As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

the BEER thread

• ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Have you guys seen these draft kegs? So far in the States Heineken is the only company offering one. They've patented the technology but I'm sure other beer companies will find their ways. I personally hope they do because its really a neat idea. This has probably been discussed earlier but I missed it. Anyway, the keg is $20 and I think it does something like 20+ 16oz beers. I thought it would be really nice for beer pong. My only gripe is that its filled with Heineken. It might be good I've never tried it. I've avoided it because its what my dad drinks and he is an alcoholic. Not saying I'll become one to but I just tried to think of it as forbidden fruit. But its just so easy. It comes with its own tap and stays fresh for 21 days after you tap it. You can get them at gas stations but thus far they're only in 9 states.

If you check out www.biertap.com you can see that a bunch of other german beer companies are doing something similar, so I hope it will catch on here in the States. I think it'd be awesome to pick up a mini-keg of your favorite brew for $15-20. I think Heineken is considered 'premium' (is it? I really dunno) beer and if you work it out the keg is cheaper than bottles, and I always buy bottles so why not? Anyone else tried one? I'll probably pick one up tomorrow night.

dsc00060.JPG

Shogun on
  • george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Code wrote: »
    george-x wrote: »
    So I tried the Pece Peach Lambic last night - not really that great, not gonna lie. Sweeter than I thought it would be, a little too carbonated, and didn't really have that distinct peach taste the way Wachusetts has that blueberry taste.

Anybody have experiences with these types of beer? Was a first for me, so far not too big a fan - especially for $8 a pint!

The Lambics are all quite sweet, peche is not my favorite, but it is still drinkable. The Framboise, however, is like a tiny bit of bottled heaven in my mouth. I highly recommend trying it as a dessert drink, with fresh brownies, it is not at all like a normal beer. That said, if you are interested in a fruit type beer, but don't want quite so much sugary taste, go out and try the RedBock. it is a flemish sour ale fermented with cherries, flavorful, and not that sweet.

tl;dr: For the love of god, try the Framboise before deciding to not like lambics.

I actually tried the Framboise the next day, and I really didn't like it too much. Way too sour and sweet - not what I was looking for.

I did stumble onto this amazing Banana Beer - literally tastes like bananas, it's unbelievable. Unfortunately I don't remember the name as I had it in a bar, but I'd love to get my hands on a sixer of that.

Shogun - That's awesome. I got one a few years back..I think it was Carlsberg... they're perfect for parties.

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I saw those draft kegs when I was in Italy last summer and it was fucking awesome. Not that many beers had them, though.

OK, I'm looking for a solid light bottled beer that I can buy a 12-pack of for $10 or less. Any recommendations? Has to be found in a supermarket.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shogun wrote: »
    Have you guys seen these draft kegs? So far in the States Heineken is the only company offering one. They've patented the technology but I'm sure other beer companies will find their ways. I personally hope they do because its really a neat idea. This has probably been discussed earlier but I missed it. Anyway, the keg is $20 and I think it does something like 20+ 16oz beers. I thought it would be really nice for beer pong. My only gripe is that its filled with Heineken. It might be good I've never tried it. I've avoided it because its what my dad drinks and he is an alcoholic. Not saying I'll become one to but I just tried to think of it as forbidden fruit. But its just so easy. It comes with its own tap and stays fresh for 21 days after you tap it. You can get them at gas stations but thus far they're only in 9 states.

If you check out www.biertap.com you can see that a bunch of other german beer companies are doing something similar, so I hope it will catch on here in the States. I think it'd be awesome to pick up a mini-keg of your favorite brew for $15-20. I think Heineken is considered 'premium' (is it? I really dunno) beer and if you work it out the keg is cheaper than bottles, and I always buy bottles so why not? Anyone else tried one? I'll probably pick one up tomorrow night.

Or you could pick up an 1/8 keg of something that doesn't suck huge balls.

geckahn on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    geckahn wrote: »

Or you could pick up an 1/8 keg of something that doesn't suck huge balls.

I've never heard of an 1/8 keg. I've seen half's and quarter's, but never an eighth. Also, should these kegs exist, they don't sell them at gas stations.

Shogun on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I saw those draft kegs when I was in Italy last summer and it was fucking awesome. Not that many beers had them, though.

OK, I'm looking for a solid light bottled beer that I can buy a 12-pack of for $10 or less. Any recommendations? Has to be found in a supermarket.

if this has to be done, get bud light. simple, and I find it more tolerable than coors or like, heineken (not sure if heineken is that cheap).

if that's not cheap enough... natty.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited August 2007
    Variable wrote: »

if this has to be done, get bud light. simple, and I find it more tolerable than coors or like, heineken (not sure if heineken is that cheap).

