As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

G&T Secret Santa 2012: He'll be back again some day.

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Hahaha The Room! Awesome. Man, I really want to watch the whole thing and not just watch small YouTube clips.

Hilarious.

• Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    Watching it in theatres is a great experience, I have watched it about 6 times now.

Also, I am buds with Lisa (Juliette Danielle).

The more you know.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Does she tear you apart?

I cannot get over this plate n' book n' candy stuffs. Seriously. So great. <3

Makes me feel like a sucky Santa, actually. Wanna send one of these packages off. Ceej. You're getting Easter Bunnied by your own Santa. >:3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    Does she tear you apart?

Often.

Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Wow, that's pretty cool.
    You should ask her what kind of weird-ass accent Tommy Wiseau has, cause I can't figure it out. It's kinda French..but not really.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    My wife just called me that I have received a package from Oklahoma, can't wait to get home.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Dear santee... if my box turns up all wet and sounding like broken glass: Merry Christmas (everything else should be safe. just presentation will be ruined)

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Gift get! I'll have to wait until tonight for pictures thanks to uncurling and final puzzling(!), but for now I'll just say I got a groovy and thoughtful Santa.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    Dear Santa, I have not been the most active on the forums - December has been unexpectedly busy though (insanely so). As I will leave for my parents tomorrow evening, I will most likely not be able to receive your package until the 30th, once I arrive back at my home.
    Looking forward to it!

davidoc0.jpg
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    derp doublepost

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    DraysothDraysoth Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Giftget.gif WOOOO!
    Cat was hungry...
    IMG_05181_zps42f1490d.jpg
    Yes, new shoes in a fancy box!
    IMG_05192_zps8f9df0e1.jpg
    Wait, moon language... instructions from Japan on how to properly put on these new shoes! AWESOME!
    IMG_05202_zpsf6d87286.jpg
    Or not... theres a bunch of cool stuff in here tho! Instructions on how to play something similar to Jenga, but Mario themed...
    IMG_05212_zpsfa4b20f9.jpg
    A cool salty set of fish treats (no wonder the cat was so interested in this box!), some kind of I think seaweed wrapped cracker, 2 packs of different Japan style mint/Jolly Ranchers (probably green tea and octopus flavored!), and some very, very tasty looking chocolate cookie mushrooms!

Thanks so much Santa, you rock! I have a name on here, but not your handle, so I'll keep it quiet! Also, I tried to put the game and food on as described on the box, but it didn't work out, so I'll just play the games and eat the snacks like a westerner would :)

Oh, wanted to add - the Xbox points you guys hooked me up with were well spent on the current Live sale - picked up the Lego games I didn't have yet. Also, the cat has claimed the shoebox now and won't leave it! hes a bit big, but I guess its his new bed/home!

Draysoth on
    WiiU ID - Draysoth1
    Xbox Live - Draysoth1
    PSN - Draysoth
    Steam - Draysoth
    3DS - 2320-6133-3744
    Please let me know if you add me!
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    GIFT GET!

My Santa, whoever he or she is, has struck again.
    A wild box appears!

8285129132_83d4cd1191.jpg
    Wild Box Appears! by Cameron_Talley, on Flickr

My Lego Avatar makes quick work of it.

8284068659_1f6bcbc259.jpg
    Bubbles! With Air! by Cameron_Talley, on Flickr

There be packages here!

8285128802_70b5cfecbb.jpg
    Da Gift! by Cameron_Talley, on Flickr

And the note:

8284068443_2a6829821b.jpg
    A Note! by Cameron_Talley, on Flickr

What is it?

8284068805_45f80ff2b1.jpg
    Awesome! by Cameron_Talley, on Flickr

COMICS!

This is awesome! It's a really nice book, hardcover, with concept art, too. I've never read Hellboy but flipping through it, it seems great. Thanks Santa!

My next quest is some sort of Epic Journey, which I hope to undertake soon....

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Some santas have really been stepping up the long game this year.

• Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    Giftget.gif
    rsz_img_0028.jpg
    An enormous package dropped from the sky, it's thick carapace too much for me to handle. I reluctantly enlisted the help of Cat and Loki.

IMG_0030.JPG
    Cat got bored and left, Loki proved ineffective. I had to bring out the heavy hitters...

IMG_0031.JPG
    Hulk smashed the package (and Loki) hard enough to split it wide open. Santa repossessed Loki's spear and his dark reign began.

IMG_0035.JPG
    What's this? A Series 8 Minifig Blind Bag... could it be!? A second Santa!

IMG_0037.JPG
    Guess which is my Secret Santa new arrival? :P

IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg

A note! With some more note. And some closure.

IMG_0033.jpg

A buncha AMERICA YEEEEAH and CANADIAN YEEEEAH! candy! :D:D

IMG_0039.jpg

Brick candy oh my! I wonder how many child chokings this will indirectly cause? :O

IMG_0045.jpg

This one feels kinda gay

IMG_0046.jpg

Looks kinda gay too!

IMG_0047.jpg

Woah, a LEGO BOOK! That's pretty gay dude. I love it <3

IMG_0048.jpg

Lego Saint Effin Nick meets his ancestor and stabs him.

IMG_0049.jpg

One final thing. It's round. I ripped the paper off to reveal...

IMG_0050.jpg

I don't even. okangamg]sagh

I love it. Thank you so much. :D

I flipped that bad boy over to reveal Santa's truest identity;

IMG_0051.jpg

@UEAKcrash you classy devil. Thank you <3<3<3

The assembled hoard;

IMG_0052.jpg

Also Lego Hulk really digs this strange 'merican bubble wrap;

IMG_0053.jpg

Ok, I'm home now so I can properly respond to this in far too much detail. First off, I totally put a rough dotted line where it would be easiest and safest to cut into the package along the top but it looks like it got covered in documentation! Whoops! I sent the package off exactly a week ago on 12/11, so it took 7 days to travel from the US to UK! That's gotta be a secret santa record or something!

I was feeling around the minifig bin for a Santa and it looks like I guessed right! Then I saw you got one in the Lego thread and kind of hoped it wasn't. But good save with the knife!

That note stunk up my entire house and clothes from burning the edges. I stuffed it in last second before taping it and running to the post office and I was reeeally hoping they wouldn't notice the burning smell coming from the box about to be shipped overseas and myself.

I hope the candy isn't common around your area or anything. I felt like I was getting some lame stuff because it is SUPER common around here, but I talked to another UKian and they gave me a few hints. The brick candy was an impulse buy that I had to pick up when I went for the minifig and book. The UNREAL bar was something that I had seen a video for it before and it was the first time finding it in stores, so I had to get you one too.

The book was my wife's find, actually! We were shopping around Toys-R-Us for gifts and she spotted it. I read through it and thought it was pretty interesting. I even poked in your general direction trying to make sure you didn't have it already. I asked earlier in the thread about making custom minifigs for an idea I had but ended up passing on it because I was in waaaay over my head with that stuff. I had something Walking Dead inspired in mind.

As for the plate, I had to do some super stalking and looking up character wikis and all that to confirm if it would be a good choice or not. I honestly don't know anything about the series so I had to do some research into it. I googled "Derpy Hooves Guitar" and managed to find that picture, which seemed perfect for you! My sister actually works at a pottery painting shop and was super proud of the work I did on that. She told me she never sees neat things like that coming through. The outline came out much lighter than I anticipated, unfortunately, but I think it turned out good. It's hard working with glazes!

I have never seen that type of bubble wrap before in my life though. My sister gave us that chunk when we picked up our pottery we did. It was hard not popping up.

And then there was the video...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnxIsebqMJE

I had WAAAY too much fun making this. All the voices are me. I recorded the Santa lines first and then went over it again and did the whispers in each pass. The panning makes it sooo much creepier. I tried to give each whisper-voice "elf" it's own personality. I uploaded an "elf only" track here. My favorite is the hyper one that is mostly in the left channel. Then I talked to a jam-mate about doing a little doom-metal styled jam based around Santa Claus is Coming to Town. I did the drums and he did the guitar. Speaking of drums, I was worried I gave myself away a bit with my gift-get post since my drums were in the background of most of the pictures! Anyway, we did that song in one take, completely improv beyond the first melody line. We were cracking up when I did the drum fill at 4:49 because I was dragging it back into the song again.

Then we went back over it again and my friend did the messy bass line (he isn't a bass player.) I then went over the spoken part and did the guitar tremolo wankings to give it some more depth, not planning on any keyboards. I slapped the two parts together (right where the song cuts in) and did a quick mix of the whole thing. Ran into some technical problems here and there, and planned on working on it some more. Then I had the idea of asking a friend of mine who lives downstate from me who happens to be in school to be a composer if he could add a keyboard track to it, expecting him to be too busy. To my surprise he was super-stoked to work on it and crammed it in in between classes, doing an amazing job, in my opinion. I had only asked him to do some background keyboarding over the song part, and he went full-balls over the whole track, improvising in between spoken parts (which I thought turned out pretty kick ass.) The bad part was that he recorded it right on top of the track which meant no more mixing and I had to deal with what I left plus some of the issues that had popped up when he recorded (some of the crackles.) I'm very happy with it overall though. It's actually one of the first times I've ever publicly posted any of my music/ drumming so I have been super paranoid about it.

