As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lurker's confessional

• Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I lurk because often I don't have anything to say that contributes. I lurked for years before registering.
    I remember when Elkamil joined. I also tend to agree with people that say the forums used to be better. They had a different feel to them in the past and to me it seemed like they were just more interesting. Not to say things aren't good now, but it just doesn't feel like the golden age anymore.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    MandaManda Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    evilbob wrote: »
    Well, are you a furry?

Oh God no.

Manda on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well then, post away.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    but

but if they post here, are they really lurkers anymore?
    Schroedinger's Posters.

EDIT: but anyway, it's been a while since I've really felt like getting involved in a debate. All I'll do these days is read and post in the odd thread. Most of my time is in the [chat] if it's going.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    I mostly live in the chat thread as the other threads are either out of my expertise or not that interesting to me.

It's hard to break the lurking habit at first, because your first xx posts will go unnoticed. Until you can start making cohesive paosts that people pay attention to, lurking is quite attractive.

My first DD post was savaged by Salvation122, I was lucky :P

ITS ALL YOUR FAULT I STAYED, SAL

MUAHAHAHHAAHAHA

That reminds me of one of my first posts. I was complaining about the wii in the chat thread and Violent Chemistry shut me up but good.

About three days later I came up with a great reply. Fat lot of good it did me.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    RobloRoblo Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have been lurking for about4 years, maybe a little longer (started in college i think, so about 4-5 years)

I dont think i could really contribute much though, most people here seem to be far more intelligent than me, and i'm scared of being called stupid :'(

However, i do enjoy reading the forum though, keep it up!

Roblo on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Roblo wrote: »
    I have been lurking for about4 years, maybe a little longer (started in college i think, so about 4-5 years)

I dont think i could really contribute much though, most people here seem to be far more intelligent than me, and i'm scared of being called stupid :'(

However, i do enjoy reading the forum though, keep it up!

You have a kickass avatar though, so it's all good.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I post occasionally when I think I have something valuable to contribute. It's the same is it would be in a conversation. If I really don't have anything to add, I don't bother talking just to hear the sound of my own voice. It just seems like in most thread there's someone of a similar opinion and there's no reason to restate what was said.

Trevor on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I lurked for about 6 months prior to even opening an account. Partially to make sure everyone here was normal and not psycho mendacious freaks, partially to make sure mods castrated, banned or otherwise removed said psycho mendacious freaks as quickly as possible and partially to get a feel for the boards before I started posting.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I started lurking around the end of 2005, and registered in Sep 2006 (I think). I post occasionally enough now to not consider myself creepy but I still read the forums more often than I post.

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I stopped lurking when I discovered the glory hole in the regular poster's bathroom.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm just using D&D to build up my esteem so I can eventually post in AC.

Gim on
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I tested the waters in D&D at first, and now I find myself mostly posting in SE++

bowtiedseal on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Podly wrote: »
    I stopped lurking when I discovered the glory hole in the regular poster's bathroom.

That's not a glory hole.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Everybody who posted in this thread who has lurked until now should start posting. :D It'll be awesome!

MikeMan on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2007
    I'd probably post more if I lived in the same time zone as most other forumers, and could be assured of getting a quick reply to keep the discussion going. Then again, I'm in the same zone as the Cat and she seems to manage.

Also I agree with everyone else's reasons. For instance, I have strong opinions on the current Israel thread, but they're the same as most other people's so there's no point in posting them.

And I'd just like to take this opportunity to say 'fuck you' to the other CrimsonKing, the one without the space.

Oh my god, I didn't realise there were two of you! I apologise profusely for accidentally sending waves of hate your way, because the other guy is a total dick.

This is hilarious.

Also, I probably got noticed pretty quick because I made a ton of threads after I joined; 90% of them were about the middle east, and it was me vs Harry B and Drite in most of them.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    That was awesome.

You just would not let that Middle East thread fall off the first page, even if you had to post six consecutive times in a row without a response.

Shinto on
  • Options
    recurs|onrecurs|on procrastinator general Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I stopped lurking for a veggie thread. It was ugly.

recurs|on on
  • Options
    KezzerdrixxKezzerdrixx Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I, like many others in this thread, have lurked here for years. I've made maybe five posts in that whole time, usually about things I know enough about to contribute.

I think that's the crux of it really, people who post in ignorance piss me off when I'm lurking and I don't want to be that guy.

Kezzerdrixx on
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It was actually the creepiest things thread (the non-archived one that started in 2004) that got me to start reading the forum. I'd been reading the comic for a year or more but around November 04 I clicked the forum link for the first time, eventually found my way to "Creepiest things you ever saw," and thought this forum was awesome. That plus the Strange and Embarrassing Moments Mk. II thread made for entertaining reading.

Kaputa on
  • Options
    Re: nholderRe: nholder Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, been lurking here since about 2002-3 or so.

I meak poast every now and then, but I really don't because if I end up starting a conversation, I can't finish it past two or three posts because of my time schedule.

So, I should just start making threads about abortion, the middle east, president bush, and global warming to get noticed then?

Sounds like a plan.

Re: nholder on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I mostly live in the chat thread as the other threads are either out of my expertise or not that interesting to me.

It's hard to break the lurking habit at first, because your first xx posts will go unnoticed. Until you can start making cohesive paosts that people pay attention to, lurking is quite attractive.

MUAHAHAHHAAHAHA

Yeah, I think my first confrontation was with Sal as well.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I lurked for years until a little under a year ago, then bought an account. Nobody ever really starting paying much attention to me until I recently got a shiny new av and sig. Assholes, all of you. :D

I'm not a huge forums poster unless something really interests me though. People inevitably end up repeating themselves and saying what you want to say before you can actually say it, which is why I stick mostly to chat stuff and other casual threads, unless someone starts acting truly retarded.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm not really that much of a lurker on here, but compared to how much I used to post on another forum I could be considered one.

On this old forum I had around 14,500 posts accumulated within the time span of two years. I left because despite my very solid debating skills (considering my how old I was at the time) older members didn't take me seriously, just because of my age. Not to mention every third person selected at random was a complete idiot.

Most of that stemmed from my OCD which usually manifests itself as computer and internet rituals and compulsions. Since I've started on anti-OCD medicine I don't feel the need to post on and/or read forums so much anymore. But I am glad that I found this forum by chance (Bless you, Google) D&D is easily one of the best and most intelligent discussion forums I have ever encountered.

Gigaton on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gigaton wrote: »
    D&D is easily one of the best and most intelligent discussion forums I have ever encountered.

I definitely agree. I love the atmosphere here, except when you guys get pissed at each other; then it definitely devolves into a lot of insults and derogation of the other poster. Still, you guys are probably the smartest and agreeable debaters I've ever encountered on an internet forum. Maybe one day I will get the time / balls to post here regularly.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm not really that much of a lurker on here, but compared to how much I used to post on another forum I could be considered one.

On this old forum I had around 14,500 posts accumulated within the time span of two years. I left because despite my very solid debating skills (considering my how old I was at the time) older members didn't take me seriously, just because of my age. Not to mention every third person selected at random was a complete idiot.

Most of that stemmed from my OCD which usually manifests itself as computer and internet rituals and compulsions. Since I've started on anti-OCD medicine I don't feel the need to post on and/or read forums so much anymore. But I am glad that I found this forum by chance (Bless you, Google) D&D is easily one of the best and most intelligent discussion forums I have ever encountered.

What were you googling, out of interest?

Low Key on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    D&D is easily one of the best and most intelligent discussion forums I have ever encountered.

I definitely agree. I love the atmosphere here, except when you guys get pissed at each other; then it definitely devolves into a lot of insults and derogation of the other poster. Still, you guys are probably the smartest and agreeable debaters I've ever encountered on an internet forum. Maybe one day I will get the time / balls to post here regularly.

Shut the fuck up you asslicking cumsniffer.
    yes, post! :)

MikeMan on
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

MUAHAHAHHAAHAHA

Upon reflection, my choice of name is somewhat unfortunate.

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sal wrote: »

MUAHAHAHHAAHAHA

Upon reflection, my choice of name is somewhat unfortunate.

I don't even know who you are.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Low Key wrote: »

What were you googling, out of interest?

I can't even remember...

That's almost always how I discover a new blog or message board is through Lord Google. (Google is my savior)

Gigaton on
  • Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't even know who you are.

I'm not anyone's alt, if that's what you're thinking.

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'll go ahead and come out of the lurker closet too. I normally post in the sports threads here, and thats about it. Its just easier to lurk than to post. Ive only just recently started to come into D&D anyway. Most of my time here thus far has been submitting myself to the mercy of H/A or posting in the occasional G&T "Recommend me a game for system X" thread.

I don't see any math related threads out here either. Politics aren't exactly my forte and it seems that comes up more than anything else here.

As a rule, I like to limit what I say to topics I know about. I guess I don't post because that's a little limited.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've been lurking for at least a few hours daily since 2002. I registered my account in 2003, and have posted on and off since then-I've probably racked up a couple thousand posts, but considering the amount of time I've spent reading this damn forum I'm really still primarily a lurker.

