As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G&T Secret Santa 2012: He'll be back again some day.

• Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    If the package appears large enough to fit an adult but is curiously light, run.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Santee! I know you have recieved my package, and I'm dying to know what you think. please give me a lifesign.

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    Does Proxy the elf work both ways?

As in I send a message to MY santa?

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »

Only in reply to your santa if he/she has already Proxy'd you. Proxy has no way of knowing who your santa is, so you can't just send a message off to him/her.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options

Only in reply to your santa if he/she has already Proxy'd you. Proxy has no way of knowing who your santa is, so you can't just send a message off to him/her.

Hypatia has done this for me in the past when I really needed to get a message to my Santa but had no idea who they were.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    AaronKI wrote: »

Hypatia has done this for me in the past when I really needed to get a message to my Santa but had no idea who they were.

Ah, yeah, Hypatia could probably do the lookup in a pinch, but (if I'm not mistaken), Proxy is not privy to such info. You'd have to ask Hypatia to handle that one.

• Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    It's not nearly that important. Thank you for the responses though.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    The Mantiz wrote: »
    Santee! I know you have recieved my package, and I'm dying to know what you think. please give me a lifesign.

How do you know?

I doubt it is me, I don't have anything yet!

• Options
    Icemopper wrote: »

How do you know?

I doubt it is me, I don't have anything yet!

The magic of Tracking numbers.

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    oh snap, there was an amazon package waiting for me when i got home from work today that i definitely didnt order for myself.

DR9US.gif

2012-12-07150611.jpg
    the box in question

2012-12-07150713.jpg
    kitty is curious about the contents of said box

2012-12-07150819.jpg
    note number 1

2012-12-07150841.jpg
    oh shit dark souls! i have definitely been curious about this game for a while now.

2012-12-07150907.jpg
    note number 2

2012-12-07150926.jpg
    my terrible secret... ive never played SOTC. but now i can! awesome!

2012-12-07150947.jpg
    note number 3

2012-12-07151056.jpg
    kitty photobomb! its the DMC HD collection, as you might be able to tell around the edges of cat there. i fucking love these games, so any excuse to replay them is a-ok in my book.

2012-12-07151126.jpg
    note number 4

2012-12-07151159.jpg
    a real awesome sounding movie that ive never heard of, starring one of the andys from hot fuzz! nothing like some brutal revenge for christmas.

2012-12-07151245.jpg
    note number 5

2012-12-07151313.jpg
    ive wanted to read this series for a long time now, so i'm quite excited about this.

2012-12-07151328.jpg
    note number 6

2012-12-07151351.jpg
    more sci-fi awesomeness.

2012-12-07154907.jpg
    the whole shebang.

plus proxy told me to expect another package of a more personalized nature, which is on its way through the mail at this very moment.

i have no words. thanks a ton for this awesome pile of awesomeness, santa! reveal yourself and bask in my gratitude! youre totally rad!

• Options
    I gave that ICO/SotC pack to my Santee last year. So much awesome in one package!

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    oh snap, there was an amazon package waiting for me when i got home from work today that i definitely didnt order for myself.

DR9US.gif

2012-12-07150611.jpg
    the box in question

2012-12-07150713.jpg

2012-12-07150819.jpg
    note number 1

2012-12-07150841.jpg
    oh shit dark souls! i have definitely been curious about this game for a while now.

2012-12-07150907.jpg
    note number 2

2012-12-07150926.jpg

2012-12-07150947.jpg
    note number 3

2012-12-07151056.jpg
    kitty photobomb! its the DMC HD collection, as you might be able to tell around the edges of cat there. i fucking love these games, so any excuse to replay them is a-ok in my book.

2012-12-07151126.jpg
    note number 4

2012-12-07151159.jpg
    a real awesome sounding movie that ive never heard of, starring one of the andys from hot fuzz! nothing like some brutal revenge for christmas.

2012-12-07151245.jpg
    note number 5

2012-12-07151313.jpg
    ive wanted to read this series for a long time now, so i'm quite excited about this.

