As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G&T Secret Santa 2012: He'll be back again some day.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    @belligerent:
    I can't seem to post it right now (at work and the pictures are on facebook), but the day we painted those, my daughter also painted one like Strawberry Shortcake. The results are both terrifying and adorable, and I shall post them for the enjoyment of all.

Also, do you have Hogfather? Or Reaper Man?
    I wanted to get you my favorite book of his(Small Gods), but there isn't much of a selection around and want to send it today-ish.
    The only copy I have laying around is a signed copy, but I'm not parting with it (so nyah!). It was a super awesome present last year from a friend while I was deployed.
    Edit: I have tried adjusting that last sentence a couple of times to sound like I'm not being a jerk.
    Please don't think I'm a jerk.
    please?

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    Would that Pratchett book make an amazing coffee table book? Because it looks like it would. And I own most of the Discworld series. -drool-

Also, I finished Torchlight 2 last night... way too late. Thanks @Elin! That was tons of fun. Darksiders is next!

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    @belligerent
    Here is the picture I mentioned:
    tsPA1.jpg
    I can't seem to pull up the back picture, but on the back my daughter even got a slightly different shade of red and made curls in the hair which you can't see on this picture. I'm sure it's nothing much, but as it was her first attempt at really painting I'm super proud.

Radiation on
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    @radiation
    I have small gods already, so don't worry about it too much. I do not have either of the ones you've mentioned, though.

I love her... interpretation of the shortcake. I'll make sure my wife sees this, too.

Really, what I recieved was enough. My wife laughed, because at least this time I didn't get a replica lightsaber (long story short, this is my 3rd year and the last two, two different santas both got me desktop lightsabers). Every time I ask what I'm getting for xmas, the wife says a lightsaber.

I love the PA secret santa because you get to interact with such interesting people. Thanks all!

P.S. Santee, your stuff is still coming. We may have a timing issue, but that will resolve itself soon.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I thought I had always heard that Lewis and Tolkien were friends.

Otherwise, I have no idea on the riddle, but I am terrible at such things.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    @radiation that was adorable! Needed something to cheer me up, thanks.

• Options
    Big Isy wrote: »
    @radiation that was adorable! Needed something to cheer me up, thanks.

Glad to help! :D

@belligerent I saw that, and was thinking about getting you another lightsaber.
    Actually, I haven't yet sent it out. Mwahahahahaha!

And it's currently snowing! We need to close so I can go home!

• Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    The hits keep on coming, apparently!

DR9US.gif

header.jpg

My backlog can't take it! I'm drowning in gaaaaaaammmmmeeeessssss

Thanks @TheRoadVirus!

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    The hits keep on coming, apparently!

DR9US.gif

header.jpg

My backlog can't take it! I'm drowning in gaaaaaaammmmmeeeessssss

Thanks @TheRoadVirus!

That's the last one! I swear! I saw it and thought it had a fun name so, yeah. DEAL WITH IT.
    (Also I have bought a copy for myself and it's good people)

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Stealth Bastard is an amazing title

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    It also supports my xbox controller, which makes it a convenient bastard too.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Dear Santa, I believe my GF wants to get me PS+ and a bigger memory card (I guess size does matter) for my Vita. Hopefully this doesn't spoil your plans.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I thought I had always heard that Lewis and Tolkien were friends.

They were for a long time, but had a falling out over religion, partly because of of Lewis converting to Anglicanism, rather than joining the Catholic church. Tolkien also very publicly slammed Lewis' Narnia books. I guess "contentious friends" is probably a good description for them.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    My Santa gave me a riddle for the fifth day of Christmas.
    This caused a fight in another time
    Between, author and author, and a report
    Clue's contained within this note
    Will point you to your gift
    Of five by five

After I pondered it a good deal of the day, Santa suggested I post it here for hints.

Current thoughts:
    Five by five sounded like a magic square, but the syllables from each line don't add up to 65.
    A CD jewel case is roughly 5 by 5.
    "A fight in another time" between (bounded by?) two authors and a report sounds like a strategy game. (Starts with two warring parties, ends with a battle report). It also sounds like some assignments I had in college.
    But the item in question caused the fight to start with.

I'm not sure.

Maybe I'm thinking a bit too close to e-home, but could author and author be Gabe and Tycho?

Or maybe Gabe & Tycho vs. another webcomic author.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Wow, I get distracted by a loooong weekend, and this thread gets awesome. Wii U gift? Robot Santa going crazy? Fantastic!

Meanwhile, I discovered that even if you turn off fleet pursuit on FTL, it's still VERY easy to die. Yikes.