The best part about that song though, is that it looks like I may have accidentally started a band because of it. My guitarist friend was stoked to have done it and we both really liked the style, and the keyboardist has offered to record for us at any time. So we decided to start a doom/ stoner/ sludge metal band called Black Slug. I've been trying to get something like this going for a few years now, so thanks for helping me jump start it! :)

The other track I sent you was this song slowed down and pitch corrected even lower, which I then went over and put a drum track on top of and mixed the whole thing with a few effects thrown in.

Special props to my wife for putting up with listening to this creepy stuff played over and over as I worked on it.

Overall I had a ton of fun working on all of your stuff, it helps having a Santee who is into some of the same things as you!

• Options
    AnarchyAnarchy Registered User regular
    Ooo, just got proxy'ed reassuring me something is on its way. Delightful editable treats are hinted at. I really hope it arrives before I leave on Saturday.

"Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Giftget_zps23212311.gif
    I came home tonight to see my boy holding a strange package from lands far to the south. (I am in Canada though so everything is south.)
    IMG_5026_zps3439468d.jpg

Inside I found strange instructions
    IMG_5030_zps89817e60.jpg
    Nice Claptrap reference very apropos as both my wife and I are keeping busy playing Borderlands 2.

As for the actual gifts
    IMG_5031_zps03014e3f.jpg
    What a nice assortment of southern cooking.
    -Jambalaya Mix
    -Cornbread mix
    -Gravy mix
    -Buttermilk Biscuit mix
    -Chili Seasoning
    These look quite awesome and I can't wait to start using them.

And what's this two more items
    IMG_5032_zpsb02fb8cd.jpg

Nice two more games off my wishlist.
    IMG_5034_zps31aad757.jpg

Thank you for these, I built up a bit of a backlog and I am trying to work through it before getting new games but now that I have these there is nothing preventing them from jumping the queue.

Note: No baby was harmed while unwrapping gifts. The cat remained uncooperative and thus absent.

Thank you very much CloudEagle, you gave me a very good haul.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    That's ok, your baby is adorable.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Baby is uncertain about southern cuisine!

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Metchsteeks. :^:

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    UK Santee, your presents are wrapped! Tonight I will type a note, and if all goes well it will be in the mail tomorrow.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I finished the first of the Mistborn books over the weekend.
    I've got to say again, Santa: Thanks!

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    I have been a bad santa. My target is not very stalkable, of the systems he has, he either has most games I'd pick, or has systems I know nothing of. I have some trinkets picked out, but they're pretty trinkety, and I want meat.

Would a package of "These are my favorite things, and I think you'll like 84.925% of them" be cool, or should I santa up and stalk harder?

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    It's the thought that counts, Madpoet.

• Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    Santee, UPS tells me your package was delivered!

• Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    Giftget.gif

I have presents!
    A wild package appeared! Luckily, Cactuar was there to attack it.
    img0937m.jpg

Get out of there Cactuar, you're no cat!
    img0939zc.jpg

Cactuar is shocked the larger packaged contained three smaller ones!
    img0940vj.jpg

A mysterious note! And a game you say?!
    img0944c.jpg

Why it's Persona 4 Arena! I've been wanting to pick this up for a while, awesome!
    img0945u.jpg

And word of graphic novels? Most excellent!
    img0951hc.jpg

Fables: Legends in Exile! I love Fables but I hadn't had a chance to read this one yet!
    img0952vd.jpg

And the first volume of Preacher?! You spoiled me too much Santa! I've heard awesome things about this series.
    img0953no.jpg

The whole haul:
    img0954hn.jpg

My wonderful santa was @Mace1370 ! Thank you so much! You really are awesome! Plus those cookies you sent were fantastic. Best Santa!

Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Posting to let you guys know that i have finished the Legend of Eli Monpress. Its pretty cool, if you mixed wizards with Lupin the 3rd, you would probably get this.

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Madpoet wrote: »
    I have been a bad santa. My target is not very stalkable, of the systems he has, he either has most games I'd pick, or has systems I know nothing of. I have some trinkets picked out, but they're pretty trinkety, and I want meat.

Would a package of "These are my favorite things, and I think you'll like 84.925% of them" be cool, or should I santa up and stalk harder?

Speaking as someone who is probably not so stalkable, I think it'd be totally rad to get a package of someone else's favourite stuff.

• Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    Holy hells, Santa @Grove strikes again! We have a take three of...

GiftGet.gif

This round it is

jade_zps17bc8ab0.png

I'm scared. Santa hates me. I've seen movies with hateful Santas in them. They tend to end all... chansaw-y.

Don't hate me Santa! I'll play more games. As soon as I kick whatever crud is infesting my respiratory system.

In all seriousness, thank you! This is exactly the game I needed to round out my Bioware collection. I will play more games, honest, but the holiday season has been nuts. Work nuttiness (parent conferences, report cards, observations) and home nuttiness (Christmastime with a nearly 8 year old...wheeeee! And trying to go Christmas shopping while still partially gimped from a compound leg fracture in may).

I have 11 glorious days off coming up. Gaming is on the agenda, I've been loving the hell out of Orcs Must Die 2, in particular, so thanks again for that!

PS: I teach teh histories. Fuck engrish!

JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Giftget.gif

Day 9! Santa is tireless.

ZUZqul.png

Thank you!

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Giftget_zps23212311.gif

A WILD PACKAGE APPEARS
    ss1rv.jpg

SOME SORT OF XMAS NOTE FROM LORD SANTA... BUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN???
    ss2xg.jpg

O HOLY NIGHT FUCKING SHIT
    ss3ly.jpg

FLAWLESS VICTORY. GIFTALITY.
    ss4uz.jpg

Santa, you have done a most excellent job. I was VERY close to buying Scribblenauts just the other day! Were you watching me??

Your X-Mas note seemed to have your for realsies name only... which I edited out. Reveal yourself!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Not a gift get, more a gift set! I'm all ready for Saturday, hopefully can end this downer streak this week.
    3uagl.jpg

Big Classy on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Glad you liked it, @handkor ! If you're feeling adventurous, try the biscuits and gravy together with some spicy ground sausage.

Meanwhile, for me it's part four of

Giftget_zps23212311.gif
    A deadly weapon of the orient appears! Or a cardboard tube, whichever.

IMG_0944_zps6ceb0d38.jpg

Inside is a note...

IMG_0945_zps68af8207.jpg

And money for frames! Totally understand how shipping the frames themselves would have been a pain in the ass, but still, doing that is above and beyond.

So what's in there...

IMG_0946_zpsa4feb9de.jpg

Mega Man! And in a style that looks like it would be on the side of an arcade machine. Love the Wiley Kong. Okay, guess he dug that up from a long-buried thread...

IMG_0947_zps5c445763.jpg

Dr. Orpheus! Damn dude, you did some research! This is guaranteed to make my man cave more dramatic.

So the final tally is:

Part 1: Minecraft

Part 2: FTL

Part 3: Four different homebrewed beers

Part 4: Mega Man poster, Dr. Orpheus poster, and frames

And loads of puzzling! Truly an awesome experience.

But... once again, I'm a lame puzzle-ee. I've tried several different QR code scanners on my iPhone, and tried submitting several different versions of photos of it to online QR decoders. None of them worked. I don't know if the crease in the letter is defeating them or what, but I can't get to the end! Ack.
    photo_zpsb322671a.jpg

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Wow, both of those posters are awesome.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    Giftget_zps23212311.gif
    A WILD PACKAGE APPEARS
    ss1rv.jpg

SOME SORT OF XMAS NOTE FROM LORD SANTA... BUT WHAT DOES IT MEAN???
    ss2xg.jpg

O HOLY NIGHT FUCKING SHIT
    ss3ly.jpg

FLAWLESS VICTORY. GIFTALITY.
    ss4uz.jpg

Santa, you have done a most excellent job. I was VERY close to buying Scribblenauts just the other day! Were you watching me??
    Your X-Mas note seemed to have your for realsies name only... which I edited out. Reveal yourself!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha. Thats actually my roommates name. We use his amazon account for the prime membership :] I hope you like it, I was really worried you might have gotten it already. It seemed like you were up to date buying a bunch of wiiu games. My girlfriend and I made cookies and were just going to ship them with the game but they came out suuuper shitty due to some terrible mix we bought instead of actually using dough like normal people :\

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Shit, where can I get me some of those?

Also, the stipend he sent, is it just money or a gift certificate to a frame store or something?

edit:

That's often the best thing, actually. A lot of us are at a point in our lives where maybe we might buy ourselves the games and things we like already.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    @Lindsey Lohan - wow.

Gift get post tomorrow. This package was way too incredible. I love this community.

SkyTurnsRed on
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    @cloudeagle Hard to say what trickery is afoot here, although I suspect the QR-code itself isn't the trick ... It does look to be a simple V1 code.
    Of course, all other puzzles considered, it's probably a top-down map of your Minecraft server, and some clever means of revealing some further buried treasure. >_>

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    @cloudeagle Yay glad you liked it! I'm kinda jealous of the Orpheus print myself.
    @cooljammer00 I got them from this gallery. They've got tons of cool stuff.

Also I'm pretty sure you'll need the last letter to solve this one.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    OKay finally sent my stuff out. Had to waffle a bit over some odds and ends, but whatever.

steam_sig.png