My main reason why I remain a lurker is because I always scrutinize my posts to death. I'll complete a thread and have an idea of what I want to post in it, so I'll type out whatever stream of consciousness happens to be babbling through my head at the time and hunker down to edit. I'll go through it once or twice making sure all my grammar and spelling is correct, then pull out a toothcomb and start rewriting sentences. Once I've got all of the sentences that irked me during the initial grammar edits reworked, I'll take another look at the post and realize that I really ought to change some of the secondary sentences affected by the first sentence rewrites, as to make it all fit. Once this is done I'll go through it again for grammar and possibly paragraphing (if it's long enough), and at this point an hour has elapsed and I'm so damn fed up that I'll trash the post which, half the time, is no longer pertinent thanks to the new posts that appeared during my writing process. I'm slowly getting better at simply writing a better post the first time around so my edit times are more reasonable while still keeping this OCD tendency at bay, so hopefully as my writing improves the more prolific my posting will be.

The second reason why I really don't post much is because of a terrible need to have read the entire thread, preferably twice, before even considering posting in it. Not necessarily a bad habit to get into when replying to infantile threads that are still toddling along at two or three pages long, but a large roadblock keeping me from posting in any senior threads here. Reading and being able to recall the entirety of a 45 page thread so I can keep my reply free of redundancy and wonderfully up to date and pertinent is something that any lifestyle choices like having a job or going to school will naturally prohibit. Again, I'm slowly getting over the fear of possibly restating a point already made or, god forbid, asking a question already answered twenty pages ago, but it's a slow process.

Looking back, this post makes me out to be an epically anal bastard, but I assure you that aside from a strange fondness for chewing on my inner lip my OCD tendencies are relegated to only my internet habits.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    That's not a terrible habit at all!

Also, good guess on the postcount there. Just over 2K.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have been lurking more often than I have been posting in D&D recently for two reasons:

1. When I come online, most threads have sprung up during my night-time, when I've been asleep, and are already at 20 pages and have recycled most of the arguments. I have to make the choice to either let it go, or make a post that is just echoing someone else's.

2. My last few posts in threads have been largely ignored, either because I posted in the middle of two people arguing and so it was lost within five minutes, or because the person I was addressing wasn't online until a few hours later and probably didn't see my response to them.

Janson on
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have lurked here for a few years, but I think i only managed to create a account last year. The older forum always seemed to *lose* my signing up stuff, so I would try to register, only to get no confirming email. Then the email address I tried to sign up with would be forever stuck as a failed registering attempt, and not able to be used to try again. I vaguly felt like the 'tubes was doing it on purpose.

I have to agree with the intimdating side of things though. I have seen so many people ripped to shreds over such miniscule things like spelling and punctuation. I also have a debilitating fear that if I start making my presence known, that when I try and express my opinion/knowledge, I will NOT know some small thing, and everyone will descend upon me like baying hounds and rip my textual identity to shreds. *shudder* Just the very mental image of my online persona lying bleeding on the cold cold forum floor, leaking verbs and fullstops under the hate filled gazes of several of "big name" posters is enough for me to stay lurking 90% of the time.

Also, where the hell do you guys find the time to post so much? Do you do anything BUT post?

joshua1 on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    joshua1 wrote: »
    Also, where the hell do you guys find the time to post so much? Do you do anything BUT post?

At times like this I'd usually agree and laugh at people, but these days I can't help but notice how many posts I myself have racked up despite being here for, what, less than a year?

I've been a lurker since 2002 (or whenever I decided to check out G&T to see what people were making of Half-Life 2 previews) but it occurs to me that I still don't post in D&D very much. I think years of watching the place from afar made me realise that it scares the hell out of me. I don't do well with confrontation and I rarely change my opinion on anything, so it'd be pretty stupid on my part to barge into a debate and crap on proceedings.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've lurked here for years, since before Social Entropy was called... whatever it was previously called, I don't really remember what it was. Started up this account a year or two ago, and now I post occasionally when there's something I think I can add or that's particularly interesting, but I still lurk more than post.

If I ever do start posting regularly, I'll probably make the effort to make an avatar.

Tarantio on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Tarantio wrote: »
    I've lurked here for years, since before Social Entropy was called... whatever it was previously called, I don't really remember what it was.

Wasn't it EE? Or am I thinking of something else. Or was that... here?

My memory hazy is.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Tarantio wrote: »
    I've lurked here for years, since before Social Entropy was called... whatever it was previously called, I don't really remember what it was.

Wasn't it EE? Or am I thinking of something else. Or was that... here?

My memory hazy is.

I think it was pit - something. Or maybe hate - something.

Pit of Hate?

chamberlain on