As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play: Earthbound! Raneados is a huge gay itt (56k no way)

• Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    dosei_110.jpg

I am sure this is like eight pages late, but a little more saturn never hurt nobody

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Like, Tales of Symphonia, or Gothic 3, something like that, I can pretend that there's more to combat than button mashing, as compared to say, Star Fox Adventures, where it really is nothing more than hitting a button over and over, and there's little to no option to improve it.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    dosei_110.jpg

I am sure this is like eight pages late, but a little more saturn never hurt nobody

Is that a mister saturn from SSB, or from the never-realized N64 earthbound game?

Shorty on
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Shorty wrote: »
    dosei_110.jpg

Is that a mister saturn from SSB, or from the never-realized N64 earthbound game?
    looks like the N64 game to me, but really it's just the first result on a GIS

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    CriticalCritical Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pretty sure thats from Melee.

Critical on
    edesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    KAY-O

Shorty on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you look at the URL, it's from a Japanese N64 website with 'smash' in the name.

I think it's safe to say that it's from SSB.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It could also be from the EB strategy guide. That (which is, incidentally, the most awesome strategy guide ever) had a bunch of clay-looking models of all the characters and enemies tossed throughout it.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    POO01.GIF

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Zilla84 wrote: »
    It could also be from the EB strategy guide. That (which is, incidentally, the most awesome strategy guide ever) had a bunch of clay-looking models of all the characters and enemies tossed throughout it.

Whippy has a copy. It's so awesome.

Shorty on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I gave one of my oldest friends both my copy of Earthbound and the strategy guide, which were both bought brand new when they came out. He's taken good care of them so I don't feel too bad about it, and he lets me borrow em back whenever.

But oh man it's such a cool guide. The only people who make guides that cool now-a-days are Doublejump.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah. Nintendo's first-party guides used to be great. Now they're basically the same as Prima and Brady. Versus was pretty good when they were still around. Doublejump is fucking great. I want them to put out a guide for Pokemon.

Shorty on
  • Options
    CriticalCritical Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I loved Versus guides because they actually had a sense of humor with some of them. The Majora's Mask one in particular wasn't afraid to poke fun at the dumber points of the game.

Critical on
    edesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    My Majora's Mask guide is the official Nintendo one. :(

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Strategy guides in general suck nowadays. I have this old SimEarth strategy guide - it's fucking awesome. In addition to strategies for the game, there's a fuckton of information on evolution and such.

Also, the I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream strategy guide had the walkthroughs written from the point of view of the characters, as well as including the original story and an interview with Harlan Ellison.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The Earthbound guide is great for similar reasons. Before every chapter there are faux newspaper clips of the events in the last chapter and the events that will happen in this chapter. The Threed one talks about zombies and graveyards. The one before Winters talks about how a boy left the orphanage (the stolen cookies may be related) and how the Bad Key Machine could be used by thieves. (Detailed technical specifications have been released on the Internet.)

It's all very well written and totally extra. Great stuff.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Haha, I remember when I entered the room with all the presents, I didn't even talk to the guy. Just hey, presents!

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Buddy LeeBuddy Lee Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Teefs, this thread is great.

Buddy Lee on
    Join Penny-Arcaders in EPL Fantasy Futbol! Click to see details.

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/my-leagues/

The join code for the CLASSIC league: 214755-65927

The join code for the HEAD-TO-HEAD league: 5294-3346
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    yeah all the characters were modeled in clay before they were drawn digitally

I think they did pretty damn well with the graphical style and snes' limitations

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    yeah all the characters were modeled in clay before they were drawn digitally

I think they did pretty damn well with the graphical style and snes' limitations

Doom used clay models.
    And someone made an Earthbound Doom mod.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    TrexyTrexy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I remember wayyyyyyy back in the day I found an Everquest strategy guide. I snatched it up without a second thought before I realized it was mostly a bunch of random opinions on the classes, and a bunch of incorrect information.

I took the time to go through it and scribble notes in the margins, correcting the false information, and updating when patches changed things.

Trexy on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Seriously wrote: »
    Playing Chrono Trigger again.

I feel bad, because the first time through I didn't realize how awesome Lucca was.

Way, way better than that blond ditz.

The best party is Crono, Frog, and Lucca. You get all three elements and access to shadow magic via their triple tech, Frog can heal, and three party members who can all deal burly damage.

i prefer robo frog and crono
    or chrono frog and magus
    hell just chrono and frog talking down everyone ever

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    Playing Chrono Trigger again.

