As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Auto[chat]

AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
29p54xu.png

Thanks to 21st century who made me aware that I should make a chat.

ftOqU21.png

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    Okay, I wanted to express disappointment that this isn't about Autobots, but frankly this is a damn fine effort[chat].

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    When a thread gets closed it goes all nuts due to vanilla so I just close the window and do something else until a new chat pops up, usually

ftOqU21.png
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I'm thinking that my current hobbyist games project is too big in scope to do while also learning directx11. So going to do a small game first while I get used to (or re-used to, I did some dx3 and dx5 a long while back) non XNA game coding.

Need something that would have worked on an Atari 2600 or therabouts. And I've coded Breakout too many times already.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    Instead of making Elder Scrolls Online, they should be making a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game where you and a small handful of friends can adventure in the ES setting on a private server and also it shouldn't be a WoW clone.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Instead of making Elder Scrolls Online, they should be making a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game where you and a small handful of friends can adventure in the ES setting on a private server and also it shouldn't be a WoW clone.

I think this is the general consensus, yes

• InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    I'm thinking that my current hobbyist games project is too big in scope to do while also learning directx11. So going to do a small game first while I get used to (or re-used to, I did some dx3 and dx5 a long while back) non XNA game coding.

Need something that would have worked on an Atari 2600 or therabouts. And I've coded Breakout too many times already.

Daniel the Dot explores the Mysteriously Monochrome Monastery.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

Troof

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

as far as I know the ES Online people are not the devs who are worked on (and continue to work on) Skyrim or any hypothetical sequels.

So I really do not care about it in the slightest. It is something I would never buy and it is not sucking talent or resources away from the real ES team.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    Cass- the biggest, most important thing you can do is swallow down your anxiety and move the relationship with your professor from a friendly one to a professional one

You can still keep the friendly relationship, but now is definitely the time to act. At the very least put ideas in the guy's head that you are a competent student/author (I feel you have done this already) and then let him know that you want to follow in his footsteps so to speak

as far as I know the ES Online people are not the devs who are worked on (and continue to work on) Skyrim or any hypothetical sequels.

So I really do not care about it in the slightest. It is something I would never buy and it is not sucking talent or resources away from the real ES team.

That's the closest thing to good news about the damn game.

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    When will Obsidian make Elder Scrolls: New Vegas?

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    I don't know if this has been posted here yet, the Humble THQ Bundle

http://www.humblebundle.com/?thqbundle

Saints Row 3 is the only one I've played, but that alone is easily worth the asking price.

I don't know if my body could take something as incredible as an Obsidian-developed Elder Scrolls game.

elder scrolls online sounded like a fantastic idea when the rumors first surfaced

but then... jesus, these people are idiots.

elder scrolls

but online

that was what you should have made

instead they're making a Generica Online thing which is not going to do well because nothing that does wow's thing ever does

ftOqU21.png
    Arch wrote: »
    Cass- the biggest, most important thing you can do is swallow down your anxiety and move the relationship with your professor from a friendly one to a professional one

You can still keep the friendly relationship, but now is definitely the time to act. At the very least put ideas in the guy's head that you are a competent student/author (I feel you have done this already) and then let him know that you want to follow in his footsteps so to speak

reading beetween the lines, I'm disgusted by you, Arch!

ftOqU21.png
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    I need to find more ways to incorporate the phrase "possibly ex-KGB" into conversations.

Abdhyius wrote: »

reading beetween the lines, I'm disgusted by you, Arch!

damnit I was hoping I was being more subtle

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    My Santa done good. :^:

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Just fucking make the whole thing like a PvP thing. Have many guild halls ran by players and fight for land, etc. The only reason you band together and kill raid bosses is for better armor and weapons to attack and defend against attacks by other guilds.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
    I mean, Elder Scrolls online VISUALLY looks cool, and has an interesting story and plot

But

I mean

I just want to play Skyrim, but with more people at the same time

If skills and combat do not work like they do in Skyrim then I don't care really because its just Fantasy MMO 2038358 and I already have guild wars 2, LoTRO, WoW if I want it, Rift, Tera....

Elder Scrolls Online endgame is slated to be a PvP fuckfest, but I don't really see how that would make it a better Elder Scrolls game.

Arch, do you still play LoTRO? My LotR hype has me considering giving it another download.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    elder scrolls online sounded like a fantastic idea when the rumors first surfaced

elder scrolls

but online

instead they're making a Generica Online thing which is not going to do well because nothing that does wow's thing ever does

Kind of have to disagree here.

Turbine, with LOTRO and D&D Online are doing the WoW thing more or less, and they are running a profitable enterprise. LOTRO is on its 4th major expansion, with lots of new content coming out all the time.

they just don't have over ten million subscribers.

The only thing WoW did that was truly detrimental to the industry was shape expectations on what was a successful MMO. A successful game should be one where the player base pays for the cost of upkeep, hardware, software and staffing for the MMO through monthly fees, boxed expansions and in-game purchases, with some breathing room for the company to be profitable and fund future development. NOT "This game has less than 2 million players DOOMED!" - That mentality is why Star Wars felt they could spent hundreds of millions on developing an MMO, because a good MMO should be able to maintain 10 million subs... which is completely idiotic.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    Apparently ElderScrolls online will have similar combat, at least for melee guys?

Left click= attack, hold for power
    Right click= shield

maybe it won't suck super bad?

oooh now I want to make something like that SOTAR

except the reason to kill raid bosses wouldn't be to get good armor and weapons but to keep Gigantica, the queen of giants, from fucking up your place

ftOqU21.png
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    ugh

I need to return this call I got on Monday about a job (no details except her name, number, and CareerBuilder)

but I'm too anxious

Like I wouldn't want ANY "kill this guy, get a token for badass armor". No, you take the raw drops to your smith, who is another player. He makes some badass armor for your guild, then you take it to your enchanter, and he makes it more badass.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    WoW is no longer the behemoth it once was. GW2 looks to be a vastly superior game.

That said, I'd be more enthusiastic about the idea of MMOrrowind if one of the defining features of Bethesda games wasn't "trivial to break balance"

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    I don't know if this has been posted here yet, the Humble THQ Bundle

http://www.humblebundle.com/?thqbundle

Saints Row 3 is the only one I've played, but that alone is easily worth the asking price.

I just posted about the Ars article on it above.

In short, Kyle's a goose who needs a slap from Ben, I'm glad they ditched the EFF and hope that sticks, and whiners need to stop whining.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    oooh now I want to make something like that SOTAR

except the reason to kill raid bosses wouldn't be to get good armor and weapons but to keep Gigantica, the queen of giants, from fucking up your place

This would also be acceptable.

SOTAR, I'm not sure because I didn't play it, but it sounds like you're describing Darkfall.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    ugh

I need to return this call I got on Monday about a job (no details except her name, number, and CareerBuilder)

but I'm too anxious

If you don't call: You know you won't get the job.

If you do call: You might get the job.

nibXTE7.png
  • cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I just wish everyone playing MMOs now could have experienced the sillyness that was the EQ original quest giver system. The quest giver would have a highlighted word in the text that they would say when you greeted them. Then you would have to type a question in say about that subject. So:
    Quest Giver: Hello Sir Ruggedwang, we're having problems with the kobolds.
    Sir Ruggedwang: (types) What's wrong with the kobolds?
    Quest Giver: (gives the rest of the quest)

That's how they wanted it to work. But what it turned into is people realizing that it was just query words + subject that triggered the quest so it just turned into a ton of people spamming "What kobolds, Who kobolds, Where kobolds, When kobolds". Pretty hilarious stuff when there were a ton of people around.

cptrugged on
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Apparently ElderScrolls online will have similar combat, at least for melee guys?

Right click= shield

I feel like hit detection would be a nightmare, but that's because I played games like Hellgate: London

Psn:wazukki
    syndalis wrote: »

elder scrolls

but online

Kind of have to disagree here.

Turbine, with LOTRO and D&D Online are doing the WoW thing more or less, and they are running a profitable enterprise. LOTRO is on its 4th major expansion, with lots of new content coming out all the time.

they just don't have over ten million subscribers.

The only thing WoW did that was truly detrimental to the industry was shape expectations on what was a successful MMO. A successful game should be one where the player base pays for the cost of upkeep, hardware, software and staffing for the MMO through monthly fees, boxed expansions and in-game purchases, with some breathing room for the company to be profitable and fund future development. NOT "This game has less than 2 million players DOOMED!" - That mentality is why Star Wars felt they could spent hundreds of millions on developing an MMO, because a good MMO should be able to maintain 10 million subs... which is completely idiotic.

well, it's like... they're not even trying. They're just going for the super-safe uninteresting route.

and yeah, by "well" I meant like, WoW or Skyrim or other big franchises "well". Because, well, the ender scrolls is big and this is bleh.

ftOqU21.png
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Hooray, my new phone has arrived at my house

My landlady subdued the fedex guy before he could cough twice and slap the SORRY WE MISSED YOU sticker on the door

Right click= shield

is it first person?

ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.