As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Incursion: d20 Roguelike

Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourseRegistered User regular
edited October 2009 in Games and Technology
Everybody likes roguelikes, and from the brief time I've spent fiddling with this one (mainly the quite in depth character generation) it looks pretty good. For those not in the know, d20 is the basic set of mechanics that Dungeons and Dragons is based on.

Like all of these things it is still in production, so new features are constantly popping up. It's a bit of an empty OP as I've only just found out about this and it is more fun to learn together as we play.

The official site has a good manual for figuring things out.

ss%20-%20class%20menu.gif

ss%20-%20motives.gif

Get it now and I'll clean this up once we figure things out and we can decorate things with our hilarious deaths.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
Mojo_Jojo on

• TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've never heard of this roguelike before, I shall definitely have to give it a try.

How did you come across it?

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The course of my daily rummaging. A friend heard about it somehow and knowing that I crave such games he pointed me toward it(I have a feeling he could have found it on the SA boards as they've got themselves a big ol' thread).

So far:
    This game is hard. Much harder than most roguelikes.

The control scheme is a bit baffling at first, and the general learning curve seems steep (again, even for this kind of game).

Very detailed though, the skill system is very well incorporated.

All in all, I think this could well replace ADOM for me.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • DivebommahDivebommah Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Just tried this. It is definitely difficult -- the first thing I encountered, a vampiric mist, kicked my ass. Wouldn't let me use my weapons because of close confines.

AWESOME. Definitely going to play more of it this weekend.

Divebommah on
    edited August 2007
    I'm definitely feeling that learning curve right now. It's been awhile since I've had this much trouble with roguelike commands. I'm wandering around the entrance cavern, trying to learn how to do all the basics.

It's taking some time.

If all those skills are well implemented, though, this game will be awesome.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Not all of them are implemented yet. Those that aren't do have a big label stating just that though. I think the diplomacy stuff is a little on the light side at the moment too.

In other news, I think I saw an option to make the monsters more relevant to their level. I may turn that on as I'm sick of Fiendish Kobolds turning up and raping me silly.

Also that first room always seems to have a useful menagerie of dimension door and healing potions, which is nice to know.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Definitely cool, although I wish it was open source, I'd love to see this expanded with stuff like, say, the PRC content packs from NWN/NWN2's communities.

I'm going to hop in and die as a monk a few times, wish me luck! :)

Edit: Um, the main menu mentions it derives "source material" from Moria, Angband, ADOM, Omega (!!!!!!!!!!!!!), Crawl... I wonder if they're using any code from those GPLed programs, or just lore/monsters/items/etc.

This totally makes me want to go play and abuse the hell out of Omega now.

KiTA on
    edited August 2007
    Hmm... Omega, yet another roguelike I've yet to play. Is there anything unique about it that I wouldn't have seen in ADOM, Nethack, Angband or Crawl?

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
    edited August 2007
    Awesome, I just got swallowed by something and my map changed to show me inside the monster. I wonder if really big monsters are dungeons in their own right.

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited August 2007
    Teriferin wrote: »
    Hmm... Omega, yet another roguelike I've yet to play. Is there anything unique about it that I wouldn't have seen in ADOM, Nethack, Angband or Crawl?

Not really. I do remember some fun stuff with Stormreaver and abusing the hell out of things. There's this one dungeon I kept entering and sneaking in and out of, it was a set dungeon, not random, and had a group of a huge number of ancient dragons hanging out in it. Well, you could, if you were lucky, steal some stuff and get out before they woke up. Do that enough times and you would be strong enough to kill them.

Granted, *I* never was, but that's not the point, is it? ;)

Incursion is great. I suck at it, but it's great. :)

KiTA on
    edited August 2007
    Although for some reason this runs really poorly on my desktop.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This is fun. The character creation almost takes too long for how short the games are though. D:

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I really dug what I played of this last night. I only did one game as a Paladin, but I lasted a good while, only to drown in a river on a botched jump.

Trevor Goodchild on
    edited August 2007
    Is there a limit to the number of ressurections you can do? My Drow Rogue vanished off the ressurection list after my 6th or 7th death today...

KiTA on
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've never really understood peoples desire to make Roguelikes even harder. Nethack has to be one of the hardest damn games of all time.

Still, Ill give this a try though.

Sceptre on
    edited August 2007
    Sceptre wrote: »
    I've never really understood peoples desire to make Roguelikes even harder. Nethack has to be one of the hardest damn games of all time.

Still, Ill give this a try though.

Nethack is hard in that stupid unpredictable way, and I frankly never enjoyed THAT.

Trevor Goodchild on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dying because I used a scroll of stone-to-flesh on that triggered boulder trap, ate it, and then got food-poisoning is one of the greatest stories of our time.

Greatest.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Honestly, one of the only reasons I play Rogue-Likes is to tell stories about it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Harder than IVAN? If so, save time and just kill yourself each game.

BlueDestiny on
    edited August 2007
    Kobold rogues are really working out form me. Catching enemies flat footed as a rogue is great.

If you go over to the somethingawful thread, the dev has started posting there so you can get an insight into things (and he seems to answer questions). Sadly, he seems to be a fairly slow worker (at least compared to Toady of Dwarf Fortress fame).
    Sceptre wrote: »
    I've never liked Nethack, it just ever felt right to me. ADOM overtook it as the default roguelike so olong ago that I'm kind of surprised people still play it.

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited August 2007
    I've so far failed to make it past level 2, but I'm having fun anyway. My last death was a train wreck in slow motion. My dwarf priest entered some rooms that seemed to be community offices or something. In one of the rooms, I encountered a skeletal warrior and a kobold rogue. Shouldn't have been too much trouble.