Oh God get Miller High Life before you get natty. A 12 of bottles here costs $9.

Natty is the absolute last resort. In fact sometimes you're better off not drinking.

Shogun on
  • Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Sold them in Australia over easter(?), went through two over the course of a weekend.

Cricket World Cup Final afaik. :)

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    What do you like about them? I don't like how Heineken tastes - it's too strident or sharp, and dries me out quickly like Corona.

Might be because I live in northern Europe, where we prefer the slightly bitterer taste of beers like that as opposed to Budweiser and Corona. Heineken is my favorite because of the smoother taste. I used to drink Tuborg, another Danish beer brand, simply because of the price, but that one is a lot less tasty.

Toldo on
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Is it carbs and calories you're worried about, or is it alcohol content? If the former, then go with Bud Select...it's as low or lower on carbs and cals as bud light and it actually manages to taste like beer. It's not heavy, but it's also not all that light, it's right in-between.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
    edited August 2007

I actually have to suggest a kind of hard to find Lion's Head beer. In bottles, very light - GREAT for parties. Doesn't taste like ass - it's a fantastic college secret. Plus, you can get a case of 30 bottles for like 12$

george-x on
    roster.gif
    edited August 2007
    Toldo wrote: »
    I used to drink Tuborg

Tuborg!! Wow I totally forgot this existed. I used to drink this when I was young and I'd visit family in Europe. Awesome

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Toldo wrote: »
    I used to drink Tuborg

Tuborg!! Wow I totally forgot this existed. I used to drink this when I was young and I'd visit family in Europe. Awesome

I drank that over in Sweden too.

Carlsberg Sort Guld was so much better. Unfortunately only available in Denmark and Sweden though.

geckahn on
    edited August 2007
    new beer for me...

Bard's Tale Beer - Dragon's Gold.

I don't even knowhow to describe it, extremely unique. sweet in a way.

also, got Hobgoblin for the second time and I like it a shitload more than the first.

Variable on
    edited August 2007
    new beer for me...

Bard's Tale Beer - Dragon's Gold.

I don't even knowhow to describe it, extremely unique. sweet in a way.

also, got Hobgoblin for the second time and I like it a shitload more than the first.

YES! I love Hobgoblin. Also gentleman, today and today only, I am officially twenty-one years of age. I look forward to the party tonight, and the hangover tomorrow. I kid, I kid. I don't want a hangover, but I fear I might not get a choice in the matter.

Shogun on
    edited August 2007
    alright this bard's tale is pretty bad. worse still, it was quite expensive.

I can drink it but I don't think I would again. ever.

Variable on
    edited August 2007
    it's just so fucking unique. I can't believe unique has become in and of itself a strong point, but it IS!

also I'm finally on beer advocate and it's the best site ever.

edit - not a strong point anymore. I'm going to ahve 2 leftover bottles of this and no idea what to do with them. maybe maybe I can finish em tomorrow.

Variable on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Happy birthday Shogun. Enjoy your day.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited August 2007
    Also gentleman, today and today only, I am officially twenty-one years of age. I look forward to the party tonight, and the hangover tomorrow. I kid, I kid. I don't want a hangover, but I fear I might not get a choice in the matter.

Happy Birthday Shogun! Make it a night to remember! (or have a problem remembering)

I went to a few brew pubs last night - went to Hop Devil Grill for their Avery Brewery tasting night. They have a white belgian wheat that tastes amazing - and a really great IPA as well. Pretty impressed with the flavor in their beer, I enjoyed it mucho.

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Warder45Warder45 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Last summer we grabbed an bells oberon version of that. I wasn't too impressed, if I remember right the spout leaked a lot. I'd rather get a mini keg.

Warder45 on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    my favorite beer so far is Hacker Pschorr

beer_draft_hacker_pschorr_weiss.jpg

Great smooth beer with a strong flavor. But be careful when pouring, it gets really foamy.

DanHibiki on
  • ThaumaturgistThaumaturgist Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thaumaturgist on
    XBL: Abiff PSN: Thaumaturgist
    http://www.suboptimist.com
  • DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh man, if you're going to drink Bell's, don't go with Oberon. Bleh. Two Hearted Ale all the way. Or Expedition, or, if you can find it for the approximately 17 minutes it is out on the shelf, Consecrator Doppelbock.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    DiscGrace wrote: »
    Oh man, if you're going to drink Bell's, don't go with Oberon. Bleh. Two Hearted Ale all the way. Or Expedition, or, if you can find it for the approximately 17 minutes it is out on the shelf, Consecrator Doppelbock.

That just sounds yummy.

Personally I've been having a fling with Long Hammer IPA, I think it's by Red Hook. Didn't really expect this, but damn is it tasty. Ran my local grocery store out of it already, hope they restock soon.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I tried a really light, delicious wheat beer today. Brewed by Troeg, it was tasty but still retained a sort of "beery" bite.

Recommended.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    is it just me or does Hoegarrden taste liek 50 times better on tap than bottled?

nexuscrawler on
    edited August 2007
    is it just me or does Hoegarrden taste liek 50 times better on tap than bottled?

I've never had it as such... I hope you're right.

Variable on
  • DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I get free beer (and food) from my favorite local brewpub at our frisbee league's finals in about half an hour. (No, my team is not playing. :P) I'm very excited. I'll be sure to remember all the details so I can gloat about them to all of you later.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

Yeah, but if you follow the pouring instructions, it is not quite as noticeable. (only liek 25 times better).

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Pants ManPants Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

does beer ever taste better bottled than on tap? seriously, i'm not sure. i mean, you'd THINK tap would always be better, but i'm no expert

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
    edited August 2007
    There are a number of bars around here where the bottled beer tastes better than what is on tap.

More than a few.

redx on
  • forbis316forbis316 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sierra Nevada Pale Ale posts a slightly higher score on Bottle as opposed to Draft on ratebeer.com. That might be due to the difference in the number of votes, though. Bottle has over 1800 while draft has less than 300. I've never done a bottle vs. draft taste test on it.

forbis316 on
    edited August 2007
    i've never had a beer that has tasted better bottled than on tap, BUT i think it might also have something to do with how clean the tap is/how much is left. because i've had some pretty skunky killian's from the tap, where other times it's great.

Pants Man on
    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
    edited August 2007
    how old the keg is also plays a role. If it is a beer they don't sell much of, it can go bad before it is all sold. Note everywhere is all the great about ensuring there stuff is fresh.

redx on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Pants Man wrote: »

does beer ever taste better bottled than on tap? seriously, i'm not sure. i mean, you'd THINK tap would always be better, but i'm no expert

seems like it always tastes better on tap to me.

belgian whites (like hoegaarden) as well as hefeweizens seem to sour much quicker in the bottle than a lot of other beers. hoegaarden in the bottle can be quite good, just not if it's been sitting on the shelf for awhile.

is Celis white good again? it was awesome when it was independently run back when, but with the ownership changes it turned to shiite. i see it's got a new label and was wondering if it was maybe good again.

Djeet on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If there was only one beer I was allowed to drink for the rest of my life, I'd be happy with Newcastle. When I can't get Newcastle, Yuengling is always my second choice.

Its been too long since I've had arrogant bastard. Damn local liquor stores are piss poor... or I'm just not looking hard enough.

Then again, if I'm playing beer pong, I'll drink damn near anything.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Beer typically tastes better on tap than in a bottle for a few reasons

1) It's usually fresher.
    2) It hasn't been exposed to nearly any UV rays, which is also the reason you should avoid beers in clear/light green bottles. Dark green/brown is the way to go.
    3) It can be kept at the right temperature/pressure. (This is a big one, as temperature/pressure mean everything.)
    4) If it's a brew that has a fermentation post-bottling, you have a larger culture which allows you to ferment more evenly.
    5) Also, when you pour a beer into a glass it is allowed to breathe a little.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited August 2007
    The awesome little nitrogen bubble packets in Boddington's and Guinness make it taste almost like it's from the tap - creamy and thick. I love Boddington cans for this reason (hate Guinness)

george-x on
    roster.gif
    edited August 2007
    The awesome little nitrogen bubble packets in Boddington's and Guinness make it taste almost like it's from the tap - creamy and thick. I love Boddington cans for this reason (hate Guinness)

yeah, me too. i don't have a problem with the thickness, it's that i think it tastes godawful. like ice cold coffee. and i freakin hate coffee

normally with most beers i can't taste that much of a difference between a tap or a bottle. i mean, i prefer tap, but i dunno. it's not like i refuse to drink anything out of the bottle

Pants Man on
  • HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Pants Man wrote: »

yeah, me too. i don't have a problem with the thickness, it's that i think it tastes godawful. like ice cold coffee. and i freakin hate coffee

normally with most beers i can't taste that much of a difference between a tap or a bottle. i mean, i prefer tap, but i dunno. it's not like i refuse to drink anything out of the bottle

I can't stand Guiness out of the can, but I really like it on tap. However, I personally prefer Smithwick's.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg