As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Monday, February 4, 2013 - A Teachable Moment

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited February 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Poor Mr. Fenwald.

YL9WnCY.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    That second panel sure is something special.

• Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    Ahhhhhhhh.

What the fuck. Fuck you, Gabe.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    My goodness.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    gabe has finished his transformation into jon kricfalusi

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    His glasses match his shirt but not his iPhone case.

• AustralopitenicoAustralopitenico Registered User regular
    Gabe has this wonderful gift of grossing out people.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    The description is apt.

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    uh oh, not stereotyping swarthy people again are we?

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    He might be stereotyping maths teachers.

My dad teaches maths, and that picture is... disconcertingly accurate. Apart from the context, luckily.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    I immediately went to the Googles to hunt down said "naked" reefer wielding schoolteacher photos..... I was disappointed by the results.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    uh oh, not stereotyping swarthy people again are we?

Don't even joke about this.

You could summon them so easily.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    On the moon.

• TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    The middle panel and the last line, man. Love it.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    So did another teacher scandal happen recently?

• Tsunami1313Tsunami1313 Registered User new member
    Please tell me that isn't the pump on a lotion bottle in the bottom right of middle panel :|

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Please tell me that isn't the pump on a lotion bottle in the bottom right of middle panel :|

More likely a soap dispenser, panel appears to depict a bathroom mirror self-shot.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Dat placewhereneckbeardbecomeschesthair

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Caught this story a bit before this comic came out:

Please respect this person's right to privacy.

Please refrain from re-posting their picture in this thread.

• AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    Guy is a little chubbier than my math teacher, but he has the baldness, the glasses and the general creep down to a T.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Rolo wrote: »

What now?

Edit: Aha. I didn't realize this was a specific incident! I'd assumed this was just making fun of the rash of teachers getting caught making bad decisions lately, slammed against social media in general.

That said, there's not much right to privacy when the person in question is tweeting the pictures of themselves, thereby deliberately making them public. :P

For those who shouldn't google at work (and maybe you shouldn't), if I've found the right story: A 23 year old math teacher apparently did quite a bit of posting pictures of herself in various states of undress "twerking" for the camera. Obviously this was discovered.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I wonder how many years, if any, it will be before people start realizing that posting objectionable self photos to public spaces is dumb.

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Dumb. Dumb never changes...

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I wonder how many years, if any, it will be before people start realizing that posting objectionable self photos to public spaces is dumb.

It's been going on long enough at this point that it will be going on forever: The rate that people are learning is lower than the rate that they are making new people.

Darkewolfe wrote: »

What now?

Edit: Aha. I didn't realize this was a specific incident! I'd assumed this was just making fun of the rash of teachers getting caught making bad decisions lately, slammed against social media in general.

That said, there's not much right to privacy when the person in question is tweeting the pictures of themselves, thereby deliberately making them public. :P

For those who shouldn't google at work (and maybe you shouldn't), if I've found the right story: A 23 year old math teacher apparently did quite a bit of posting pictures of herself in various states of undress "twerking" for the camera. Obviously this was discovered.

Sorry, maybe "right to privacy" isn't the correct term.

I'm just critical of the media mindset of "someone has unintentionally exposed their private life in a publicly accessible forum, let's broadcast every last shred of their information to the rest of the world."

I'm not really convinced that her ability to teach would be impaired by her occasionally smoking weed or taking titillating selfies in her private time, but she'll probably lose her job over this just because of the media shit storm now associated with her name.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

A noble thought with regards to one's own sense of morality. But also, attempting to shut the gate after the horse has not only bolted, but the horse's owner has pretty much burned down the entire barn in a desperate bid for attention.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

A noble thought with regards to one's own sense of morality. But also, attempting to shut the gate after the horse has not only bolted, but the horse's owner has pretty much burned down the entire barn in a desperate bid for attention.

I haven't been following the situation, what does this refer to?

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »

Much like practicing safe sex, Some people will never learn or care. I suspect that those that care have already learned, but what puzzles me is how there is still an overlap between "those that don't care" and "educators." My teacher friends won't let themselves be photographed holding a drink, let alone half naked talking about bringing drugs to school.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    KalTorak wrote: »

I suppose I might be wrong, but if posting racy photos of yourself in the public domain along with confessions of breaking drug law, isn't a bid for attention, the only other explanation I can think of is some kind of planned career suicide.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

I suppose I might be wrong, but if posting racy photos of yourself in the public domain along with confessions of breaking drug law, isn't a bid for attention, the only other explanation I can think of is some kind of planned career suicide.

Perhaps she has a teaching addiction and this was the only way she saw to stay on the wagon.

edited February 2013
    If one of the things we want kids to learn is, "Don't post pictures of yourself in the nude or doing illegal things" then maybe she IS a bad teacher. Unless we're going for the ultimate double reversal and saying she's teaching them by making an example of herself.

I can only do this trick once, kids...

Darkewolfe on
    If one of the things we want kids to learn is, "Don't post pictures of yourself in the nude or doing illegal things" then maybe she IS a bad teacher. Unless we're going for the ultimate double reversal and saying she's teaching them by making an example of herself.

Nude pictures and the drug equivalent of having a few glasses of wine is so far down my list of moral outrages that I really don't have a problem with it if someone does them in their own time.

As far as I'm concerned the only real problem here is "not sufficiently protecting your online identity from your need for real-life privacy", which seems to be an increasingly common lapse in judgement these days.

What bugs me more than this is when it happens to people who posted stuff way before they became teachers and tried to scrub it. "Stuff" including pictures of themselves holding a cup that might contain alcohol.

edited February 2013

Nude pictures and the drug equivalent of having a few glasses of wine is so far down my list of moral outrages that I really don't have a problem with it if someone does them in their own time.

As far as I'm concerned the only real problem here is "not sufficiently protecting your online identity from your need for real-life privacy", which seems to be an increasingly common lapse in judgement these days.

On any given event, it doesn't bother me. It's been made pretty clear, however, that it's not something you should do, because it inevitably results in scandal. Therefore it's not so much that the individual committed this largely non-starter of an offense, it's that she displayed a clear lack of judgement by not foreseeing the scandal that would come of it.

And have your opinion on drug use as you want, there are plenty of them. It's still a crime, so at the least someone smart wouldn't be documenting it for others.

Darkewolfe on
    edited February 2013
    I haven't really read about what she did but it's super possible that she meant for these photos to be private but they ended up public because each day people interact with like 40 different services, all with different ways to set your privacy settings and different defaults and different Terms of Service that constantly change and different permission settings with respect to each other and blah blah blah. It's 100% possible to post something you think is private that somehow ends up public. It happened to Mark Fucking Zuckerberg, High Lord of Facebook, who you would think would be able to keep photos private it he wanted to, right? Wrong.

Between friends sharing things accidentally, services sharing things you didn't think they were sharing, and other stuff, people who aren't tech-savvy can easily make a silly mistake and then have their entire life ruined. Like, honestly, if this woman's dream was to be a teacher, she's fucked. And even if she doesn't have her heart set on being a teacher, she's still kind of fucked. Nobody deserves to have anything bad happen to them for accidentally posting pictures of themselves doing something perfectly acceptable.

If these are on twitter then it's even more understandable how it might have been on accident. The difference between a private message and something that billions of people can see is like, one letter, right? And twitter doesn't ask you to confirm or anything, it just tweets it, right?

TychoCelchuuu on
    Is smoking weed a crime in her particular state?

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Is smoking weed a crime in her particular state?

Not going to take the time to track down where the story's from, it probably is, seeing as only two states have legalized non-medicinal weed and I think both still have some serious restrictions.

Isn't it still a federal crime to have anything to do with marijuana?

I haven't really read about what she did but it's super possible that she meant for these photos to be private but they ended up public because each day people interact with like 40 different services, all with different ways to set your privacy settings and different defaults and different Terms of Service that constantly change and different permission settings with respect to each other and blah blah blah. It's 100% possible to post something you think is private that somehow ends up public. It happened to Mark Fucking Zuckerberg, High Lord of Facebook, who you would think would be able to keep photos private it he wanted to, right? Wrong.

Between friends sharing things accidentally, services sharing things you didn't think they were sharing, and other stuff, people who aren't tech-savvy can easily make a silly mistake and then have their entire life ruined. Like, honestly, if this woman's dream was to be a teacher, she's fucked. And even if she doesn't have her heart set on being a teacher, she's still kind of fucked. Nobody deserves to have anything bad happen to them for accidentally posting pictures of themselves doing something perfectly acceptable.

If these are on twitter then it's even more understandable how it might have been on accident. The difference between a private message and something that billions of people can see is like, one letter, right? And twitter doesn't ask you to confirm or anything, it just tweets it, right?

Posting nudes of oneself on the internet doing something illegal, private or not, is fucking stupid. You can have an opinion on whether any single activity is acceptable to you, but overall, the act of taking pictures of yourself doing these things and then putting them on the internet, which has been proven to be, by its very nature, inherently public, is fucking stupid. People get to make mistakes, but these are monumental mistakes to make.

That isn't to say that it's not possible to feel pity for the woman. She just made some incredibly dumb mistakes, and I think all things considered, I'd rather teachers be smarter than that.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    People are saying it's unintentional, like her pictures got hacked or something. She put them up on twitter. You put something up on twitter because you want it to be public. If you really want a certain someone to see a picture, you can email it to them. And if its just for her, she can keep it in a book in her house. What possible reason do you put something up on any site on the internet that isn't just a cloud storage site unless you want people to see it?