As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    My ATT order still says "pre-order processing". At this point I'm wondering which is going to happen first, the order ships or Best Buy restocks. I keep checking the latter's page and it's still unavailable.

My sister got hers right on time, making that 6:00am pre-order well worth it. I managed to hold the thing myself, and man, it really is as light as people claimed. It's like holding an ID card, and it weighs way less than my wallet.

Almost wondering if I should buy a cover just to add that extra bulk. Also, can anyone confirm if it uses the same type of tempered glass as the iPad? If it does, then a screen protector wouldn't be necessary, right?

• Options
    VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    One of my coworkers did that, but for me i know that as of sunday the store still hadnt recieved any phones that weren't pre ordered

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I walked into the apple store at lunchtime in launch say and it was a minute line to get one.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    This Friday I'm gonna start checking in after work to see if any are in stock. This is how I got my iPad.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    As I suspected, Google has no plans for a native iOS Google Maps app: http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/25/tech/mobile/google-schmidt-maps/index.html?hpt=hp_bn5

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    Except they do and they're working on it:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/25/3407614/apple-over-a-year-left-on-google-maps-contract-google-maps-ios-app

Won't be here for some time though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Ampix wrote: »

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/25/3407614/apple-over-a-year-left-on-google-maps-contract-google-maps-ios-app

Is there anything in this link that connects the title to the content?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    As I suspected, Google has no plans for a native iOS Google Maps app: http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/25/tech/mobile/google-schmidt-maps/index.html?hpt=hp_bn5

That is a mis quote. He was ansewering whether or not an app had been submitted.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Still, that sounds kinda like a.. not well thought out decision. If they still had a year, why not gradually phase google maps out?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Steve jobs and thermo nuclear.

• Options
    the thing with thermonuclear war is that everybody loses

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

Is there anything in this link that connects the title to the content?

Yeah, the title makes no sense, but the gist is that they've been working on it for about a year, and need a few more months. I'm not a developer, but isn't that awfully long to develop an app?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think the situation is pretty terrible for apple.
    In a move to be independent from google in map apps , they only made clear how they dependent they are from them

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    There's only so much you can do from behind your desk in Cupertino, at some point you have to release it into the wild so the entire world can scrutinize it (and so improve it). Google maps sucked pretty bad in the beginning too. The technology (vector maps, turn by turn) is vastly superior, so the move makes sense.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    There's only so much you can do from behind your desk in Cupertino, at some point you have to release it into the wild so the entire world can scrutinize it (and so improve it). Google maps sucked pretty bad in the beginning too. The technology (vector maps, turn by turn) is vastly superior, so the move makes sense.

It makes sense if your goal is to improve Apple's app. If your goal is overall user experience, it would make more sense to keep the old app in some way as you introduce the new app. Or something, I dunno, but going from "the app has lots of stuff and is accurate" to "this app is lacking a lot and isn't very accurate, but it will be better probably over time" is not ideal from a user's standpoint.

It's not a huge deal, the app works well enough, it just would have been nice to not lose something that already worked pretty much perfectly from my perspective.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Well, there was a walmart supercenter in Durham, NC on Apple's maps that did not exist in reality.

Like, at all. At any point in history.

I reported it. It was easy to do, but I lost about ten minutes due to the map not being accurate.

That said, I remember all the times that shit happened to me with google maps in 2006 or 2007, and it is the only time out of about 30 times I have used it since I got it... so I am not terribly pissed or anything.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    The thing is, in the long run (which has always been Apple's focus) this will be better for users. The underlying tech is superior to Gmaps, and they can do more with it (like turn by turn) that they couldn't do with Gmaps due to API restrictions.

Yes, it isn't perfect now, but it's no worse that Gmaps way a few years ago and we all survived that just fine.

• Options
    My only complaint is that it's worse now than what they already had, which they apparently still have the license for. Comparing it to gmaps from years ago doesn't help now :P. it would have just been nice to have both available or a choice to switch, just until its a bit more polished.

We will survive, if course, it's not a huge issue. Just kind of a bad decision, I think

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I know what you're saying, but if both were available, that would do no good. The purpose is to get people using the new app and collect usage data and take in their bug reports. If they just left the old app around, that would minimize the number of people actually using the new one.

