As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tribute to the first cd-rom pc video games. Live action ftw

13»

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I can't remember for sure my first CD game, but the first game I remember not being able to play for lack of a CD drive was King's Quest 7.

As for live action...

kylekatarn1ww5.jpg

Enough said.

Zek on
  • Options
    KimFidlerKimFidler Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Didn't Phantasmagoria have weird stuff also?

KimFidler on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Those were the days. Remeber the X-Files game? 7 cds.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Everyone remember the load times for each WC3 mission? I laugh derisively at anyone who complains about today's load times

Fuck, I spent 200 bucks to upgrade my 486dx2 50mhz compy (first compy ever) from 4MB to 8MB just to play that game

VoodooV on
  • Options
    MeatPopSICKleMeatPopSICKle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Privateer 2: The Darkening... Whats this, Clive Owen as the lead actor in a video game, yes please.

MeatPopSICKle on
    SignatureSeries6.jpg
  • Options
    Red LegRed Leg Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I remember my first being WarCraft. After that, I ended up playing 7th Guest a lot. Two other early ones I remember having were Darkseed and Martian Memorandum. As a kid, Darkseed really did a number on me. I don't think I ever beat Martian Memorandum. I bought my CD Roms at a local Flea Market (...) and I had no concept of what was new or old. I mostly just bought stuff for the packaging. Sometimes got lucky (Loom, Monkey Island, Cannon Fodder) sometimes I didn't (Descent...)

P.S. Martian Memorandum: The Making of a computer Movie?

Red Leg on
  • Options
    Original RufusOriginal Rufus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    I can't remember for sure my first CD game, but the first game I remember not being able to play for lack of a CD drive was King's Quest 7.

As for live action...

kylekatarn1ww5.jpg

Enough said.

I was going to say it if it hadn't been said...so thank you sir. Though Rebel Assault constitutes my earliest experiences with FMV, nothing touched Jedi Knight for bringing in the coolness.

When I was 9 anyway.

Original Rufus on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have an entire shelf full of FMV games on my games rack, as it's one of my favorite parts of gaming history.

The first FMV game I ever encountered was Dragon's Lair II, which wowed me, followed by Mad Dog McCree. That would go on to be my first CD-ROM game, and then later Myst and 7th Guest. I'd pretty much play anything with video in it.

I asked my parents for a Sega CD just so I could play FMV games, and play them I did! Sewer Shark was great, someone mentioned that. Night Trap was a classic of cheesiness, and set the tone for many FMV games to follow. I'm not sure if this is good or not.

Many of my favorites on the PC have been mentioned already. Fox Hunt is genuinely funny, and so is Zork Grand Inquisitor. I still play both now and then. Wing Commander 3, 4, and Prophecy are the best of the best. I remember thinking that Phantasmagoria was going to revolutionize adventure gaming. Sadly I was wrong. :(

However, my most replayed old CD-ROM game has got to be Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle. I played it first on floppy, and then when the CD version came out I absolutely had to get the talkie edition. It's like playing a cartoon and I love it. Right behind it is Monkey Island 3, which was gorgeous and still is today. Many many fond memories. My childhood gaming revolved around early CD games and FMV, and I loved every second of it.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    SinaelSinael Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Quarantine. <3

The soundtrack to that game rocked so hard; I still whip it out from time to time.

Sinael on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zek wrote: »

As for live action...

kylekatarn1ww5.jpg

Enough said.

I was going to say it if it hadn't been said...so thank you sir. Though Rebel Assault constitutes my earliest experiences with FMV, nothing touched Jedi Knight for bringing in the coolness.

When I was 9 anyway.

man I used to dread the first few levels of Jedi Knight (and the sequel too) where you didn't have the saber or powers yet.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I know someone mentioned it in brief earlier, but how about some more love for Harvester? 4 discs long if I remember correctly, filled with large amounts of off kilter violence and implied sadomasochism. With a hillarious plot twist, and some comical live acting. Look up 'Harvester PC Game' on youtube if you're looking for a good laugh.

Entriech on
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I believe it was Star Wars: Droidworks for me-hilarious modding of star wars robots through various puzzle missions.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    First CD-ROM game: Megarace! Came with an awesome ISA soundcard that lasted for about 10 years.

First CD-ROM game I enjoyed:

MechWarrior_2_cover.jpg

I still have it, too. God, I need to find a computer to install Win98 on.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Kings Quest 6 was my first. But I've played all the others on this list as well.

I remember I got Kings Quest 6 and a game by Dynamix at the same time. Stellar 7 I believe.

7th Guest was amazing way back then. I'll just keep it in my memories though, I'm sure it would be terrible these days.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Remember back when EA was awesome?
    usnf.jpg

My first real RPG, the Genie's Curse. Really fun action-rpg.
    qadim1.gif

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    First CD-ROM game: Megarace! Came with an awesome ISA soundcard that lasted for about 10 years.

"Hey there tiger, all psyched up? Keep that adrenaline pumping!"

"Ooo, you're really scarring me! Alright tough guy, now listen up..."

Still have the disc in mint condition:

megarace1.jpg

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    When did CD ROM become standard? 1994ish? Thats when I remember getting a PC with a CD ROm.

250px-Hexen.jpg

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Entriech wrote: »
    I know someone mentioned it in brief earlier, but how about some more love for Harvester? 4 discs long if I remember correctly, filled with large amounts of off kilter violence and implied sadomasochism. With a hillarious plot twist, and some comical live acting. Look up 'Harvester PC Game' on youtube if you're looking for a good laugh.
    Let's Play of Harverster.

Glal on
  • Options
    EtelmikEtelmik Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    @Disruptor:

You just posted a shot to Hexen. Hexen and Hexen II were the shit. I'm surprised no one mentioned it.

Tie Fighter was awesome too. The AI for your allies was awesome. You could get them do all sorts of amazing orders, like follow you, save your ass, go do your mission for you, do nothing, go to this specific area and patrol it, etc.

I can't remember the name of it, but the Star Wars FPS was great, and the weapons were creative in a way that hasn't really been matched yet. Also the first game I know that had primary and alt firing modes.

Etelmik on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Etelmik wrote: »
    @Disruptor:

You just posted a shot to Hexen. Hexen and Hexen II were the shit. I'm surprised no one mentioned it.

Tie Fighter was awesome too. The AI for your allies was awesome. You could get them do all sorts of amazing orders, like follow you, save your ass, go do your mission for you, do nothing, go to this specific area and patrol it, etc.

I can't remember the name of it, but the Star Wars FPS was great, and the weapons were creative in a way that hasn't really been matched yet. Also the first game I know that had primary and alt firing modes.

Dark Forces. It was the predecessor of all the Jedi Knight games, and starred Kyle Katarn before he grew a beard and became a Jedi. Concussion Rifle FTW!

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Return to Zork
    boosxv2.jpg

I recall playing that on, uh, dos I think. Never got it to work on Windows 3.1 for some reason from memory. Man, I need to go back and play it again, it's been so long. But yet the voices and (rather awesome) music are still stuck in my head.

WANT SOME RYE?

COURSE YOU DO!

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Return to Zork
    boosxv2.jpg

I recall playing that on, uh, dos I think. Never got it to work on Windows 3.1 for some reason from memory. Man, I need to go back and play it again, it's been so long. But yet the voices and (rather awesome) music are still stuck in my head.

WANT SOME RYE?

COURSE YOU DO!

I've not played this game in the better part of a decade, how the fuck can I remember his voice? I was like 7 when I heard it!

Tav on