As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dead Island PR come up with most appalling idea in history of gaming PR

TubeTube Registered User admin
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121520-New-Dead-Island-Riptide-Bundle-Offers-Bloody-Boobs

Holy hell. I feel obliged to leave some kind of commentary about it to justify the thread but what can you even say? There's no indication that it's even a zombie, so for all intents and purposes a dev are giving away a foot high model of the grossly sexualised torso of the victim of a violent assault.

I don't see how misogyny in the gaming industry could get any more obvious or vile. I don't think of myself as a particularly sensitive or PC person but... just... holy shit.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I got a response on Twitter about this news that I dismissed, but when I looked at the person's account they were telling others to "get over it" because it's a zombie game. So there definitely exist people who have a massive disconnect regarding how out of line this whole thing is.

I mean, I've been making my jokes about Sam L. Jackson's Jurassic Park arm and such, but I do it with the understanding that this is not okay.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I think I've raised this question just about anywhere I've seen this discussed, but.. what kind of sane, functioning human being would genuinely look at this and think "yup, want that for my shelf".

forumsig.png
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    Yeah. There's really nothing more to be said about this than 'what the fuck'.

It is the most vile thing I've seen yet out of this industry. Hell, I was sort of interested in the new Dead Island - I played the first one after buying it on a Steam sale and found it enjoyable, if buggy and a little poorly implemented in some aspects. I was looking forward to seeing what they could do with a sequel but now I'm just going to take that money and spend it elsewhere. They've literally lost a customer in me.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    I'm tempted to say that discussion of their game is no longer welcome here. I'm not happy with the precedent that would set but at what point do we draw the line at what we're willing to tacitly endorse and promote?

• Options
    I bet they're all relieved they thought to apologise for that whole 'feminist whore' incident with the first game, otherwise this could be really embarrassing for them. Apologising for something removes all trace of it from the internet, right?

forumsig.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I'm tempted to say that discussion of their game is no longer welcome here. I'm not happy with the precedent that would set but at what point do we draw the line at what we're willing to tacitly endorse and promote?

He said, in the thread he made.

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I guess this would make a good gift for serial killers?

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »

He said, in the thread he made.

This thread isn't discussing the game, and it certainly isn't endorsing it.

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

Go for it man. Between this and the fun little sexist revelations in the games code shortly after release, it's hard to derive any positive interpretations of this development studio anymore.

I mean what the fuck

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Given that the response here seems pretty roundly critical of this move, and their previous bigotry, I'd rather see discussion stay open to provide information and context to random internet passersby. I think avoiding discussion will just let them get away with things like this.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I feel like this is being blown out of proportion simply because it is a woman's torso. If the statue was of some dude in a speedo or swim trunks, would it be more than a simple PR gaffe? What if the statue was of a woman in that bikini, maybe with some bloody wounds running in terror from something? What if the statue was of the same example I provided, but it also included a zombie chasing her? What if it was a man?

Would that be equally as appalling?

Don't get me wrong, I think this thing is pretty stupid and has dissuaded me from purchasing the CE. I'm just having trouble seeing why I should be so upset by it. I don't fall into the "lol get over it" crowd, though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yeah, is this really defensible in any way? Like, what?

I got nothing.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Disgust of the statue aside...what does it say for your upcoming game that you acknowledge you have no characters in the game interesting enough to be the focal point of the statue and just go with this garbage? I mean, most games would say "Scorpions awesome, let's statue up" or "Maybe Duke will sell better with a neat bust of the the man himself" - but they were just "Our characters are so terrible and forgettable that no one will want a neat trinket of any of them, let's go with this instead".

I actually didn't mind the original, but the whole weapons being made of paper mache thing really annoyed me and prevented me from making it too far in...I would have considered the sequel but I guess this cements not getting any deluxe edition.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013

I'm not sure that having a thread discussing a game is quite the same as promotion and it's certainly not endorsement. Yeah, I guess it's free advertisement of a sort, but you have to go looking for it; it's not like the Penny Arcade forum jumps out at you and pulls you into a conversation. I think the answer to your question is this: the line is drawn at your wallet. If you don't want to endorse that, don't buy it. I'd go so far as to say you can even buy the regular copy of the game and have a clean conscience.

My point is, I understand the reaction to this (I personally didn't realize it was a female torso until this thread, I skipped right over the joystiq.com article on my iPhone and didn't see the pic), but I don't think you need to go so far as to put the ban hammer down on talking about the game here.

Fawst on
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I feel like this is being blown out of proportion simply because it is a woman's torso. If the statue was of some dude in a speedo or swim trunks, would it be more than a simple PR gaffe? What if the statue was of a woman in that bikini, maybe with some bloody wounds running in terror from something? What if the statue was of the same example I provided, but it also included a zombie chasing her? What if it was a man?

Don't get me wrong, I think this thing is pretty stupid and has dissuaded me from purchasing the CE. I'm just having trouble seeing why I should be so upset by it. I don't fall into the "lol get over it" crowd, though.

It wouldn't be a man's torso though would it? Because you don't shift copies of a game by sexualising violence towards men.

• Options

It's a sexualized, bloody female torso.

Saying 'if it were X would it be as bad' isn't really a discussion point because it is not X. It is a sexualized, bloody female torso.

It absolutely screams 'serial killer rapist' and there is nothing defensible about it at all. It isn't even in poor taste. The mind that thought 'this will go over well!' is pretty damned fucked up.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Fiaryn wrote: »

Go for it man. Between this and the fun little sexist revelations in the games code shortly after release, it's hard to derive any positive interpretations of this development studio anymore.

I mean what the fuck

How does one developer using a terrible debug name for a skill make an entire studio sexist? I completely fail to see it!

This bust on the other hand, it completely unacceptable.

• Options
    edited January 2013

It is worse because the social situations of women and men are different. They are not the same. Misogyny is endemic in video games.

I mean you realize what you're looking at here? There is no more literal demonstration of the idea of "women are just chunks of meat that exist to titillate (personality comes secondary and usually exists to justify titillation)" since that's exactly what this is! A hunk of bloody meat meant to titillate.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    gjaustin wrote: »

I mean what the fuck

How does one developer using a terrible debug name for a skill make an entire studio sexist? I completely fail to see it!

It doesn't, but it suggests more than a little about the culture of their offices that he thought he could get away with it in the first place.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Seems pretty knee jerk to *CONSIDER* ban discussion of a game because of a marketing team decision. The people who made the game likely had nothing to do with designing this packaging. There is a whole lot more to a game than just the box it comes in, especially since Digital Distribution is gaining steam.
    what does it say for your upcoming game that you acknowledge you have no characters in the game interesting enough to be the focal point of the statue and just go with this garbage

That's like slamming Sim City for not having a mascot. Not every game needs a face. I could think of several things that would personify Dead Island better than a disembodied torso, personally, but then again I didn't make the box.

EDIT: added "consider" to more accurately reflect the situation at hand

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Dang, that's one helluva load of "crazy", "awful", and "stupid". Heads are definitely going to roll over that piece of garbage, long before any media types get a hold of that. Mutilated bikini-clad torso? That's really the best they could come up with?

It's pretty sad that the best outcome possible is the higher-ups in the company get wind of these, send an internal memo of "ARE YOU FUCKING INSANE?", fire the ever-living crap out the person for being an idiot, then offer a profuse and sincere apology for their company having offered something so ridiculously terrible.

Though on the bright side, it does make choosing which version of the game to get pretty easy.
    Hint: the answer is "none of the above".

• Options

Well, those would be different statues. The games industry as a whole has a pretty poor reputation for how it treats women both on the development side, and on that of the audience. Dead Island as a specific example has its own terrible history (see the 'feminist whore' incident I referenced above). This statue that they have chosen to sell is a battered torso with an absurd pair of breasts in a bikini. It is both misogynistic, and paints an incredibly bleak picture of their intended audience.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    The real problem is that she's apparently British.
    Her being British is not the real problem. For what it's worth, which is absolutely nothing, I would totally not bat an eye if you banned discussion of this game, Tube.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I have an honest question: can you use bodies in the game as bait to get zombies away from you? Specifically, is a female torso an in-game item that can be used? If so, at least there's some context here. Otherwise...

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    A statue of two trucks running into each other would be a much more evocative of Dead Island.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    How does this even happen? No one even said, "But, why?"

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    Also, sadly, this isn't the worst marketing decision I've seen thus far. It's extremely gross, but I can think of one or two marketing gimmicks that were even worse.

I think this speaks volumes more about the publisher than the developer or the game, though. Now, if you want to have a discussion about dead island: the game, and it's many failings (I never was particularly taken by it), that would be another thing. But packaging really is a pretty separate deal from development.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    EA/Bioware are jumping for joy now that Gay Planet is not the most horrible thing the industry has done with week.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Her being British is not the real problem. For what it's worth, which is absolutely nothing, I would totally not bat an eye if you banned discussion of this game, Tube.

banning discussion of a game because of the marketing team is kind of silly

• Options
    Fawst wrote: »
    I have an honest question: can you use bodies in the game as bait to get zombies away from you? Specifically, is a female torso an in-game item that can be used? If so, at least there's some context here. Otherwise...

yeah dismembered female bodies being an item which you can use would be better

wait what

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I definitely wouldn't go so far as to ban discussion of the game, by the way. Yeah, that statue is a pretty shitty idea, but we haven't actually seen the game yet. I can't help but feeling like banning discussion of the game entirely would be a pretty knee-jerk overreactionary thing to do, to the point of being rather more objectionable than what some PR folks cooked up for the game. I don't recall any bans on discussing stuff like the Manhunt games, and those were basically just torture simulators.

• Options

Don't worry, there is an American Flag bra version for all your nationalistic needs.

• Options

If anything, banning discussion of a specific game would garner it more attention.

Really, they've accomplished what I imagine is their goal. They've spurred discussion of a product that most people didn't even know about, and it's absolutely appalling but I really don't think 'just ignore them' is the appropriate response here. I sincerely hope that this loses them customers that might've otherwise been interested in their product because we should not be rewarding this shit.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options

I mean what the fuck

It doesn't, but it suggests more than a little about the culture of their offices that he thought he could get away with it in the first place.

I suppose that explanation makes sense. It requires more assumption on motivations and beliefs than I'm comfortable with though.

Or, rather more than I would have been comfortable with had this bust not been approved by someone.

• Options
    edited January 2013

I mean what the fuck

I suppose that explanation makes sense. It requires more assumption on motivations and beliefs than I'm comfortable with though.

Or, rather more than I would have been comfortable with had this bust not been approved by someone.

Right. That's the point. The feminist whore bit, in itself, suggested unsavory things about the culture of the studio but there was still some room to give them benefit of the doubt.

Now we have this and I think we can safely call it a fucking pattern.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    vsove wrote: »

If anything, banning discussion of a specific game would garner it more attention.

Really, they've accomplished what I imagine is their goal. They've spurred discussion of a product that most people didn't even know about, and it's absolutely appalling but I really don't think 'just ignore them' is the appropriate response here. I sincerely hope that this loses them customers that might've otherwise been interested in their product because we should not be rewarding this shit.

I'm certainly not buying this game now, barring some AMAZING act of contrition.

I've also let a friend know about this. He bought the original and I suspect he'll react the same way as me over this.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular

To quote RPS:
    A text book example of the most extreme ends of misogynist fantasy, a woman reduced to nothing but her tits, her wounds hideously depicted in gore, jutting bones, and of course barely a mark covering her globular breasts.

Regarding your hypothetical examples - A man's torso would be disgusting, but not sexist and less exploitative. A woman in that bikini fleeing from something would be exploitative, because she does not have to be in a bikini, even if it is set on a holiday resort. A man in a speedo similarly fleeing would not be exploitative, due to the position of the people behind this idea and the general position of men in society.

Please do not ban discussion of the game Tube. This is beyond gross, but better to forget it exists at all.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    I'm trying to find the article from naughty dog about their box art, and how sony didn't want Ellie on the cover because it would hurt sales, and ND had to take such a hardball stance to the point of threatening to quit before Sony changed their minds, but I can't find it. And that's ND, sony's star developer. The point being how little input developers have on tacky crap like this.

• Options

I mean what the fuck

Right. That's the point. The feminist whore bit, in itself, suggested unsavory things about the culture of the studio but there was still some room to give them benefit of the doubt.

Now we have this and I think we can safely call it a fucking pattern.

Even with the 'feminist whore' bit, if they were doing any kind of proper game development, there were more people who saw it (other programmers doing code reviews, for example). Which raises the disturbing possibility of either A) all those people were cool with it or B) someone complained and was shut down by someone above them.

Neither of which make me feel great.

WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    [double post due to flaky internet]

TheSonicRetard on
This discussion has been closed.