They began by throwing a tanglefoot bag, and then pelting me with ranged attacks. I attempted to summon a monster with the last of my mana and, of course, failed. I managed to get myself out of the tanglefoot, and took cover in a neighbouring room until they'd gotten themselves good and stuck. Sitting ducks, thinks I.

I turned undead, destroying the skeletal warrior, and then proceeded to engage the kobold rogue. That's when things started to go south. First, a spider swarm caught me flat footed and poisoned me. The very next round, an orc rogue arrived and began pounding me with darts of numbness. I'm not sure what they did exactly, but I can't help but think they were unhelpful. I started gulping antitoxins and healing potions while attempting to disengage (Mistake, I should have been fleeing). Finally, just to make my situation even more helpless, a dark mantle dropped down on top of me. I went down a round or two after that.

I think I'm going to try a true neutral diplobard next. Lessee how many critters I can get on my side...

edit: And I have just realized that most bard abilities are currently unimplemented. Damn.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
    edited August 2007
    I've made level 3 with a Dwarf Warrior who specialized in getting the most out of his enchanted freebie shield. Made it down about four levels before I stumbled into some kind of uber zombie which regenerated faster than I could hurt it and disarmed me.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • GeoGeo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wild Talent: Detonate is the best thing ever. Locked door and failed to lockpick? Detonate. Found a trap and can't disarm? Detonate. Even corpses are valid targets for Detonating. It's also a really good early level way to destroy undead. Even missing with an arrow is good since you can detonate it on the ground, or just detonate anything else near a monster.

I also found out that casting entangle in an ancient tomb room is a very bad idea. Tons of undead tore me apart for defiling the place.

Geo on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This game is ridiculously hard.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • SophismataSophismata Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    All in all, I think this could well replace ADOM for me.

You have tweaked my interest. Beginning download... ^^

Sophismata on
    edited August 2007
    Is anyone else unable to take things out of their bags?

Sushisource on
    kavinskysig.gif
    edited August 2007

Press space to put the item in your hand.

You have to do a lot of work arounds to get things out of multipule containers.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited August 2007
    Goumindong wrote: »

Press space to put the item in your hand.

You have to do a lot of work arounds to get things out of multipule containers.

What I mean is, I have nothing "In the Air" and it says to take stuff out of your bag press one of the numbers, but when I press the numbers nothing happens.

Sushisource on
    kavinskysig.gif
    edited August 2007
    type the numbers in order type 01 to get item slot 1 out.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This game has my seal of approval! It's not that hard either you just have to know the rules. The game system is sort of a combination of roguelikes and 3.5 dungeons and dragons which I both like. The inventory system is from omega which means its way too complicated. I made a Mage my first try and had a pretty good time of it until I mysteriously ran out of mana and didn't notice. Depending how much content there is in this game it may replace ADOM as my favorite roguelike (not counting dwarf fortress fortress mode). EDIT: Okay its pretty hard!

vhzod on
    edited August 2007
    Goumindong wrote: »
    type the numbers in order type 01 to get item slot 1 out.

Yeah, I figured that out 5 minutes after I posted my message. :P

Sushisource on
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I could really do without having my god turn me into a random creature every other day.

Otherwise, I quite like it.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So far, all my characters get killed on level 1 when a weak-ass orc or skeleton wielding some kind of magic weapon (last one was a greatsword of weakening) pounds the snot out of them. Ideally there'd be more of a progression to this sort of thing.

Orogogus on
    edited August 2007
    You gots to be tricksy. You're not just going to bully your way through this place. At least that's what I've been noticing. That being said, lizardman and boomerangs? win.

Trevor Goodchild on
    edited August 2007
    So far my most successfull trick has been to create a mage with wall of fire as an innate spell.

Unfortouantly, they take forever to dispell, and the last three games the game killed me as i rested.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • skimbleshanksskimbleshanks __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    drow start with all adamantine equipment. I've found that this often increses my life expectancy.

skimbleshanks on
    The more laws and order are made prominent,
    The more thieves and robbers there will be.
    -Lao-tzu
  • SophismataSophismata Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Four tips guys:

1. Check the options menu if you're finding the game too hard. There are two options, one which halves the hp of enemies (or doubles if you're feeling suicidal), and one which prevents out-of-depth monsters being generated. You can also make all your HP rolls maxxed for another decrese in difficulty - all these are great for trying out and getting used to the game.

2. I've generally found that you live and die by your active abilities, unlike other roguelikes where you tend to live and die by your items. Skills, feats, and class abilities are all very important.

3. Rogues are great for checking out the skill system.

4. Warriors are great for checking out Feats ^^.

Sophismata on
    edited August 2007
    Agh, my last game had been going so well. I had just gotten down to level 2, and already had a nice stock of magic items. I take 4 steps then...

From the shadows, a gnome!
    Gnome's Attack: 1d20 (18) +5 +4 surprise +2 conceal = 29 vs Def 16 -1 noDex -1 noDodge = 14 [crit]
    Gnome's Damage: 5d10 + (+2PA) x5 = 48 bypassed Cov 10 = 48
    Catching you unaware, a gnome fires a crossbow bolt at you, brutalizing you.
    You die...

That was such overkill. Full HP to death instantly >_<

Every game I've played with this character has ended due to horrible bad luck. No dragging on, just 1 round Death.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Zorak15Zorak15 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This game is quickly overtaking my entire weekend and I'm alright with that. Thanks for maeking poast.

Zorak15 on
    steam_sig.png
    Registered member since '04, Lurking since '99!
    edited August 2007
    You summon a bear. It eats you. you die.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited August 2007
    A kobold multitude cultist trapped me in a tanglefoot bag, and proceeded to somehow make my armor and backpack explode.

Der Waffle Mous on