As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

STEAM | Christmas is over; you may resume buying solely for yourself.

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited December 2012 in Games and Technology
DNfgD.png

vmtdB.gif

wB8BA.jpg

NYkZ8.png
fzsT8.pngtErbf.png
XsRkA.jpg

facebook.gif twitter.gif

fzsT8.pngCoping with Steam: Artistic Commentary on Our Shared AfflictiontErbf.png
n6r4F.jpg

tMRzb.jpg

xHlDY.jpg

JG9rG.jpg

indiegala.jpg

steamthemall.jpg

steamdiscs.jpg

paydaycomic.jpg

steamgifting.jpg

neverfinish.jpg

coupons.jpg

P9CBk.jpg

fpota.jpg

steamprayer.jpg

trainsj.jpg

contestvd.jpg

LHrXd.png

l4W8s.jpg

fzsT8.pngMost Frequently Asked QuestionstErbf.png

1. Steam's search tool is cumbersome and not very informative. Is there a website, other than Steam's, I can go to find out what's on sale?
Steam Sales is great for current sales and for the history of each game (when it has been on sale before, etc).
SteamGameSales.com is good for what's on sale now.

2. Can I register this copy of (Insert Game Here) on Steam?
Here's a list of games you can register on Steam. You can always add a non-Steam game to your Steam games list, so that people can see you playing it. You can also use this to add your own shortcuts with fake names to your Steam games list to make it look like you're playing Episode 3. Hilarious, right?

3. If I buy a game pack that already includes a game I own, can I gift that game?
Not usually. You're welcome to ask in this thread, although if you Google it it'll probably be answered even faster. Valve games are typically the only packs that let you do this, and even then it sometimes doesn't work.

4. Why isn't {Insert Game Here} available in my horrible little corner of the earth?
Many Steam games might be unavailable in your country if you have the temerity to live outside of the United States. This is not Steam's fault. Regional game availability is determined solely by the publisher, who should be the source of your ire. Gifting works regardless of region so you might find some helpful person in North America who can gift you the game. This very thread is a great place to ask!

5. How do I get an invite to the Penny Arcade Steam group?
The most convenient way is to just post a link to your Steam profile page (getting one of the swank signatures described below makes it easy) and ask for an invite. Just as a word of advice, we tend to prefer that you be a regular contributor to get an invite to the group. The rule of thumb is 6 months of activity on the forums. We are well known for our generosity, and like to make sure any new additions are here for the good of the community, and not to leech during sales. That said, we're a friendly group, so make yourself at home and start posting and you'll be there in no time!

6. As a Classy Person I am giving away a game on SteamGifts. How do I get the pretty picture to post in the thread?
wCby7.png?1

7. My Steam Chat Font is Too Small!

fzsT8.pngSome Words on GiftingtErbf.png

If you receive a game or pack via a gift or a contest, remember to thank that person either through a PM or by announcing it in the thread. This is not optional. We are classy gentlemen and will act as such.

Steam's new gifting features allow you to store up games in your gift bank when you purchase them, instead of having to email yourself the gift link. It'll be an option during checkout.

A few things to remember as a giftee:
1. Make it possible to track you from PA Forums to Steam. A link directly to your steam ID is usually the most convenient. Remember, your Steam ID is different than your steam name. If you just include text to your steam name, we have to search and scroll through 5 pages to find you (and we may not find you if you're not using the same name/avatar combo!).

2. Make it possible to track you from Steam to PA Forums. Best bet is using similar avatar/name. Understandably, some people don't want to do that. In that case, you should have "I'm ______ on Penny Arcade Forums!" in your profile blurb.

Generally speaking, if you're selected for a gift from a stranger on here it will be, usually, one of two ways:

You will either post in the thread (so they will go to your profile to friend you and then to the store to send a gift.
—or—
Someone will want to gift a certain game and go to the store page where you can see everyone who has it on their wishlist.