Though my Santee's gift is assembled! I may have gone a little crazy with the... packing material. It's very special packing material. The main gift is protected as all fuck with... very cheery and enjoyable packing material. Now to get a box to hold it all.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    AaronKI wrote: »
    My Santa gave me a riddle for the fifth day of Christmas.
    This caused a fight in another time
    Between, author and author, and a report
    Clue's contained within this note
    Will point you to your gift
    Of five by five

After I pondered it a good deal of the day, Santa suggested I post it here for hints.

Current thoughts:
    Five by five sounded like a magic square, but the syllables from each line don't add up to 65.
    A CD jewel case is roughly 5 by 5.
    "A fight in another time" between (bounded by?) two authors and a report sounds like a strategy game. (Starts with two warring parties, ends with a battle report). It also sounds like some assignments I had in college.
    But the item in question caused the fight to start with.

I'm not sure.

Maybe I'm thinking a bit too close to e-home, but could author and author be Gabe and Tycho?

Or maybe Gabe & Tycho vs. another webcomic author.

Maybe it's something to do with the Sorcelator vs Elemenstor Saga storyline (which consists of five comics!)..the two authors being Tycho and L.H. Franzibald.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    5 by 5 is a term used to describe radio signal quality (essentially meaning "loud and clear"). Also, the name of a nerd podcast network.

Hmm. That's an extremely promising hint. There's a comic "Signal to Noise" by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean, but as far as I found, they aren't feuding with each other or anyone else. There's also a cyberpunk novel of the same title by Eric Nylund, but a quick google didn't turn up anything interesting there.

There's a ton of literature with variations on that theme. I'll poke at things more after work this evening.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    5 by 5 is a term used to describe radio signal quality (essentially meaning "loud and clear"). Also, the name of a nerd podcast network.

Hmm. That's an extremely promising hint. There's a comic "Signal to Noise" by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean, but as far as I found, they aren't feuding with each other or anyone else. There's also a cyberpunk novel of the same title by Eric Nylund, but a quick google didn't turn up anything interesting there.

There's a ton of literature with variations on that theme. I'll poke at things more after work this evening.

Wasn't that also a quote in Aliens? When they are descending to the surface? I could be misremembering.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I just received a package from Canada.

If I don't post again today, then the canucks have gotten me.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    SANTEE PICK UP YOUR PRESENT AND FEEL THE CHRISTMAS FLOW THROUGH YOU!

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So uh, should I be expecting a thing soon, Santa? I'm no longer sure if I'll be here at my home much around the holidays. Anything you send might just have to wait around for a bit till I get back and do a proper Gift Get thing.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Watch out man, I hear they have blue money and other weird stuff. D:

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    KiasKias Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Wow, I get distracted by a loooong weekend, and this thread gets awesome. Wii U gift? Robot Santa going crazy? Fantastic!

Meanwhile, I discovered that even if you turn off fleet pursuit on FTL, it's still VERY easy to die. Yikes.

Though my Santee's gift is assembled! I may have gone a little crazy with the... packing material. It's very special packing material. The main gift is protected as all fuck with... very cheery and enjoyable packing material. Now to get a box to hold it all.
    Hahah, was wondering where you had gone. Sort of thought the slow madness of FTL and other challenges left you in a state of holiday dementia. Good to see you are still functioning... for now.

Got a bit behind on the thread, but there is some excellent Santa'ing going on here. I swear this thread is the highlight of my Christmas. Is that bad? I don't think so.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Everyone, go check your porches. I think someone had something delivered. <:-)

BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Fedex came to the door and I missed them. They left a slip. Is it something I ordered? Something my family ordered? Or is it from Santa? The suspense!

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    thejaxxthejaxx Expo Zone Leader Tukwila, WaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I got notice through My UPS that a package was rescheduled on delivery. From tomorrow to today! Sometimes UPS lies though. So i'm just going to wait.

Strange thing is, its not for the North Pole. Its from Florida! And I'm not expecting anything from there. Is Santa vacationing and hitting on all them drunken college girls?

thejaxx on
  • Options
    thejaxx wrote: »
    I got notice through My UPS that a package was rescheduled on delivery. From tomorrow to today! Sometimes UPS lies though. So i'm just going to wait.

Strange thing is, its not for the North Pole. Its from Florida! And I'm not expecting anything from there. Is Santa vacationing and hitting on all them drunken college girls?