I feel bad, because the first time through I didn't realize how awesome Lucca was.

Way, way better than that blond ditz.

The best party is Crono, Frog, and Lucca. You get all three elements and access to shadow magic via their triple tech, Frog can heal, and three party members who can all deal burly damage.

i prefer robo frog and crono
    or chrono frog and magus
    hell just chrono and frog talking down everyone ever

Yeah. Crono and Frog are killing machines. Magus provides that extra touch of totally freaking awesome.

Shorty on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    god i need to find a copy of the psx version

god i need it

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    JoonJoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Strategy guides in general suck nowadays.

You're not kidding. I remember looking through a Pokemon guide which, normally, gave you detailed information on trainers such as which pokemon they use, what level, and all that jazz. At one part I glanced at, there were a ton of trainers together so they just wrote "There are too many trainers here but they mostly use water types." Uh, gee, thanks. Really working hard there, eh, guys?

Joon on
    bartsig.png
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited July 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Wow, the real Let's Play experience!

Moriveth on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What is the best team after Crono gets vaporized?

It's not that important because I am ridiculously overleveled, but still.

More topically, I need to work on powering up Jeff some more, it was basically luck that I made it through that fucking department store. I must get to MOONSIDE.

Seriously on
  • Options
    redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zilla84 wrote: »
    The ToP gameboy advance version is terrible, but supposedly the SNES one is great.
    No, it isn't. It's awful. Combat is just hitting the A button over and over. The only reason people like that game is because of one line, delivered by Klarth: "I'll bet she fucks like a tiger."
    Which is not in the original game and was added to DeJap's translation to 'spice up' the dialogue. emot-eng101.gif
    What is the best team after Crono gets vaporized?
    Unfortunately Frog, Frog, and Frog is not an option. I usually go with Frog, Robo, and Ayla.

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • Options
    Seta 3000Seta 3000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Why is it that everyone goes with Frog and Ayla

I mean, even I go with Frog and Ayla, before I even knew others did it

Also the best team if you don't get Crono back is Magus, Frog and Ayla

Seta 3000 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well, Ayla's fast, powerful and can heal, so...

...it's weird that I never use her.

I named my Frog "Death" actually.

And I am now in Moonwel ot cosidme

So uh,

Is Jeff useless or am I using him wrong? Homeslice just seems to die basically.

Seriously on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I usually name frog Glenn.

Since that's his real name and all.

Shorty on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah but I don't like that name.

Seriously on
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Buzz Buzz NOOOOOOOOOOO

that's all i have to offer this thread

edit: not really

i played chrono trigger too much not to delve into it

suffice to say i am pretty gay for magus, which i don't feel to bad about cause his name is kinda girly

i could always just pretend

frog (er glen) is pretty awesome

I imagine robo to be the Mallow of the RPG group, though his level is one of the best if only for the race, the part where you fight 6 robos, and the music

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Star Salzman did an amazing remix of Magus' music.

http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01453/

Shorty on
  • Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    God I am SO stuck in Earthbound right about where we are on the Let's Play.

Like, I talked to Apple Kid, gave him the money and such, but when I go to the Valley to go look at the pencil, I ALWAYS dies on my way back. Fucking sprouts keep using Magnet, then bashing the hell out of me, and I can't heal because I don't have any PP so I fucking die every fucking time godamnit fuck.

Are there any battle items that raise PP that DON'T cost a shit ton of money?

monsterror on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    monsterror wrote: »

Like, I talked to Apple Kid, gave him the money and such, but when I go to the Valley to go look at the pencil, I ALWAYS dies on my way back. Fucking sprouts keep using Magnet, then bashing the hell out of me, and I can't heal because I don't have any PP so I fucking die every fucking time godamnit fuck.

if you don't have much money, raise chickens

buy an egg and hold onto it for awhile, and drop the for sale sign

also don't use the fucking slingshot

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

What is this Harvest Moon?

monsterror on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

What is this Harvest Moon?

have you ever thought about a new vocation

perhaps you should condsider

fireburnkill.jpg

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    god i need to find a copy of the psx version

god i need it
    Well, it's better than not being able to play at all, but the psx version of CT sucks so bad. One of the worst ports ever. There is about a 10 second load time to open the menu. The menu. It's just a horribly slow game that Square did a terrible job with, regardless of the nifty new cutscenes.

Cilla Black on