As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer: The Game of Fantasy Battles

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    if your taking 2k pts just take the TK instead of the prince and drop the horsemen, they aren't worth the plastic they were made of.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Draeven wrote: »
    if your taking 2k pts just take the TK instead of the prince and drop the horsemen, they aren't worth the plastic they were made of.

I disagree, a cheap unit of skeleton light horsemen are an awesome flanker, and one of the only decently mobile core choices Tomb Kings have.

Personally I'd say upgrade one liche to a LHP, drop the scrolls and pick up a hieratic jar, along with a cloak of dunes for the hierophant. This will keep him mobile, and give you an extra bound spell for when you're in a pinch/want to dispell bait your opponent. Drop the swarms, and pick up a scorpion.
    You'd really benefit by dropping the shields on a unit or two of skeleton warriors, and bumping them up to 25 deep. This will give you an extra +2 to combat resolution, which will help you win causing your opponent to autobreak. At that point your chances of catching the unit and overrunning it are very high.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • DefunkerDefunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, about half of all the players at the shop I play at, use Wood Elves.

How the fuck do I counter treemen? With Vampire Counts.

Defunker on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

I disagree, a cheap unit of skeleton light horsemen are an awesome flanker, and one of the only decently mobile core choices Tomb Kings have.

Personally I'd say upgrade one liche to a LHP, drop the scrolls and pick up a hieratic jar, along with a cloak of dunes for the hierophant. This will keep him mobile, and give you an extra bound spell for when you're in a pinch/want to dispell bait your opponent. Drop the swarms, and pick up a scorpion.
    You'd really benefit by dropping the shields on a unit or two of skeleton warriors, and bumping them up to 25 deep. This will give you an extra +2 to combat resolution, which will help you win causing your opponent to autobreak. At that point your chances of catching the unit and overrunning it are very high.

Im probably going to bump up the skeletons to 25 each anyway, but the list was made using the models I have at hand/cheap to obtain. I do have a cunning plan, which basiclly involves using my skeletons pretty much as walls. The skeles charge and hold the enemy for as long as possible (hence the sheilds) and my chariots and cav just roll along the enemy line negating ranks one at a time. I was tempted on the liche priest, I might drop the tomb guard (Yeah i know there awsome but dropping them means I can probably squeeze in 2-3 scorpians, which with there ICFB might be more usefull to my general plan), but I whould probably take two princes if that was the case. (And hell a T5 hero with 3w for 100 points there fucking awsome.)
    Defunker wrote: »

Four ways. 1) Magic. Tree spirts dont get there ward against it so gaze of nagash away 2) A Unit of 25 skeletons will beat a tree man. Its impossible for him to win. You have a 6CR basic, and even if the treeman wounds with all 6 attacks hes going to lose be cause you have a musician. Of course this is risky because theres no guarantee he will break. 3)Fell bats. There pretty cheap and incredibly mobile, just the thing to tie it up early game and keep it there. March block it until it gets close then charge it. 4) The infamous Zombie Speedbump. Summon zombies in a single line on a 45degree angle so that the line is 1 inch away from on of the corners. If the treeman was going to charge a unit in its next move, it can now only charge the zombies, or move around them, losing its charge. (Note that this works better on non monsters, who will use up much more movement going around it)

Norgoth on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Uh? Vampires would probably do... Just give one a great axe and yell "tiiimberrrr" when rolling the dice...
    Or magic up a unit of skeletons behind it where it can't march then just annoy it for the rest of the game.
    Or you could just ignore it completely as it's a huge point sink that loses most of its teeth against the undead, on account of them not caring that its a terrifying monstrosity.
    Trust me you will have bigger problems to deal with than a treeman.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

Those fucking dancers for one. Two attacks a piece, and they get to pick a dance for a ward save, or an extra attack or whatever. Man, fuck those guys. Damn Wood Elves.

3lwap0 on
    edited August 2007
    3lwap0 wrote: »

Those fucking dancers for one. Two attacks a piece, and they get to pick a dance for a ward save, or an extra attack or whatever. Man, fuck those guys. Damn Wood Elves.

Wardancers are one attack basic. However they have "wardancer weapons" Which count as two hand weapons, as well as giving +1s on the charge. As well as the ward save (4+) and +1 attack dance, they can also do a killing blow dance, and a strike first dance (but they lose an attack doing this) Wardancers are amazing on the charge, a unit of 10 has 31 s4 attacks, but remember that they cant use the same dance twice in a row.

Norgoth on
    edited August 2007
    Norgoth wrote: »

Wardancers are one attack basic. However they have "wardancer weapons" Which count as two hand weapons, as well as giving +1s on the charge. As well as the ward save (4+) and +1 attack dance, they can also do a killing blow dance, and a strike first dance (but they lose an attack doing this) Wardancers are amazing on the charge, a unit of 10 has 31 s4 attacks, but remember that they cant use the same dance twice in a row.

What was ridiculous, was when my unit of grave guard actually got a charge off on the bastards. And then they go ahead and do the dance that lets them attack first, even when they get charged. D:

And yeah, I was just bogging down the treemen with summoned zombies, but there we a couple of problems. One, it burnt up all of my power dice (the guy was heavy on the anti-magic stuff, too. He changed his list in front of me, after he found out what army I was playing. :|). Second, the treeman was right in the middle of the field, which really got in the way of my movement phase. Not to mention the treekin on my flank.

I found out just how badly bat swarms suck in close combat. That was fun.

Defunker on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2007
    He changed his list in front of me, after he found out what army I was playing. :|). .

I dunno if that's accepted practice or anything, but that's pretty fucking weak if you ask me. I hope you ridiculed him apropriately.

3lwap0 on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    He changed his list in front of me, after he found out what army I was playing. :|). .

I dunno if that's accepted practice or anything, but that's pretty fucking weak if you ask me. I hope you ridiculed him apropriately.

well, it's kinda shitty

but at the same time it's what he was doing and what most people do
    the only difference is that he did it ahead of time

it would be super shitty if he changed it according to his list
    but adapting an army to another is something just about everybody does

PiptheFair on
    edited August 2007
    PiptheFair wrote: »

Yeah, I guess so. In my mighty empires game, everyone will be doing it, except maybe me, since Ogre Kingdoms have maybe, 10 units total.

3lwap0 on
    edited August 2007

Yeah, I guess so. In my mighty empires game, everyone will be doing it, except maybe me, since Ogre Kingdoms have maybe, 10 units total.

If you play with a set group of people long enough, you find that people tend not to change there lists as much. I mean I know Ill come up against orcs/Chaos dwarves/empire, so Ive got things in my army that can help against all three, and my list becomes more balanced. Making some list thats super tailored to beat one opponent is bad practice, if you know people who do this, throw them a curve ball. Like say your normally play a blood dragons army with just ghouls as core and tons of Black Knights and grave guard, and expecting this your opponent swaps his list to containt lots of high strength killing blow units, shock him bringing mass units of zombies and winning via combat res.

Then again if were talking like changing his list like, as your deploying, hes bang out of order. Its general etiquette that if your at the table, lists are locked.

Norgoth on
    edited August 2007

well, it's kinda shitty

Oh yeah, no. We'd just finish setting up terrian, we were about to roll for sides. He asked me how many spellcasters I had, I answered, being the sport that I am.

Then he went and said "Ummmm, okay I have to fix something real quick."

I was all like D:.

It kinda set the theme for the game.

Defunker on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Adapting your army to suit your opponent is for wusses!

Well, okay, I guess it's acceptable in many situations. It's fun to build an army without knowing your opponent, though. Knockout tournaments with random matches are fun for this.

