As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Ni No Kuni] Ghibli + Pokemon = awesome?

• Options
    Gunbust3rGunbust3r Registered User regular
    I walked into GameStop to see when the new releases were coming, spotted this on the shelf, went "pffft a new JRPG", saw "Studio Ghibli" on the back and bought it immediately.

Did I do it right
    This is 100% the truth. Is their marketing department brain dead? The title of this game should be: Hayao Miyazaki - RPG - Video Game.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    The third row of Merit Rewards is really nice.
    Increase chance of taming, increase rare drops, increase experience even more, heal while walking, reduce the cost of abilities (all of them--spells, shots, songs, and tricks!) and something that claims to "unlock Oliver's full potential"

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    When the time comes how does one decide which form a familiar evolves into?

You will see the stats and potential spells of whichever final type you want. For example:
    Griffin is split up between fire and ice; the ice fellow has slightly stronger attack and lower defense. However they get an all-field AOE, while the fire gets some in range melee AOE.

I meant how do you control which one you get?

Does it ask you when they reach a certain level?

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Are there any must haves for Merit Awards? Should I be spending them now (I have three cards filled) or hang onto them? I've only got the first few unlocked and the only thing that looks good is the increased chance of orbs (is that the name for them?) spawning during combat.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    Are there any must haves for Merit Awards? Should I be spending them now (I have three cards filled) or hang onto them? I've only got the first few unlocked and the only thing that looks good is the increased chance of orbs (is that the name for them?) spawning during combat.

You have to buy the entire top row of merits in order to unlock the second row, so yeah, go ahead and spend them.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

I believe you have to unlock them all to get to the next ones. It may just be coincidence that the next ones opened when I did that though as I was also at a pivotal point in the story.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    When the time comes how does one decide which form a familiar evolves into?

You will see the stats and potential spells of whichever final type you want. For example:
    Griffin is split up between fire and ice; the ice fellow has slightly stronger attack and lower defense. However they get an all-field AOE, while the fire gets some in range melee AOE.

I meant how do you control which one you get?

Does it ask you when they reach a certain level?

You get to choose.

You have to unlock the rows before you can get the next tier of rewards.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Just got to the boss of the Volcano area and struggled.
    I'm effectively running around with Mite and two caster familiars on Oliver, and the monkey, starting caster, and banana bunch on Esther. Esther simply can't keep herself alive through...anything, Volcano Roar in particular. The boss is too big to realistically run around picking up glims, and my caster minions are worthless because they take 10 minutes to run into range to cast a spell and then eat flame breath/volcano roar in the face when I'm unable to cancel out of it. Seriously, being unable to cancel spellcasts to defend yourself is stupid.

I guess on my next attempt I'll make sure they're closer before starting the spellcast, but that certainly was frustrating to spend 10 minutes fighting the thing, almost kill him, and then die because I just missed defending a volcano roar by about a quarter second :?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Volcano boss is probably one of the hardest.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    When do I get the ability to turn my Griffy ticket into an actual familiar?

• Options

Temple of Trials. It is not far from Al Mamoon; however you have to pass the trials first.

• Options
    Hamelin Pun Spoilers:
    The boss name is Porco Grosso, I love this game!

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    i dont know why but buying the useless (?) ability to jump amuses me a lot. is there actually any purpose to jumping around during battle or whatever?

edit: also, is there a way to get enemies not to run from you or anything? i have to kill some florets for this errand and they haul ass when they see me coming and run faster than i can catch them.

I'm not 100% on this but I think you move faster when jumping? I haven't had any enemies outrun me when I spam the jump button when chasing them.

Inkyblots on
  • Options
    So a head's up. If you go back to Old Father Oak in the first dungeon after certain story points, he'll give you some rewards.

They're missable (in that you can't stack the rewards, not in that you can't get them anywhere else/there's a cutoff point) so it's worth noting.

List behind multiple spoilers:
    Defeat Hickory Dock - bars of milk chocolate x5
    Return it Al Mamoon after curing Rusty - new dialogue
    Defeat Moltaan at Old smokey - Phoenix feathers x3
    Sail from Castaway cove for the first time - bottle of pixie dew x3
    Sail from Teeheeti after ship repairs - medal of agility
    Cure Marcassin's brokenheartedness in Hamelin - healing tear gem, page of WC (you can collect the page from this point and onward)
    Receive map of Magic Stones - Green Man's Cloak
    Defeat Cerboreas at Glittering Grotto - Nostrum
    Acquire Clarion of the three kingdoms - new dialogue
    Defeat Vileheart in Miasma Marshes - new dialogue
    Return to Iron Wyvren after visiting Motorville - Great Sages Secret
    Defeat Porco Loco in Hamelin - Wizard Kings Secret
    Return to Iron Wyvren after visiting Ara Memorie -new dialogue

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    So a head's up. If you go back to Old Father Oak in the first dungeon after certain story points, he'll give you some rewards.

They're missable (in that you can't stack the rewards, not in that you can't get them anywhere else/there's a cutoff point) so it's worth noting.

Cure Marcassin's brokenheartedness in Hamelin - healing tear gem, page of WC (you can collect the page from this point and onward)

this would be a lot less annoying if you could warp back there easily. hopefully you get that ability at some point?

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    Gunbust3r wrote: »
    I walked into GameStop to see when the new releases were coming, spotted this on the shelf, went "pffft a new JRPG", saw "Studio Ghibli" on the back and bought it immediately.

Did I do it right
    This is 100% the truth. Is their marketing department brain dead? The title of this game should be: Hayao Miyazaki - RPG - Video Game.

Oh, I'm absolutely sure Miyazaki had nothing to do with this, seeing as he hates video games, modern society in general, and children born in the 1980s onward...

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Question about metamorphosis. If I morph a familiar who hasn't learned a trick yet doe sit get lost? In other words should I only morph them after they have learned the tricks I want in that form?

Also I have found a use for jumping. If you are cursed and you jump you go much faster.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    hopefully you get that ability at some point?

Yes.
    If I morph a familiar who hasn't learned a trick yet doe sit get lost?

Gone baby gone.

• Options
    hopefully you get that ability at some point?

Yes.
    If I morph a familiar who hasn't learned a trick yet doe sit get lost?

Gone baby gone.

I guessed as much, I've been playing it safe and always leveling them up above the abilities I want anyways.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Question about metamorphosis. If I morph a familiar who hasn't learned a trick yet doe sit get lost? In other words should I only morph them after they have learned the tricks I want in that form?

yea, if you morph you lose access to whatever tricks that form hadnt learned yet. so far thats how im gauging when to morph guys, by whenever they learn the last trick i want.

• Options
    I morph typically when they get there. Some of those lingering abilities aren't really that exciting, and I can't see myself needing to use them. I mean how many big damage 25MP physical attacks does the might really need -

• Options

Temple of Trials. It is not far from Al Mamoon; however you have to pass the trials first.

Ah sweet I just got to Al Mamoon!

• Options
    I morph typically when they get there. Some of those lingering abilities aren't really that exciting, and I can't see myself needing to use them. I mean how many big damage 25MP physical attacks does the might really need -

All of them, to kill Tokos before they run away. :D

camo_sig2.png

• Options

this would be a lot less annoying if you could warp back there easily. hopefully you get that ability at some point?
    You do. Also there's a spot near Ding Dong Dell to land your boat so you can sail there pretty easily before you get it.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Just got my first familiar to final metamorphosis! It's going to be an agonizing decision every time isn't it?

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Having gotten a few there already...yes. It is.

Just a tip though, if you're building up a Naiad (Lagoon Naiad rank 1, Sea Naiad rank 2) then I'd really recommend going with the bottom path
    Learns a resurrection spell, and a spell called Twinkle Twinkle which does a solid 200+ damage to all enemies, really fast cast time but pretty long cooldown.

Top path learns more healing spells and I think a slightly higher M. Attack stat, but having the resurrection and even an attack option or two on it is great

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options

Just a tip though, if you're building up a Naiad (Lagoon Naiad rank 1, Sea Naiad rank 2) then I'd really recommend going with the bottom path
    Learns a resurrection spell, and a spell called Twinkle Twinkle which does a solid 200+ damage to all enemies, really fast cast time but pretty long cooldown.

Top path learns more healing spells and I think a slightly higher M. Attack stat, but having the resurrection and even an attack option or two on it is great

Ah good to know!

delphinidaes.png
  • Options

Ah good to know!

It also gets what may end up being my favorite pun.
    Aurora Curealis

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Wow, I just got the mother of all glitches for some reason. None of the controller buttons do anything anymore on the overworld, I can't access any menus anymore, even the pause screen. Battles work fine but otherwise I'm completely shut out of every other aspect of the game.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    soup or mansoup or man Raccoon City, NCRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    Frei wrote: »
    RT800 wrote: »
    Playstation 3 eh? I wish I could play this, but my PS3's fan is so goddamn loud after 15 minutes of anything that I can't stand using it. It's like someone's using a blow dryer right next to me.

Have you cleaned it recently, or ever?

It's been doing that since the day I bought it. It's one of the older fat models. I tried cleaning it but it wasn't even dusty.

It starts out pretty quiet but after a little while the fan just goes full tilt and doesn't stop. It's been a hassle.

Y'know, I also have a fatboy PS3 and mine does the same thing. But what I've noticed is that it only happens when it's kinda warm in my apartment or if I've been playing for a really long time. What does the trick for me every time, though, is simply pulling the system out from inside my entertainment center and onto the floor. I don't know why, because it's not even that tight of a space, but if I do that the fan calms down and I can play all night without it cranking back up. You may not be having to the same issue but perhaps it's something to think about.

-soupProud owner of The Nintendo Cereal System™
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    Fat PS3s kind of suck back in the hot air the fan is expelling, so keeping one in any kind of enclosed space when it's over 80 degrees is not the best choice for it. 80 degrees is the temperature of magma after all. The bottom of the system also gets quite hot, so keeping it elevated can help as well if you don't have it vertical.

• Options
    I really want to help you familiar researcher guy, but you want a "brown cog" and the only one of those is rare to spawn and never wants to join me.

:(

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    Oh god, they're doing quests that require rare things again? It took me 5 hours to do a quest in WKC2 because the item had either a 1% drop rate or lower than that. So if they want you to get a rare monster then expect them to want you to do much worse than that down the line.

• Options
    Gilder wrote: »
    Oh god, they're doing quests that require rare things again? It took me 5 hours to do a quest in WKC2 because the item had either a 1% drop rate or lower than that. So if they want you to get a rare monster then expect them to want you to do much worse than that down the line.

This may be the first side-quest I don't actually complete, I'm just not having any luck at all getting the cog familiar he wants.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options

i was reading some trophy guide stuff prior to release and i seem to recall reading that one of the endgame alchemy related job board errands requires some extremely rare drop item, and it was taking people 10-20 hours of grinding to get it to drop. so... yea.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    I noticed something interesting. Int eh background of the familiar "tricks" each trick has a symbol (a sword, a sword in a shield, sparkles, etc)

Any idea what these are? I couldn't find any info in my handy Wizard's compendium. I was thinking maybe it related to which stat was used in calculating the damage.

*Edit* Also solved my Sprog Cog issue, Looked them up in the WC and found a place with a higher concentration of them. Finally caught one.

Delphinidaes on
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Sword - Offense Trick, Sword & Board - Status Change Trick (Offensive or defensive), Sparkles - Restorative Magic.
    This may be the first side-quest I don't actually complete, I'm just not having any luck at all getting the cog familiar he wants.

The good thing is those quests aren't tied to XP, and you can do them really whenever and potentially get some useful stuff (if not for equipment, then for alchemy).

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular

i was reading some trophy guide stuff prior to release and i seem to recall reading that one of the endgame alchemy related job board errands requires some extremely rare drop item, and it was taking people 10-20 hours of grinding to get it to drop. so... yea.

So, it's a proper Level 5 game then.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Finally Caught a Whambat. I need Captain Whamtastic in my life

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ I just saw the cheese eating scene everyone was talking about.
    I need an adult

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."