As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Baldur's Gate] BG3 from Larian is on its way!

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Do we know yet whether we can carry over characters from BG:EE to BG2 the way we can with Tutu? I would think we should given that EE is like BG in Tutu, but has it been confirmed one way or the other?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EckoEcko Registered User regular
    Last I heard, you can import BG:EE characters in to BG2 just fine, though I haven't tried it myself.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    was just about to try exporting and then importing into bg2 and then i see a new patch for bg:ee, from the way its worded "adjusted intro video due to customer feedback" seems like they patched in the missing line that was weirdly cut. UI is apparently touched up too so hopefully no more awful blurry hud that kills my eyes.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    just tried it and yeah importing works fine, new soundsets and portraits wont carry over unless you mod them into bg2, but items and stats and bio will just fine (well so long as its not new items from the ee)

ui is still blurry though, and the intro seems to have added the quote at the start, cant tell if it added the missing line since it goes so fast and the intro seems to skip alot now, probably my system with all the tabs i have open though.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    cmdchicken wrote: »
    So you know, like a friend of mine was asking and uhhhmm this guy he like wants to know if you're going to level a wizard slayer/thief when should you dual class?

Because I've this guys' never dual classed and is curious.

Ohgodohgod

Levels 9, 12, or 13, take your pick*. Level 9 will have you with 26% magic resist and get you your Fighter levels back quicker (which may be a downside with Wizard Slayer). Level 12 Fighter will get you to 32% resist, give 3 more THAC0, a bit more HP, and another weapon proficiency point, and level 13 gives 34% resist, another THAC0, and another half-attack per round. Unless my math is completely wrong, all three options will get you to 39 Thief, which is the highest Thief you can get if you're not a pure class. (39 requires 6.38 million XP, while 40 requires the full 8 million)

Personally, I'd go 13 Fighter to switch over, if only to lessen the amount of time you have to spend under Fighter/Thief without Use Any Item.

If you're not on BGEE, be sure to install a fix that allows Wizard Slayer spell failure to work on ranged attacks as well.

*For any future reference, any time you're your friend is mulling over what level to dual over from Fighter to another class, these three levels are going to pretty much always be the most common suggestions.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    SPORKY!

NEVER THROW ANY SHINY PANTS AWAY IN ANY BG GAME

you will thank me.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    I think I will give up on this Paladin. You level so slowly.

Maybe Fighter, dualed to Thief at 13 as mentioned above. I like simple classes, and if I'm going to dual Imoen to Mage pretty early on (level five, say) I'll need a thief for BG2...

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    quarthinos wrote: »
    Vic wrote: »
    Part of the reason I want to play this is to see different implementations of D&D rules (just finished up Path of Radiance). And third edition OGL stuff is still free for people to use and adapt to games of their own...

I'm not a master programmer or anything though. Just a dream.

EDIT: Speaking of things that suck in second edition:

- The 18/xx system for strength only.
    - Different XP amounts for different class levels...although that does remove some of my RPG compulsion to keep everyone at the same XP amount all the time.
    - Dual classing being different from multi classing, and all of it tied in to race for some reason.

THAC0 sucks but when the computer handles it all for you it's a fun historical system to see in use.

I would add to that the way stats work. Most don't give any bonuses below 15, meaning a character with 14 in constitution, charisma and dexterity is basically the same as one with 10 in them. Add to that the fact that wis and int are essentially useless to non-casters and you are basically demanding that players min-max. 3rd edition did a lot to improve things, and 4e took another great leap.

4e only took a great leap if you want to play an MMO on your tabletop. Simpler != more fun to me.

Urge to post anti-4E grognard bingo card....rising.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Rehashing years-old arguments about 4e is so not relevant to this thread, especially when Vic's original post was completely misinterpreted in the first place.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Fine. Instead I'll ask, has there been word about changing anything in the BG1->BG2 transition if/when BG2EE happens? I recall BG2 being really bad about tracking anything you actually did in BG1 when you imported. For instance, Jaheira shows up in Irenicus' dungeon and acts like you spent the last game traveling together and fighting evil, regardless of alignment, actual characters used, and I'm fairly sure, whether or not she was *DEAD* in your BG1 game (which has frequently been the case for me).

