As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 60GB for $350 if you open Sony CC

greeblegreeble Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
http://www.xpbargains.com/index.php/send_deal/73068

If you a buy a ps3 on Sony Style you'll get $150 credit if you use a new Sony Card. $350 for a ps3... I seriously think I'm going to order one.

PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
greeble on

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That is actually pretty hot, I am tempted, and I dont even have a HDTV at the moment...hmm

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That's a great deal. Makes me kinda wish I hadn't already picked one up...

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dopplexdopplex Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ooh... Very tempting.

Downside is that you still need that $500 outlay, I think.

Or does it work that you charge the $500 on the Sony credit card, and then get a $150 credit applied to that amount?

May be worth it to get a good deal on a PS3 with the emotion engine while they still exist.

dopplex on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    dopplex wrote: »
    Ooh... Very tempting.

Or does it work that you charge the $500 on the Sony credit card, and then get a $150 credit applied to that amount?

May be worth it to get a good deal on a PS3 with the emotion engine while they still exist.

Once we get this cleared up, I may be purchasing a PS3 this month.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ooh... Very tempting.

Most of these deals require you to open a new card. The price of the item is charged to the new card and sometime between the date of purchase and the first billing cycle the $150 will be deducted.

Regardless, the amount they charge you at the time of purchase shouldn't matter because in the end you'll only end up paying $350+tax+shipping. Unless, of course, you live near a Sony store. In that case, no shipping.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    From the fine print:
    Card credit will be applied to your Sony Card account 8-12 weeks after your first purchase of $299 or more ("Qualifying Purchase") at SonyStyle.com or Sony Style Stores. Offer expires August 31, 2007. First purchase must be made by November 30, 2007.

Basically, you get the card, buy the item at full price, and the credit is eventually added to your account. I'd just buy the item and make minimum payments for a month or two until the credit shows up then pay the damn thing off...

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Edit: sniped by Tw4win

greeble on

I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Tw4win wrote: »
    Ooh... Very tempting.

Most of these deals require you to open a new card. The price of the item is charged to the new card and sometime between the date of purchase and the first billing cycle the $150 will be deducted.

Regardless, the amount they charge you at the time of purchase shouldn't matter because in the end you'll only end up paying $350+tax+shipping. Unless, of course, you live near a Sony store. In that case, no shipping.

I think I'm taking a trip to the Sony store on Madison Avenue this afternoon...

dopplex on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    E-mailing the wife now.

>.>
    <.<

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

It's a trap. Get an axe.

Slagmire on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So. Uh. What's the downside to having a sony credit card?

Because otherwise, man, Sony really wants to move some units.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Basically, they're expecting people to get the card, get the $150 credit, and then keep buying stuff with the card. Cut the card up as soon as you get it, and cancel it when you're done paying off the PS3, and you're golden.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Can't check from work, is this a mastercard/visa/amex or just a generic sony charge card?

I may finally have to bite for this... was gonna drop 200 on a HD-DVD player but if I can get a Blu-Ray player for $350 that one day in the far future may have a game I want to play, I'm seriously tempted.

solsovly on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Basically, they're expecting people to get the card, get the $150 credit, and then keep buying stuff with the card. Cut the card up as soon as you get it, and cancel it when you're done paying off the PS3, and you're golden.

I think it's Sony's ploy to get the younger crowd to go buck-wild on their CCs and work up a ton of debt. It's not an uncommon practice.

Slagmire on
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Just so it's clear, opening a credit card and closing it does have adverse effects on your credit rating.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Slagmire wrote: »

I think it's Sony's ploy to get the younger crowd to go buck-wild on their CCs and work up a ton of debt. It's not an uncommon practice.

The great thing is that those sorts of ploys tend to be incredible deals for those of us who can confine our purchase to the single item we want the deal on

dopplex on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

The great thing is that those sorts of ploys tend to be incredible deals for those of us who can confine our purchase to the single item we want the deal on

Just hope your credit rating's high enough to survive that ding.

Slagmire on
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    From the fine print:
    Card credit will be applied to your Sony Card account 8-12 weeks after your first purchase of $299 or more ("Qualifying Purchase") at SonyStyle.com or Sony Style Stores. Offer expires August 31, 2007. First purchase must be made by November 30, 2007.

Basically, you get the card, buy the item at full price, and the credit is eventually added to your account. I'd just buy the item and make minimum payments for a month or two until the credit shows up then pay the damn thing off...

I wouldn't recommend that because you'd wind up paying a couple months of finance charges, which will eat into your $150 savings.

I'd pay it all off when the bill comes. When the $150 credit is applied you can just call and they'll send you a check for your negative balance or you can use that CC for everyday purchases like gas until your balance is back at 0.

Actually, looking at it, assuming a 20% APR on the card, finance charges for two months on a $500 balance would be ~$17. So its not THAT big a deal, but it isn't the best deal you could get out of this offer. Depends on if you can shell out the $500 until the credit is applied

EDIT: And like everyone's said applications for credit do have a negative effect on your credit record. Having just gotten mine from myfico.com, I can tell you that they say that one or two credit applications a year is acceptable. More than that can hamper your ability to get loans, etc.

DesertBox on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Wow, just got the ok from the wife, and there is a sony store in a mall the next town over....
    Gonna sleep on this but looks like I'll be picking one up tomorrow.

greeble on

• Options
    edited August 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »
    From the fine print:

I wouldn't recommend that because you'd wind up paying a couple months of finance charges, which will eat into your $150 savings.

I'd pay it all off when the bill comes. When the $150 credit is applied you can just call and they'll send you a check for your negative balance or you can use that CC for everyday purchases like gas until your balance is back at 0.

Actually, looking at it, assuming a 20% APR on the card, finance charges for two months on a $500 balance would be ~$17. So its not THAT big a deal, but it isn't the best deal you could get out of this offer. Depends on if you can shell out the $500 until the credit is applied

Well there is a 0% apr for 12 months.... probably need good credit. but still (My credit is pretty good last I checked)

greeble on

• Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    greeble wrote: »
    DesertBox wrote: »
    From the fine print:

Well there is a 0% apr for 12 months.... probably need good credit. but still (My credit is pretty good last I checked)

Ah, well then ... congrats on your new PS3 ?

OT, anyone know if EBstop is still running that promotion where you get $100 towards the purchase of a PS3 if you trade in a PS2, controller, and memory card?

DesertBox on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    musanman wrote: »
    Just so it's clear, opening a credit card and closing it does have adverse effects on your credit rating.

You're probably better off opening it, letting it carry a balance for a month or two, and then paying it off.

That being said, if you generally have good credit, opening a card, buying something, paying it off, and then closing the card isn't going to really harm you. You certainly aren't going to get turned down for a home loan for doing that...

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Just hope your credit rating's high enough to survive that ding.

It's no annual fee. I can just keep it open for a while and then cancel after a year or so. I don't have enough cards that it will really hit my credit rating much. (And my rating is pretty good, anyhow)

dopplex on
  • Options
    dmaurodmauro Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If I went into a Sony Style store today and bought a 60GB PS3, would it still have the PS2 hardware, or have they already replaced them with the software emulation?

edit: It will take up to 30 days for the application, but the item must be purchased before the end of the month. hmmm... oh well, I already applied, and maybe I will get the card in the mail in two weeks or something.

dmauro on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    dmauro wrote: »
    If I went into a Sony Style store today and bought a 60GB PS3, would it still have the PS2 hardware, or have they already replaced them with the software emulation?

edit: It will take up to 30 days for the application, but the item must be purchased before the end of the month. hmmm... oh well, I already applied, and maybe I will get the card in the mail in two weeks or something.

The 60 Gig PS3's in the US all have the full compliment of PS2 hardware, I believe. The 80 Gig model is the one missing the EE chip here.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If it's $500 then it has the PS2 hardware.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well that sucks. I just bought a 60giger about 2 weeks ago. :x

powersurge on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Well I bought a PS3. It cost me about $400 because of tax and shipping. ($15 basic shipping)

The suck part is that you can't buy the console from the web and pick it up at the store. And I think its only online that you can instantly apply and use the card. (I don't think you can do this in the store.)

I suppose you could apply for the card, wait till you get it then buy from the store but I didn't want to wait that long.

So yeah if you don't mind waiting for your hardware this is still a pretty good deal, but if you are the instant gratification type you better look elsewhere.

greeble on

• Options
    edited August 2007
    Just went to the Sony Style store in NYC.

One REALLY IMPORTANT thing to note - if you apply for the card in the store, you have to use their computer. DO NOT CLOSE THE WINDOW after getting accepted. If you do, they can't let you use it. Apparently, they need to print out that page. (Just having your account number and security code - while it will let you make a purchase online - isn't enough to let them do a B&M purchase) I fear I gave the manager a bit of a hard time about this - but mostly because he'd told me to use to computer to apply, but hadn't mentioned that I shouldn't close the window when done. Given that I didn't want my financial information clearly displayed on a computer in a pretty public space, I had thought it a good idea to copy the info and leave.

So I'm probably waiting for the card to arrive, then I'll get it.

Some other notes: You just need to apply for the card before August 30th. You have until Nov 30th to make the charge to get the $150.

I think you still get 5 free bluray movies. So the deal is actually $350 + tax/shipping for a 60GB PS3 AND 5 movies (crappy though they may be)

Not sure if I want to wait for the card to arrive or just order the thing online and not need to deal with the B&M red tape.

To be honest, the difference between instant gratification and waiting is only $15. That hardly kills the deal. It's the tax that's the killer - but I get that from the B&M too.

EDIT: Just pulled the trigger. Not going to wait on ordering for $15. The funny thing is that I'm not sure there's a single PS3 game I really want that's out now - but a $400 (tax included) Bluray player with the ability to play MGS4 is worth it. As long as you copy your account number AND your security code from the approval window, you have enough to complete the purchase.

dopplex on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    huh.
    Tempting.
    Oh man...very tempting, actually.

btw, from looking at the link, to get the $150 you need to spend $299+ on the card. It doesn't say you HAVE to buy a PS3.

Yep, so this would work with games, PSP, anything they have in the store.

Accualt on
  • Options
    SilasSilas Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I closed the window. I did the copy > paste on the info, but apparently that's not good enough. So, I've got to wait for the card to come in the mail. Sucks.

If you're going the online route, don't close any windows until you're completely finished with your order!

Silas on
    Ancient+J.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Everyone remember to get their 5 free bluray movies when they do this deal too!

http://www.sonystyle.com/wcsstore/SonyStyleStorefrontAssetStore/pdf/bd-offer.pdf

(I wish I had a clue if any of those other than Corpse Bride and Blazing Saddles were any good...)

dopplex on
  • Options
    HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh man! $400 is the exact amount I would pay for a PS3. OH MAN! Just need to convince the wife now.
    oh man

Halibut on
  • Options
    StormyWatersStormyWaters Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This reminds me of the $200 off the 360 deal that Microcenter ran. I never got a dime :/

StormyWaters on
  • Options
    CriptCript Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Everyone remember to get their 5 free bluray movies when they do this deal too!

http://www.sonystyle.com/wcsstore/SonyStyleStorefrontAssetStore/pdf/bd-offer.pdf

(I wish I had a clue if any of those other than Corpse Bride and Blazing Saddles were any good...)

I thought Babel was an alright movie. Had one of those "multiple stories that are completely different yet somehow are connected to eachother" types of deals.

Cript on
    Dirty+RNA.png
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So wait.
    You have to pay $650 for a PS3 to get it for $350?

That's...
    not as good a deal as it sounds.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This... is actually kind of tempting. I'm sort of wary about signing up for a card, though... is this basically a store credit type of thing? A "Put your money in this bucket." deal? Or is it an actual credit card? Because I don't really want to do anything but buy the machine and leave. I don't need to spend months paying it off.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    So wait.
    You have to pay $650 for a PS3 to get it for $350?

That's...
    not as good a deal as it sounds.

A PS3 is $500 in the USA right now.

I wonder how this all applies to Canada. Probably doesn't.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    mr_ekimmr_ekim Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This... is actually kind of tempting. I'm sort of wary about signing up for a card, though... is this basically a store credit type of thing? A "Put your money in this bucket." deal? Or is it an actual credit card? Because I don't really want to do anything but buy the machine and leave. I don't need to spend months paying it off.

It's a branded Visa card, which you need to charge to in order to get the credit. Just put it on the card and pay it in full within the 0% interest period.

mr_ekim on
    steam_sig.pngmrekim.phpmrekim.php
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shit, this is perfect. I guess it's time to buy.

Pb on