As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

RAGE - IT'S HERE: id's newest IP and engine 5

HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Games and Technology
Update 10/8/2011:
A patch was released today for the actual game, although much like all the video drivers and whatnot it seems to only be helping a handful of people while busting the game even more for others. This update adds a couple video options, like V-Sync and texture cache size, in an effort to improve things. Early word is that it may also over-ride the tweaks that id was telling people to make in creating a cfg file, so all that may be out the window once you patch.

IMPORTANT TIPS:
The game is out, and buggy. There is an exceptionally limited menu for video settings; the game auto-scales, and this has been causing some issues ranging from frequent texture pop-in to unplayable slowdown.
ATI/AMD Users have been getting hammered particularly hard, and have suffered through three brand new driver hotfixes and betas to try and improve the problems; the results of which have still left many people with problems, although the 11.10 preview drivers seem to be doing a stronger job than the past hotfixes. Some nVidia users have also been experiencing problems, but not as commonly. If you are getting bad stutter/lag on ATI, disable catalyst AI in the catalyst command center. If you're getting screen tearing, try playing with your v-sync settings both in RAGE and in your drivers. The new catalyst release is supposed to always make RAGE run in v-sync, so don't turn it on in game.

ALSO NOTE: Auto-saves are almost non-existent within the game, so be sure to save frequently.

Lastly for the moment, here is a steam thread attempting to keep track of all the major issues. Use that to find ways to adjust settings, access the console, and fix graphical problems.

RAGE is out, and the reviews are trickling in. So far there are only a few, and they seem to be pretty torn.

-EGM (they're still around!?) think RAGE is a step forward for FPS titles, mixing elements while creating something totally new and exciting.

-IGN like it, but admit it's no innovator. They're still spending time exploring the PC version.

-Joystiq are disappoint-iD, to put it mildly

-Ars Technica are consumed with RAGE, and not in a good way.

***Original Post, August 2007***
I didn't see a thread for this; has anyone seen it yet?

Those who have can discuss while I look for a link to the trailer and a press release and whatnot.

Edit: Trailer
Edit:A kotaku article on the reveal at quakecon.

HadjiQuest on

• FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yes. Will it look that good on a 360?

Faricazy on
  • LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Is this the one people speculated might be a racing game? It's not, right?

LavaKnight on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It will be rated T. I winced when I read that.

Hoz on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It has racing in it.

It also has shooting in it.

Everyone is happy.

Faricazy on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    LavaKnight wrote: »
    Is this the one people speculated might be a racing game? It's not, right?

Ohh, it is. You can even pimp out your rides.

It looks ridiculous. It looked cool when I saw the samurai guy, and then it cut to FPS footage with generic doom/quake type enemies. And then it cut to racing footage.

And then I laughed. Because it looks ridiculous. I was set on this from the first few seconds of the trailer, and then the gameplay footage came in and derailed it.

HadjiQuest on
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    they also confirmed coop play, the only part of the multiplayer they have talked about so far. The game looks awesome.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    edited August 2007
    Does he say "forgotten man"?

Hoz on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It looks really awesome. I hope they don't let the T rating hold them back, though.

Daedalus on
    edited August 2007
    I'm much more amazed by the tech 5 engine than this game. I hope someone uses it and makes a great game with it, which I doubt id will do.

Hoz on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hoz wrote: »
    I'm much more amazed by the tech 5 engine than this game. I hope someone uses it and makes a great game with it, which I doubt id will do.

Agreed. Although the "adventure" elements interest me, should they actually really exist. I had more fun in Q4 and Doom 3 dicking around with the other marines in the early stages than I did with the generic fps gameplay that constituted the rest of the game.

HadjiQuest on
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sounds like Mad Max meets Doom. Should be cool.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Could have used more brown I think.

Rook on
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Rook wrote: »
    Could have used more brown I think.

Or maybe that off-brown color? You know the one in Quake 2?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
    edited August 2007
    But blue is so much... cooler

lolzartjoke

Mblackwell on

• KlaymenKlaymen Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm looking forward to finding out more. Mainly I hope the multiplayer is hells awesome, we need a new id game with awesome multiplayer (quake4 doesn't count, because it's not really id, and also didn't have awesome multiplayer)

Klaymen on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That game looks pretty. I really like how realistic the human characters look.

reVerse on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It looks very nice, not the sort of game I'd expect from id though.

Apparently it's going to be available on 2 DVD's for the PC, 360 and Mac and a single BR disc for the PS3. I hope this doesn't end up like the PGR4 thread, with kids running around thinking they know more than the actual developers...

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • TelemachusTelemachus uncomfy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, I'm all for more specifics regarding this id tech 5 business. Quotes such as the following strike me as a bit too good to be true.
    id site wrote:
    The new id rendering technology practically eliminates the texture memory constraints typically placed on artists and designers and allows for the unique customization of the entire game world at the pixel level, delivering virtually unlimited visual fidelity. Combined with a powerful new suite of tools designed specifically to facilitate and accelerate the content creation process, id Tech 5 will power games that contain vast outdoor landscapes that are completely unique to the horizon, yet have indoor environments with unprecedented artistic detail.

