As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pillars of Eternity: I updated the FUCK out of the OP, everyone! [Obsidian's New RPG]

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    we dont know how big the actual levels are yet. they could be so big that getting through them takes a ton of time and people give up before seeing the end.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    How can something called "the endless paths" have an end? This game sucks!

DLC and mods.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    if they get enough followers, when you face dracula at the bottom of the 16th floor he retreats into the inverted endless paths

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular

DLC and mods.

Oh, so now I either have to pay more money or hope fans can fix the developer's errors for the endless paths to actually be endless?
    god i hope people realize i'm not being serious

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    if they get enough followers, when you face dracula at the bottom of the 16th floor he retreats into the inverted endless paths

: )

And you unlock Boss Rush mode.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I thought all europeans had alcohol in their blood.

The proof rises the closer you get to Russia.

• Options
    Rhan9 wrote: »

From sangría to vodka.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular

DLC and mods.

Oh, so now I either have to pay more money or hope fans can fix the developer's errors for the endless paths to actually be endless?
    god i hope people realize i'm not being serious

That's it, I'm cancelling my preorder.

...oh wait, they billed me already.

OBSIDIAAAAAAAAN!
    Somewhere, someone is saying this and they mean it. I laugh at first, and then it starts to hurt.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

Are Ireland and Scotland no longer in Europe? Or are we talking only mainland?

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular

Ireland and Scotland are both England (even that bit of Ireland that isn't England) and we all know that in England people only ever drink tea.

• Options

While whisky is lovely, have you ever been drinking with people of slavic persuasion?
    Besides, we started from Italy and thereabouts, so I assumed it was a mainland progression. Adding Scotland and the likes makes determining the logistics of blood ABV determination much more complicated.

• Options

Ireland and Scotland are both England (even that bit of Ireland that isn't England) and we all know that in England people only ever drink tea.

And no matter what the English say, they make tea incorrectly. It's not good tea if it needs milk(unless it's chai, but you need to go to India for that, not the horrid syrup shit that hipster coffee shops sell).

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular

And no matter what the English say, they make tea incorrectly. It's not good tea if it needs milk(unless it's chai, but you need to go to India for that, not the horrid syrup shit that hipster coffee shops sell).

Being from England, i can tell you this is only half true.

• Options

Being from England, i can tell you this is only half true.
    Right, it's possible to get decent chai outside India.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular

I wonder if they used filemaker to keep track of all the different paths and choices.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular

I invite you to drink with me at any time.

/scotch-irish

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »

I invite you to drink with me at any time.

/scotch-irish
    That explains so much.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

dont do it

ur poking da hornets nezt

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Marceor better known as *Imma visit Obsidian* has got his tour of Obsidian and got to interview Adam Brennecke. Will be sharing new details
    Thanks for the kind words guys, and thanks Tigranes for linking this to your thread.

I was fortunate enough to interview Adam Brennecke at the Obsidian offices today about the game, and managed to come away with a couple of new details that haven't been shared publicly yet. I'll be updating my guide with those details soon enough, and posting the interview responses at sorcerers.net.

Cheers!

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular

The difference is, the Russians hold it better.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Interviews

Chris Avellone

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-10-19-project-eternity-how-chris-avellone-blew-by-4-million-on-kickstarter

Adam Brennecke (By Marceror)

http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58248
    [Marceror] We were very spoiled during Kickstarter with the daily information updates. Do you have a sense as to how regularly progress updates will be given to the community going forward? It’s great that you have so much freedom to interact and share with the fans, but I’m sure there’s a point where too much sharing might detract from productivity. How will you find the right balance?

[Adam] We’d like to do updates as often as possible. We are still working this out, but I’d at least like to provide updates to the fans on a weekly basis, perhaps bi-weekly. We love the freedom that we have with this project to share with the fans and get their feedback. I’m looking a lot at how Double Fine Adventure (another recently successful Kickstarter project) is handling this. I like their format and will probably do something similar. In fact, Josh (Sawyer) is currently working on an update that will be shared soon. We want to continue to keep in touch with the fans, and let them know what’s going on. We actually enjoy it.
    [Marceror] Might you try to go back to the traditional publisher funding model, if you can prove that this game style has the profit potential to lure a big publisher into supporting it?

[Adam] More likely we’ll try to self-publish it, using the profits that we make from selling Project Eternity. If it’s that successful we can make enough money to fund the next title. That’s kind of what we’re planning on doing for the expansion. We’d prefer to self-fund rather than go through the Kickstarter. I think fans enjoy doing it, but it’s a risk to them since they don’t know if the game is going to get made or not. It’s also a lot of work on our end to manage a Kickstarter campaign. So we’d rather be able to self-fund our projects.
    [Marceror] Inquiring minds want to know. Who was the most hung-over Obsidian employee following the celebration on Tuesday night?

[Adam] Probably Rob [Nessler, the Art Director for Project Eternity]. He by far was working really hard during the entire campaign, generating new art, keeping the progress images up to date and generating all of the dungeon levels. He really wanted to make each level unique, and make sure he wasn’t copying a level from above. He really wanted to hand draw it
    [Marceror] Is there any cool detail about the game, perhaps something about a companion, a class or race, a story element or some other detail that you might be able to share with me, to be shared as an exclusive first at Sorcerers Place? Obviously something that you won’t get in trouble for sharing.

…Adam thinks solemnly for a moment….

[Adam] We are developing a character that is an Orlan Cipher, who is a detective (Orlans are a new race in Project Eternity. They are small folk based after the gnome and the Halfling). He isn’t necessarily upper class, but he comes from wealth, so he dresses very nicely. Because he’s a Cipher he has somewhat psychic abilities that help him as a detective, and he uses that to investigate murders and the like. So that’s a character we are developing right now.

C2B on
  • Options
    BassguyBassguy Ghost Ride the Dragon Registered User regular
    There is a kind of mild depression coming off of a successful Kickstarter campaign. I'm all hyped up because cool stuff is happening, it reaches a high, and then it's over. No more total to check. No more stretch goals to hope for. Just a long wait for the next interesting project as well as the finished product I backed. Is this what being on the drugs feels like? ;-)

• Options
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    [Adam] We are developing a character that is an Orlan Cipher, who is a detective (Orlans are a new race in Project Eternity. They are small folk based after the gnome and the Halfling). He isn’t necessarily upper class, but he comes from wealth, so he dresses very nicely. Because he’s a Cipher he has somewhat psychic abilities that help him as a detective, and he uses that to investigate murders and the like. So that’s a character we are developing right now.

Okay, this guy sounds awesome.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    From facebook: wischik.com/lu/senses/pst-book.html
    Planescape: Torment is an emotionally deep, thoughtful computer game. You play an amnesiac immortal in search of his past and future. Rhyss Hess played through the game, wrote down all the dialog, and added enough narrative to make it flow like a novel.

The PDF file of the novel, above, has already been formatted as a book. Print it out double-sided on A4 or Letter sized paper (120 sheets of paper). Then take it to a book-binders to have it bound.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Some pics I found on 4chan that day:
    198630_356071504484112_890292333_n.jpg

525782_356071494484113_606024494_n.jpg

282273_356071467817449_1195368997_n.jpg

Balloonicorn in the house.
    65405_356071567817439_2000506080_n.jpg

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    PhurrehPhurreh Registered User regular
    Say, is there a recording of their PnP D&D game stream somewhere? I need to see more Avellone saying fantasy things with his mouth °3°

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »

Okay, this guy sounds awesome.

So a fancy psychic hobbit detective. I approve.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Phurreh wrote: »
    Phurreh wrote: »
    Say, is there a recording of their PnP D&D game stream somewhere? I need to see more Avellone saying fantasy things with his mouth °3°

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heLiH1LjMlU

Featuring: Josh Sawyer, Chris Avellone, Jorge Salgado (Known as Oscuro in the Bethesda Mod scene), Bobby Null and Jessica Kernan (IIRC)

C2B on
  • Options
    Jorge Salgado has an awesome voice btw.

• Options
    PhurrehPhurreh Registered User regular
    Thanks C2B, this is entertainment we don't get on TV.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    vHTdSs.gif

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Oh and in other Josh Sawyer news he just tweeted this video with the comment "this guy is living my dream" so that doesn't have anything to do with Project Eternity but Josh Sawyer is my favorite game developer I think.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Obsidian is at work getting its people back, having (at least AFAIK) having two emplyees hired back they had to let go in march after the cancellation.

Also Obsidian hired Robert Land as a designer (works there since the beginning of october). He's ex-carbine and Tim Cain's husband.

185134_3974929448574_1455044633_n.jpg

C2B on
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Are they really married?

Also, loving the Hello Kitty Master Chief.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Are they really married?
    I guess it depends on where/when they got married.
    Halo Kitty! Who doesn't love a pun?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Are they really married?

MS could have marketed the Xbox in Japan with that.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    New Update

What We're Up To

Thanks to you, we're funded. Now the work begins. At this stage of the project, we are still in pre-production, so at Wednesday morning's team meeting we started talking about the passion-stirring topic of logistics. Before we start scripting quests and writing dialogues, we need to understand the full scope of what we're setting out to do. In some ways, the basics stay the same for us as they did a decade ago. But we have new problems to solve and we need to have them all worked out before we enter production.

The key elements we have been focusing on are:

The size and structure of the world - This game will be... large. And it will have two big cities, exploration areas, and a 15-level mega-dungeon. Ensuring that the world is planned properly requires examination of what has worked for us in the past and what hasn't. The original Baldur's Gate had a number of wilderness areas, but low density of content in many of those areas. Baldur's Gate II had much greater content density, but fewer wilderness/pure exploration areas. We'd like to make sure we have pure exploration areas while still maintaining good content density.

Dynamic environment integration - Animated objects, interactive objects, ambient visual effects, water, dynamic lights and shadows -- all of these elements can be featured even within a "2D" world. Our goal is to strike a good balance between visual fidelity, performance (including memory on disk), and the amount of time environment artists have to spend setting up their areas. We prefer dynamic solutions that are relatively easy to author, as we want our environment artists to maximize their efficiency.

Lore and story - What we've developed so far has been the result of a small number of impromptu discussions and high-level efforts. Last week, we (including George -- thanks!) had our first meeting to increase development of the setting and story. We discussed major themes we'd like to explore, the order in which we'd each like to develop aspects of the lore and characters, and what elements we each were having trouble wrapping our heads around. Our immediate focus is on the central conflict of the story and the various factions that have a stake in it.

As the song goes, we've only just begun, but the team is excited and determined to make a game that lives up to your, and our, expectations. You've put a huge amount of trust in us, and we want to repay you with the best RPG we can.

Next week, we'll be talking about system design and how we're approaching mechanics like class design, advancement, and the role of equipment. We're also working on fulfillment of some of the Kickstarter pledges and we'll have more info on that in the next few weeks. Finally, if you missed our D&D session from last week, we have it up on the YouTubes for your enjoyment!

Update by Josh Sawyer
    PE-Dungeon-Levels.jpg

C2B on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    That's gonna be on hellova dungeon

steam_sig.png