As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Incursion: d20 Roguelike

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm finding that priests are pretty good for their domain powers. Stat bonuses and immunities ahoy. Might be worth multiclassing outward to warrior actually. I've not tried multiclassing yet.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    drow start with all adamantine equipment. I've found that this often increses my life expectancy.

Adamantine, POISONED equipment, with a free ranged weapon to boot.

KiTA on
  • EstocEstoc Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wow, that is some really small text. I read that there is a way to make the text bigger using alt + space, but that isn't working for me. Any other ways? My eyes will thank you.

edit: ah, nevermind, found the font size in the options.

Estoc on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Poison/disease is way too powerful.

You get poisoned or diseased. Are you a bard with the luck to get a potion in the store? If not, you die.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • SophismataSophismata Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Just lost an extremely promising character ;/. He leapt a great chasm in order to slay a Vampiric Mist, but didn't make the leap back...
    Goumindong wrote: »

You get poisoned or diseased. Are you a bard with the luck to get a potion in the store? If not, you die.

Halflings can cure most ailments with a fountain, thanks to their exceptional luck. Most fighters/barbarians or the tougher races will just walk off poison and disease, and there are some feats that give you massive bonuses to resistance. One in particular means you only need to pass the save for most poisons once.

However, it's very nice playing a drow and using the poison against others ^^.

Sophismata on
    edited August 2007
    Drow are really poweful when they hit 2nd/3rd level. Got a mage who has summon monster 6 on innate spell going for alienest.. Lets see how it turns out

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • WheezerWheezer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Argh, from where I'm sitting I'm unable to access the website. Either it's down or it's getting blocked by a firewall, but I can't get to it.

With this in mind, does anyone know of a mirror site or a colletion site which hosts the game files?
    Failing that, could anyone please host or send the files via email?

EDIT - Disregard my request, I've recieved a copy in my mail. If anyone else needs this though, PM me.

Wheezer on
    megamansig.jpg
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Does the antitoxin actually do anything?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    WHY wrote: »
    Does the antitoxin actually do anything?
    Yes. It boosts your poison resistance just like in D&D.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    d'oh.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Bows and detonation make for hilarious AOE attacks.

Darklyre on
    edited August 2007
    Oh man, I found a NICE option on the second to last pages in the Options. "Auto Hide in Shadows".

Drow Rogue survivability up 50,000%!

Oh, and the limitation on reincarnations is about 6. I know, cause my rogue which came with all 14+s to stats AND an Innate summoning spell (summoned little vortexes), well, yeah. I had to reroll after 6 deaths. :(

KiTA on
    edited August 2007
    Level 5 bitches! And skill kicking.

Mage 3, Alienist 2.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've been able to reincarnate this one char at least 10 times. I keep dying from stealthed shit one shotting me. Maybe casting a light spell everywhere would help. I've never had a char not reincarnate before.

vhzod on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So this is pretty fun. Most survivable character I've had was a kobold rogue, because nobody can see you.

I decided to let him die at level 5 because I cheated two of those levels:
    If you disarm a trap, then salvage it, then place it again, you get the original xp again.

All the same, it was fun stuff, I'll probably remake him.

piL on
    edited August 2007
    piL wrote: »
    So this is pretty fun. Most survivable character I've had was a kobold rogue, because nobody can see you.

If you disarm a trap, then salvage it, then place it again, you get the original xp again.

Er, how do you salvage a trap? o.O

KiTA on
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My download constantly freezes up or come out corrupt. What's the deal?

My end here or what?

Edit: finally got it, fucking hell not my day or something. Lookes great - gonna give it a try in the morning with a better state of mind.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • FanciestWalnutFanciestWalnut Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    How do I pick up items on the ground, I am seriously so confused.

FanciestWalnut on
    edited August 2007
    How do I pick up items on the ground, I am seriously so confused.
    Press g (for get). If it takes you to the inventory screen then you need to tab over to your backpack and press s to store it in there.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Zorak15Zorak15 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Okay, I'm getting a bit tired of invisible crap like "phantasmal plague of spiders" or whatever that can just follow me around and hit me all they like. How does one kill what one can't see?

Please give me your solutions, as creative as you need be. (besides hiding inside a summoning circle for the rest of your days . . .)

Zorak15 on
    steam_sig.png
    Registered member since '04, Lurking since '99!
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Okay, just lost a character to "scroll strain", trying to read a scroll that was apparently too powerful for me. That's new to me, as roguelikes go. Does d20 DnD have a wiki or something where I can read up on this stuff?

Also, what gods are easier to deal with for a DnD newbie? I think Maeve just smited my elf and changed my alignment for killing a firebat in self-defense. Didn't kill me, but still the kind of thing I'd like to avoid until I know what I'm doing.

Orogogus on
    edited August 2007
    None of that is DnD stuff.

Also, be wary about going alienist as a mage. Aparently they are divine caster... I had to get a god.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited August 2007
    KiTA wrote: »
    piL wrote: »

Er, how do you salvage a trap? o.O

U for skills, then use handle device. DC is trap DC +10 I believe.

piL on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The downlaoded archive seems to all be corrupt what's up with that

nexuscrawler on
  • FanciestWalnutFanciestWalnut Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I really don't like asking these simple questions but how do I go down stairs?

FanciestWalnut on
    edited August 2007
    > and up is <

Remember, everything is "case sensitive" so if you want to metamagic or go up and down stairs you have to hit shift first.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited August 2007
    Gods

Since it seems to be worrying people at the moment, let's deal with the Gods first. As a divine spellcaster, you are forced to choose a God, as a Godless adventurer, you may want to choose a god, and if you want to become a twilight huntsman, you will have to devote yourself to Maeve.

Since priests and adventurers can choose from a large range of Gods, here are my suggestions for ease of play:

Sabine - God of Athletics, Change, and Lightning Bolts

Sabine is the perfect choice for rogues (in particular), barbarians and mages who enjoy metamagic and lightning. Killing enemies that are surprised, flat-footed, killing people while in a beserk rage, using the tumble skill, killing them with lightning or lightning-weapons, killing them with a metamagic spell - basically, this god enjoys killing, and as an adventurer, killing is what you do. Of particular note is that these benefits stack - slaying a surprised, flat-footed enemy in a single hit with lightning and while confused earns up big points - but rogues in general make a lot of one-hit kills and attack many unaware opponents, so it should be easy for rogues (in particular) to stay in Sabine's favour.

Few things seem to anger Sabine - acting 'uncautiously', and of more note - accepting aid from others and acting unchaotically. Both of these seem fairly easy to avoid, so Sabine seems a good choice in general.

Xel - God of the Harvest

Harvester of Souls moer liek, mirite?

Xel is the God of the Harvest, and I place him here as a warning - I'd hoestly suggest, out of all the gods to avoid, Xel is the best avoided. Essentially, if you fail to make regular sacrifices to him, he takes his due out of your hide.

Zurvash - God of Animals and The Hunt

Another easy one, Zurvash seems best for Rangers and Druids, who get animal companions as a class feature. In general, he seems both hard to please and hard to anger - just remember the following:

The only allies he accepts are animals. No followers, no summoned monsters, no nothin' (illusions don't count).
    Never surrender.
    Spare no one.

Causing an enemy to surrender to you seems to please him mightily, but I think he expects you to kill them anyway.

Maeve - Queen of the Faeries

Maeve is important if you wish to take the prestige class Twilight Hunstman, or if you're an elf (an elf choosing another god will really piss Maeve off). In essence, she likes you killing works of beauty, especially so if ther are still screming when slain upon her altar. Anything with a high Charisma counts as beautiful, apparantly. Worthy of further note is her hatred of Drow, and killing Drow always earns points with Maeve - just don't spare or surrender to them. Don't recruit them, either. Finally, unchaotic acts displease her (and, in general, you need to be chaotic to follow her, anyway).

Asherath - God of War, Scholarship, Time and History

One of the coolest Gods in my book, Asherath has a wholly Dawinistic approach. The strong triumph, the weak perish - being one of the strong pleases him. In essence, adventuring (defeating powerful enemies, levelling up and becoming more powerful) make him happy. Stupidity in adventuring makes him angry - using unidentified items that turn out to be cursed, for example. In general, he seems a great god for anyone, especially people new to roguelikes ;p. Destroying knowledge also angers him - do not damage or allow books to be damaged. Since there are few ways to please him, try to avoid making him angry.

It is worth noting that, as a Darwinistic God, Asherath generally won't help you out or accept requests for aid - he expects people to succeed under their own merits.

Aiswin - God of Secrets, Vengeance and Shadows

The last God I'll mention, Aiswin is easy to please (killing anything that has caused you injury or harm), and places very few restrictions (only two, in fact) on his followers. Do not attack neutral or friendly creatures, and do not use magic that carries the [Light] descriptor - Aiswin hates light. In return, he offers a lot to followers, from ressurection through to artifacts and knowledge (identification of stuff). Important to note is that he only answers prayers at night, though the game says that deep dungeons are considered eternal night for this purpose. I haven't actually tried him out yet, so I'm not sure how it relates to the starting dungeon. Oh, he won't answer prayers if you're on bright light, either - be careful there, too.

Poison/Disease
    Sophismata wrote: »

Halflings can cure most ailments with a fountain, thanks to their exceptional luck. Most fighters/barbarians or the tougher races will just walk off poison and disease, and there are some feats that give you massive bonuses to resistance. One in particular means you only need to pass the save for most poisons once.

Okay, some of those poisons are actually really freakin' NASTY. My most promosing character made 5 out of the 6 required saving throws before finally succumbing to a Str-drain poison, even after chugging my entire inventory of poitons (finding one Restore Strength, and one Potion of Unhealth). So, in general, here's how to avoid poison-related deaths:

Be a Kobold - they are immune to poison.

Start with the Immune:Poison perk.

Warriros, Barbarians and Rangers have high Fortitude saves - combine this with a high Constitution for good chance at overcoming most poison.

The Great Fortitude feat will help you overcome poison as well.

The Hardiness feat is especially useful - it requires the Endurance feat first, but in additon to granting bonuses versus poisons, will also decrease the number of required saving throws to overcome poison and disease by 2 and 3 respectively.

Rogues (or any class) with the Alchemy skill can craft antitoxins for a moderate some of gold. Just se the alchemy skill and choose antitoxin from the list of options. This can be done without the Brew Potion feat!

More to come after fooding (and work). However, for now, I've found that going to the options and setting attribute rolls to occur before class selection is a good idea - it allows you to select a class and feats with better regard to your perks and attributes. I've found this vital for choosing the best weapons in order to survive (summary: Dexterity, go for Spiked Chain [Exotic Weapon], Strength, go for Greatsword/Fullblade/Mercurial Broadsword (the latter two being Exotic)).

Sophismata on
    edited August 2007
    Nice, i could use that. Also something that tells us what enhancements do and such.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited August 2007
    Nice, i could use that. Also something that tells us what enhancements do and such.

Sure, but needs to eats first. However, I cannot stress the power of the Spiked Chain wnough, especially for Rogues. It's the only Weapon Finesse-able weapon with excellent damage, on top of that it is effective while grappling, has reach (with no melee penalty), has a chance to entangle enemies and has a bonus to trip enemies. The latter is especially important when considering that high-dex characters can choose combat reflexes, gaining massive numbers of attacks of opportunity, all of which now occur at range.

Finally, the Spiked chain has a parry value of +7! Making a human rogue with good Dex and Int not only gives you massive numbers of vital Skill Points, but also gives you, with the corrrect feat choice (Exotic -> Spiked Chain, Expertise, Dodge) an AC of 10 + Dex + 11, which comes up to mid 20's for most characters. If you are fortunate enough to have the wild talent Combat Mind, this can reach the low 40's when dealing with intelligent, sapient creatures such as Black Orcs.

Sophismata on
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was enjoying my drow ranger... well, I killed one monster and enjoyed the fuck out of it.
    Then I drowned.....

Mmmm... Cocks... on
    edited August 2007
    Sophismata wrote: »

Sure, but needs to eats first. However, I cannot stress the power of the Spiked Chain wnough, especially for Rogues. It's the only Weapon Finesse-able weapon with excellent damage, on top of that it is effective while grappling, has reach (with no melee penalty), has a chance to entangle enemies and has a bonus to trip enemies. The latter is especially important when considering that high-dex characters can choose combat reflexes, gaining massive numbers of attacks of opportunity, all of which now occur at range.

Finally, the Spiked chain has a parry value of +7! Making a human rogue with good Dex and Int not only gives you massive numbers of vital Skill Points, but also gives you, with the corrrect feat choice (Exotic -> Spiked Chain, Expertise, Dodge) an AC of 10 + Dex + 11, which comes up to mid 20's for most characters. If you are fortunate enough to have the wild talent Combat Mind, this can reach the low 40's when dealing with intelligent, sapient creatures such as Black Orcs.

Screw Rogue, use a Monk ;)

But aparently monks arent proficient in spiked chains like they are usualy.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dudes. How I use spellbooks?

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
    edited August 2007
    Not a clue. But when you are in the character menu [d] you can learn spells by pressing [L](no capitalization necessary)

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited August 2007
    Not a clue. But when you are in the character menu [d] you can learn spells by pressing [L](no capitalization necessary)

That helps.

Sushisource on
    kavinskysig.gif
  • JourneymanJourneyman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hey, everyone,

This is the Incursion developer. I'm really happy to see you all
    enjoying the game, and I'll be watching here for any bugs to
    fix. You'll be pleased to know there's a new release tentatively
    scheduled for the 14th, and it's going to include inventory revision
    for ease of use, a more readable color scheme and hopefully
    more implemented bard abilities (those slipped by me, to be
    honest).

Just FYI, there's no GPL code whatsoever in Incursion. To be
    blunt, I'm not stupid. I credit the games that have come before
    mine in terms of giving conceptual inspiration, the same way
    that (I believe) the overland map in Omega inspired the one in
    ADOM, or how Thomas Biskup openly acknowledges D&D as an
    inspiration for ADOM. If you doubt, read the white paper on the
    web page and try to imagine how difficult it would be to
    integrate the data structures described there with those in
    any existing GPL roguelike.

Give me a shout if you're curious about anything else; I don't
    bite! :)

Journeyman on
  • EstocEstoc Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ooo, Developer post. Nice game ya got there, even though it's ball-breakingly hard. My Nethack intstincts tell me to search the whole floor before going down a set of stairs, however in this game I just don't survive long enough to do that. :P I'm getting better at it though, surviving long enough to at least be 3rd clvl. I'll get the hang of it soon enough.

Hmm, do you take bug reports? Get this: Two weapon Fighting vs. a vampiric ooze. I hit with the main weap, and the ooze vanishes. I still swing the offhand weap, hitting and killing the ooze. The corpse is found several spaces away. I get a good laugh, and move on my merry way, until I meet a bone delver, who introduces me to his good friend grave rot. I die several turns later D:

The way this game is played it could be possible to make a multiplayer version. One person could be desinated party leader, and does the movement for the party outside of battle. The fights are nice, and the time system could account for mutiple characters.

Estoc on
    edited August 2007
    Estoc wrote: »
    The way this game is played it could be possible to make a multiplayer version. One person could be desinated party leader, and does the movement for the party outside of battle. The fights are nice, and the time system could account for mutiple characters.

I would kill for this.

Sushisource on
    kavinskysig.gif
    edited August 2007
    Ahem. Do what you have to to be on the nice side of an accursed cow, unless you really like your weapon and would like to never be able to voluntarily remove it.

They cursed my weapon to my hands :(

edit: Ooo a developer post while I was being too lazy to refresh! In case you didn't see where I mentioned it before, if you salvage a trap and then replace it, you'll get the exp when you disarm it again. And thank you very much for the game, it's fun and awesome!

edit2: And is there a way to drag things? Because it is hard to worship as a Kobold--I can't sacrifice things!

piL on
  • Zorak15Zorak15 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Since you are checking out the forums I'd just like to say thanks very much for making this game, Journeyman. It's carrying me through a console game drought and holding my attention despite the 100+ games that I have in my possession. It's great work, and I love the detail you put into it.

Zorak15 on
    steam_sig.png
    Registered member since '04, Lurking since '99!
    edited August 2007
    I am trying to figure out how to not anger Xanias or whatever his name is. It seems impossible

"barter with paladin"

You cow the paladin, your god is mad!

I didnt want to cow the paladin, i wanted to try and trade :(

The orc turns to flee, seeing an opening you make an AOO, he dies. your god is mad!

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png