As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WIC - Demo out (Everyone wants to rule the World)

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to play more - this, or Company of Heroes (just getting into it.) CoH seems harder to really get into.

tyrannus on
  • MeatPopSICKleMeatPopSICKle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I prefer COH, its just incredilble. I just wish more people played it. WIC is seeming to wear thin based on so few units being actually useful. Its probably more that COH i can use tactics and joint operations, where as in WIC i have to rely on others for such things. It never goes well.

MeatPopSICKle on
    SignatureSeries6.jpg
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'll play CoH for the singleplayer but I don't see I could play another multiplayer RTS game right now. I just want to join a game and blow shit up for awhile. I don't want to have to commit an hour of my time because if I don't the game will crash out, or my teammates will be sentenced to die, or I'll miss the part where you actually blow shit up, or whatever else people put up with these days.

FreddyD on
  • ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    I'll play CoH for the singleplayer but I don't see I could play another multiplayer RTS game right now. I just want to join a game and blow shit up for awhile. I don't want to have to commit an hour of my time because if I don't the game will crash out, or my teammates will be sentenced to die, or I'll miss the part where you actually blow shit up, or whatever else people put up with these days.
    Yeah, seriously. I love the big giant "Play Now" button. Click it and within seconds I'll be doing fun stuff. This game reminds me a lot of Enemy Territory funny enough...

Zoolander on
  • LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I like Assault and the new map. It seems to be that people still don't really get how it works, so one person can pretty much win the map with their tanks if they understand what's going on and the enemy doesn't. When both teams get it, though, it makes for some great, tight battles.

LavaKnight on
  • Pat_McRochPat_McRoch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Probably the most enjoyable thing for me is how fast everything loads up and I'm in a game in two minutes from starting client up. It seems very polished as far as performance goes on my pc. But the gameplay itself needs to be polished a bit more. Buildings and other coverings tend crumble too quickly if I am using them for infantry.

Pat_McRoch on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I kinda hate how fast some of the games can be. Like, 8 minutes? Christ.

tyrannus on
  • MeatPopSICKleMeatPopSICKle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Im kind of hoping the final version will have some differant game modes that wont just be point capture. Perhaps just a simple timed game, or an annhilation goal where you have to capture the enemies spawn field. Because just like Rentilius said some games are just to short and you dont get into anything good. Timed games of 20 - 30 minutes would be pretty good.

MeatPopSICKle on
    SignatureSeries6.jpg
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I wish there were some more defensive options.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • StollyStolly Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, I looked, but, surprisingly couldn't find anything about it here, which is a shame. So I guess I'll post some links.

The demo is now out and here are a few mirrors:

http://www.findfiles.com/list.php?string=wic_demo&db=Both&match=All

http://www.fragland.net/downloads.php?id=15889

http://www.fileplanet.com/176065/170000/fileinfo/World-in-Conflict-Demo-(US)

I haven't really tried it out yet. I have mainly fiddled around with the graphics settings. However it contains both a multiplayer and a single player part. Multiplayer will, I assume, not differ much from the already highly polished beta. So it's the single player aspect that is the most interesting aspect of the demo for me. From the intro to the demo mission I get the impression that Massive have put a lot of love into the story, so things look promising.

Stolly on
  • JobastionJobastion Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Someone really needs to change the title. I'm thinking "WIC - Demo out (Everyone wants to rule the World)"
    My roommate just turned around and WTF'd at the credit screen music after the SP campaign demo. That was awesome.
    More awesome will be when the account server syncs back up so that I can login and start shooting down choppas with my mans.

Jobastion on
    Recommended reading - Worm (Superhero Genre) & Pact (Modern Fantasy Thriller) |
    Backlog Wars - Sonic Generations | Steam!
    Viewing the forums through rose colored glasses... or Suriko's Ye Old Style and The PostCount/TimeStamp Restoral Device
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    my demo crashed once. this one has the dx10 effects turned up a notch from the mp beta. the game looks really good.
    screen0000

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
    edited August 2007
    Well, I've given the single player portion a bash now, even if Bioshock has kept ne from actually finishing it. And I must say I'm impressed. The game is fast paced without being overwelming and you get the feeling that there is a fair amount of depth to the gameplay, despite the frantic pace and smaall amount of units at your disposal.

I'm completely sold on this game. Launch day purchase confirmed.

Stolly on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Credits theme music for the win.

The_Scarab on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Just played the demo through, that is really fun. I like the level of strategy it asks of you when you play it, I'm used to too many games just being get the biggest baddest units out and go to town. I think I'm definitely going to have to get this when it comes out.

I liked the way the graphics came out too, I was concerned it would be too much for what I have but the game looked nice and ran smoothly for me on medium settings. For reference my computer is 2.1Ghz with 3 gig RAM and an nVIDIA 7800 GS AGP (that's what I was mostly worried about). I haven't read very much of the thread so if its been known it would work well on with that stuff my bad for mentioning it again.

Also, yes, the end credit music is perfect.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • g0oseg0ose Registered User new member
    edited September 2007
    registered just to bump this thread. try out this demo, its the bomb. and i dont even like RTS

g0ose on
    valerian7ne8.jpg
    edited September 2007
    Buildings need to take less damage from tanks and shit.

Playing as infantry it basically playing hide and seek constantly moving from building to building until the whole map is littered with 1% hp buildings you wont send your men into. And infantry are too weak out in the open and need to be inside a building to succeed.

Also, I nominate fuel air bomb for best video game weapon of all time. Its so fucking satisfying to use. More so than the Daisy cutter or the nukes. Its like this split second before it erupts with the gas in the air. awesome.

The_Scarab on
  • g0oseg0ose Registered User new member
    edited September 2007
    infantry are the biggest pain in the ass until you've blown up all the buildings around the town square. after a few nukes or a team laser guided bombs a bunch of the buildings, infantry get nerfed hard

and yes, fuel air bomb is seriously awesome. i always end up leaving my units to die as i zoom in real close to the enemies sitting in the blast area to watch the rapage

g0ose on
    valerian7ne8.jpg
  • darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man, I played this game so wrong the first time I downloaded it. I was like, "I can't see any of my, or my enemy's, infantry! They're just tiny dots!"

Then I zoomed in and it was glorious. At first I thought this couldn't put a dent into the genre that now belongs to CoH, SupCom, and SC, but with that single zoom-in I thought it could give them a run for their money. I like the single player mission in the demo. It gave me the real feeling of being just one officer in one large battle. You could see explosions and gunfire happening away from you, and you looked in your radar and real units were fighting there.

Also, nice choice of credits music.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
    edited September 2007
    Still doesnt quite capture the brilliance of company of heroes, but it is the first rts in a long time to even come close to being as good as it. excellent game, fun to play and the polish is incredible. from what i hear the single player campaign has to be seen to be believed, its like properly cinematic and extremely well done.

The_Scarab on
  • polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Still doesnt quite capture the brilliance of company of heroes, but it is the first rts in a long time to even come close to being as good as it. excellent game, fun to play and the polish is incredible. from what i hear the single player campaign has to be seen to be believed, its like properly cinematic and extremely well done.

I tried the demo yesterday, and was pretty impressed. I think the benchmark test in the options menu needs to be looked at, though, because I got WAY better performance out of the actual demo than I did in that benchmark, with the same detail settings. What little of the story they expose you to is presented very nicely, similar to COH's narrative style, but with more cutscenes in the middle of the missions, as opposed to bookending them.

polaris314 on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I was in the open BETA, have their been any additions o the game since then. (I would make a question mark but my laptop only makes É!

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    New WiC trailers up:

Tellin' it on the Buildin'
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24644.html

Destruction Blues
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/23603.html

GC 2007 Trailer
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/23744.html

Magnum PI Style:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/player/23248.html
    Best WiC trailer, or best trailer of all frigging time?

If they release a special edition I really hope all these trailers get put on there. These are awesome.

subedii on
  • strategerystrategery Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah whoever does the trailers for WiC deserves a damn medal. They're all gold. Especially the Everybody Wants to Rule the World trailer, and the Destruction Blues trailer.

strategery on
    Strategeryz0r.png
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Thanks for reminding me, I thought I might have missed one.

subedii on
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This game is awesome. Its the first demo in a while i've played for more than 10 hours soooo preordered. I just recently upgraded to a 8800gtx and while the framerates in the demo are now much smoother and DX10 is very pretty (performance hit wasn't as bad as I thought it might of been) it doesn't seem to matter what sort of hardware you have if your close to the blast area of a nuke your framerate goes to crap for about 10 seconds then clears up. No big deal if your view isn't right close to the nuke though. DX10 also seems to cause the load times to be a bit longer but not by a ton. Hopefully with patches the framerate will get a boost.

powersurge on
  • LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    How many maps are there in the multiplayer beta? The lack of maps in the open beta turned me off somewhat, the closed beta actually had more maps.

Will probably pick this up when it hits the store, just isn't very fun when you are limited to a very small amount of maps.

Luiane on
    Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
    edited September 2007
    IGN have released the first review of the full game, and boy, do they like it.:D

http://pc.ign.com/articles/818/818867p1.html

I don't think there is a single complaint in the entire review.

Stolly on
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Anyone still playing this? I have the demo out now. Seems that it's only do_Seaside as that's the only map I've played on the demo so far. Loving it, but I still haven't figured out a lot of the maneuvering required for ground troops.

Thinking about picking this up tomorrow on release day and wondering if anyone is planning on starting a PA clan.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I already own the game.

Urian on
    edited September 2007
    Did you buy it straight from sierra/massgate? I'm curious how folks have ranks already. It lost my info from beta (not really surprised by this), but wondering how folks have ranks.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Actually if you preordered you got a bonus map but when I was playing the demo not a lot of people played it. (plus I liked the demo map more anyway)

I really liked the demo but I had to uninstall it. I was playing it so much I was afraid I might get burned out before the retail game hit :lol: Just waiting for gamestop to call me to go pick up my copy.

powersurge on
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Urian wrote: »
    I already own the game.

so do I....I'm afraid to install it till tomarrow... :(

Shade on
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    I got my CE from EB a few days ago. Haven't put in my CD key for multiplayer yet though.

Urian on
  • KartanKartan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Urian wrote: »
    I got my CE from EB a few days ago. Haven't put in my CD key for multiplayer yet though.

amazon just send word it won't be here until the 20. So much for german efficiency...

Kartan on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    Does the CE edition elsewhere include a piece of the Berlin Wall like the UK CE does?

I found that a bit of a O_o gift for a CE.

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited September 2007
    You guys have any quick references for the different playstyles of armor/infantry/support handy? I've lightly browsed the WiC forums, but nothing in depth yet. I am quite decent at air, ok at armor (still trying to figure out the staples like attack/move since the demo has no instructions). I suck something awful at infantry though.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Does the CE edition elsewhere include a piece of the Berlin Wall like the UK CE does?

Aye it does, and I totally forgot about it until you mentioned it just now. I may just have to pick up the CE today...

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    brynstar wrote: »

Aye it does, and I totally forgot about it until you mentioned it just now. I may just have to pick up the CE today...

It contains an actual piece of the Berlin Wall?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Darmak wrote: »
    brynstar wrote: »

It contains an actual piece of the Berlin Wall?

Yup, certified and all that. It also contains some History Channel documentary about the Berlin Wall, along with the usual smattering of bonus materials.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51