Also, remember that a gifter can see when you added a game to your wishlist. If you add it on the day of the sale, you might have a smaller chance of being gifted it than someone who has been interested in it since release. Gifters should also make sure they are identifiable from Steam to PA Forums. Some people are shy and are too nervous to message a gifter and say "hey thanks, I have no idea who you are on forums!"

fzsT8.pngAn Important Word on ConteststErbf.png

If you decide to run or participate in a giveaway contest for gift copies of games, please remember that all entry submissions must now be made via PM. The forum mods have stated that pages of the thread being filled with pictures, videos, etc. submitted as contest entries will lead to such contests being banned. So please, for the sake of the thread – take it to PMs.

fzsT8.pngHelpful StufftErbf.png

Steam Mover
Does your Steam library have 800 games? Do you wish you could move some of those games to different hard drives instead of deleting them entirely and then downloading them again when you want to play them? Steam Mover is here for you.

Steam Price Guide
Do you have the misfortune to live somewhere other than America? Steam hates you! Luckily, this cool website with prices for Steam games all around the world is here to help, so you can know if you want to ask an American friend to buy the game for you or not. Hint: you probably do.

Aussies
You need this program.

It reconfigures your Windows IPSEC settings (run it as an admin) to block out all but the servers which don't count towards your download quota on Steam. Now supports a bunch of ISPs through a graphical interface.

Basically guarantees you won't add to your download quota with Steam.

Also: Download TCPview: TCPView

Then, use TCPview to close all Steam TCP servers (this is important, NOT the UDP ones, just the TCP ones). Steam will then reconnect to a different server, which will hopefully get you a better speed. If you don't go faster in a couple of seconds, retry until you get a speed you like.

I've also been told you Aussies might want to try Angus Wolfcastle's SteamManager. Setting it up is easy is you follow the instructions here. If you find you're still being charged for your steam downloads, try changing the setting like in this link here.

fzsT8.pngCool Community Add-OnstErbf.png

Steam Signatures
With such a cool service, someone must have done some extra things to build on it. The forums have one such man, who made some super cool Steam signatures. Suds is his name and killing is his game. Except for the killing. The signatures automatically use backgrounds for the games and the correct icon. Pretty neat, and they're 100% free!

Sample signature:
steam_sig.png

Steam Cleaner
Steam Cleaner is a handy little tool to remove all those .NET installers and DirectX installers and so on that every Steam game downloads because it's apparently 1927 in computer years and nobody has figured out how to let you install a Steam game without going through a 12 step process to reinstall a bunch of stuff you installed yesterday when you played another Steam game.

Steam Calculator
You can also use a script on his Steam Calculator page to see how much your Steam account would be worth if you had taken advantage of some obscure, arcane combination of special deals that nobody could ever have taken advantage of. Or something sort of like that.

Steam Roulette
Having trouble picking a game out of your burgeoning [strike]backlog[/strike] gamebank to play? Let VicWhiten's Steam Roulette decide! Just type in your Steam community ID (easier if you set up a custom URL on your Steam profile page), and Steam Roulette will read your library and randomly pick one game every time you hit "Spin the Wheel!" It even connects to Steam to allow you to install or start the game with a single click.

fzsT8.pngWhat's All This About "Serving the Newell?"tErbf.png
It started with this comic:
steamregulator.jpg
And now it is our unofficial official motto.

@Lindsey Lohan's Steam Alphabet song:

A is for Amnesia, Hope you didn't need sleep.
B is for Bad Rats, gifted to you by some creep.
C is for Critter Crunch with rainbow vomitting Biggs
D is for Dead Island where weapons snap like they're twigs.
E is EDF making arachniphobes fit
F is for Faerie Solitaire (you know that you played it)
G is for Grand Theft of anything with tires
H is for Halflife cause it was sort of required
I is Ion Assault as not much else starts with I
J is Jade Empire that a sale finally allowed you to buy
K is a Kingdom that made Rhode Island poor
L is Limbo with spiders galore
M is for Magicka which helps you kill off your friends
N is the Newell who you need to serve to the end
O a game that lets you legally Fling your Offspring
P is for Portal where you can hear GlaDOS sing
Q is Quantum Conundrum where physics makes items fall
R is Rock of Ages where you can play with your balls
S brings Sid Meier whose Civ steals your time without care
T sends you To the Moon, is there dust in the air?
U gives an Uplink where you hack systems with ease
V gives us VVVVVV which has multiple Vs
W has the Worms, flinging grenades like a jerk
X is for X-Com whose revival actually worked
Y is for Ys which no one knows how to say
Z is for Zeno Clash the weirdest game you can play
Oh, and remember:
RPSCB.jpg

And also remember...
lJ0tJ.png
Nobody expects the PA Inquisition!

Sterica on

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    NEW THREAD - BUY BLUR AS SOON AS ITS ON SALE.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • kalkal Registered User regular
    continuing form the last thread

yeah O2 is never so much a problem for me either. i never upgrade that. doors i try to work in the first upgrade at sector 4 it just doesn't help. guess i need to abuse the pause button more.

camo_sig.png
  • ColorlessGreenColorlessGreen Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    kal wrote: »
    continuing form the last thread

yeah O2 is never so much a problem for me either. i never upgrade that. doors i try to work in the first upgrade at sector 4 it just doesn't help. guess i need to abuse the pause button more.

Oh, yeah. Pause all the times. If at any point you're trying to do anything other than watch your ship blow their ship up, pause.

edit: Also, to reply to a post in the closed thread, yes it is preferable to just beat down invaders with your awesome melee people, but there's lots of parts of the game with some of the ships where that basically isn't an option, at least without a lot of micro and a lot of potential danger to your hull if you have to take your pilot and gunner off duty or whatever. If you're in a situation where you are losing because of boarders on a regular basis, IMO a level in doors will help with that quite a bit.

ColorlessGreen on
    Hearthstone (NA, EU, Asia): Ceegee#1473 - spectators welcome.
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    Hello, new thread.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Oh, FTL got a patch, I think its to help color blind players.

Asphyxiation is my favorite victory condition.

the patch does a ton of nice stuff, including changing the (terrible) visual cue for the oxygen-less rooms. That ugly orange border is gone, replaced by hazard stripes on the floor. Looks much better.

Also, autofire has been improved. And everything has hotkeys now.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    @Banzai5150 gifted me Sacred 2 which I literally just added to my wishlist minutes ago after hearing G&Ters talk about it. Its like he was just sat there, waiting to pounce, thanks dude! <3

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Just popping in to say I'm ninja gifting here and there when I can... been busy with work right now so not much free time to read the thread.. Stay classy!

p.s. You're welcome Isy.

50433.png?1708759015
  • CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Good night, new thread. I shall sacrifice more green to The Newell in the morning.

xderwsaxganu.png
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Enemy leaves any room that lacks oxygen. With level one doors, it is simple impossible to hurt the enemy in your ship due to o2 loss.

Because if you try it, they will stop attacking the current room and move on.

I mean, if you kill your own crew as much as the enemy boarders, sure. But otherwise, no, it doesn't work.

Yes, they leave the room they're attacking. Which hurts me how? They aren't killing my systems and damaging my hull. I call that a win.

The Zoltan cruiser starts with level 2 doors. I have more trouble starving them with that ship than I do with any of the others I play.

And, considering I only rarely have trouble with boarders on my usual ships, I beg to differ: level one doors work just fine at starving the enemy without losing crewmembers in the process.

• MuppetmanMuppetman Registered User regular
    Totally lost track of the last thread as it moved too fast (and I was silly enough to get some sleep) but let it be known far and wide that @Banzai5150 is a very classy individual who has gifted me SPAZ. Thanks!

camo_sig2-400.png
  • BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Thanks to @HeirTransparent for Renegade Ops! Realness at all time highs!

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    Gamersgate staff are awake. Site is taken down for maintenance.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Enemy leaves any room that lacks oxygen. With level one doors, it is simple impossible to hurt the enemy in your ship due to o2 loss.

I mean, if you kill your own crew as much as the enemy boarders, sure. But otherwise, no, it doesn't work.

Hence Level 2 doors to keep boarders in a room that they can't leave and can't breath in. Then you port your boarding team over to their ship and kill their boarding time and any other crew members. Hence the reason you go board team happy in Engie and Zoltan systems.

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »

Yes, they leave the room they're attacking. Which hurts me how? They aren't killing my systems and damaging my hull. I call that a win.

The Zoltan cruiser starts with level 2 doors. I have more trouble starving them with that ship than I do with any of the others I play.

And, considering I only rarely have trouble with boarders on my usual ships, I beg to differ: level one doors work just fine at starving the enemy without losing crewmembers in the process.

This will be my last post about it, cause I really don't care that much. But what I was responding to was your post saying you can starve enemy boarding parties without upgrading your doors. I am just pointing out that this is, literally, not possible. If the enemy is in a room with low enough oxygen to hurt them, they will leave that room. Unless you remove all the oxygen from your entire ship (thus hurting your own crew as much as the enemy one) they will take extremely minimal damage from walking out of rooms as soon as the O2 levels in that room become critical.

I mean, I guess you can move three of your crew into the med bay and have 0% O2 in your entire ship until the enemy leaves, but taking your pilot/gun/shield/engine guy off their systems will hurt you way more than using 20 scrap on doors...

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »

Assuming that them practically giving the Bethesda catalog away wasn't intentional, I really wouldn't want to be the guy having to tally up the damages right now.

I think I already know the answer to this but... if I buy the THQ bundle can I gift the games I already own - ie SR3, Metro2033 etc?

camo_sig2-400.png
    Tamin wrote: »

This will be my last post about it, cause I really don't care that much. But what I was responding to was your post saying you can starve enemy boarding parties without upgrading your doors. I am just pointing out that this is, literally, not possible. If the enemy is in a room with low enough oxygen to hurt them, they will leave that room. Unless you remove all the oxygen from your entire ship (thus hurting your own crew as much as the enemy one) they will take extremely minimal damage from walking out of rooms as soon as the O2 levels in that room become critical.

I mean, I guess you can move three of your crew into the med bay and have 0% O2 in your entire ship until the enemy leaves, but taking your pilot/gun/shield/engine guy off their systems will hurt you way more than using 20 scrap on doors...

I wasn't talking about completely killing them. As you point out, they can't die from it. It does, however, keep them on the move. I don't need to take everyone off their systems; nor do I need to flush the entire ship. Usually sooner, they will wander into the medbay, which lets someone kill them. Preferably my shield guy, as they always have missiles and he's not helpful there.

Meh.

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    No. There's some THQ sales over at Amazon that give you separate keys you may want to look at though.

Incindium wrote: »

Assuming that them practically giving the Bethesda catalog away wasn't intentional, I really wouldn't want to be the guy having to tally up the damages right now.

The site still isn't really loading for me, but the price says $96 for me now.

• Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    @envoy1 gifted me Dishonored at just the right time! A few seconds more and I would've finished the purchase :D

All I can say is - that was certainly not dishonorable!

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• VoroVoro Registered User regular
    God damn these flash sales are the worst. I want to sleep, I want to think before dropping money on RPGMaker, but I don't know if it'll ever be a daily sale. Why?!

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Dammit self, stop being tempted by RPG maker, you'd never have time to finish a project anyway!

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    IMO, RPG Maker is not going to be cheaper any time soon than it is right now.

• Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    Repostin' for new thread
    Giveaway time!

Today in "Games I think you should own" we have...

signature.png

(Open to G&T Steam group)

Enter away! Ends Christmas morning, as seems fitting.

camo_sig2.png
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Just as I was leaving to my last day of work I found that classy @Lord_Snot had gifted me Ys Origins!
    Thanks man! SOaTQ.png

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    IMO, RPG Maker is not going to be cheaper any time soon than it is right now.

I was suggesting to a certain someone intimately familiar with the RPG Maker programs that a separate thread that compiles all the guides, tools, and custom assets out there would be real handy, especially in helping one another and possibly share input on works in progress.

He believes it violates the "advertising a self-made game" rule, though, even though it would technically be more about the program itself and how to get the most out of it.

Anyway, as sorely tempted as I am to jump in at that price, I just don't have the confidence that I can afford right now in light of possible future deals this week. Hopefully it'll pop back up again later on in the sale's last days.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    vegeta_666 wrote: »
    I managed to get through on Gamersgate! Twas my Dark Souls budget but it was too good of a deal to pass up. I actually own most of the games (and have promised Skyrim and Dishonored already to another G&Ter) soooo:

signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png

Open til Christmas Day, PA G&T Adventure Team.

Quoting myself and reposting these for the new thread.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    So much wintery goodness.

$2.49 for Witcher: Enhanced Edition and $11 for the sequel? You bet your ass I'm finally going to play it.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    I managed to get through on Gamersgate! Twas my Dark Souls budget but it was too good of a deal to pass up. I actually own most of the games (and have promised Skyrim and Dishonored already to another G&Ter) soooo:

signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png

It costs $96 for that bundle now.

:(

• harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    You guys should know that @CuvisTheConqueror is a righteous dude. He gave me (unprompted AND once-refused, mind you!) an entire Bindind of Isaac bundle when I was only lacking the DLC. Super cool!

PS - To the Moon, god damn you, you managed to do to me what even The Walking Dead could not. I'll see you guys in the morning, I need to go fuck my wife. You know what I'm talking about, you bunch of tear-peddlers.

steam_sig.png
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    A pity I missed that Gamersgate bundle too, even if I already have half of the games. I tried to get it before leaving home but the servers were dead at that moment, so better luck next time (I have some numbers for today's Christmas lottery draw, so I hope that is my next time :D)

HiT BiT on
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited December 2012

signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png

It costs $96 for that bundle now.

:(
    Damn. I was going to buy that bundle for gifting. Oh well. I'm sure there'll be some good deals next week.

Anyway, here's my giveaway again:

signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    Can anyone name all the 'Publisher packs'? looks like australia is missing out on one and i'm intrested which one it is...

i can see 2k, UBIsoft, SEGA, square enix, Bethesda, THQ and the 'indie super mega pack'.

(post from other thread *whoops*).

1Gn4PNI.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Stolls helped me recreate the Christmas Shoes, only he bought me Dishonored instead of gaudy footwear.

Also, it isn't for my mom, and I'm not really sold on the whole Jesus deal.

So I guess it isn't like it at all, but Stolls is still pretty classy nonetheless.

YL9WnCY.png
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Stolls helped me recreate the Christmas Shoes, only he bought me Dishonored instead of gaudy footwear.

Also, it isn't for my mom, and I'm not really sold on the whole Jesus deal.

So I guess it isn't like it at all, but Stolls is still pretty classy nonetheless.

@Stolls is a true comrade of the zone.

jkZziGc.png
    The Tom Clancy pack - which would be the ones to cherry pick?

camo_sig2-400.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Heroth wrote: »
    Can anyone name all the 'Publisher packs'? looks like australia is missing out on one and i'm intrested which one it is...

i can see 2k, UBIsoft, SEGA, square enix, Bethesda, THQ and the 'indie super mega pack'.

(post from other thread *whoops*).

Valve?

steam_sig.png
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Muppetman wrote: »
    The Tom Clancy pack - which would be the ones to cherry pick?

Chaos Theory. It's fantastic.

jkZziGc.png
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    Dishonored....how I want you, and keep missing you.

This discussion has been closed.