As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Lurker's confessional

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    D&D used to be Everything Else, and SE++ was SE++, then Happenstance and Ribaldry for a bit before returning to be SE++.

Janson on
  • Safety StickSafety Stick Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Most of the time someone's usually said what I would have said and has done so far more eloquently.

These days I just chime in when its dealing with something technical in my field of expertise. Otherwise I'm quite content to read the boards.

Safety Stick on
    5075110276_cc4230e361.jpg
    My other sig sucks as well...
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't post too much except for in threads about music or other pop culture/media. I have opinions about political issues, but they're not particularly well-thought out and I really have no incentive to put them out there just so people can say "no, you're dumb" or "yeah, you're right". I dunno, I used to participate in internet debates/arguments (on other forums), and it used to be something that I was really into, but eventually I just got bored of the whole idea of it. Internet arguments never go anywhere, I never really felt like I was exercising my brain or anything like that, I just felt like I was always going in circles. Now, to me it just seems like a waste of time. Shooting the shit about lighthearted stuff like music or Harry Potter or whatever is always fun, though. I used to participate in the chat thread but I just can't keep up with it. Every now and then I'll poke my head in and say something, but I don't really have the attention span for that kind of thing.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I lurk because I feel that I'd be attacked for posting anything with even a slightly religious tone. This forum isn't exactly friendly to faith.

Samphis on
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Lurker for most of the listed reasons. Also, I'm deathly afraid that I'll post something that I think is relevant, and everyone will point out that they've been taking that into account from post 1, and I'll look like a tard. Well, more of a tard.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Lurker for most of the listed reasons. Also, I'm deathly afraid that I'll post something that I think is relevant, and everyone will point out that they've been taking that into account from post 1, and I'll look like a tard. Well, more of a tard.

Obviously.

VishNub on
  • Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    That's not a terrible habit at all!

Also, good guess on the postcount there. Just over 2K.

Well, of course everyone should be editing their post a bit before sending it in. Editing it to the point where you get frustrated and never actually post it probably isn't a great habit.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I tend to post in the [Chat] thread, mostly because I get along with most of the people there. I will occasionally post in other D&D threads but for the most part I tend to suffer from the same problem other lurkers have - either someone is already putting across an opinion that matches mine, or I don't feel I can add anything particularly insightful to the discussion. Which is a shame, because I love reading the conversations that go on.

I used to be a G&T semi-regular until recently, when the whole atmosphere of that place just changed from a friendly, tech-minded discusson forum to somethign more akin to the GameFAQs forums. Disappointing, but I'm slowly dragging myself away from G&T.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    Sal wrote: »
    The Cat wrote: »
    I mostly live in the chat thread as the other threads are either out of my expertise or not that interesting to me.

It's hard to break the lurking habit at first, because your first xx posts will go unnoticed. Until you can start making cohesive paosts that people pay attention to, lurking is quite attractive.

My first DD post was savaged by Salvation122, I was lucky :P

ITS ALL YOUR FAULT I STAYED, SAL

MUAHAHAHHAAHAHA

Yeah, I think my first confrontation was with Sal as well.

Upon reflection, my choice of name is somewhat unfortunate.

I don't even know who you are.

He's pseudonymously Jack Kerouac, you buffoon!

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited August 2007
    VishNub wrote: »

Obviously.

:cry:

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Charlie_Foxtrot2Charlie_Foxtrot2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Kaputa wrote: »
    It was actually the creepiest things thread (the non-archived one that started in 2004) that got me to start reading the forum.

Yes, Lime'd for the truth.

It's the creepy topic and the lurker topic that gets people to poast here, so WOO!

Also, I fifth or sixth (or whatever number we're on) on poasting mainly in Chat Thread. I only stray when it's the creepy topic or a topic that peaks my interest (and that happens rarely).

I also worry about my grammar. So I try to keep it as short and as sweet as possible. (I'm paranoid about my grammar because of ADHD. My mind moves faster than my hands. Also, I've had this exaggerated image of DnD'ers having monocles. Once they see bad grammar, they're like " HEATHEN, RETARD, MUTANT! AFTER HIM! SACRIFICE HIM TO THE GODS." Yeah, it's a stupid mental image to have. But at least it keeps me from having a grammar of a dumbass.)

Oh and the post modernism thread made me go O_o because I had no clue what the fuck was going on.
    Who decides what post modern and what's not. Seriously.

Charlie_Foxtrot2 on
    logo%20graf%201.jpg
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    But at least it keeps me from having a grammar of a dumbass.

:P

MrMister on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Who decides what post modern and what's not. Seriously.

Poldy.

MrMister on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2007
    MrMister wrote: »
    But at least it keeps me from having a grammar of a dumbass.

:P

You're confirming all the lurkers' fears!

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2007
    *Points and laughs at Charlie's shame*

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    *Points and laughs at Charlie's shame*

You're going to hell.

Hell.

Shinto on
  • MishraMishra Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Now I'm even being denied my lurking. Work has just blocked Penny-Arcade. Damn you Comm Squadron. Damn you to hell, now I'll have to actually do work or something.

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I posted a lot around 04' mostly because of the interesting science threads, though I was active in chat/masturbation threads for awhile. Usually I don't post because I don't have time, and end up reading through all the threads without being able to reply. Same way with the Employee Lounge in G&T. There's just so much entertaining info to read that I forget to hit reply. Luckily the WoW forum kept me interested when I have no time to read anything else.

Elk's past politics threads always drew me back in, oddly enough.

Dyrwen66 on
    Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Obviously.

At least you know I'll always love you.

Sceptre on
  • SabreSabre Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dyrwen66 wrote: »
    Usually I don't post because I don't have time, and end up reading through all the threads without being able to reply. Same way with the Employee Lounge in G&T. There's just so much entertaining info to read that I forget to hit reply.

I have a similar problem. I'll start reading a thread, and find something I want to comment on.... after I read the next thread. Internet forum ADD is a strange condition, but it's how I roll

Now, I'll just post a reply in the State of Israel thread and OOH LOOK SHINEYS....

Sabre on
    PAsig.jpg
    SteamID : Harbinger EVE-O: Jarek Dryayen
  • DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sometimes I'll go into a thread, type something like 2 paragraphs long, then just close the window.

There's something strangely poetic about that.

Dirtchamber on
    edited August 2007
    Sceptre wrote: »

Obviously.

At least you know I'll always love you.

When you're not smooshing my ratses, anyway. :x

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    joshua1 wrote: »
    I have to agree with the intimdating side of things though. I have seen so many people ripped to shreds over such miniscule things like spelling and punctuation.

Also, where the hell do you guys find the time to post so much? Do you do anything BUT post?

It really is neccesary though. I've seen too many forum posters (here or elsewhere, mostly elsewhere since they get eaten here) who'll say shit like "i dont ned grammar here lol I type good in english class but ths isnt class". No, dumbshits, you learn that shit in class so that you can go and apply it to real world situations like this.

Rargh.

Personally, right now I'm working at a job with internet access and an average of 4-6 hours of work to do in an 8 hour day. So here I am.

While I'm not a lurker (maybe if you're looking specifically at D&D), I do have some tendancies to write out complete posts, and then not post them. It's more like all I needed was to write down what I wanted to say, more than actually care about what other people think about it. :P It's pretty common too for me to edit posts a couple times the minute after I post them, since typos seem much more apparent to me after it's been posted.

Scooter on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Samphis wrote: »
    I lurk because I feel that I'd be attacked for posting anything with even a slightly religious tone. This forum isn't exactly friendly to faith.

I wouldn't really respond to this except that I hear it relatively often despite its absurdity.

A) This forum isn't unfriendly to faith. This forum is very unfriendly to people who base arguments in faith, particularly arguments pertaining to policy-making, largely because this forum doesn't like people forcing religion on people through legislation or otherwise. I've never seen someone get attacked for being Christian or for being Jewish or for being Muslim, but I've seen lots of people get attacked for claiming that law books should be xeroxes of the bible. I've also seen people get attacked for lauding their persecution-complexes about.

2) You really don't have anything to say that isn't religious in nature?

ViolentChemistry on
  • FrdztecFrdztec Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The first message board I ever really spent any time on was the Tucker Max message board. It was/is full of elitist alcoholic pricks who would instantly ostracize and belittle anyone new, or anyone who had an opinion any shade different than "Tucker Max is a god and I want to be like him/fuck him."

Frankly, I didn't. I thought that, while some of the topics on the board were interesting and funny, all too often it broke down to these people prattling on and on about how awesome and smart they were, and how horribly fucked everyone else in the world was.

Through the use of rep points, new people were made to feel small and were viciously insulted for often no other reason than they forgot a period or a comma somewhere in their post.

So, keeping this in mind, I was very wary of posting here just in case such things were true on message boards all across the net.

I'm very, very pleased to say that I've found this to not be true here. I mean, people get catty and what not, but this place just doesn't feel so mean-spirited.

Still though, I tend to not post until I have something I feel I can contribute to a thread, or at least something that someone, somewhere will find moderately amusing.

Frdztec on
    sig-587082.jpg
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Frdztec wrote: »
    The first message board I ever really spent any time on was the Tucker Max message board. It was/is full of elitist alcoholic pricks who would instantly ostracize and belittle anyone new, or anyone who had an opinion any shade different than "Tucker Max is a god and I want to be like him/fuck him."

Frankly, I didn't. I thought that, while some of the topics on the board were interesting and funny, all too often it broke down to these people prattling on and on about how awesome and smart they were, and how horribly fucked everyone else in the world was.

I started lurking there around the same time as I did here. The only enjoyable/useful forums in my opinion were the advice board and the all star thread section. It has a very different culture to here though, much stricter mods who weren't really part of the forum more enforcers. I can see the benefits to it but I prefer the way this forum is moderated.

Leitner on
  • ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Samphis wrote: »

I wouldn't really respond to this except that I hear it relatively often despite its absurdity.

A) This forum isn't unfriendly to faith. This forum is very unfriendly to people who base arguments in faith, particularly arguments pertaining to policy-making, largely because this forum doesn't like people forcing religion on people through legislation or otherwise.

Actually, we had a religion discussion thread once that was supposed to be based on talking about your religion, not a debate about religion vs. atheism. It ended pretty early.

People who casually dis religion are given hi5s here, and it doesn't take much for them to pick a fight.

So I wouldn't say there is a neutral tone to this forum.

Shinto on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The forum is definitely unfriendly to faith.

I would consider this a good thing.

Wait.

I consider it a good thing.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • kaz67kaz67 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think it makes discussions involving religion pretty boring.

kaz67 on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    The forum is definitely unfriendly to faith.

I would consider this a good thing.

Wait.

I consider it a good thing.
    One of these days you'll be bludgeoned by the clawhammer of G-d.

Dynagrip on
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I already proved to LM that G-d exists anyway.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    kaz67 wrote: »
    I think it makes discussions involving religion pretty boring.

They really should be. It's kind of like how 9/11 conspiracy threads should be boring.

"Hey, what if...!"

"Evidence?"

"<Rambling nonsense>!"

"Sorry, no."

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited August 2007
    Even though I am not particularly religious I don't see exposure to faith based arguments as a bad thing. Such arguments can be a little frustrating at times but I think the best thing about this forum is that it really gives you an opportunity to look at things from another person's perspective.

kaz67 on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    kaz67 wrote: »
    look at things from another person's perspective.

O_o :?:

Casual Eddy on
    edited August 2007
    I'm not sure what you want me to clear up. Perhaps I should stick to lurking.

kaz67 on
    edited August 2007
    Sorry, it was my attempt at a witty comment.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a mind changed on this forum, but debating things is interesting and fun.

Casual Eddy on
    edited August 2007
    Same here, but I still find some value in putting myself in another person's shoes. At the very least I think it has made me a little more tolerant of opposing view points.

kaz67 on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I'm not sure I've ever seen a mind changed on this forum, but debating things is interesting and fun.
    I've changed my mind. It usually happens on the things you don't really care about enough to research, just enough to snipe about. Then someone else coughs a giant wad of references at you and you have to shut up.

As for lurking, I lurked for years. I think it was mostly a combination of fear, and not having a steady schedule. Now I have a boring job, so I can check in every day. Before this, every time I joined a forum I was inevitably not really contributing after a week.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited August 2007

I've changed my mind. It usually happens on the things you don't really care about enough to research, just enough to snipe about. Then someone else coughs a giant wad of references at you and you have to shut up.

As for lurking, I lurked for years. I think it was mostly a combination of fear, and not having a steady schedule. Now I have a boring job, so I can check in every day. Before this, every time I joined a forum I was inevitably not really contributing after a week.

In an unrelated note, I am replaying marathon and it is rocking my world.

Casual Eddy on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This forum has taught me to hate corn.

Scooter on