As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Witcher 3: Horse training simulator.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I was one of those hateful people who really loved the alchemy in both games.
    I got anxious if I didn't have any empty potion flasks lying around.
    I would break off what I was doing to root around for more catseye ingredients or pick health flowers.

I memorised the names and locations of important ingredients and made sure to double check them every time I went past for more.

I was That Guy.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    I've got hunger/thirst/sleep/camping/hypothermia/etc modded into my Skyrim install. I actually find that kind of thing to add a lot to the experience.

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    I don't really care about thirst/hunger/sleep requirements, but for those who do like that maybe it could be on one of the crazy difficult levels.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    They could probably painlessly add it to an optional game mode.

I really grew to love the gathering/foraging/survival aspect of alchemy. My geralt in 1 was permanently seeing red flecks across his vision. Even during important moments. I like to think he had slightly bloodshot eyes and maybe a twitch from all the potions he had constantly ingested.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    OH MAH GAWD

pre amnesia witchering! Yennifer! Bearded Geralt! The number 3!

Hopefully it'll rise next year when I have the means to actually play it.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    No to QTE... Just say NO!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    I loved The Witcher 2, and will preorder the The Witcher 3 the moment it becomes available

but
    The team felt it missed the huge freedom of open-world games like Skyrim

This hasn't dampened my excitement or anything, but these guys have a tendency of getting inspired from other games and trying to execute ideas that end up not working that well. Like W2's combat that was inspired by Demon's Souls. So I just hope that they can pull off the open world and make it their own thing rather than be "like Skyrim!" And I'm positive that they will pull it off. Every other bullet point on that list gives me the feeling that this will be, like, the best game ever when it comes out.

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Big Classy wrote: »
    OH MAH GAWD

More post-amnesia.
    He got his memories back the end of TW2

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    OH MAH GAWD

More post-amnesia. He got his memories back by the end of TW2, the last ones coming back during his conversation with Letho.

I assumed the game takes place during the fabled wild hunts mentioned in the books and games. That's where he loses his memory so I naturally assumed this was setup as a prequel. Assumed and hoped. Have they revealed where it sits on the timeline?

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Spoilers people. I'm still playing The Witcher 2. :(

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    I hope number 3 is where he loses his shit and stops playing nice. I want a game where Geralt has absolutely no fucks to give and is out for blood.

Sidenote though: Skyrim is nothing but a vapid tour through some nice looking real estate with absolutely shitty game mechanics. I'm hoping that all they take from Skyrim is the open world feel and nothing else.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Taranis wrote: »

That's not really a spoiler. It's in the books and mentioned in the first game.

• Options
    Taranis wrote: »

It's kinda covered through a few source material. But for your sake, this is a thread you might want to avoid until you finish the game.

• Options
    Oh @lorahalo mentions the end of witcher 2. Yah that needs spoiler tagging. Amnesia stuff is from before the games and core to the story.

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Oh @lorahalo mentions the end of witcher 2. Yah that needs spoiler tagging. Amnesia stuff is from before the games and core to the story.

Yeah that's what I was referring to. I should've quoted him.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Sorry my bad, I kinda forgot that this was a Witcher series thread and not a Witcher 3 thread.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I think Witcher 3 follows on from the second game. I will be really really disappointed if they are doing another chicken shit prequel. So sick of developers putting things into a fascinating position storyline wise and then just chickening the hell out of it by doing a prequel.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Well I wouldn't be surprised with prequel flashback segmets to fill in some of the stuff the books (which we never are getting (at this rate)) cover

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    And from what I've heard, some of the stuff in the books gets pretty out there.
    I remember somebody telling me that the Wild Hunt is a group of elves from another planet travelling between worlds, kinda like how monsters showed up in the first place. Space elves.

• Options
    I'm sure the flashbacks shall be handled as they were in the Witcher 2's unique cut scenes dialoguing what had come before, after that, it's pure gaming time for you.

• Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    CDPR has just updated their facebook cover photo; the game is officially confirmed as: "The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt"

734765_10151293602899331_1302707356_n.png

Apparently, the press conference (and hopefully reveal trailer) has been scheduled for 1 PM EST/10 AM PST

Prisca on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    SO. MUCH. HYPE.

I hope they don't resort to too many Open World / MMO tropes - fetch quests, kill x number of y, scripted chases, etc. - but I'm confident CDPR will be able to deliver an amazing experience regardless of whether it's filled with busywork or not. Day 1.

- Team wants to make the combat “more intimate”
    - “You don’t run – in the Witcher 2 you were running constantly. You walk, but your attacks are very fast. Your opponents also walk but they have charges and things like that.”
    - Geralt’s dodge roll replaced by a pivot move
    - It retains its defensive utility without game-breaking mobility
    - Attacks faster than in The Witcher 2

Roll is dead. Long live the Pivot Dodge! Combat is already sounding great, can't wait!

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Wtf is a pivot dodge? :P no, really.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    It could be any number of things. What comes to my mind is like a sidestep, swiveling around the ball or fore of one foot. Makes sense if the sword fighting's going to be closer in. But, y'know, speculation.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    http://www.gram.pl/news/2013/02/05/pierwsze-informacje-o-wiedzminie-3.shtml

Warning: machine translation ahead:
    The project is two times bigger than the team over the previous part of the
    There will be chapters, acts, or other artificial cutscenes
    Geralt no longer have memory blackouts and try to regain the lost love, will work on behalf of the empires of the north, which demanded independence and face the Wild Gon
    The team felt that the Witcher missing unfettered freedom and open world as Skyrimie
    Fighting back the horse is still in the testing phase, it is not yet clear whether the game will be
    Ships will float on the water - will be subject to the laws of physics and react realistically on the waves
    Geralt can travel from one end of the world to another with no visible loading the world through RED engine 3
    The game world will be 40x larger than in the previous game (about 20% higher than in Skyrimie)
    To traverse the world on horseback from one end to the other, you'll need 30-40 minutes
    You can travel on foot, on horseback or by boat
    For each location can be discovered rapidly move through a system of fast travel
    As he says, Konrad Tomaszkiewicz, to developers is to provide high quality mission cutscenes and highlights
    Interesting place and beautiful views will always be in sight, what will suspend eye
    Players will be encouraged to explore the musty caves, villages struggling and decaying ruins
    The Witcher 3 will offer more than 100 hours hand-designed mission
    Tasks, among other things, will involve assisting residents or rightful kings of Skellig
    Hunting monsters is an adventure, and will provide a source of income to acquire unique awards
    You will be able to participate in various mini-games, depending on the area and receive a special prize for it, but not required, to complete the story
    For example, in Skellig competition will consist of throwing knives
    Monsters, bandits, merchants and animals will attack anyone they consider an enemy
    There will be no level-scaling
    Of course, there will gain rewards and levels by fighting monsters and men
    Three different aspects of the story - hunting monsters, and deal with the little things, the political situation and the search for his love of Geralt
    In addition to performing the main tasks will be free to hunt monsters produce things and deal with reinterpretations of quests
    In the game, the political situation and attack Nilfgaard will be presented in the main thread, covering key areas: Skellig, Novigard and No Man's Land
    Each region has its own storyline
    You totally do not worry about the main plot, but must deal with the consequences - this is one of the possible choices
    Various threads in the story will intertwine and complement each other
    You will not need to do anything beyond the main thread to finish the game
    Upon completion of certain topics in a way you can get help in the important battle of ally gained in Skellig
    Highlights the main thread will affect the situation in the world. For example, if some thugs threatened the villagers, the job may disappear after certain events, if the player does not help them
    Weather effects are dynamically generated and fully modeled as clouds are characterized by volume, not painted on the plane of the sky
    In contrast to the previous section, Geralt will meet community and individuals who have problems with monsters
    This time, there is no mission-like contracts
    The left trigger on the pad activates the senses witcher
    After examining the crime scene, you can get information and collect them, they are also a source of residents
    Players will receive instructions - for example, the witcher is muttering to himself or hint will be presented in a visual, such as a scene from the past
    The time of day and other conditions will affect the appearance of monsters and their ability
    During the fight you can hit the soft spots, depending on the knowledge of the monster and used tactics
    Developers still wondering how it will be carried out during the fight, and the special attacks QTE sequences in slow motion
    The monsters can be defeated gather alchemical ingredients (not available anywhere else), the ingredients needed to craft unique items, potions and mutagens
    With mutagenom Geralt gets special powers and develops them
    The game set on the deeper feeling, not a fleeting romance - male-female relations will be handled in a mature way, as in the "talon" - you can not collect the cards
    Decisions in The Witcher 3 will be just as important as the "talon", but because the game world is open, it will not completely change under the influence of player
    Depending on major decisions, the player will be placed in other situations and will be able to play special storylines
    The game is based on the previous section, but many of the details change
    Addresses the issue of decreasing the level of difficulty
    The fight has been redesigned to provide liquidity
    Geralt will have 96 different animations in battle (in the previous game was 20)
    The camera was designed by the staff at all times were the greatest threat
    The fight was made three important changes to solve the problem of getting stuck in too long animations
    Each press is one beat, and every movement requires roughly the same amount of time to perform
    You can at any time interrupt the action to dodge or block a blow
    Geralt can still block and dodge to do when he runs out of stamina, but will lose the balance
    The creators wanted to fight was "more personal"
    The Witcher 2 ran all the time, in the "top three" in the matter, but attacks are very fast, opponents also do not run, but they can include charge
    Attacks are faster than the Witcher 2
    Reprogrammed intelligence opponents
    There is no boss fights scripted or 'canned
    Geralt will face the ice giant
    About 12 different types of objects, which can be made to interact. For example, you can annoy wasp Aard sign to distract enemies or disperse a swarm Igni, when it starts to cause problems
    The characters have been modernized - each character by investing in tree growth may change your action. Each character has a basic form, for example, looks like Igni flame thrower. Igni after the development of changes in the area attack glaring all around, and a small trap Yrden You can change a lot of room for not enemies. What is important is the improvement can also use the basic forms of characters
    The other two trees are associated with the development of sword mastery, and alchemy
    In the case of the sword unlocks new moves and items such as increased strength and evaporation
    In the case of alchemy mechanics mutations were separated from the gain the next level
    Expertise in alchemy depends mainly on potions
    Both the horse and the boat can be improved
    Players have access to the box for both their horse and in the taverns
    The team is aware that the management of inventory in the "talon" was uncomfortable, but this time it will be different
    Manufactured items can be personalized
    Some components may be replaced by other, similar - for example, can be used instead of skin scales monster, which affects the properties of the formed object
    Unique components can be found while hunting monsters or doing tasks
    Using them, using a special recipe, allows you to create powerful artifact
    Each element of the armor has a unique look
    Armor looks better, improved the simulation of the movement of clothes
    You can visit the barber and change Geralt hairstyle
    The game does not run out of puzzle solving
    The Witcher 3 will be released in 2014 for PC and "all the latest consoles." CDPR does not speak directly about the next-genes, but we can assume that it is just for them. On the cover of the game was described as "a new generation RPG."

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Woah the forum does not like editing posts that long.

Geralt can rock an awesome beard.
    witcher3cover610.jpg

• Options
    That list you translated is...um...I feel kinda funny

brb: bathroom

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    This could be really really good. Excited!

• Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    Make sure none of the cities have a layout and map as confusing as Vergen and I'll buy your game twice.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    holy fucking shit. horses, upgradable boats, motherfuckin' boss beard!

brb having a joy fit. this all sounds fantastic.

goddamn, fighting animations! one thing i really missed in witcher 2 was the dance like skills he had in 1.

DAMNIT I CANT WAIT!

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    And from what I've heard, some of the stuff in the books gets pretty out there.
    I remember somebody telling me that the Wild Hunt is a group of elves from another planet travelling between worlds, kinda like how monsters showed up in the first place. Space elves.

that's all mentioned in witcher 2, through books and flashbacks.
    the king of the wild hunt being the main leader of the group who takes geralt. they appear as specters in 1 because that's how weak mental plane travel works

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    Updated the OP best i could, still a tad messy but i don't really have time to go nuts on it.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    i like how
    the wild hunt is basically a cross-dimensional alien invasion

that's some sci-fi shit in my fantasy, like chocolate and peanut butter

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Man

That looks pretty dope

I would like a cinematic trailer at some point, though. I love devs talking about shit but I would just scream endlessly for something as simple as bearded Geralt looking down on that burning village in CGI.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    i like how

And they're
    elves.
    Eldar.
    Web-way travel.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Man

That looks pretty dope

I would like a cinematic trailer at some point, though. I love devs talking about shit but I would just scream endlessly for something as simple as bearded Geralt looking down on that burning village in CGI.

we're getting something like that in a few hours i think.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    The show-nothing announcement trailer is up. This one's lighter on deatils than most.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsse7ml89GA

Still hyped, but cmon CDPR, show us something.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    i like how

And they're
    elves.
    Eldar.
    Web-way travel.

Well if they are following folklore
    The elves are the traveling people, every six months they pick up and move to another location.

The wild hunt is the unseelie court off hunting humans.

I think I need to reshuffle the game queue and play more W2. I started but never finished the game.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I hope Mike Pondsmith is in the house. :)

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    CD project red had me at Geralt's sweet ass beard.

All these other details are just so much gravy.