As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

In Need of a Girly GBA Game

boudabrasboudabras Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So my snugglemonkey is going away for a 10 day family trip that will be fraught with conflict so I think I'll win some points by buying her a shiny distraction to take with her. She has a GBA and only has some Mario game that she's played into oblivion. I would like a recommendation for an easy to get into, fun, addictive game for her, I was thinking of something like Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town, but having never played it, I am full of doubt.

Please advise!

The secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they're already met
boudabras on

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    She likes Mario?
    Yoshi's Island.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    WerrickWerrick Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    boudabras wrote: »
    ...snugglemonkey...

Grrr....

Werrick on
    "Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be rude without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

-Robert E. Howard
    Tower of the Elephant
  • Options
    furiousNUfuriousNU Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    boudabras wrote: »
    So my snugglemonkey is going away for a 10 day family trip that will be fraught with conflict so I think I'll win some points by buying her a shiny distraction to take with her. She has a GBA and only has some Mario game that she's played into oblivion. I would like a recommendation for an easy to get into, fun, addictive game for her, I was thinking of something like Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town, but having never played it, I am full of doubt.

Please advise!

Some quality games are super mario world, tetris and link to the past.

You might get some extra plus points if you buy her a carrying case for her games/console. :D

edit: I just realize you said the console with a gba, and I read nintendo ds for some reason(probably because I want one).

furiousNU on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Girls are not creatures from another planet. If she likes Mario, get her a good platformer. You'll note that this advice would apply equally well regardless of gender.

Buying her a stereotypical "girly game" in complete deference to an established taste is asinine and insulting.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It's all in good humour, I'm no sexist. I'm just looking for a fun game that's easy to get into and has high replayability, something she can pick up and put down at leisure.

boudabras on
    The secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they're already met
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Pokemon.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Phoenix Wright, just remember to call her every so often in case she forgets to eat and sleep :P

Don't buy 'girl' games, because game developers are still in the mindset that anything marketed to females can be crap and must be painted pink. You'll never find a good girl-game, just games that have been declared 'for girls' after the fact solely because their player base is closer to a 50:50 gender ratio than CS. There really isn't anything much that is played primarily by women in the way some games are 90% male-player driven.

edit: shit, GBA not DS. Ok, i got nothing except the above point about how games are perceived in relation to their player base.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Harvest Moon. There's even a girl version.

Taya on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    contraband wrote: »
    Pokemon.

I think my balls would get some blowtorch treatment if I bought her that. I should have mentioned earlier that if there are two things she hates in life, it's Pokemon and Harry Potter

boudabras on
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My sister loves Mario and Zelda games. Her favorite is probably Yoshi's Island.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    Shifty FisterShifty Fister Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Golden Sun. I challenge anyone to not enjoy that game, regardless of gender.

Shifty Fister on
  • Options
    GhostManOnThirdGhostManOnThird Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    medium1046433713162ca43rp9.th.jpg

makinbabiesek3.th.jpg

Your snugglemonkey would probably like warioware(GBA). Everyone does, regardless of gender.

GhostManOnThird on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    See above, not the writing.

If she doesnt have a DS and neither do you, buy her one with those games.

You can never start training them too early.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think a there's a Sims for GBA.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think a there's a Sims for GBA.

Reading this whole thread, i was waiting for someone to say that.

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Kirby games.
    Everyone loves Kirby. And since she's already into platformers, it seems a good fit.

see317 on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I will second Wario Ware.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I will third Wario Ware. Especially if you can get your hands on Twisted. That shit is awesome.

Or Fire Emblem if she wants her ass kicked. You can turn it off at any time because it saves automatically after each turn! And then turn it on and do a turn.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Kim Possible 2 for the GBA is a suprisingly good platformer.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    phamtqphamtq Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Disney's Aladdin for GBA.

The quality of the sprites are amazing and the game play is very fluid. It has a MegaMan kind of feel to it with a hint of Prince of Persia.

aladdin-gba-006.jpg

phamtq on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I heartell chicks dig animal crossing, and it's a nice game for you to play together.

Javen on
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    No one's mentioned Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga which is probably the best game on the GBA?

For shame H&A. For shame.

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh snap, they released the SNES aladdin to GBA? I played that stuff so much when I was little!

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    snowkissedsnowkissed Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Buy her a DS and get her Cooking Mama.

No?

I've heard good things about Harvest Moon. Monkey Ball is also super entertaining, cute and fun.

Did you want sims for her? Or platformers?

snowkissed on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Interceptor8-6Interceptor8-6 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think that Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga is one of the best titles on the GBA. Should hit the spot for a Mario fan, and it was easy to get into.

Interceptor8-6 on
  • Options
    phamtqphamtq Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    But is she into action RPG games? I know some gamers that play a lot but aren't really keen on games with a lot of reading (even with dialogue as hilarious as that game).

phamtq on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ooh, someone mentioned the Aladdin game.

I love that game, well worth getting for yourself even.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shit I can't believe I didn't know they released the SNES Aladdin game on GBA

Also, how does she feel about RTS type games?

Because Advance Wars will suck up so much time.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg