As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Election 2012: DNC Week

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    These stories about Bain are pretty damning for Romney. Especially with the profits they talk about.

I was going to say... it feels like Bain is just an evil, evil company in these narratives.

That is the point. Romney is running on his Bain record. The attack ads against Bain have already proven effective. This is just a more personal version of those and will make most middle class and blue collar workers flinch.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Crayon wrote: »
    Pretty sure Al Franken is drunk hah

I think I missed him. My attention span is staring to fray.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    These stories about Bain are pretty damning for Romney. Especially with the profits they talk about.

I was going to say... it feels like Bain is just an evil, evil company in these narratives.

That is the point. Romney is running on his Bain record. The attack ads against Bain have already proven effective. This is just a more personal version of those and will make most middle class and blue collar workers flinch.

The guy who is up there right now is also pretty directly calling out the record too. Kinda vicious.

I shouldn't be enjoying this as much as I am. I feel bad to claim myself as an independent.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    I've been flipping between FOX and CNN for the DNC coverage so far, CNN for my bleh reporting and FOX for my olol reporting.

FOX had some female writer on who used the term "abortionpalooza" when talking about Sandra Fluke and women's health issues.

I couldn't stop laughing.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Another fun thing to bring up with evangelicals is that historical figures like Abraham Lincoln and Blackbeard predate the concept the concept of "the rapture."

"Hey guys, who is the older literary figure: A reborn Jesus Christ sent to bring home the souls of the righteous, or Frankenstein's Monster?"

You missed drunken Senator Franken. I love that man.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote: »
    Crayon wrote: »
    Pretty sure Al Franken is drunk hah

I think I missed him. My attention span is staring to fray.

He was on MSNBC, he doesn't normally do national media, and isn't speaking at the convention I don't think.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    So Sandra Fluke is going on network TV?
    ed
    Changing to CBS to see how old people will see this. Also easier to flip to NBC

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Xobyte wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    At least the RNC had no issue with their platform or anything, so this is entirely a DNC thing that we should all be ashamed of.

Poe's law here, I can't tell if this is sarcasm/irony or not. The whole Ron Paul thing and change in delegates was kind of a thing. This was a paraphrased quote from a Republican delegate at the RNC, when Romney changed the rules.

"They are infringing on our rights."

Anyhow, on the the "God" thing. On a personal level, I don't mind God, because I like the lessons that Jesus teaches, I think they are great teachings. But I am a big HUGE fucking fan of separation of church and state. Also, there are more than Christians that are on the Democrats side. Hindus, Jews, Muslims, Native-Americans, Buddists, ect that find a place in the big tent on the DNC. So I kinda feel like they were just disenfranchised.

On the other hand, Christians are a rather large demographic, so strategically, I'm not sure what is the better move.

Still a tad disappointed.

I've got to say, as a Buddhist, I don't really give a shit.

All good my friend.

I liked seeing the nun. It's nice to finally see a person who identifies as Christian actually stating some of the things that Christians should believe and practice. Things Jesus himself said, like helping the poor and the weak, and taking care of your neighbor.

I kinda find that the Democrats are the God of the New Testament (forgiveness, feed the poor, cure the sick, self sacrafice) and the Republicans are the God of the Old Testament (fire and brimstone, plagues, Sodom and Gomorrah, wrath to punish sin).

Not sure how accurate that is, given that it's the former who sends people to the pain dimension for all of time and told his followers to break off all contact with the nonbelievers in their families while the followers of the latter (Jews) are much more live and let live. It's also safe to say that the god of the Torah was dealing with a lot more bullshit, even from his own followers (King David was an asshole).

Doesn't the God of both Testaments send people to hell for all eternity?

Anyhow, the metaphor wasn't about God, it was about moral teachings. It was just an underhanded jab on my part about how much the GOP enspouses themselves as Christians, yet ignore a lot Jesus's better teachings.

No hell in the Torah. Christians might have retconned it in though. Never read their version.

The subject of the afterlife appears to have never come up until roughly 20 BCE, and hasn't really come up since. That's why the Christian afterlife is so much like the Roman one and Christianity is so much like the "get into Elysium free" cults of the time.

Yeah, we just went with Madonna and made heaven a place on Earth.

Man, that was Belinda Carlisle, you ignorant goose.

Damn you to hell wherever.

Another fun thing to bring up with evangelicals is that historical figures like Abraham Lincoln and Blackbeard predate the concept the concept of "the rapture."

"Hey guys, who is the older literary figure: A reborn Jesus Christ sent to bring home the souls of the righteous, or Frankenstein's Monster?"
    I feel like this is a joke about Lincoln's looks.

• Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    This clown on CNN is arguing that Mitt Romney was trying to make a case for managed bankruptcy of the auto industry in his 2008 NY Times op-ed.

He is literally pretending that nobody in the world (including I believe the NY Times) understood that, addressed Mitt Romney's argument on its merits, and concluded that he was way wrong.

Of course, it also ignores the fact that Romney, in true Romney style, changed tactics and later took credit for the bailout.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    This clown on CNN is arguing that Mitt Romney was trying to make a case for managed bankruptcy of the auto industry in his 2008 NY Times op-ed.

He is literally pretending that nobody in the world (including I believe the NY Times) understood that, addressed Mitt Romney's argument on its merits, and concluded that he was way wrong.

Of course, it also ignores the fact that Romney, in true Romney style, changed tactics and later took credit for the bailout.

Lots of people are convinced of this though.

Because people have short as fuck memories and want to believe both sides are at fault so they won't listen.

Lh96QHG.png
    edited September 2012
    Fluke is going on the attack.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    Sandra is hammering Romney, I like that she started out with him being silent about Limbaugh. She started out rough, but I think she's picking up her rhythum.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i'm not getting any of the sideshow.

i'm just getting the livestream off msnbc.com

and i'm highly enjoying what i'm hearing overall.

I feel like the DNC missed a big opportunity when it failed to get Rabbi Rachel Isaacs on that stage. She's even give bipartisan cred by being a Conservative (Jew). She could question why she wasn't invited to that hearing.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »
    So Sandra Fluke is going on netwbork TV?
    ed
    Changing to CBS to see how old people will see this. Also easier to flip to NBC
    The networks aren't even showing her =/

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    Fluke is killing.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    That was a fantastic line about how Obama thought of his daughters and not his donors or his delegates.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited September 2012

I will now be like you, even though I have about 8 channels of this available, they are all awful.

I just want the actual speeches, I don't need it "contextualized" by the punditry geese on the networks.

Form of Monkey! on
    "For a President who either has our back, or turns his back." OH SNAP!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Cspan is pretty great.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• monikermoniker Registered User regular

I will now be like you, even though I have about 8 channels of this available, they are all awful.

I just want the actual speeches, I don't need it "contextualized" by the punditry geese on the networks.

C-Span would be thrilled to have you triple their user base statistics.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    That was a great speech by fluke. So pissed the networks didn't even show it.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • HuuHuu Registered User regular
    Oh boy, that was a great speech.

The foxblondes will go crazy with cattiness tomorrow. They have made Fluke their personal enemy.

And as an intelligent, attractive strong women who is making her own way in life she is everything they resent.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Fluke's speech was fantastic.

good for her.

And that line about daughters and delegates and donors?

Very. Well. Written. And delivered!

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Wow, Fluke really did a pretty good job. Impressive speech.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    edited September 2012
    FOX is just a bunch of scoffs right now.

I'm not sure words are even coming out of their mouths.

Edit: They talked about Fluke for less than 2 minutes before Hannity tried to change the subject.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    That was a great speech by fluke. So pissed the networks didn't even show it.

That's kind of silly, considering she was a prime time speaker and I'm sure they ran stories about the GOP calling her a dirty whore. I guess they too wish to silence a strong female voice.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I shop there!

Hmm, C-SPAN seems to be less bad than the others right now.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I shop there!

I've driven past one! Several times!!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Huu wrote: »
    Oh boy, that was a great speech.

The foxblondes will go crazy with cattiness tomorrow. They have made Fluke their personal enemy.

And as an intelligent, attractive strong women who is making her own way in life she is everything they resent.

Ha!

I think Flukes girl-next-door look is more attractive than the faux (get it?!) blondes that work for Fox "News".

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    Nice. Chris Matthews calling gop race baiting again.

LxX6eco.jpg
    Hmm, C-SPAN seems to be less bad than the others right now.

I believe that's their slogan.

SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Nice. Chris Matthews calling gop race baiting again.

Yeah that was surprising, sometimes I forget that Matthews can make a good point when he isn't sucking some politicos cock.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I'm afraid Jim Sinegal is about as exciting as an economy-sized jar of pickles and a 50-pound bag of rice.

"We risked our own money."

Burn.

Matthews at some point got so sick of the bs coming out of the Republicans he has been going after them like that for a while. He misses the 90s I think. He misses the sides talking and blames the pubs.

MSNBC showed all of Fluke. She had a great damn speech.

u7stthr17eud.png
    I'm afraid Jim Sinegal is about as exciting as an economy-sized jar of pickles and a 50-pound bag of rice.

Jasmine rice?

This discussion has been closed.