As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

EVGA 670 and the Red Screen of Death (Now with video goodness)

EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles.Portland, ORRegistered User regular
So, I've been fiddling around with ENB mods for Skyrim, and suddenly, while attempting to get one to work, my screen goes red. Bright red. Nothing short of a hard power down gets me out of it. When I reboot, as soon as the "Windows starting up" animation begins, I lose signal to the monitor. Safe mode works, so I try reinstalling drivers and what not. This works for about 10 seconds after rebooting normally, but then Red Screen of Death again. So I say, "Fuck it" and reinstall Windows 7. The desktop is only used for gaming, so any losses file wise aren't a big deal so I do a total wipe and format of the hard drive.

Reinstall, Windows boots in, I install the video drivers, and upon reboot Red Screen of Death again. I've gone through every version available on the Nvidia site, I've fully updated Windows and THEN installed the drivers, I've updated the motherboard's BIOS, all of these and nothing. Newer versions of the drivers simply lose connection and signal when booting up and older ones get me the RSOD after a few seconds of booting into Windows. I've fully reinstalled Windows three times now to try different orders of doing things.

Is it looking like RMA time? I've only had the card for about a month and a half.

Here's my specs...

i7 3770k CPU
EVGA GeForce 670 GPU
ASUS P8Z77-V Motherboard
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Ideas?

Esh on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Turned it on this morning, and it went "No Signal" after the Windows start screen so I just left it. An hour later I look up and it's turned itself back on and it's at the log-in screen. Log in. Everything is fine. Update all the drivers and still working. Who knows? If it starts doing it again I'll RMA it. I believe I have 3 years with EVGA. Bizarre.

• Options
    And it's down again. Locked up in Skyrim and when I rebooted it wasn't recognizing it and there were artifacts all over the screen. Sent in my RMA request. I thought it was just the 670 SC's that had the problems, but apparently not.

Anyone know if they send you a new card or a refurbed one?

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    My friend dealt with EVGA once upon a time and they sent him a refurb that busted in about 3 months. If you raise enough of a stink they'll send you a new one, but don't hold your breath.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I put it in the mail this morning. They want you to have two inches of clearance on every side of the bubble wrapped card, which meant an almost $30 mailing cost to acomodate the size of the mailing box. I paid to have it shipped back 2 day air as well, so we'll see.

On a better note though, looks like they're sending out new ones...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ooKOyPaepc

Esh on
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Sounds like your first one was having some sort of heat failure. How is the replacement behaving?

If you have the still have the EAR plan with EVGA equipment they will mail you the replacement first (with holding fee on your CC) and then you ship the old one back in their packaging.

Friend has had to use it and was pretty happy. I have a 580 and 680 gtx from them that are both happily cranking along.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    grouch993 wrote: »
    Sounds like your first one was having some sort of heat failure. How is the replacement behaving?

If you have the still have the EAR plan with EVGA equipment they will mail you the replacement first (with holding fee on your CC) and then you ship the old one back in their packaging.

Friend has had to use it and was pretty happy. I have a 580 and 680 gtx from them that are both happily cranking along.

Well, since I put it in the mail yesterday, I'm not sure. I don't have the EAR plan, just the normal warranty. This is honestly, in my 30 years of owning consumer electronics (hello Atari 5200), the first time something has eaten shit on me.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    When I got my 670 Superclocked replaced, they sent me a brand new 670 FTW Edition, but they were doing that at the time because the SO's had a really bad batch run. If they send you a new card, it will be a whole new retail box. If it's just a card in a plastic container, it's a refurb.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    When I got my 670 Superclocked replaced, they sent me a brand new 670 FTW Edition, but they were doing that at the time because the SO's had a really bad batch run. If they send you a new card, it will be a whole new retail box. If it's just a card in a plastic container, it's a refurb.

Yeah, that's what the guy in the video was going on about. I read about the 670 SC problems as well. Hopefully my card gets to them tomorrow and the turnaround isn't too long. Do you remember how long it took for them to get it back to you after they received your defective card? Did you opt for faster shipping?

Esh on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    I put it in the mail this morning. They want you to have two inches of clearance on every side of the bubble wrapped card, which meant an almost $30 mailing cost to acomodate the size of the mailing box. I paid to have it shipped back 2 day air as well, so we'll see.

On a better note though, looks like they're sending out new ones...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ooKOyPaepc

I sent my GTX 470 back to EVGA and was sent back a refurbished one (that, to its credit, did not have the same problem). Turnaround was not too long (more than a week, but not too long), I think. What I do remember is that I sent it in a slightly too small box, that was filled with packing peanuts and the card sealed in anti-static wrapping. They didn't notice, it would appear.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Delivery confirmation shows that they got the package at 2:34pm today.

Did anyone else who has RMA'd with EVGA get a notice when they shipped the replacement card back or did it just show up on their doorstep one day?

Esh on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Well, two day turnaround. Not bad. Shipping label was created and I'm guessing it should start winging its way here tomorrow. I'm assuming a Tuesday or Wednesday delivery date.

Esh on
  • Options
    It's showing up on Tuesday. I'll do an unboxing video and upload it to YouTube for shits and giggles.

• Options
    Well, it came for delivery today but the UPS driver apparently knocks on doors like a 6 year old girl, because I never heard anyone. Left a note saying it needed a signature. Tomorrow I guess.

• Options
    I never did reply to your question, but I guess you figured it out: Their turn around time is good. Especially since we're only a day (two max) by regular shipping methods from them, since they are in Industry City CA.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    The mystery is over! Well, it will be once you watch this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL34qKSMlp8&feature=plcp

Esh on
  • Options
    Brand new, awesome. That's exactly what I got as well.

• Options
    Seeing that video reminds me I really need to make an appointment down at Atlas to get my triforce tattoo sketched out and the ink session scheduled. Your sleeves are bitchin' dude.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Congrats! Have you put it through its paces yet?

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Congrats! Have you put it through its paces yet?

Yeah, it seems to be working fine so far. Skyrim and Guild Wars 2 at max settings and nothings gone wrong yet.

• Options
    For a follow up, it's been working great! Thanks EVGA!