like the medium. It's not very different from people who like classical art but hate modern art or like music but don't enjoy rap or country.

It's popular anyway and not just with pimply-faced virgins and neckbearded weeaboos. There's some legitimately good stuff there for fans of animated storytelling. There's also a fuck-ton of garbage out there just like with TV, comic books and movies.

TankHammer on
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    No, clearly I'm the arbiter of good taste.

My word is law.

easysig2.jpg
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Chances are also good with most anime that if the plot seems like it makes no sense then you missed a few things or just weren't in the right frame of mind to process it or lacked the cultural knowledge to pick up on the more subtle stuff. That doesn't make you "wrong" or anything, you just don't like the medium. It's not very different from people who like classical art but hate modern art or like music but don't enjoy rap or country.

There's also the ones where the plot makes no fucking sense. They're not likely to be recommended here though.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
    edited September 2012
    JayKaos wrote: »
    TankHammer wrote: »

There's also the ones where the plot makes no fucking sense. They're not likely to be recommended here though.

Did you miss all the pages of people talking about FLCL?

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Fandyien wrote: »
    woke up this morning and saw 400 new posts in my thread

then i remembered "oh wait someone mentioned anime last night"
    so fandy

was she a furry?

EzUAYcn.png
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    i'm back in the same class again and i don't see any cat ears so

maybe

reposig.jpg
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    for people who dont like cartoons because theyre childish and silly

is this only for 2d cartoons? Or is it 3d ones? What separates a 3d cartoon and a 3d film, and a 3d game for you?

edit: Genuine question, I have always been really curious because I can't see any difference myself

Kochikens on
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    cartoons are for imbeciles

such a faux pas

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    cartoons are rad and as long as you have the proper perspective on things there's nothing wrong with enjoying something a little childish

problems only arise when some people (like a lot of anime nerds or a large swathe of bronies) lose that perspective

This discussion has been closed.