That's just it. It won't get more polished until everyone starts using it. Just like Gmaps started getting phenomenally better after 2007 when iPhones and Android phones started shipping with it.

minor incident on
  • Options
    Have apple maps come by default, and the old maps app downloadable. You know the vast majority of people would use the new one still :P. best of both worlds, yeah?

Steam profile
  • Options
    I know what you're saying, but if both were available, that would do no good. The purpose is to get people using the new app and collect usage data and take in their bug reports. If they just left the old app around, that would minimize the number of people actually using the new one.

That's just it. It won't get more polished until everyone starts using it. Just like Gmaps started getting phenomenally better after 2007 when iPhones and Android phones started shipping with it.
    That's not an excuse though.

It'll be better once everyone initially has a crappy time.

Android google maps has all these features, and more.

We could use the existing software. Which has the capabilities to do more. Compared to something which isn't going to be decent for another few years.

• Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular

But it's so bad that people aren't going to use it. I'm not. If I can't trust it to give me the right directions, I'm not using it. I'll use the browser version of Google Maps until they release an app.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Blake T wrote: »

That's not an excuse though.

It'll be better once everyone initially has a crappy time.

Android google maps has all these features, and more.

We could use the existing software. Which has the capabilities to do more. Compared to something which isn't going to be decent for another few years.

And again, Apple cares a lot more about the long term than the immediate. You should be well aware of this by now. Look at how ruthless they are at ditching old tech (floppy drives, optical drives, dock connector). If this whole thing really surprises you, I don't know what to say. Apple is focused on long term user experience at the experience of all else, and often that isn't pleasant in the short term. Just like refusing to allow Flash on iOS seemed to be customer-hostile to some people, in the end it dramatically improved the web browsing experience on mobile. Maps sucks in _some_ ways right now, but it will end up being better than the Google-backed option.

Yes, right now the experience isn't as good in some respects as Gmaps, but in others it's better. The maps look much better and load much faster, and we have great turn-by-turn voice guided directions. The listing errors and mapping issues will work themselves out, but until then you just have to deal with your handheld device using a GPS mapping app that is superior to almost any standalone GPS device on the market.

And yes, Gmaps on Android has many of these features but that's because Google owns it. It would NEVER have that on iOS because the API doesn't allow it.

Look, it annoys me too when the app finds two listings for my local Guitar Center, but I just reported a problem and moved on. And when I went to get directions there again, they had removed the erroneous one. I can live with this. It's hardly the refugee-filled ghetto of mapping programs that people are making it out to be, and Apple is seemingly on top of it.

minor incident on
  • Options
    centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    elevature wrote: »

But it's so bad that people aren't going to use it. I'm not. If I can't trust it to give me the right directions, I'm not using it. I'll use the browser version of Google Maps until they release an app.

Yeah, you're taking a chance using maps for turn-by-turn if you don't have a back up. I'm going to stick with my old stand alone GPS until maps gets better.

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • Options
    For the record, I don't think the maps look better. I don't really care either way, but the claim that they do is obviously subjective :)

Steam profile
  • Options

I sincerely doubt that most people aren't using it. My entire family is fucking bananas over the turn-by-turn stuff, as a small-sample-size counterpoint.

• Options
    kime wrote: »
    For the record, I don't think the maps look better. I don't really care either way, but the claim that they do is obviously subjective :)

Fair point, but they are vectors rather than raster now, so they don't get fuzzy and hard to read at odd zoom levels anymore, and they do load much more quickly. I think those are still big points in their favor.

• Options
    And on a less positive note, while I love the new overall look of the App Store, this one-result-per-page bullshit on the search results has got to stop. Jesus, Christ, that's a bad decision.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Actually, everyone I know with an iPhone and iOS 6 has downloaded a third party nagivation app, usually MotionX Drive at my behest, rather than futz with getting lost because of Apple Maps. So yes, it is that bad. Apple screwed the pooch on this, and they didn't have to. They had another damn year to get their database built up even more, and get Yelp to go get more data, or even quit being tightwads with their 700 billion valuation and buy a complete data set like Magellions.

Yes, there is only so much you can do from behind your desk in Cupertino...and Apple didn't do all of it.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Before I go to a Verizon store and waste my Dad's and my time, is it possible for us to swap phones? I have a 4S and he's due for an upgrade and is going to get a 5 when they're back in stock. Can we swap phones without any breaking contract issues or extraneous fees?

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Should be able to yes, provided you aren't canceling a line or whatever. My ex-wife and I swapped phones once with Sprint, and it was no big deal. Just went in, they reactivated both phones with the new numbers and we walked out. Took all of 20 minutes.

I would just call Verizon though, to see what their policy is.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    No line cancelling just trading phones. He doesn't particularly care what phone he's using as long as it's not a dumbphone, and since he knew I was selling my 4S to buy a 5 he offered to just trade phones. However, if we cant or he ends up really liking the size/form factor of the 5 it's not really an issue because I'm extremely happy with my 4S, and not impressed enough with the 5 to pay $300 over what I could sell my 4S for.

• Options
    Yep, that's how I feel about the 5 as well in comparison to my 4S.

I think you'll be fine, provided the monthly bill you pay every month isn't changing, they shouldn't care if you just swap the numbers across phones.

• Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular

I sincerely doubt that most people aren't using it. My entire family is fucking bananas over the turn-by-turn stuff, as a small-sample-size counterpoint.

True, I forget about turn by turn because I don't drive. I walk, bike, and take transit, and Apple maps is pretty useless for me.

• Options

True, I forget about turn by turn because I don't drive. I walk, bike, and take transit, and Apple maps is pretty useless for me.

It's a pretty clear case of not being able to please everybody. I drive a lot for work, and for far turn-by-turn has proven immensely useful for me (and aside from being about one block off one time, the directions have been nearly perfect so far). At the moment, I'd absolutely take the new app in its current state over the old Google-backed maps app without turn-by-turn. Obviously that's not true for everyone, and I'm not trying to claim it is, just that it's the first step in a long process that has to be taken at some point, otherwise it's just another year of further lagging behind what Google allows Maps on Android to do, while losing another year of real user-feedback on their own app.

• Options
    Alternatively, they could please everyone and at least have an option for the old app. Just, you know, a thought :)

Steam profile
  • Options
    You could have just said "Screw you, got's mine!" and said the same thing you just said.

That's been your entire argument for a couple pages "Apple is right because they didn't personally screw me, and everyone else can just be patient, it will be better Someday (tm)".

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    You could have just said "Screw you, got's mine!" and said the same thing you just said.

That's been your entire argument for a couple pages "Apple is right because they didn't personally screw me, and everyone else can just be patient, it will be better Someday (tm)".

If we're going to get all reductively snarky about it, I could just as easily say that your argument is "I could have build a better Mapping solution than Apple and all of the companies they partnered with and acquired, they r so lazee they couldn't even wait another year."

But I'm not that snide.

My _actual_ argument is as follows:

Apple made the right decision that will result in a better mapping solution in the long run, albeit at the expense of the present-day user experience. It sucks for some people, just like it sucked for people who used lots of floppy disks when the iMac came out. Eventually it will be in their best interest, however. Unless they want built-in transit directions."

And, as always, giving feedback to Apple is much more effective than complaining. This is one of those times of change where Apple is going to be very apt to listen to user feedback and make adjustments. And who knows, anything's possible, judging by the iMovie '08 launch kerfuffle.

• Options
    kime wrote: »
    Alternatively, they could please everyone and at least have an option for the old app. Just, you know, a thought :)

Totally valid point, but I think there are a couple of reasons why that won't happen:

1. Offering both would split the userbase. Creating user confusion, which is something Apple hates.

2. Offering both would eat into the number of users using the new Maps app, which would slow down its database growth. This is something that will already take a couple of years to get up to par with Google, so delaying it is also not in Apple's best interest.

3. Offering another native Maps app may conflict with the terms of their agreement with Google. There may have been some sort of exclusive mapping agreement, which wouldn't surprise me. If that's true, it would be up to Google to release their own app, which might happen, but not within the month or anything.

But hey, I'd be fine with being wrong. Again, the iMovie '08 thing is a perfect example of something like this happening that's totally out of character for Apple.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Never mind BOTM'd.

Cormac on