As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAME ON] Insurgency

• Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yes there is a compass.

And the devs have said they're planning to include a full-screen map that would show the objectives but not your location into a later patch.

As for finding objectives, I still haven't seen the ins and outs of every map, and I'm still trying to learn where the objectives are. Being able to pull up the load-screen map (which not only shows where the objectives are, but provides a picture of it) would help a great deal. I think that placing flags at the objectives would be a bad idea. However, I haven't seen anyone suggest that.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PejPej Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Suds wrote: »
    And the devs have said they're planning to include a full-screen map that would show the objectives but not your location into a later patch.
    Sweet! I had not heard that yet. Thanks for the info...
    As for finding objectives, I still haven't seen the ins and outs of every map, and I'm still trying to learn where the objectives are. Being able to pull up the load-screen map (which not only shows where the objectives are, but provides a picture of it) would help a great deal. I think that placing flags at the objectives would be a bad idea. However, I haven't seen anyone suggest that.
    Agreed. I don't think we need any clear marking of the objective, like flags or anything else, but we definitely do need some way to more easily locate them. I'd be quite happy with the addition of a map.

Pej on
    This cave leads to the inhospitable surface of the planet. There is nothing for you to see there.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    What servers do you play on Pej?

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh man, I totally missed the release of this. Only now getting the latest client. :(

Arminas on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yes there is a compass.

Bullshit. This is the age of GPS. If you stop at a street corner and the sign says the corners of Bakalakadaka Street and Jihad Avenue, you know right where you are. For as small as the levels are, they are at the street level maps anyway, there isn't any excuse they can use to justify not knowing almost exactly where they are. In the name of realism they need to know where they are if they call down arty or ask for a tank to unload into a building full of insurgents (in the real world, not the game).

Even something as simple as the squad leader (or a radio man if they had that class) pulling out a map and dropping to one knee, and in order for the other players to see where they are they huddle around him, while a few cover them, and once they know where they need to go they shift out so those guards can see and then they all go for their next location/objective.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Usually they would study the area well before going into it right? They would know their plan of attack and what specific areas would likely have resistance and that kind of thing. Sure it wouldn't be perfect, but it's just like Call of Duty where you memorize the map of where you are and can call upon it whenever you want.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    If you can see "Bakalakadaka Street" and "Jihad Avenue", of course you know where you are. You're on B. Street and Jihad Ave.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PejPej Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What servers do you play on Pej?
    At the moment I don't play anywhere specific - whatever has the lowest ping and a decent amount of filled slots but that may change sooner or later as if I decide to take it to the next level and start some more organized play I'll need a server of my own. For the moment I'm still seeing how things shape up in future patches and trying to suck less. :)

Pej on
    This cave leads to the inhospitable surface of the planet. There is nothing for you to see there.
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I should really add more of you guys to my Friends list. It'd make estalking that much easier (HALLO THORGOT)

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So as good as this mod is, I've since started playing CS:S again and I've been having a lot more fun with that. I guess I'm one of those 12 year old idiots they talk about on the INS forums. :(

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well, I played CS:S with thor last night and enjoyed it a lot more than a subsequent Insurgency game.

Ressurect the Game On and let's all be 12-year-old puerile idiots together!

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    PusciferPuscifer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh man, I'm one of those allout Day of Defeat guys (since the beta back in the day), but I tried out Insurgency this week on a whim because some guys over on the DoD: Source 2 Rangers Battalion server were playing.

It's freaking sweet. I'm usually over on the 2nd RB server.

Puscifer on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You guys are all 12 year old idiots for liking CS:S. Pancake, Ebrad, Thorgot, all of you. Idiots.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Well I just got TK'd five times in a row

Newsflash admins, patrol your fucking servers if you've got FF on.

Jeez.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    PusciferPuscifer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't have a problem with the TKing, but it fucking bugs the shit out of me when one of your guys from down the street stops, looks at you for several seconds and then not knowing whether it's a friendly or an enemy, decides to shoot anyways.

Puscifer on
    Untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, makes me realise how much I've been pampered by team text and stuff like that. Makes for some really frustrating moments...

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I've TK'd people by accident in that very situation many times. It's the nature of public servers I'm afraid. If everyone was moving around in squads instead of still trying to Rambo on their own then this wouldn't occur, because the squad would probably keep each other apprised of their situation and current location.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The only real problem I have with the UI is that I don't know which objective is Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, etc. I'm probably just missing some indicator of it (or I'm not used to the symbols), but it's really hard to support your team when everybody's yelling "Get to Bravo!" and you have no idea which objective is Bravo.
    Puscifer wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with the TKing, but it fucking bugs the shit out of me when one of your guys from down the street stops, looks at you for several seconds and then not knowing whether it's a friendly or an enemy, decides to shoot anyways.

Every time I'm that guy from down the street, and I decide not to shoot, I die. D:

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    You only see one objective at a time. It's either attack or defend. I'll let you figure out which is which. The other is a way point and an arrow.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Goomba wrote: »
    You only see one objective at a time. It's either attack or defend. I'll let you figure out which is which. The other is a way point and an arrow.

And you only see them if your squad's commander orders the squad to attack it or defend it.

If you have a commander that doesn't do anything, you'll never receive any way of knowing where the objectives are aside from trial and error.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Pancake wrote: »
    Goomba wrote: »

And you only see them if your squad's commander orders the squad to attack it or defend it.

If you have a commander that doesn't do anything, you'll never receive any way of knowing where the objectives are aside from trial and error.
    Or following your teammates, but yeah, that's a problem.

At least the FN weapon in this game isn't shit, though, unlike other, shittier games.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EmbraceThePingEmbraceThePing ひきこもり Where the Crabbits and the Iz roam and the Jungle Queen rules the plainsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Good point. Analogous to a soldier taking a map out of his/her pocket. As long as you keep real-time positions off it, it keeps to the realism theme.

I must admit I am a little annoyed at some inconsistencies in weapon accuracies also. :/
    The sniper at the moment can't hit diddly unless you prone. The FN on the other hand is incredibly accurate in any position.
    The Insurgent support weapon is also overly accurate in single shot mode. But as has been said before, this is only a beta so hopefully some tweaking will bring it all together.

There has been a drop off in numbers over here also. Thank God! lol. The initial rush has died down and the servers are settling down to 'enthusiast levels', which has been great for gameplay (I think the trick o' treat levels of eye candy in the wake of E3 may also have something to do with it).

The honeymoon, I think, is over. Now comes the long slow grind toward acceptance or relegation to the bit bucket of gaming history.

EmbraceThePing on
  • Options
    ZarcathZarcath Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    is there something wrong with the USMC Grenadier class? Everytime I fire a grenade it seems like I get negative points, even when I don't hit my own team. I fired a grenade down the hall and it exploded, my team mates were in the adjacent room around the corner and I got - points. Really fucked up.

I ended up -32 points even though I had a positive k:d.

Zarcath on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yes. That class is bugged. You get negative points. It'll be fixed in 1.2.

It's annoying, but if you're on a good server they won't boot you since they'll know the class is bugged. I still take the Grenadier class. I don't really care what my score is.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I had my first scrim on Saturday on a private server; it was amazing. The night started out with a few of us showing all the other players the ropes, the maps and how to play the game. Nobody shot anyone else. Then, instead of restarting the match, the two sides just went back to their start points and we started the game.

It was such an amazing and organized experience. Working in squads really worked very well, and anyone out on their own died pretty quickly.

I took a video of the first match, I was a Cell Leader on the Insurgent's side and we were able to cap-out on Baghdad. The next match the USMC almost did the same to us before time ran out.

Video here or you can see a higher resolution version (but same file-size) version here, and clicking Video Games-> Insurgency -> Mike's Marauders - Insurgency Night 1

I forgot to use the voice-feedback console command while I was playing so my voice wasn't recorded.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    am i the only idiot still playing this?

Zarcath on
  • Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Half-Life 2 mods don't have the legs they used to, man. Hopefully my boys over at Firearms: Source will change that.

AlejandroDaJ on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Half-Life 2 mods have never had legs, man. Hopefully my boys over at Firearms: Source will change that.

Fixt.

Seriously though, there have been some absolutely fantastic HL2 mods that no one ever played. Sourceforts, anyone?

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Zarcath wrote: »
    am i the only idiot still playing this?

No. I'm still playing. I've been playing CoH lately but I do jump into INS now and then. It's the only FPS game I'm still playing.

I'll send you the info for a private server that has good games on Sunday nights. It's a ton of fun.

Send me a message on Steam if you ever want to play.

Edit: Or xfire.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I actually still play, and I'm a reg on a bunch of servers with good players that communicate well. Makes the entire experience fun. Let's get together on xfire or something and play some games.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I am actually going to give this a try later today, since my gaming computer doesn't suck any more.

A microphone isn't essential, is it? Can I survive in a good team-based round without it?

Voranth on
    camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    You can survive but it helps a great deal.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I sure do hear that a lot. I really should pick one up.

Oh well. I'll still install it and give it a try this afternoon, or around that time.

Voranth on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Voranth wrote: »
    I am actually going to give this a try later today, since my gaming computer doesn't suck any more.

A microphone isn't essential, is it? Can I survive in a good team-based round without it?

if you and your team know what to do, a mic isn't really essential. You can jump on vent though and listen though.

Lately all i've been playing is dota and INS. Would love to get in on some good INS games, just been pubbing it up and it gets really fustrating. I don't mind playing with noobs but when you got guys blocking doors or costantly tking you, or hogging the good weapons and i'm stuck with an rpg...

Zarcath on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    RPG is a good weapon in the right hands.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Oh, definitely. It shakes up the screen of anyone who's near enough to the explosion, so with some coordinated effort, an RPG Gunner can confuse opponents (kill some if he's lucky), and then the assault team can move in and finish them.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So I've been playing a lot of pubbie games and despite me dying about a billion times, I'm still enjoying it a lot. I'd love to get a game on with you guys. Is there a server you guys frequent a lot?

Voranth on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I had a great time last night with Cable Carrier on the Mike's Marauder's server. Until a few days ago it was a private server, but now that it's open to the public it's full every night. It's a 20 player server which rotates maps every 30 minutes.

There are several admins on every night; intentional TKs, foul language (f-bombs, c-bombs) and general ass-hattery will get you banned.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EmbraceThePingEmbraceThePing ひきこもり Where the Crabbits and the Iz roam and the Jungle Queen rules the plainsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It is "Boots of Kick-ass +5" in that mine shaft map.

EmbraceThePing on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Especially since you have infinite rockets.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png