2012-12-07151328.jpg
    note number 6

2012-12-07151351.jpg
    more sci-fi awesomeness.

2012-12-07154907.jpg
    the whole shebang.

plus proxy told me to expect another package of a more personalized nature, which is on its way through the mail at this very moment.

i have no words. thanks a ton for this awesome pile of awesomeness, santa! reveal yourself and bask in my gratitude! youre totally rad!

Random opinion push:
    Your Santa won just by sending you Dark Souls. Demon's Souls was a huge surprise to me (I bought it for my brother a few Christmas' ago, and he got fed up with it, so I played through it instead and LOVED it). Despite owning Dark Souls since launch, I have literally only started playing it 4 days ago, so how's that for timing? :p
    In contrast, SotC felt over-rated to me. There's a really great idea there, but I was often frustrated with a lack of good player feedback to help me understand what was going on. The 'boar' and 'turtle' bosses were striking examples of the game not doing a great job with clues. Oh, and the last boss. Ugh. But whatever. It's still worth playing, and the art style is great. Honestly, I would really love for someone else to give that core idea a shot sometime, as it definitely has merit.

Enjoy your fantastical haul! :D

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    My Santee's package seems to be spending an inordinate amount of time in a sorting facility. Color me concerned.

JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    also, this is a detail shot of the dicebag my lady made for diannaochong. i wanted to post it because it is awesome, and full of cthulhoid radness.
    2012-12-01123606.jpg

• Options
    crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    ooohhhh...i thought it was a fsm.

Still pretty cool!

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Oh man, @Ah_Pook
    Player of Games is probably my favorite of Banks' Culture books. I'm jealous that you get to read it for the first time.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    Shipping is definitely going to cost an arm and a leg. That's what I get for getting such heavy/ big things.

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Shipping is definitely going to cost an arm and a leg. That's what I get for getting such heavy/ big things.

Mine was about to cost ~$100 just to ship. Then I changed gears from UPS to USPS, and it dropped to $14. I'll take it!!

• Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    Started with USPS, waaaay more than I intended to spend. Santee is easily 2nd this year only to my wife (who got a new computer.)

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Icemopper wrote: »
    UEAKCrash wrote: »

Mine was about to cost ~$100 just to ship. Then I changed gears from UPS to USPS, and it dropped to $14. I'll take it!!

Just got back from shipping my packages through FedEx. Express Saver it came to a little over 50 for both of the Secret Santas I'm in this year.
    Good news for my Santee, it should be delivered Wednesday(ish).

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    DR9US.gif
    IN2au.jpg
    4ZZce.jpg
    vxIH2.jpg
    zQDVk.jpg
    DECOE.jpg
    WxSyZ.jpg

This is some pretty swank stuff. Mind you, that pan thing is going to be used to make takoyaki now. I have no idea what the initial intent was, but its making fried octopus balls, now.

The cardgame thing is awesome, now I just need to find someone to play with. My room mate refuses. :( But I'll leave it on my game shelf and maybe someday someone will be all, 'That looks awesome, what is it' and I can be all, 'WELL LETS FIND OUT.'

Thanks @the mantiz!

Also I have no pets or children, so instead I use my high class leather couch. It's kind of like a child, at least I take about as much care of it as I would a child.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    thejaxxthejaxx Expo Zone Leader Tukwila, WaRegistered User regular
    DR9US.gif

The cardgame thing is awesome, now I just need to find someone to play with. My room mate refuses. :( But I'll leave it on my game shelf and maybe someday someone will be all, 'That looks awesome, what is it' and I can be all, 'WELL LETS FIND OUT.'

Wow! I used to play the shit out of the old card game of Netrunner (still have the cards too). I've heard from a few people that this is a redone version and a lot of fun. Def something I'm going to get in the future.

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    QpZ5s.gif

I got home and my girlfriend had an ear-to-ear grin, and just pointed to a big box sitting on the table. I open it and:
    K8mXv.jpg
    Land ho, Captain! Don't forget the map before you row to shore!
    - First Mate Santa
    My own One Piece-style Jolly Roger. As soon as I have the chance I am scanning the hell outta it!
    qYKQ9.jpg
    The map led me to a package, which I greedily opened.
    28Q0k.jpg
    Oh ho! If yer readin' this, that means ye probably have me map. Well, the treasure's yours now if ye can dig it all up!
    This be a box of snacks from close to home. I bought the box off of a sea wizard who said it would keep them as fresh as the day I plundered them. Let's hope he was right!
    - Captain Key

First package:
    yiQxj.jpg
    PwscX.jpg
    8Ke1E.jpg
    dzCWj.jpg
    mKpxo.jpg
    XX76l.jpg
    Lots of tasty treats! I nearly tore into them right then, but decided to be patient and enjoy them over the holidays.

Second package:
    EYg2g.jpg
    aphA3.jpg
    Now here's a game for any pirate worth his salt. It's full of skullduggery, backstabbing, thievery, piles o' gold, bluffs, double bluffs, and triple bluffs. Works great for 2 to 8 players if ye haven't assembled yer whole pirate crew yet!
    Citadels! It's my first card game. I'm excited to try it out! I'll try to get family to join in as well.

Third package:
    FOv5S.jpg
    1mTxs.jpg
    12yzp.jpg
    Pieces O' Eight! Doubloons! Cold, hard cash!
    (Only accepted as currency in Kutaragi Bay, I'm afraid.)
    $20 in PSN bucks towards One Piece Pirate Warriors! I'm a huge fan of both One Piece and Warriors, and I'd been hoping to grab it in a sale or something. Santa just made getting it a lot easier.

Fourth package:
    z8Izr.jpg
    lGQCt.jpg
    One o' them role playin' games, compatible with any dual scrying glass handheld device. Sometimes a pirate just wants to pretend he's a plumber...
    Santa, you have no idea how close I'd been to buying this recently. After being slightly disappointed with the direction Paper Mario SS takes, I was thinking of going back and playing the DS Mario & Luigi games (already played the original a while back).

Fifth package:
    DFLUD.jpg
    jYDBB.jpg
    Har har har! Ye think I'd be enough of a blunderin' idiot to write down the real location of the gobble gobble fruit?
    D: Curse you Captain Key!
    ...Then I noticed that there was a letter inside the bauble.
    c4x5Y.jpg
    If ye believed that, maybe ye need to brush up on yer piratin' skills! Recite this voodoo incantation on yer browser o' choice for a little extra trainin'!
    (...on second thought, PM me when you read this and I'll send it over.)
    These games taught me everything I know! Come to think of it, maybe that's why I have those docking violations. Hm. Well, anwyay, complete those and maybe someday you'll have enough skill to come take the Gobble Gobble Fruit from me!

-Captain Aaron "Skeleton" Key of the Tacky Lamp Crew
    YjLXm.jpg
    Eeeeeeeee! I'd never played these games before. I like the occasional adventure game and I've heard these are solid.
    1biaF.jpg
    Finally, there was an envelope with my Santa listing the goodies, his identity (AaronKI) and general classiness. It's a bit too long for me to transcribe.

My cat fell in love with the crystal ball and the packaging. At one point it was walking around the house with the ball's note in its mouth, dangling the whole thing around.
    Twu7i.jpg
    kqLov.jpg

Okay, now that I'm done with this I can go back to reading other people's gift gets. :D

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Nice haul! And awesome presentation Aaron!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Bear is DrivingBear is Driving Registered User regular
    This is some pretty swank stuff. Mind you, that pan thing is going to be used to make takoyaki now. I have no idea what the initial intent was, but its making fried octopus balls, now.
    fd3b17e88961441b994bf9e4aeb65616_470x296_Ableskiver-med-svesker-og-kanel.jpg

That's a swank package you got. Good games and he's taught you how to fish (in a manner of speaking).

• Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    fd3b17e88961441b994bf9e4aeb65616_470x296_Ableskiver-med-svesker-og-kanel.jpg

That's a swank package you got. Good games and he's taught you how to fish (in a manner of speaking).

Takoyaki is the food of the gods and it would be the first thing I did as well. The local Japanese place stopped serving it and it broke my fucking heart.

Nice haul :)

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Turkey wrote: »
    The map led me to a package, which I greedily opened.
    28Q0k.jpg
    Oh ho! If yer readin' this, that means ye probably have me map. Well, the treasure's yours now if ye can dig it all up!
    This be a box of snacks from close to home. I bought the box off of a sea wizard who said it would keep them as fresh as the day I plundered them. Let's hope he was right!
    - Captain Key

I enjoy that the note says "die dig." :D

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    @Kendrick: Limbo is awesome, it will make you do evil things!!

Santee, giftage part 1, most of part 2 and part 3 is on its way to you! I'm still working on part 4, but it should be good to go on Monday.

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    DR9US.gif

2012-12-07150611.jpg
    the box in question

2012-12-07150713.jpg

2012-12-07150819.jpg
    note number 1

2012-12-07150841.jpg

2012-12-07150907.jpg
    note number 2

2012-12-07150926.jpg

2012-12-07150947.jpg
    note number 3

2012-12-07151056.jpg

2012-12-07151126.jpg
    note number 4

2012-12-07151159.jpg

2012-12-07151245.jpg
    note number 5

2012-12-07151313.jpg

2012-12-07151328.jpg
    note number 6

2012-12-07151351.jpg
    more sci-fi awesomeness.

2012-12-07154907.jpg
    the whole shebang.

I was going to wait til your next package arrives but I have not the willpower, it was me!

You were fun to buy stuff for, although I think I might have creeped your girlfriend out as she didn't respond to my facebook message, apologies to her if I did!

The other package is of a more local nature and the bloke and the post office said it should't be longer than a week, so should hopefully be there tomorrow!

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    @Turkey

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c45/AaronKI/turkeyflag.jpg

Here's the picture I used to print the flag if you want a digital copy. (If you zoom in, you can still see a bit of purple on the edges left over from the Baroque Works logo. Whoops!)

For those that can't tell, one of the snacks is a chocolate Abraham Lincoln bust. I practically live in Springfield, IL and you can't go anywhere without tripping over Lincoln's name or image, so I thought it was appropriate. :P

Edit: Super slow response because we've been decorating our tree tonight. :D

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    @AaronKI - Thanks for the digital version of the flag! I really dug the whole package and backstory. Your stalking was outstanding, given the 'spy' you contacted and everything. :P

• Options
    Turkey wrote: »
    @AaronKI - Thanks for the digital version of the flag! I really dug the whole package and backstory. Your stalking was outstanding, given the 'spy' you contacted and everything. :P

Funnily enough, I saw your comment about being a Koei fanboy (even had a note about it in my Turkey Stalkipedia file) but I didn't realize that Pirate Warriors was by Koei and didn't make a mental connection to the Warriors series until your gift post. That worked out well. :D

I also decided on Mario & Luigi after hearing launch week twitter grumblings over Sticker Star. I figured there was a good chance you would pick it up and hoped that you would like it, but thought M&L would give you something to fall back on just in case.

Conveniently, I already had an etsy account for top secret spy communications. :P

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Just sent Hypatia a PM about Santa.

Look what you made me do, Santa!

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    Fear not Santee! I should have your package sent by this Monday!

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Got an Amazon package today, which while I'm expecting an Amazon package I ordered stuff last night and it wasn't expected until Monday. I open the box to find the stuff I ordered. So unless you are REALLY stalking me santa, I think Amazon decided to upgrade my prime shipping to next day.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    This is technically a couple of days late (and I'm a terrible person for keeping Santa waiting) so without further ado...