SUPERSUGA on
    edited August 2007
    Oh yeah, no. We'd just finish setting up terrian, we were about to roll for sides. He asked me how many spellcasters I had, I answered, being the sport that I am.

Yeah, that's kinda weaksauce. For future reference, the correct answer to that question right before a roll is "Fuck you, that's how many."*

*You probably shouldn't do this.

3lwap0 on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    yeah, screw that. You make a list and are setting up terrain and some guys changes his list to info he just learned ? yeah screw that. you make alist and go with it. screw that guy. next time he asks lie to him >:)_

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

well, it's kinda shitty

oh man fuck that, that is some dirty shit

PiptheFair on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Next time you see him ask for a rematch because the first one didn't count on the fact that he cheated.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    How many casters do I have? THIS MANY! *flipoff*

I hate people like that. You should have said "whoops... now I have to change something around, too", just to see if he complained. I remember one guy got really mad at me because I wouldn't tell him how many dispel scrolls I had. I told him, very nicely, to play high elves and take that one annoying bound spell if he wanted to know so badly.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dispel Scrolls is something that we never reveal until they are used. You could have none, you could have 8, never tell.

Sharp101 on
  • laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I've always played on the assumption that once we started set up, lists were done. I usually keep a few lists to cover any types of armies I might expect to face, and maybe one or two specialized ones to cover more specific weaknesses. Once we've started setup, though, my list isn't going to change and I expect the same from my opponent.

Asking your opponent about his list before setting up your own is poor sportsmanship.

laughingfuzzball on
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well, today, at my club we will be testing a Card System for Random Mission Generation based on what someone posted over on warseer.
    The inspiration for this is that we have all been getting a little sick of standard Pitched Battles and, last week, I was playing Lizardmen. We decided that in addition to the normal victory conditions, 1/2 way through the game 2 warpstone chunks would fall from the sky and land 3d6" in a random direction form the centre of the table. Each was worth 200 VP. It turned into a very exciting game where I managed to scape a Minor Victory by holding both of them despite the fact that my remaining army consisted of 18 Giant Rats, 20 Slaves and about 15 Clannies while he still had a full unit of Skinks, and a bunch of Sauruses running around.
    We both enjoyed the game and it spiced up proceedings, so we are going to see how this random system works.

So, do you guys just play Pitched Battles or do you try random wacky shit too?

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
    edited August 2007
    Strangely I've found myself playing Pitched Battles in fantasy for the most part. This is unusual as when it comes to 40k I'm all about the scenarios. Somehow it feels like 40k is just more suited to having a bunch of objectives or special things going on.

Afterall, as we all know, Fantasy is serious business and 40k is for stupids.

SUPERSUGA on
  • UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    Dispel Scrolls is something that we never reveal until they are used. You could have none, you could have 8, never tell.

Oh I know... magical items, the nature of magical standards, and assassins are on a strictly need to know basis. I think the number of dispel dice and casting dice can be kept secret as well, but I usually tell if asked.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »

Obviously, which is why I have a 40k Av and sig.

In terms of what we are going to try, the victory conditions will generally use the standard rules so, for units, standards etc as well as something else. These extra conditions I have generally taken from battle reports and tournaments, such as double VPs for Standards, Take and Hold and the like.

For deploymnet, I have added Quarters and Angles, based on a Fantasy Tournament the club ran a while ago. In that case it worked really well, so Ill see how this 1st version goes.

Ill post on whether it works or not sometime later.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
    edited August 2007
    So I got talked into starting a game of Mordheim with a bunch of the guys who game at my local GW.
    I'm playing because it's a good excuse to get back to work on some of my skaven models. As I've already started a Bubonic Court army, I'm just going to use the Clan Pestilens list from the website.
    How does this look for 500pts? I've never played Mordheim so I'm trying to figure this out as best I can.
    Plague lord - 85 pts
    Halberd - 10
    Light Armor -20
    Helmet - 10
    sling - 2

Total - 127

Pestilens Sorcerer - 45
    Light Armor - 20
    Sling - 2

Total - 67

Plague Monk - 45
    Censer - 40

total - 85

Monk Initiate - 25
    sword - 10
    sling - 2

Total 37

Monk Initiate - 25
    sword -10

Total - 35

Monk Initiate - 25
    sword -10

Total - 35

Plague Novice - 20 each x 5
    sling - 2
    dagger - 2

Total - 110

Total 496 pts

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
    edited August 2007
    Exitus wrote: »
    SUPERSUGA wrote: »

Obviously, which is why I have a 40k Av and sig.
    Don't say that! It could be an Epic Av and BFG Sig, both of which are also serious business.

I kid, of course, I love me some 40k.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So I got talked into starting a game of Mordheim with a bunch of the guys who game at my local GW.
    I'm playing because it's a good excuse to get back to work on some of my skaven models. As I've already started a Bubonic Court army, I'm just going to use the Clan Pestilens list from the website.
    How does this look for 500pts? I've never played Mordheim so I'm trying to figure this out as best I can.
    Plague lord - 85 pts
    Halberd - 10
    Light Armor -20
    Helmet - 10
    sling - 2

Total - 127

Pestilens Sorcerer - 45
    Light Armor - 20
    Sling - 2

Total - 67

Plague Monk - 45
    Censer - 40

total - 85

Monk Initiate - 25
    sword - 10
    sling - 2

Total 37

Monk Initiate - 25
    sword -10

Total - 35

Monk Initiate - 25
    sword -10

Total - 35

sling - 2
    dagger - 2

Total - 110

Total 496 pts
    Looks pretty good there, you even managed to figure out that you need to max out on heroes if you actually want to get any money (most new Mordheim players miss this completely). Just one thing though; armour.
    Don't bother - it's overpriced for the protection it grants and will only ever be worth it on your leader and then only maybe. You definitely don't need to start with it. Helmets and shields yes, but not body armour. Also, I'm pretty sure that mages can't use magic and wear armour at the same time, not without a feat at least.

You seem to be pretty light on the missile weapons, but I'm not familiar with the clan pestilens list so that may be unavoidable.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Frosted ButtsFrosted Butts Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Plague lord - 85 pts
    Halberd - 10
    Light Armor -20
    Helmet - 10
    sling - 2

Total - 127

Pestilens Sorcerer - 45
    Light Armor - 20
    Sling - 2

Total - 67

Plague Monk - 45
    Censer - 40

total - 85

Monk Initiate - 25
    sword - 10
    sling - 2

Total 37

Monk Initiate - 25
    sword -10

Total - 35

Monk Initiate - 25
    sword -10

Total - 35

sling - 2
    dagger - 2

Total - 110

Total 496 pts

I played Skaven in Mordheim back when it was released and this list is looking pretty decent.

Slings/missile weapons are good for harassment, but if you want to go for the big dollars, I'd suggest another 2 handed weapon. I think flails are especially beastly in Mordheim, though the exact reason why escapes me at this time. (Unless the plauge monk's censor is a 2H flail, in which case you're good to go.)

Also, if you can take Veskit (or whatever his name is), the skaven hero from the Mordheim rule book, I would advise it. He's awesome to the point of being cheese.

Frosted Butts on
    lion1si5.jpg
    edited August 2007
    Plague lord - 85 pts
    Halberd - 10
    Light Armor -20
    Helmet - 10
    sling - 2

Total - 127

Pestilens Sorcerer - 45
    Light Armor - 20
    Sling - 2

Total - 67

Plague Monk - 45
    Censer - 40

total - 85

Monk Initiate - 25
    sword - 10
    sling - 2

Total 37

Monk Initiate - 25
    sword -10

Total - 35

Monk Initiate - 25
    sword -10

Total - 35

sling - 2
    dagger - 2

Total - 110

Total 496 pts

I played Skaven in Mordheim back when it was released and this list is looking pretty decent.

Slings/missile weapons are good for harassment, but if you want to go for the big dollars, I'd suggest another 2 handed weapon. I think flails are especially beastly in Mordheim, though the exact reason why escapes me at this time. (Unless the plauge monk's censor is a 2H flail, in which case you're good to go.)

Also, if you can take Veskit (or whatever his name is), the skaven hero from the Mordheim rule book, I would advise it. He's awesome to the point of being cheese.

Yeah, the censer is also a flail.
    I'll look into the Armor thing.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
    edited August 2007
    Two things have struck me as odd when working on my tomb kings. A) All the musicians use trumpets. Skeletons, with no lungs, using trumpets. Also B) The tomb king is bigger than a space marine.

Norgoth on
    edited August 2007
    Two things have struck me as odd when working on my tomb kings. A) All the musicians use trumpets. Skeletons, with no lungs, using trumpets. Also B) The tomb king is bigger than a space marine.

Tomb Kings musicians always confuse me, as we have no morale. They're really only good for breaking ties, so I typically only run one in my entire army.
    Also, the tomb king is one of the toughest hero units in the game. I had one break a tree man.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
    edited August 2007

Tomb Kings musicians always confuse me, as we have no morale. They're really only good for breaking ties, so I typically only run one in my entire army.
    Also, the tomb king is one of the toughest hero units in the game. I had one break a tree man.

T5, 3 wounds, Ws 5, for 100 points? Yes please. With the tactic im going for, my blocks of skeles have musicians in order to get as many wins as possible.

Norgoth on
    edited August 2007
    Give the king a great weapon and you're S7 too.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
    edited August 2007

Give him armor of the ages and golden ankhra ands hes S7 with 5 wounds and a 4+ armor and 4+ ward

Norgoth on
    edited August 2007

Give him armor of the ages and golden ankhra ands hes S7 with 5 wounds and a 4+ armor and 4+ ward

And now he's mega expensive.
    It works sometimes, but that 6 pt great weapon is always a bargain.
    (Unless you're in a chariot, then I take the spear of antharak or the flail of skulls.)

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
    edited August 2007

(Unless you're in a chariot, then I take the spear of antharak or the flail of skulls.)

Kings get expensive really fast, but princes are the best heroes hands down. Even with no magic items there crazy cheap for what they are.

Norgoth on
    edited August 2007

Kings get expensive really fast, but princes are the best heroes hands down. Even with no magic items there crazy cheap for what they are.

Princes can turn a laughably bad unit of skeleton warriors into a little roving block of death.
    In higher point games I try to run two with a LHP and a LP.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
    edited August 2007

Princes can turn a laughably bad unit of skeleton warriors into a little roving block of death.
    In higher point games I try to run two with a LHP and a LP.

Yeah I alterd my list after your inital adivce to that set up, hopefully this is what ill run with now
    Liche High Priest
    Cloak of the Dunes
    Nefferas Plaques of mighty incantation
    Golden Ankhra 340

Tomb Prince
    Armour of the Ages
    Shield 137

Tomb Prince
    Spear of Antarhak
    Light Armour
    Shield

Liche Priest
    Hieratic Jar
    Dispel Scroll

25 Skeletons
    Hand Weapons
    Shields
    Light Armour
    Full command 250

25 Skeletons
    Hand Weapons
    Shields
    Light Armour
    Full command 250

25 Skeletons
    Bows 200

3 Chariots
    Command 170

8 Heavy Horsemen
    Command 163

Tomb Scorpian 85

Screaming Skull Catapult 110
    Skulls of the foe

Norgoth on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    anyone play dwarves?

I need a fantasy rulebook, and I'd rather get the box set with the goblins than have to spend fifty bones just for a hardcover version of the same damn thing without all the extra goodies, but I hope to split a small part of the cost with someone who could actually use the stumpies models.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
This discussion has been closed.