It'd be cool if importing a save would make dead/absent characters from BG1 have a least slightly different dialogue that recognized this.

• Options
    There are a couple of "Hey, aren't you dead?" moments. I think one of them is pretty funny as a character (Edwin? Viconia?) explicitly calls out "Raise Dead is a thing, moron!" when you ask why they aren't dead.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    SPORKY!

you will thank me.

Whoa ok whoa thanks

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Shiny pantaloons are the height of good taste.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    There are a couple of "Hey, aren't you dead?" moments. I think one of them is pretty funny as a character (Edwin? Viconia?) explicitly calls out "Raise Dead is a thing, moron!" when you ask why they aren't dead.

Raise dead makes sense, but BG2, opens with Jaheira always being there, and always talking about your adventures together, even if (as happened in my last pre-EE run) you never even meet her in BG1.

• Options
    Well they had to give you some characters for your party to get you out of the intro dungeon, and with two dozen NPCs in BG1 to choose from, they went the safe route of giving you Imoen (whom you start BG1 with), Jaheira (whom Gorion told you to find), Minsc (one of the most memorable BG1 NPCs), and a new character.

At some point they had to buckle down and choose a baseline starting point for everyone and work from there.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Yeah they went with the most "plot relevant" BG1 NPCs as your default party. It works well enough given that this is before the days of Mass Effect trying to incorporate both character and setting alterations.

• Options
    Yeah, it was fine *then*. I'm just saying it'd be cool if they could do something with that in the inevitable EE. Like, read your save and pull your actual endgame party in.

• Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    Question: if I buy the Enhanced Edition on PC, can I then transfer my character over to vanilla BG 2?

Also, should I get the Enhanced Edition in the first place, or just get mods? I have never played either of these and I'm really interested.

• Options
    EE has new content/characters along with most, if not all of the important mods (which for me was mostly just BG2 classes/kits and resolution changes). Not sure about transferring from EE to vanilla.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, it was fine *then*. I'm just saying it'd be cool if they could do something with that in the inevitable EE. Like, read your save and pull your actual endgame party in.

maybe... bgt does this, if those characters had died in bg1 they wont be in bg2 (at least the readme claims so, never tested it... curious to what happens to certain quests from those characters) and you start with the party you ended bg1 with regardless of if they have bg2 content or not. (again might get abit weird with those other mods which add bg1 npcs into bg2, like xan for instance)

so far i've always ended bgtutu and my last bgt game with imoen/khalid/jahiera/minsc/dynaheir, its a pretty solid party.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Question: if I buy the Enhanced Edition on PC, can I then transfer my character over to vanilla BG 2?

Also, should I get the Enhanced Edition in the first place, or just get mods? I have never played either of these and I'm really interested.

yes, as i tested at the top of this page, it works perfectly fine. just keep in mind the new portraits and soundsets wont carry over or any new items and that your char/bio files are in the my docs now instead of the main dir and you'll need to move the save game/character file into bg2 character/save dirs it works fine. even the bio transfers perfectly.

as far as bg:ee goes, there lot of patches that fixes most problems now and mods are coming out slowly, scs should be out soon and bg1npc which is pretty damn required imo should be out in a few months time. the hud is big and blurry at high res's but there is a mod that descales it (and recolours if you dont like the default)

in fact most of the current working mods seem to be gui ones.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    SPORKY!

you will thank me.

Whoa ok whoa thanks

I'm serious man you neeeeeed those bronze pantaloons and silver whatnots and golden thingamajigs
    you'll thank me once you reach the BG2 expansion pack.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    6tbc7.jpg

damn those men fellows!

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    After my last game with the Avenger fizzled out, I have no idea what I wanna play now. I'm thinking a "canon" run with a Blade, or either a Kensai/Mage playthrough.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    What weapons for a fighter? (to be dualed to Thief at 13) in a BG1 run? Party members for BG1 will be Imoen, Minsc, Dynaheir, Jaheira, Khalid.

• Options
    edited December 2012
    Longswords or shortswords, take your pick.

Also at least one point in short bows.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Yeah they went with the most "plot relevant" BG1 NPCs as your default party. It works well enough given that this is before the days of Mass Effect trying to incorporate both character and setting alterations.

Quest for Glory did imports before they were cool 8-)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

Quest for Glory did imports before they were cool 8-)

Curse of the Azure Bonds did imports before QfG II did. 8-)

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Archers so crazy.

THACO of 3 and 4 attacks per round with a composite longbow and +1 arrows. At level 8, at the start of BG2 having just escaped Irenicus' lair.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Pair the Archer with Mazzy, both of them with +3 arrows and Whirlwind Attack.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    God damn this is a stupid fight in SCS1.

I'm fighting the
    amazon assassins in Chapter 4
    , and this is a bullshit fight.

There's four of them: two Clerics and two Thieves. Both Clerics auto-buff, naturally, but the Thieves flat-out cheat. They auto-stealth at the start of combat despite being within my LOS (they have no invisibility potions on them) and don't come out of stealth until they make a successful attack. One of the Thieves is high enough of a level to have a x3 backstab multiplier, which is guaranteed to insta-kill my level 4 Imoen, and one of them comes equipped with infinite Darts of Wounding, which don't miss. And by "don't miss", I mean the thief throws a dart, there is no attack roll, and a person takes 4 damage and a no-save bleed.

This is stupid.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    are those the ones that
    start to hunt you down after clearing the mines and can pop up any time any where?
    if so, yeah fuck them. i did it on old version long ago in tutu and on my last bgt run the game glitched and they never showed up after reloading 7 times as if the game took pity on me.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    are those the ones that
    start to hunt you down after clearing the mines and can pop up any time any where?
    if so, yeah fuck them. i did it on old version long ago in tutu and on my last bgt run the game glitched and they never showed up after reloading 7 times as if the game took pity on me.

Yeah, normally they are right outside the exit to the mines, but SCS makes it so that they can pop up anywhere. I encountered them in Beregost this time.

I finally beat them by using Khalid (fighter/mage) with a Knave's robe as bait, since the Item Revisions version makes him immune to backstab. I still lost Jaheira when fully half my party was Commanded/Held, but Imoen got some damn lucky backstabs in using Invisibility potions which killed the thieves.

It's still complete bullshit that the dart-throwing Thief has a 100% hit rate with her darts though.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    And that is why barbarians are glorious

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    I've always wanted to try a Barbarian in a party of mine some time, but I could never really find a spot for one.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    damn multiclassing takes forever to level up. im starting to regret having the xp mod at 75% for creature and quests... about to hit the mines and my pc is still level 1. imoen is fucking level 3 and the rest are just about to break to level 2. :|

considering some quick class changes in shadow keeper, knock him back down to a fighter or i could start again... also this is a human multiclass which im just realizing is ilegal anyway but i was able to select it in the character creation... gotta be a mod and probably tobex because i remember that shit being hardcoded.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    and im not sure which mod it is but reputation seems fucked. it got reduced to 9 on leaving candlekeep (which is what i wanted mod wise) but its not moving at all. either virtue or scs 1/4 rep increase is fucking things up (theres not even anything where i can see how long this would take)

and at 9 rep my chaotic good pc is getting evil dreams and powers and its just weird as hell.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    Well while I wait for BG to go on sale I started Icewind Dale. I love it! I love this style of game, it's been a long time since I played one.

Everyone seems to recommend dual classing for everyone all the time, but I had to put in some multiclasses to have other races in there and to have some magic early on. I have a paladin, a ranger -> cleric, fighter -> cleric, fighter -> mage, fighter/thief and mage/thief. Actually my fighter/thief probably should've just been a bard at this rate but bards are always the worst.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    IWD is fun but it's evil. So merciless. The background paintings and overall art direction are gorgeous. It's a bit tiresome, though, a long slog of pure 2nd ed low level combat.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Well I may have a hard time appreciating the art at 1920x1080 but it sure is going to make it easier to tell where I am.

This discussion has been closed.