DR9US.gif
    The parcel arrived just as I was starting to fret my own gifting efforts, so it was met with equal parts joy and shame (an intoxicating mix). I used the obligatory 'hide my address with zany local currency and free burger coupon' method for presentation:

PA1.jpg

In the absence of any adorable pets/offspring/plush novelties, I chose to be gifted under the judgemental eye of Soundwave. Excitement bubbling, I was about to get started when he interrupted with a dry observation.

PA2.jpg

"Cookbook?" He vocalised coldly in a minor chord. "Sounds kinda gay."

As always I ignored Soundwave's casual homophobia and tore into the package. Book confirmed!

PA3.jpg

But... how did Santa know my secret love for Liza Minnelli? Wait a minute...

PA4.jpg

After re-reading the title about seventeen times to work out the metering of the sentence, I realised it was in fact a cookbook. Soundwave walked off in disgust.

Inside the cover, a note from Santa reveals that it's a family production- stories and homestyle American recipes from his father, with editing by his wife and photography from Santa himself. A lot of love and butter clearly went into the making of this book. It's a unique gift; surprising, and deeply personal in a way I truly appreciate.

I'm terrible at cooking, but forever fascinated by American culture and cuisine. The Thanksgiving food discussions on Giant Bomb and Tested are always a weird delight (you seriously put marshmallows on casserole??) and this book has given me an authentic window into that madness. My girlfriend can't wait to try some of the recipes, so I'm probably going to need bigger pants soon.

Santa really nailed this one! But Santa wasn't done...

PA5.jpg

It's difficult to showcase Santa's talent without revealing my address to the world, but holy shit, he's gone and modelled my home for Google Earth! This is both amazingly thoughtful and terrifyingly intimate and I LOVE IT!

PA6.jpg

Take that, two-dimensional peasants. Seriously, y'all thought your Santas were good stalkers? Try living with the knowledge they've recreated the very walls in which you sleep; that they know exactly where your only exit lies. I'm doomed. But this truly is a wonderful gift! My housemates and I have always wanted to try modelling the place for Google Earth, but it was realistically never going to happen. So a sincere thank you from the whole household.

But who is this mysterious kindly Santa from the north? Why, none other than PA veteran @Icemopper, a shining beacon of class and all around handsome motherfucker. Thank you sir, and Merry Christmas to you! I will try and be less of a ghost on PA in the new year.

Two thumbs up (collective groan).

PA7.jpg

Gutterkisser on
  • Options
    That is goddamn creepy stalking. @icemopper.

Which is the absolute best compliment a Secret Santa can get.

• Options
    KendrikKendrik Lewisville, TXRegistered User regular
    I gave that ICO/SotC pack to my Santee last year. So much awesome in one package!

I should pick this up now that I have the PS3. I am ashamed to say I've played neither, yet.

steam_sig.png
    For your own Steam Signature visit https://alabasterslim.com/steam-signatures/
    Guild Wars 2: Kendrik.5984
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    Kendrik wrote: »

I should pick this up now that I have the PS3. I am ashamed to say I've played neither, yet.

It was the first thing I bought after my PS3 and was totally worth it.

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    DR9US.gif
    IN2au.jpg
    4ZZce.jpg
    vxIH2.jpg
    zQDVk.jpg
    DECOE.jpg
    WxSyZ.jpg

Thanks @the mantiz!

Also I have no pets or children, so instead I use my high class leather couch. It's kind of like a child, at least I take about as much care of it as I would a child.

Time to get a new roommate! :twisted:

I'm so glad you liked the gifts. If you haven't figured it out already, then the pan is used to make traditional Danish Æbleskiver. Its a dessert that is only made around the holidays, and it's served with jam and sugar. I'll send you a recipe later, but it is awesome that you can use it to make japanese food also. I had no idea that they had something similar.

And regarding Netrunner, I really hope you can find someone to play it with. It is one of the best new board games this year, and there is constant talk about it in the Board game-thread in Critical Failures.

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277