Telemachus on
    edited August 2007
    Telemachus wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm all for more specifics regarding this id tech 5 business. Quotes such as the following strike me as a bit too good to be true.
    id site wrote:
    The new id rendering technology practically eliminates the texture memory constraints typically placed on artists and designers and allows for the unique customization of the entire game world at the pixel level, delivering virtually unlimited visual fidelity. Combined with a powerful new suite of tools designed specifically to facilitate and accelerate the content creation process, id Tech 5 will power games that contain vast outdoor landscapes that are completely unique to the horizon, yet have indoor environments with unprecedented artistic detail.

That's that Megatexture stuff, right? They were doing that with Quake Wars, too.

Carmack has always been a programming genius; I wouldn't be surprised if he could actually pull off what the ad copy says.

Daedalus on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    id site wrote:

I dunno, having played quake wars, I wasn't impressed by the texture work. Maybe it was just the beta but I'd hardly go calling it revolutionary.

Rook on
    edited August 2007
    You did see the bit about megatexture rendering being gimped in QW unless you set it in the console, right?

Mblackwell on

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    id are now putting their games up on Steam. For $62.95 you get:

Commander Keen
    DOOM 3
    DOOM 3 Resurrection of Evil
    DOOM II
    Final DOOM
    Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders
    HeXen
    HeXen II
    HeXen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel
    Master Levels for Doom II
    QUAKE
    QUAKE II
    QUAKE II Mission Pack: Ground Zero
    QUAKE II Mission Pack: The Reckoning
    Quake III Arena
    QUAKE III: Team Arena
    QUAKE Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon
    QUAKE Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    Spear of Destiny
    Ultimate DOOM
    Wolfenstein 3D

Link

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited August 2007
    How does this engine affect hardware power? I mean, I assume it needs less ram. What about processing?

I'm not sure I get it but it seems like the second coming of sprite based graphics.

Hoz on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161740

1UP preview. Gotta say, i liked the look of the video, gonna be interesting seeing how they put driving and FPS shooting together in a game, as it seems a lot of developers avoid this at the risk of alienating half the crowd. But hey, i'm okay with it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited August 2007
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    You did see the bit about megatexture rendering being gimped in QW unless you set it in the console, right?

Yeah, but he said in an interview that he had to stop the MT work on Quake Wars early because they needed to stop working on the engine and start working on the graphical assets/levels, and that he's been working on it a lot since then.

Daedalus on
    edited August 2007
    Two-part [so far] general tech walkthrough with Carmack up on Gametrailers:

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/4440.html

Telemachus on
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Looks pretty great. I love racing games, and I love first person shooters. This will be right up my alley.

Although the T rating is a bit of a disappointment. Ah well, as long as the game is good, I'll get over the lack of gibs.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A cross genre game? Ugh, they pretty much never turn out great.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Rami wrote: »

Deus Ex? Battlezone?

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I noticed a sign for Mixom: isn't that one of the supercorps mentioned in Doom 3?

Not sure what to make of it. Pretty bland trailer, but I guess the concept has potential.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Deus Ex? Battlezone?

Dues Ex was cross genre?

Don't know the second one.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Deus Ex? Battlezone?

Dues Ex was cross genre?

Don't know the second one.

FPS/RPG and FPS/RTS. Not to mention the System Shock games. Those were also FPS/RPGs.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    V:TM: Bloodlines too. If it had shipped without so many crippling bugs it might well have been my all-time favourite FPS/RPG.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Two-part [so far] general tech walkthrough with Carmack up on Gametrailers:

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/4440.html
    I love listening to him explaining his technology. I know nothing about any of that crap, and yet listening to him tell me about it makes me all excited. All the stuff about allowing much more freedom for the artists and stuff sounded really neat. It looks like there will be an insane amount of detail in this game.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This game looks retarded. I had a good laugh when the name came up, after the whole thing looked so generic.

RAGE

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This game looks retarded. I had a good laugh when the name came up, after the whole thing looked so generic.

RAGE

Yes, first person racing shooting games are so bland and generic. I mean, look how saturated the market is.

So, here's where I say that the game certainly looks nice, and I've always had a preference for the id engine games over the valve/unreal tech stuff. As awesome as source games are, they've always felt blocky to me, whereas id stuff feels very organic and in motion the physics always felt better to me.

That's just personal preference... but saying the game is generic after 11 seconds of gameplay footage is a little silly.

dispatch.o on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I take it you've never played one of EA's many Bond games...

Also, the whole thing lacks personality. It looks generic as shit. Sorry.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited August 2007
    I'm much more excited about the engine than the game itself, but then I haven't played an id game for probably a decade or so.

Telemachus on
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    But blue is so much... cooler

lolzartjoke

I wouldn't have gotten that if you didn't say lolzartjoke :P

Anyhow, that trailer just made me give out a big sighing "meh." I just wish id would take their considerable talent and use it to make characters that look in some way different from the characters in Doom 3. It's getting really repetitive at this point.

Stop it already with the dystopian red-rock-desert steampunk future.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg