As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Ni No Kuni] Ghibli + Pokemon = awesome?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I really want to help you familiar researcher guy, but you want a "brown cog" and the only one of those is rare to spawn and never wants to join me.

:(

It's not rare, it's the same cog you've been fighting for quite a while from previous areas. He's very easy to get.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Wow, I just got the mother of all glitches for some reason. None of the controller buttons do anything anymore on the overworld, I can't access any menus anymore, even the pause screen. Battles work fine but otherwise I'm completely shut out of every other aspect of the game.

So long, you piece of shit.

Well, I got this to fix. If it happens to you (and I can't believe it ever will since no one else anywhere is mentioning it) you have to somehow make it to someone who has a piece of heart you need and talk to him to force open what amounts to the square button spell screen. Then everything was fine.

But literally the only controls that worked were the sticks and the X button.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Oddness.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Ha! Sailed the wrong direction in the boat and despite being overleveled just got fucking schooled. Where's the island people were saying had some crazy high XP monster on?

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Ha! Sailed the wrong direction in the boat and despite being overleveled just got fucking schooled. Where's the island people were saying had some crazy high XP monster on?
    North of the Summerlands (where Ding Dong Dell, etc is). There's an island chain. You'll want the smallest and southernmost of them, Ugly Duckling Isle.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    THIS GAME
    After a whole day of downloading and installing, I started playing this today.

It's a lot better than I expected!!! The localization and English VA are amazing, top notch, the art is to die for... AND THERE IS A CAT KING

Ding Dong Dell is the coolest place ever.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    This game's version of the Monster Arena has solidified my absolute HATE for the AI/Tactics System in this game. Even with the quick defend/attack options, the AI is just too stupid (or too rigid in its options) to be of any use in a SERIOUS fight, which most of the Monster Arena fights are. You'll see the AI stick to ONE familiar and then fall back on doing damage themselves even when they have other familiars (though not as good as their lead off). And you can't slot the AI to heal itself (each party member has a guy with heals or can heal themselves), oh no because then they are burning through their mana keeping everyone healed or buffed with buffs we don't need. So essentially, if a fight goes longer than one familiars stamina, you're boned into micro-managing in a system that has shit for management controls.

Here in a nutshell is the problem: Game scenario, I've got Oliver on heals, Esther on attack, and Swaine on defense. Esther has the Griffin, and Lemus, Swaine has Megalith and Tin-Man, and Oliver has all casters. In a perfect world, I could set Oliver to "Keep us Healthy", and he'd just spam heals and the occasional magic attack; Esther goes all out with her familiars Psyche Up! abilities, while Swaine uses the two tanks to Yoo-Hoo and Defend. That's what happens in a perfect world. In Ni No Kuni, because you can only ever assign "overall. . ." game behavior and not specific abilities, Swaine will attempt to have the Megalith (who does 1 point of dmg) attack and not defend. Esther will more than likely never use Psyche Up!, instead spamming Sharp Fangs every chance she gets. Oliver will no doubt do a good job, though he will still have the capability to fuck up his mana (because Keep Us Healthy only prioritizes heals, and doesn't exclude use of other spells). This wouldn't be a problem if you could (in a sense) queue up abilities for your familiars instead of losing control completely when you aren't directly controlling them.

All this wouldn't be that bad, if the AI didn't cancel your moves (by casting Animation Spells) or swap back to weaker familiars (for the fight) once you've took control of them.

Immensely frustrating as it is really the one black eye on an otherwise great game - but the black eye is to a pretty vital part of the gameplay.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    This game's version of the Monster Arena has solidified my absolute HATE for the AI/Tactics System in this game. Even with the quick defend/attack options, the AI is just too stupid (or too rigid in its options) to be of any use in a SERIOUS fight, which most of the Monster Arena fights are. You'll see the AI stick to ONE familiar and then fall back on doing damage themselves even when they have other familiars (though not as good as their lead off). And you can't slot the AI to heal itself (each party member has a guy with heals or can heal themselves), oh no because then they are burning through their mana keeping everyone healed or buffed with buffs we don't need. So essentially, if a fight goes longer than one familiars stamina, you're boned into micro-managing in a system that has shit for management controls.

Here in a nutshell is the problem: Game scenario, I've got Oliver on heals, Esther on attack, and Swaine on defense. Esther has the Griffin, and Lemus, Swaine has Megalith and Tin-Man, and Oliver has all casters. In a perfect world, I could set Oliver to "Keep us Healthy", and he'd just spam heals and the occasional magic attack; Esther goes all out with her familiars Psyche Up! abilities, while Swaine uses the two tanks to Yoo-Hoo and Defend. That's what happens in a perfect world. In Ni No Kuni, because you can only ever assign "overall. . ." game behavior and not specific abilities, Swaine will attempt to have the Megalith (who does 1 point of dmg) attack and not defend. Esther will more than likely never use Psyche Up!, instead spamming Sharp Fangs every chance she gets. Oliver will no doubt do a good job, though he will still have the capability to fuck up his mana (because Keep Us Healthy only prioritizes heals, and doesn't exclude use of other spells). This wouldn't be a problem if you could (in a sense) queue up abilities for your familiars instead of losing control completely when you aren't directly controlling them.

All this wouldn't be that bad, if the AI didn't cancel your moves (by casting Animation Spells) or swap back to weaker familiars (for the fight) once you've took control of them.

Immensely frustrating as it is really the one black eye on an otherwise great game - but the black eye is to a pretty vital part of the gameplay.

Ya I've ran into all these issues. The AI just plain useless. I've had it grab miracle things, use a buff miracle and then instantly recall the familiar with the buff. Its just nonsense sometimes with their choices.

Seriously, I just equip the other two members with healers and defensive familiars. Then do all the damage and stuff yourself with Oliver and the Mite. I'm about 35 hours played now, and I'm extremely over leveled powered up for most anything and this is really the best way to not get annoyed at the terrible AI. The only other option I've found, is tell them not to use tricks/mana and then micro-manage them a ton... which is just lame.

I could actually forgive a lot of the AI issues if it would simply not burn through mana for no fucking reason. Its such a pain to get it to simply auto attack. Its just pointless to get them to do any "role" other than waste mana healing me. Blocking and taunt abilities actually make "tanking" really easy in this game... but if you dont actively do it yourself, the AI will only do it wrong. Sometimes I swap to a teammates familiar and use "yoo hoo + defense"... but as soon as I swap back they go back to burning up mana and doing nothing, but if I stay as that one and tank, the AI wont do jack shit for damage.

I'm still enjoying the game a ton though. Doing lots of side quest stuff, have a few of the bottom row of merit rewards now. (really powerful stuff to get there too, very worth it) The combat though, just doesn't play out how they intended I think... I've found how to make it very easy, just no thanks to the AI or anything.

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Wow. Namco Bandai pretty much screwed up getting a Wizard's Edition of this. The thing goes for $399 on Ebay. Something needs to be done about the scalpers.

• Options
    It's too bad they didn't manage to make the combat at least local co-op like they did with some of the Tales games. That would have been simply amazing.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    What are the odds that they patch the AI to make it less stupid?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular

id guess approximately 0%.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I really want to help you familiar researcher guy, but you want a "brown cog" and the only one of those is rare to spawn and never wants to join me.

:(

It's not rare, it's the same cog you've been fighting for quite a while from previous areas. He's very easy to get.

Yeah which I mentioned in my posts after that. I ended up grabbing one from Teehiti. I assumed incorrectly that I needed to grab one from the surrounding area since that's where the npc mentioned they were.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    Yeah it would of been nice to have a tactics system similar to dragon age or FF12

• Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

The game has been out for over a year in Japan, right? Anyone know of what they are saying about the AI on Japanese message boards?

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    eobet wrote: »
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

The game has been out for over a year in Japan, right? Anyone know of what they are saying about the AI on Japanese message boards?

4 months or so, and no idea.

Edit: Oh right, it's 2013 now. Year and 4 months >.>

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    4 months or so, and no idea.

Game came out in 2011 in J-Town.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Wow. Namco Bandai pretty much screwed up getting a Wizard's Edition of this. The thing goes for $399 on Ebay. Something needs to be done about the scalpers.

Namco looked into it. The scalpers bought it legitimately.

What Namco Bandai SHOULD do is a second print run of the Wizard's Edition, including a kit that has everything EXCEPT the game in it, so you can just upgrade to the Wizard's edition. That would put an end to the scalper's gameplan.

• Options
    So it's kind of like playing with other people's Pawns, is what I'm reading here.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »

Namco looked into it. The scalpers bought it legitimately.

What Namco Bandai SHOULD do is a second print run of the Wizard's Edition, including a kit that has everything EXCEPT the game in it, so you can just upgrade to the Wizard's edition. That would put an end to the scalper's gameplan.

Apparently what happened was that Namco and (mainly) Digital River dropped the ball and didn't put order limits on Wizard's Editions during the "NiNoStarter" campaign they ran pre-release - causing scalpers to grab large sets of them to re-sell. I.e. according to IGN, PlayCanada alone ate over 200 copies of the Wizard's Edition - first selling them for $300, and then jacking the price as their stock dwindled. (It's up to $500 now).

Which is bad enough in itself, but from the looks of it nobody coordinated that order count with the pre-orders on the Namco Bandai site when pre-orders opened up there, so since there was a big rush on Wizard's Editions during the starter, they ended up selling way more Wizard's Editions in total than they actually had.

On top of that, many people ended up being able to cut in line ahead of people who ordered much earlier, thanks to Digital River's next poorly-planned move.

From the linked IGN article:
    When those people complained, Digital River sent them a "secret" link where they could re-order their Wizard Edition which got leaked on CheapAssGamer and NeoGaf. People who used this link were then given top priority and got their packages before people that pre-ordered on the 17th and even some back in July of 2012.

Yeah...All in all a cautionary tale on how not to run a business.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    So, someone at GameFAQs did a thing for all us min-maxers
    It cannot have escaped most of us that finding publicly available, comprehensive information regarding familiar statistics is (at least for now) difficult to come by. As a first-order effort to ameliorate this problem, I have assembled familiar statistics for all third-level familiars. I have made this information available for download in an Excel spreadsheet at the following address:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5652367/Familiars.xlsx

The sheet also contains affinities/weaknesses, and the types of equipment each familiar may wear (although not the equipment data itself).

For those interested in managing the familiars they choose to train, here are the top ten familiars in various statistics:
    Attack
    1. Catastroceros 452
    2. Demoliceros 431
    3. Hurlabaloo 377
    4. Bone Baron 366
    5. Stressy Plessie 365
    6. Hurlcules 357
    7. Najapatra 350
    8. Blessy Plessie 343
    8. Mahanaja 343
    10. Papa Sasquash 341

Defense
    1. Umberwood 475
    1. Wildwood 475
    3. Scrapdragon 418
    3. Napdragon 418
    5. Neolith 402
    5. Paleolith 402
    7. Thundragorer 379
    8. Snaptrap 369
    9. Claptrap 361
    10. Hierophant 352

Mag. Atk.
    1. Honky-Tonker 422
    2. Snipper 388
    3. Lesser Spotted Naiad 387
    4. Trumpy-Pumper 382
    5. Greater Naiad 380
    6. Acee 373
    7. Turban Myth 372
    7. Sweetpea Sprite 372
    9. Turban Legend 365
    10. Thundragorer 364

Mag. Def.
    1. Tokotocold 433
    2. Docotoko 420
    3. Petramander 401
    4. Water Balloonatic 399
    5. Pyromander 392
    6. Sweet Bream 363
    7. Hot-Air Balloonatic 351
    8. Lesser Spotted Naiad 345
    9. Greater Naiad 335
    10. Siestar Fish 333

Evasion
    1. Tokotocold 770
    1. Docotoko 770
    3. Nightcap 404
    3. Madcap 404
    5. Snowhawk 391
    6. Aye-Aye Sir 382
    7. Prohawk 379
    8. Honky-Tonker 360
    8. Aye-Aye Catcher 360
    8. Jabberguppy 360

Accuracy
    1. Sniper Spitoo 441
    2. Wimpeafowl 433
    3. Grumpeafowl 433
    4. Lickety-Spitoo 426
    5. Psych Tyke 406
    6. Pike Tyke 393
    7. Honky-Tonker 382
    8. Duck-Billed Bopper 364
    9. Trumpy-Pumper 362
    10. Nightcap 348

Total Stats
    1. Nightcap 1988
    2. Madcap 1972
    3. Honky-Tonker 1935
    4. Pyromander 1877
    5. Petramander 1869
    6. Tokotocold 1868
    7. Docotoko 1862
    8. Scrapdragon 1792
    9. Triumphant 1768
    10. Hierophant 1767

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    YOUR MEOWJESTY.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    This game is plenty beatable without min/maxing, right? I think I'd prefer to be able to pick familiars based on their general alignment and overall appeal, rather than having the absolute best stats.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    This game is plenty beatable without min/maxing, right? I think I'd prefer to be able to pick familiars based on their general alignment and overall appeal, rather than having the absolute best stats.
    Of course it is. That's why it's called min-maxing and not "use this team or die" :P

Some post game stuff may require a bit more planning/tweaking, but you're fine just using what you want until then.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I do not think I have been in this much love with a game since Red Dead Redemption.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Wait, those sound familiar.
    Lesser Spotted Naiad and Greater Naiad.

http://www.pikminwiki.com/Jellyfloat

• Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    Oh god, in the time between learning how to tame and getting to my next story area I have SO MANY FAMILIARS. Without even trying, really, just had to make a run back to Ding Dong Dell for something and tamed along the way.

Must focus... must not try to level them all... must focus...

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    "Catastroceros", by my pun-sense, would be related to those "Little Bighorn" things.

PLA on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    I finally got broken of my habit of taming every goddamn monster available once I got the ship. Because seriously, while I guess I *could* level like mad and tame everything in the ocean right fucking now...that seems impractical.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »
    "Catastroceros", by my pun-sense, would be related to those "Little Bighorn" things.

I think they are higher forms of the rhino guys.

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    I finally got broken of my habit of taming every goddamn monster available once I got the ship. Because seriously, while I guess I *could* level like mad and tame everything in the ocean right fucking now...that seems impractical.

i tame one of everything that pops a heart for me, because why not. just stocking up the familiar retreat you know.

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    I'm trying to get into this game; I really am.... but... it's like playing a game that was geared towards kids (should have been obvious with the "E" for everyone label, I guess).

Animation is great, voice acting is the standard similar to most Miyazaki works. Gameplay is alright, though simple. It's just; I don't know. Hard for me to get into.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I'm trying to get into this game; I really am.... but... it's like playing a game that was geared towards kids (should have been obvious with the "E" for everyone label, I guess).

Animation is great, voice acting is the standard similar to most Miyazaki works. Gameplay is alright, though simple. It's just; I don't know. Hard for me to get into.

Play a little further into the game to the battles that are not geared for kids.

• Options

I'm actually finding the pleasant light-heartedness of the game to be very refreshing when most games these days are full of so much drama and angst. It also taps into that rare element of whimsical fancy that is all but absent in today's AAA games.

delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    I am so over leveled. I ran into like four enemy groups with a mob that gives 9000 xp per kill. And I was over leveled even before that!

It's kind of beautiful.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I am so over leveled. I ran into like four enemy groups with a mob that gives 9000 xp per kill. And I was over leveled even before that!

It's kind of beautiful.

whoa, where did you find that?

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    So I'm a little over 10 hours in now.

Some thoughts. Spoilers through Al Mamoon:
    a) Beautiful game.

b) Switched back to English VA because there were aspects of the Japanese VA that I didn't really like either. Each VA has its pros and cons. Might as well stick to English - it's grown on me at this point.

c) HATE the Great Sage's personality in the temple. I quit playing FFIX about when you get up to the Oglop King. I loathe goofy characters like this. I mean, even in a game like this, there's still some semblance of realism which I feel the Great Sage breaks. Ugh.

d) Over 9 hours to get the ability to tame familiars. Really?

e) Absolutely PISSED that I was forced to metamorphose my Mite at the temple. What the fuck?

f) WHY DO YOU MOVE SO DAMN SLOW IN STORES, OLIVER? Though I found a trick for this...

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Oh and the jump merit badge ability is way overpowered.
    It lets you move faster in stores. :)

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I love the naivete and the tone. It's actually refreshing, and it meshes really well with the whole "let's go on an adventure" theme. This is the feeling Miyamoto describes when talking about creating Zelda.
    The superficial lightheartedness is not to be confused with childshness. There are some pretty dark themes running below it, and they're treated with due gravity.

One thing I love is how POLITE Oliver is all the time. It's heartwarming. The little heartbreak quests are amazing too, I feel really good playing this.

And I didn't mind how long it took until I got to tame familiars... It feels a natural progression when taken inside the Story's context. I also have mastered each previous skill quite decently when I got to that point. The pacing is really consistent between plot and gameplay.

Finally, the Trial of Friendship was really cool.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I love the naivete and the tone. It's actually refreshing, and it meshes really well with the whole "let's go on an adventure" theme. This is the feeling Miyamoto describes when talking about creating Zelda.
    The superficial lightheartedness is not to be confused with childshness. There are some pretty dark themes running below it, and they're treated with due gravity.

One thing I love is how POLITE Oliver is all the time. It's heartwarming. The little heartbreak quests are amazing too, I feel really good playing this.

And I didn't mind how long it took until I got to tame familiars... It feels a natural progression when taken inside the Story's context. I also have mastered each previous skill quite decently when I got to that point. The pacing is really consistent between plot and gameplay.

Finally, the Trial of Friendship was really cool.

I really like the tone and I don't have much issue with the pacing.

But the
    Great Sage

kind of pissed me off. Hard to explain.

It's not a big deal. It was a blip and I'm past that section, but I really felt like it was a complete dip in quality and a bizarre tonal shift.