As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Twilight Imperium] Game 5 - Round 8: Game Over!

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Naalu should have thrown an extra dakka into that battle.

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Muaat

Build a Cruiser in Quann by spending a Strategic Allocation.

TG/AC/PC: 2/6/2
    SA/FS/CP: 0/5/2

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    Max fleet size is equal to your Fleet Supply right? Not fleet supply -1?

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Yes, that's correct. Update will be coming in a few minutes.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Round 5: Action Phase Update 3

The Naalu Collective: Activate the Queen's Folly system (CP 2 --> 1).
    Move in 1 Cruiser, 1 Carrier, and 6 Fighters from the Naalu Home System.
    L1z1x declares a retreat in the first round of battle, activating the Queen's Rift system (SA 1 --> 0).
    In the combat, Naalu loses 2 Fighters; L1z1x damages 1 Dreadnought and retreats his 2 Dreadnoughts to the Queen's Rift system.
    The L1z1x Mindnet: Play the Primary Ability of the (1) Leadership Strategy Card and exhaust Torkan (3I) and Faunus (3I) to place 2 counters into Strategy Allocation and 4 counters into Command Pool (SA 0 --> 2, CP 1 --> 5).
    Creuss plays on the secondary, exhausting Mecatol Rex (6I) to place 1 counter into Fleet Supply and 1 counter into Command Pool (SA 8 --> 9, CP 3 --> 4).
    Muaat plays on the secondary, exhausting Centauri (3I) and Gral (1I) to place 2 counters into Fleet Supply (FS 5 --> 7).
    Jol-Nar plays on the secondary, exhausting Meer (4I), Rigel I (1I), and Political Card "Class Struggle" (PC 4 --> 3), placing 2 counters into Strategy Allocation and 1 counter into Command Pool (SA 1 --> 3, CP 4 --> 5).
    Universities of Jol-Nar: Activate Naalu Home System (CP 5 --> 4), playing Action Card "Flank Speed" (AC 4 --> 3) to increase movement into the system by 1.
    Move in 1 Cruiser from Jol-Nar Home System, Flagship from the Rigel system, and 1 Dreadnought from Bereg-Lirta IV.
    PDS Fire damages the Jol-Nar Flagship and Dreadnought.
    In the space battle, Jol-Nar expends Action Card "Recheck" (AC 3 --> 2) to claim no losses, while Naalu loses 1 Carrier and 2 Fighters; combat resolves in favor of Jol-Nar.
    The Embers of Muaat: Spend a counter from Strategic Allocation to produce a Cruiser from the Muaat Flaghsip in Quann (SA 1 --> 0).

Current Map: Round 5, Action Phase Update 3

Current Technologies

Victory Points and Objectives
    The L1z1x Mindnet: 4 VP
    The Ghosts of Creuss: 3 VP
    Universities of Jol-Nar: 2 VP
    The Naalu Collective: 1 VP
    The Yin Brotherhood: 1 VP
    The Embers of Muaat: 1 VP

Public Objectives
    [1 VP] I now spend 3 Command Counters from my Command and/or Strategy Allocation areas.: L1z1x, Creuss, Naalu, Muaat
    [1 VP] I am blockading an opponent's Space Dock.:
    [1 VP] I control planets with a total influence greater than the player to my immediate right and greater than the player to my immediate left.: Creuss, Yin Jol-Nar
    [1 VP] I control Mecatol Rex.: Creuss
    [1 VP] I successfully invaded one planet containing at least 1 opposing Ground Force this turn.: Jol-Nar, L1z1x
    1 Stage I Objective and 5 Stage II Objectives remain hidden.

Secret Objectives
    Universities of Jol-Nar: 1 Secret Objective
    The Naalu Collective: 1 Secret Objective
    The L1z1x Mindnet: [2 VP] Threatening: I control systems adjacent to 2 different player's Home Systems.
    The Ghosts of Creuss: 1 Secret Objective
    The Embers of Muaat: 1 Secret Objective
    The Yin Brotherhood: 2 Secret Objectives

Universities of Jol-Nar - caliber and GrimmyTOA:
    Trade Goods: 4
    Action Cards: 2
    Political Cards: 3

Strategy Allocation: 3
    Fleet Supply: 4
    Command Pool: 4

Trade Contracts: (Jol-Nar [3], Jol-Nar [1])
    Technology: Hylar V Assault Laser, Deep Space Cannon, Magen Defense Grid, Antimass Deflectors, Enviro Compensator, Sarween Tools, Micro Technology, Nano Technology, Graviton Laser System

Worlds:
    X - Jol (1R, 2I)
    X - Nar (2R, 3I)
    X - Arinam (1R, 2I, B)
    X - Bereg (3R, 1I, R)
    X - Lirta IV (2R, 3I, G)
    X - Meer (0R, 4I)
    X - Rigel I (0R, 1I, G)
    X - Rigel II (1R, 2I)
    X - Rigel III (1R, 1I, B)
    The Naalu Collective - stever777:
    Trade Goods: 6
    Action Cards: 3
    Political Cards: 1

Strategy Allocation: 1
    Fleet Supply: 3
    Command Pool: 1

Trade Contracts: (Naalu [2], Naalu [1])
    Technology: Antimass Deflectors, Enviro Compensator

Worlds:
    R - Maaluuk (0R, 2I)
    R - Druaa (3R, 1I)
    R - Abaddon (1R, 0I, R)
    R - Ashtroth (2R, 0I)
    X - Loki (1R, 2I)
    The L1z1x Mindnet - Kilnaga and Iron Weasel:
    Trade Goods: 0
    Political Cards: 0

Strategy Allocation: 2
    Fleet Supply: 4
    Command Pool: 5

Trade Contracts: (L1z1x [1], L1z1x [1])
    Technology: Enviro Compensator, Stasis Capsules, Cybernetics, Hylar V Assault Laser, Automated Defense Turrets, Assault Cannon

Worlds:
    R - [0.0.0] (5R, 0I)
    X - Faunus (1R, 3I, G (x2))
    R - Saudor (2R, 2I)
    R - Tequ'ran (2R, 0I, R)
    X - Torkan (0R, 3I, B)
    R - Vega Major (2R, 1I)
    R - Vega Minor (1R, 2I, B)
    The Ghosts of Creuss - Orange Soda and SeGaTai:
    Trade Goods: 7
    Action Cards: 4

Strategy Allocation: 2
    Fleet Supply: 9
    Command Pool: 4

Trade Contracts: (Creuss [2], Creuss [2])
    Technology: Antimass Deflectors, XRD Transporters, Hylar V Assault Laser

Worlds:
    X - Creuss (4R, 2I)
    R - Lodor (3R, 1I, G)
    R - Mallice (0R, 3I)
    X - Mecatol Rex (1R, 6I)
    R - Mirage (1R, 2I, F (x2))
    R - Wellon (1R, 2I)
    The Embers of Muaat - Void Slayer:
    Trade Goods: 2
    Action Cards: 6
    Political Cards: 2

Strategy Allocation: 0
    Fleet Supply: 7
    Command Pool: 2

Trade Contracts: (Muaat [2], Muaat [2])
    Technology: Enviro Compensator, Sarween Tools, Micro Technology, Hylar V Assault Laser, Deep Space Cannon, War Sun, Neural Motivator

Worlds:
    X - Muaat (4R, 1I)
    X - Capha (3R, 0I)
    X - Centauri (1R, 3I)
    X - Gral (1R, 1I, B)
    X - Quann (2R, 1I, G)
    X - Tar'mann (1R, 1I)
    The Yin Brotherhood - MrBody:
    Trade Goods: 1

Strategy Allocation: 3
    Fleet Supply: 7
    Command Pool: 2

Trade Contracts: (Yin [1], Yin [1])
    Technology: Hylar V Assault Laser, Automated Defense Turrets, Enviro Compensator, Stasis Capsules

Worlds:
    R - Darien (2R, 4I)
    X - Hercalor (1R, 0I, Y)
    R - Qucen'n (1R, 2I)
    R - Rarron (0R, 3I, G)
    X - Thibah (1R, 1I)
    R - Tiamat (1R, 2I, Y)
    X - Vefut II (2R, 0I, R)

Special Effects
    Productivity Spike - For the period of Round 5, the production capacity of the Druaa Space Dock is increased by 1.

Order of Play
    The Naalu Collective: (0) Trade II
    The L1z1x Mindnet: (1) Leadership
    Universities of Jol-Nar: (2) Diplomacy
    The Embers of Muaat: (3) Assembly
    The Ghosts of Creuss: (4) Production Current Turn
    The Yin Brotherhood: (6) Warfare II

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Creuss

Assemble the FLEET!
    Activate Mecatol Rex-Move in 4 cruisers and 1 destroyer from Lodor and both destroyers from wellon
    Exhaust Lodor(3) and wellon(1) to build a space dock.

TG/AC/PC:7/4/1
    SA/FS/CP:2/9/3

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I was afraid of that. This is probably going to fail and doom me but I pretty much have to. I'm massively outclassed long term by everyone else so it's do or die now.

Yin

Activate Mecatol Rex. Move in all ships from Rarron system. Carry 4 mechanized units on one carrier.

TG/AC/PC:1/3/1
    SA/FS/CP:3/7/1

MrBody on
  • Options
    While your efforts are courageous there is probably an easier way to get 1VP with that fleet than going up against mine-even if you do well, you have pretty bad odds at seeing those mechanized units hitting the ground.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Ooooooh it's a combination of things other than 1 VP. I totally screwed up this turn forgetting you had the production card and could get newly created units to there this turn.

Whatever happened to you abandoning Mecatol after claiming the 1 VP? ALL THIS FIGHTING COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I plan to burn your fleets to the ground for talking everyone out of me not getting my hands on those warsuns to be fair.

Would have just built the 1 warsun in Lodor and been unable to bring a large enough force to Mecatol that I would have considered holding it.

SeGaTai on
    PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Whoah.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    I plan to burn your fleets to the ground for talking everyone out of me not getting my hands on those warsuns to be fair.

Would have just built the 1 warsun in Lodor and been unable to bring a large enough force to Mecatol that I would have considered holding it.

"If only you had just let me have Poland!"
    -Hitler

MrBody on
  • Options
    If anyone has any action cards that could affect this battle I invite them to use them against the ghosts! Help it be more even so we grind each other into dust more!

Who would you rather try and take Mecatol away from later? The guy with the biggest fleet supply and highest production, or the low production scrub with the weakest race in the game!

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Atta-boy, Yin! Get in there and fight the Ghosts in the shade cast by their invincible armada!

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    MrBody wrote: »

-Hitler

-Hitler

hey the muaat are the ones with the space furnaces.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Atta-boy, Yin! Get in there and fight the Ghosts in the shade cast by their invincible armada!

SOMEONE has to clean up your failures!

oooooooo!

In all seriousness though Yin is only going to fall farther behind the longer the game goes on. They're a rush race that has to grab Mecatol asap and I didn't move fast enough with them. Between their lack of any useful racial stuff and abysmal trade treaties they're just going to get left in the dust.

MrBody on
  • Options
    Their kamikaze racial makes then good at picking off smaller fleets, more if you grab the racial tech

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Their kamikaze racial makes then good at picking off smaller fleets, more if you grab the racial tech

??? Neither racial tech applies to kamikaze.

• Options

SOMEONE has to clean up your failures!

oooooooo!
    Ouch.

Currently Playing:
  • Options

??? Neither racial tech applies to kamikaze.

I keep thinking fanaticism applies to their other power, yea your screwed and should just give up now. Mech units are kinda weird in that they are too useful. There are a lot of powers/abilities that offset the ground force balance significantly that mech units just negate completely.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Round 5 - Battle at Mecatol Rex

Before combat, Creuss plays Action Card "Communications Breakdown" from his hand:

Communications Breakdown
    No players may play Action Cards until the end of the battle (except the Sabotage Action Card).
    Play: Immediately before a Space Battle in which you are participating.

Seems important enough to get a Sabotage check all around before proceeding with battle. Though due to travel plans, it may take a while before I get to battle resolution.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    Naalu no sabotage

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    no sabotage

• Options
    I would really appreciate a sabotage on this one, but cannot do so myself.

no sabotage

• Options
    edited November 2012
    I keep thinking fanaticism applies to their other power, yea your screwed and should just give up now. Mech units are kinda weird in that they are too useful. There are a lot of powers/abilities that offset the ground force balance significantly that mech units just negate completely.

I started a thread on BGG asking about this very thing!

The gap between the two is rather large, practically the difference between cruisers and war suns.

I can see why they decided to try introducing a new ground unit to try and break up planet turtling via allowing invading carriers to carry a stronger invasion force, but any boost they provide attackers applies equally to defenders. The whole "nothing that affects ground forces applies to mech units" aspect is what really throws everything off. Bombardment, bacterial weapons, and special cards/abilities were in place to deal with ground forces but the only thing that counter mech units is more mech units. Then some races rely heavily on a ground force advantage that mech units render obsolete, and they didn't offer any sort of updates to older abilities to adjust to mechs.

Take our public objective about invading a planet with at least one ground force. You would think "at least one ground force present" means as long as there were any ground units on the planet, but according to the rules and FAQ conquering a planet with nothing but mechs units wouldn't count, despite them being much harder to defeat!

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Hey wait, the rules for strategic retreat says the defender can withdraw!

Hear that, Sega? This is a golden opportunity!

MrBody on
  • Options
    No sabotage

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Retreating only costs ONE cc, Sega! You can't afford not to do it at those prices!

• Options
    unfortunately I would lose the newly purchased space dock-just wouldn't be good business.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    Think of the insurance write offs!

• Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    The guy who's brave enough to turn and walk away from the throne is the only one I want sitting on it.

• Options
    No one wants an ORPHAN BEATER ruling them either.

• Options

Creuss' action card passes, preventing the use of other cards during the remainder of battle.

Yin has 2 Cruisers, 3 Destroyers, 2 Carriers, and the High Alert Token.
    Creuss has 4 Cruisers, 4 Destroyers, and 1 Carrier.

Round 1: Yin Cruisers 2#1d10+1 = {4 < 7, 10 > 7}, Destroyers 3#1d10+2 = {7, 8 < 9; 12 > 9}, Carriers 2#1d10+1 = {4 < 9; 11 > 9}, 3 hits. Creuss, how will you assign the hits?
    Creuss Cruisers 4#1d10+1 = {3 < 7; 9, 11, 8 > 7}, Destroyers 4#1d10+1 = {7, 7, 7, 4 < 9}, Carrier 1d10 = {9 = 9}, 4 hits. Yin, how will you assign the hits?

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Lose 3 destroyers

You can retreat now and save those tasty mech units. mmmm mech units.

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I actually can't retreat! Strategic retreat only applies to the defender while normal retreat only works with adjacent activated systems (that's correct, right?)

Lose the empty carrier and 3 destroyers.

So I'm losing more while I have less ships than you. Yup yup this math is looking good.

MrBody on
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    At first I thought the attacker could also declare a Tactical Retreat, but reading the rules as written, I guess they can't. I learn something new every time this game is played, how about that.

Yin removes 3 Destroyers and 1 (non-loaded) Carrier, leaving 2 Cruisers and 1 Carrier (with High Alert Token).
    Creuss removes 3 Destroyers, leaving 4 Cruisers, 1 Destroyer, and 1 Carrier.

Round 2: Yin Cruisers 2#1d10+2 = {4, 4 < 7}, Carrier 1d10+1 = {8 < 9}, no hits.
    Creuss Cruisers 4#1d10+1 = {2, 5, 5 < 7; 11 > 9}, Destroyer 1d10+1 = {5 < 9}, Carrier 1d10 = {3 < 9}, 1 hit. Yin, what unit will take the hit?

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Man, looks like your gunners are all graduates of the Spaceballs Academy of Stellar Warfare.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    The order from now on will be cruisers->final carrier

And no kamikaze. The best I could do is trade a cruiser for a cruiser and that's kind of pointless since mine are better at hitting.

MrBody on
  • Options

Yin elects to destroy a cruiser.

Round 3: Yin Cruiser 1d10+2 = {7 = 7}, Carrier 1d10+1 = {7 < 9}, 1 hit. Creuss elects to destroy a Destroyer.
    Creuss Cruisers 4#1d10+1 = {4, 3 < 7; 8, 11 > 7}, Destroyer 1d10+1 = {6 < 9}, Carrier 1d10 = {10 > 9}, 3 hits. Yin destroys his Cruiser and Carrier.

Combat has resolved in favor of Creuss. Since I don't think there's anything else Yin can do in the activated system, the turn will move to Naalu.

4463rwiq7r47.png