Someone's getting an alligator for Christmas. :D

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Y2JSF.gif

My roommate calls me saying that I have a package "folded up in the mailbox." Questionable quality of our postal services aside, everything looks okay. The package is sent under the shitty Christmas tree that I decorate with M&M ornaments I got from those tubes as a kid.
    GzNK9.png

Archimedes will be assisting me this year. Captain Olimar is apparently busy with some new project on the Wii U. Anyways, I go to the first...Archimedes, no! It's filthy in there! Eugh.
    j4IYK.png

There is a letter here, boldly stated the Canadian nature of this package, and signed with the grinning visage of my Twitter tormentor. The letter subtle in its threatening tone, implying that one day I will dare consider setting foot in that frozen Kraft Dinner hellhole. Also: I know my Canadian politics. My Santa talks REAL big for a country with Harper as Prime Minister. Did you know that Canada still has a Queen? Progressive country INDEED.
    fiVHk.png

First gift is...a book on to how to be Canadian? I am almost positive that reading this book is an act of high treason. Mental note: Canada is desperate for new citizens.
    MWtFz.png

Second gift is an undoubtedly shitty cop movie. Only Canadian, which makes it even worse. Fun fact: my paternal grandfather was French-Canadian, a stain on my heritage that haunts me to this day.
    w2CZm.png

Third gift is rare Canadian junk food! Poisonous to those who eat and breath freedom, I will most likely have to sell this to some communist. Even Archimedes couldn't be arsed to properly pose for the camera.
    yj7de.jpg

Gift #4 is, unsurprisingly, maple syrup. Canadians just dive headfirst into their stereotypes, much like how a clown eagerly plunges his face into a pie for cheap attention. Also: no Canadian bacon in this package, so I will never enjoy a True Canadian Breakfast.
    faecf.jpg

The fifth gift is labeled as the first of two "non-Canadian" gifts, but anyone with vision can see the garish French emblazoned on the box. A mark of its shameful northern origins. Archimedes was excited by this gift, but he is too even-tempered to fit in with this bunch.
    Kzy7a.png

And the final gift is...
    nQcTi.png
    xmasw.png

So who is this "evil xmas elf" that would sully the name of American Elves everywhere? Does Proxy know about this? Are elves unionized? I bet Canadians elves are. Behold, the identity of my cackling Canadian caricature.
    o2jkb.png
    v1ja4.png
    @SwashbucklerXX, I should have known.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Aeros are pretty good! Not sure about the mint flavor, though.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Mint Aeros are the best, though I had assumed they were indigenous to the UK

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Arikado wrote: »
    Everyone, go check your porches. I think someone had something delivered. <:-)

Oh! It was me all along.

DR9US.gif

Again!
    GTSS1211.jpg

Malenko is prowling around the not one, but TWO more packages I have received from my santa.

GTSS1212.jpg

I open the big box first and MLB TEAM GNOME!

GTSS1213.jpg

Sweet. Pirates Gnome. There should be more pirate gnomes in things. I think that could work well.

GTSS1214.jpg

Aha! Mystery solved. My Santa is indeed the one and only Arikado. And I got a game in addition to everything else? Hot damn!

GTSS1215.jpg

Oh hell yes! This was definitely on the top of my list for games I wanted. I love Uematsu and the game looked like it was pretty darn good otherwise.

GTSS1216.jpg

Everything together. Quite a nice haul if I do say so myself.

GTSS1217.jpg

Oh no Evie wondered into the picture totally on her own and it didn't take me multiple attempts to get her to stay long enough to take a picture. Nope.

GTSS1218.jpg

Here is the gnome in its natural habitat, chilling with the other gnome that I didn't actually know was there until I went outside and looked.

GTSS1219.jpg

Sup cat.

Thank you once more @Arikado for the wonderful presents! They're all super awesome!

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    You finding out that you've already had a Gnome in your garden for who knows how long but never noticed before is the best thing.

Ninja gnomes.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    Game of Thrones on blu?

Damn your santa went all out!

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Yay, I'm glad you got it! Sorry I forgot to write "do not fold, spindle, or mutilate" on the outside of the package. :-p

Mint Aeros are awesome, @Maz- . Their fake minty goodness got me through night school one semester.
    Also, we don't talk about Harper. It'll be all good when Justin Trudeau arises to be our future glorious leader, ushering in a whole new era of TrudeauMediocrity! (Joke stolen from that Commie hotbed, the CBC.)

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    I'm going to Canada my Santee so hard.

• Options
    I haven't lurked the pit of misery known as the Industry Thread in months, but I got a good laugh out of the angry birds gummies. :P

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    You finding out that you've already had a Gnome in your garden for who knows how long but never noticed before is the best thing.

Ninja gnomes.

Gonna assume one of my brothers bought it at Goodwill. They're always buying crap from there since they started working there.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Merry Christmas to all!

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    Grove wrote: »

Wasn't that also a quote in Aliens? When they are descending to the surface? I could be misremembering.

"We're in the pipe, 5x5" - Cpl Ferro when descending to LV-426 in the dropship.

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • Options
    thejaxxthejaxx Expo Zone Leader Tukwila, WaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Interesting riddle.

thejaxx on