As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Beautiful [chat]

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Wash wrote: »
    What is Geth anyway? I go away for a year and y'all make some trippy changes.

geth is our robot overlord

report to your local happiness station for compliance implants

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Hahaha random off twitter
    At least the #Pope remained a faithful Catholic and pulled out early.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Geth awesoming that is fantastic

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Do you know what needs to be made into a multiplayer video game, roughly Assassin's Creed style?

Paranoia.

Man that would be tight.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Also a blink-and-you-miss cameo that I sadly blinked and missed apparently.
    TF2's Scout is in the background somewhere?! I want to see that.

Dammit RMS, you're really tempting me to go see Wreck it Ralph.

GET THEE BEHIND ME, SATAN

sig.gif
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    dporowski wrote: »
    An important, paranoid note for Cass on the movening:

DO. NOT. GIVE. HER. YOUR. NEW. ADDRESS. Full stop. Not "in case", not "well what if", just do not do it. Don't invite 'em over or nothin' for the housewarming, they will try to ruin you.

Maybe eventually if things go okay, you have them over for tea, like in a year or whatever. Maybe.

Seriously, it took me whole minutes to figure out what you meant by DPA

Well, it's not like anyone else is moving...

Also, I'm polite, we've only just been introduced, and it'd be MOST improper to assume a first-name basis!

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    also Cass it literally did not occur to me that Arbuthnot was your last name until you posted that letter

We should make a TV show

call it That's so Carrot!

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Too much info about poopin
    i seem tobe both constipated and diarrhea-stricken. How is that possible?

We talkin like a champagne bottle?
    i mean, i feel like there's more poop in me, but it won't come out...

Don't get neurotic about it, that sense isn't foolproof. The reflex that causes diarrhea can make you feel like there is perpetually more coming. It's not. Clean yourself off, stand up, go do something. Your body will realize what's up eventually.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    also Cass it literally did not occur to me that Arbuthnot was your last name until you posted that letter

It's Welsh

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    from what i gather most of afghanistan's economy is poppy farming/opium production.

the taliban allowed it because it poisoned westerners, we allow it because it makes up a huge percentage of their economy

or so i am told

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular

DO. NOT. GIVE. HER. YOUR. NEW. ADDRESS. Full stop. Not "in case", not "well what if", just do not do it. Don't invite 'em over or nothin' for the housewarming, they will try to ruin you.

Maybe eventually if things go okay, you have them over for tea, like in a year or whatever. Maybe.

Also, I'm polite, we've only just been introduced, and it'd be MOST improper to assume a first-name basis!

Uh, aside from Aaron (I'll let you figure out who that is) and BeNarwhal :P

politeness, I'll give you.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Sparvy wrote: »
    So we have this Afghan refugee over to our house every once in a while. My mother is his 'Good Man' as its called; he is underage and fled here alone so she handles all his money helps him navigate the bureaucracies of various government agencies, school etc. I guess something like a legal guardian, not sure.

Anyway he is mostly a friendly and well mannered 16 year old, but he really doesn't like america.

He also believes in some of the classic conspiracy theories about america, says America is like a mafia in Afghanistan smuggling opium and so on. Stealing kidneys that sort of thing.

I feel like maybe I should try argue with him at some point, its never good when people believe in things that wrong. But on the other hand I can't really claim to know shit about Afghanistan. And I mean we all have our delusions about the world, particularly about world politics, so maybe it isn't the hugest deal? I dunno

For one thing the opium thing is somewhat true: most of the "Northern Alliance" leaders the US aligned themselves with early in the war were bankrolled by extensive opium production. It's very hard to say if the US has or had any direct involvement there, but we'll almost certainly not get any documentary details in our lifetimes and there's a decent probability of any such documentation being lost to history (as most clandestine stuff does)

The latter doesn't happen anywhere, though. It is just straight urban legend
    The opium production in Afghanistan also shot way the fuck up after the American invasion, and to my knowledge, has never gone back down.

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Do you know what needs to be made into a multiplayer video game, roughly Assassin's Creed style?

Paranoia.

Man that would be tight.

Someone brought this up on facebook a while back, we talked about it a bit.

I honestly don't think it'd work that well. If you want to do it right, Paranoia needs the kind of creativity and flexibility that doesn't work very well in a vidcon game.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yaaaay, the prophecy has been fulfilled!

These new meds that are supposed to help me with my social anxiety have given me diarrhea! This surely bodes well for me!

My Doctor "These should help with your anxiety issues"

Side effects label "Anxiety"

Maybe I should have been clear that my problem with anxiety is I had too much of it.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Too much info about poopin
    i seem tobe both constipated and diarrhea-stricken. How is that possible?

We talkin like a champagne bottle?
    i mean, i feel like there's more poop in me, but it won't come out...

Don't get neurotic about it, that sense isn't foolproof. The reflex that causes diarrhea can make you feel like there is perpetually more coming. It's not. Clean yourself off, stand up, go do something. Your body will realize what's up eventually.

Your wisdom is great...

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    My mom and her siblings have gathered at my aunt's house to have an emergency meeting about the pope. Lol Catholics.

What goes on at a pope meeting exactly?

I'm not really sure. Perhaps preparing to offer their services to the papal conclave?

I guess that's something. If this were anything else I could see them gathering to discuss who might be granted the position next, but this isn't like politics or sports, you don't have a roster of candidates who are household names out there to discuss.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

The whole calling people by old handles or other names is a little weird for new posters. Its like old friends calling their friend George, "Skip". You just feel weird jumping right in calling them "Skip" until they give you the ok, or introduce themselves that way.

Hell, the whole "Jeep" and "Cass" thing confused the hell out of me when I first dove into chat. I'd never seen what felt like buddy names/handles used in a forum before. But I guess it makes sense when you've been posting for a long while.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

Uh, aside from Aaron (I'll let you figure out who that is) and BeNarwhal :P

politeness, I'll give you.
    tumblr_lpu26ggu641qj1cg2o1_500.jpg

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Sparvy wrote: »
    So we have this Afghan refugee over to our house every once in a while. My mother is his 'Good Man' as its called; he is underage and fled here alone so she handles all his money helps him navigate the bureaucracies of various government agencies, school etc. I guess something like a legal guardian, not sure.

Anyway he is mostly a friendly and well mannered 16 year old, but he really doesn't like america.

He also believes in some of the classic conspiracy theories about america, says America is like a mafia in Afghanistan smuggling opium and so on. Stealing kidneys that sort of thing.

I feel like maybe I should try argue with him at some point, its never good when people believe in things that wrong. But on the other hand I can't really claim to know shit about Afghanistan. And I mean we all have our delusions about the world, particularly about world politics, so maybe it isn't the hugest deal? I dunno

For one thing the opium thing is somewhat true: most of the "Northern Alliance" leaders the US aligned themselves with early in the war were bankrolled by extensive opium production. It's very hard to say if the US has or had any direct involvement there, but we'll almost certainly not get any documentary details in our lifetimes and there's a decent probability of any such documentation being lost to history (as most clandestine stuff does)

The latter doesn't happen anywhere, though. It is just straight urban legend
    The opium production in Afghanistan also shot way the fuck up after the American invasion, and to my knowledge, has never gone back down.

I've heard some interesting things related to this, mostly that it's actually an infrastructure issue. Planting poppies doesn't directly earn more money than planting food crops, but it's very hard to get the crops to market and the people transporting opium are willing to pick it up.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular

Pirates are a generally informal lot.

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

Paranoia.

Man that would be tight.

Someone brought this up on facebook a while back, we talked about it a bit.

I honestly don't think it'd work that well. If you want to do it right, Paranoia needs the kind of creativity and flexibility that doesn't work very well in a vidcon game.

This was an issue I considered as well

But there are a lot of games that allow surprising levels of creativity and ingenuity. With the tech we have for convincing crowds, distortion of player perception, destructible terrain, detailed and distorted physics, etc., there is a lot of potential for a game about cunning, insane plans.

It could also be turn based, I suppose.

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    @ronya, could you please explain (in the most dumbed-down terms possible), when it comes to balance-of-payments, the difference between "investment income" that falls under current accounts and FDI + "portfolio investment" that falls under capital accounts? Basically, if "investment income" is "interest and dividend payments on investments by citizens of a country to foreigners, and by foreigners to citizens of a country," then what's the difference betwen that and FDI (where outsiders are investing domestically and presumably making a return ...? I also don't really know what "portfolio investment" is supposed to mean, and my IPE professor wasn't really able to clarify it for me -- mostly because my IPE class is a 400-person lecture.

@hamurabi

I do not study international trade, and I get short-tempered about definitions. So take my definitions with a hefty spoonful of salt.

Investment income: you (already) own capital in another country, and receive a return on it. FDI/FPI investment: someone else desires to own capital in your country, presently owned by you, and pays you to transfer the ownership to them.

So these are the same flows in opposite directions, albeit shifted across time: you only own capital in another country after you have conducted that foreign investment. Conversely, someone else presumably acquires capital in your country in order to receive later outbound flows of money.

The inbound/outbound and later outbound/inbound flows are expected to sum to roughly the same magnitudes, in terms of their value at the present moment, but they might not: if e.g., a lot of investments turn unexpectedly bad or good at the same time. Then you may get a financial crisis, sudden outflows/inflows of currency, attacks on the exchange rate peg, etc.

FDI: foreigners direct where the investment goes. Your country benefits from their expertise and connections, but may be subject to foreign objectives that may be different from your own. Foreign portfolio investment is indirect: they buy (generally minority/institutional) stakes in your national capital stock, but they don't control what happens to it; you may have to offer a higher interest rate in return for your retaining control. Compare buying a majority stake in a business, versus merely lending them a huge pile of cash of equal value to that stake. How much this matters, in terms of long-term growth, is a little non-obvious: Singapore is high FDI, Korea is high FPI, Hong Kong favoured neither.

Hmm.

Okay, so when I buy a castle in Ireland or an oil field in Abu Dhabi, it's initially counted as Ireland or the UAE's FDI (so in their capital accounts) for purposes of BOP. Then, when I collect rent from my castle or profit from my oil field, it's counted as income from an investment made abroad, and falls under the U.S.'s current account?

(You don't have to use those metaphors if they don't work.)

(If this is too complicated to explain, it's not a big deal; I already had my IPE mid-term, and this question didn't come up, so champagne all around. :P )

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I know we helped with opium in Laos during the Vietnam conflict and in Afghanistan during the first conflict. I don't see why we wouldn't be doing it again.

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    My mom and her siblings have gathered at my aunt's house to have an emergency meeting about the pope. Lol Catholics.

I'm not really sure. Perhaps preparing to offer their services to the papal conclave?

I guess that's something. If this were anything else I could see them gathering to discuss who might be granted the position next, but this isn't like politics or sports, you don't have a roster of candidates who are household names out there to discuss.

To be honest, you kind of do. If you're an uber-Catholic (like my family) there are a few big names, and a few powerful positions. Benedict had a protege, for example, who is speculated to be the next pope. It's not something that very many people are interested in, but for the few that are politics is a very good analogy.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular

how much of the Second Vatican Council they want to be reversed

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular

"household" they may not be, but my vague recollections of catholic upbringing and more recent (but still hazy) memories of watching Borgia tell me the guy is elected from a relatively small pool.

• Options
    You guys can all call me Dave, I don't care. Solo is good too.

Definitely not Solomon, though. People call me that all the time on the internet because they're illiterate cretins.

• Options
    You guys can call me sloth, it's cool.

No need to prefix it with teh, I don't even mind.

twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Gooey wrote: »
    from what i gather most of afghanistan's economy is poppy farming/opium production.

the taliban allowed it because it poisoned westerners, we allow it because it makes up a huge percentage of their economy

or so i am told

Pretty much though, obviously there's more to it (culturally and all that) but there's not much we can do to change their entire economic infrastructure without causing even more pain and resentment

I think the Taliban did it also since it was a relatively easy and lucrative crop as well, which benefited them

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    You guys can call me 21st or Mister Century if you'd prefer.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    You all can call me 215 if you want

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Though overall, these pills seem to make everything worse.

Though I've only been on them 2 weeks. Will finish the course and see.

Then stop cold turkey when I run out and die.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options

"household" they may not be, but my vague recollections of catholic upbringing and more recent (but still hazy) memories of watching Borgia tell me the guy is elected from a relatively small pool.

That is correct. In theory, it could be any Catholic. I could be the next pope if I pretended to believe in God. I'm not even sure about that Catholic requirement, but I would assume so.

In practice, they aren't exactly just going to hand over the most powerful position in the biggest church in the world to a random.

• Options
    You don't know me! You'll use my full name and like it!

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    I know we helped with opium in Laos during the Vietnam conflict and in Afghanistan during the first conflict. I don't see why we wouldn't be doing it again.

It's one of those highly plausible yet impossible to properly document things that happens in history, especially when confronted with proscribed subjects and matters of state security (of which this is both)

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I am already the next pope. When I heard that Benedict was resigning, I set fire to the nearest object to signal the decision.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    acknowledgements outside of kaleedity or k.dity are UNACCEPTABLE.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    edited February 2013

That is correct. In theory, it could be any Catholic. I could be the next pope if I pretended to believe in God. I'm not even sure about that Catholic requirement, but I would assume so.

In practice, they aren't exactly just going to hand over the most powerful position in the biggest church in the world to a random.

Game of Thrones Books Religion Spoiler
    Isn't this pretty much exactly what happened in GoT? Like the queen was expecting the next powerful decadent pontif but instead got some random small time priest who went all grass roots religious on her?

cptrugged on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Okay, so it looks like I won't be going to Oosoyoos on my vacation this year.

So the other plan was PAX. I need to schedule my vacation now, though. When is PAX Prime? And how likely is it I would be able to score tickets?

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    You guys can call me Dave and I won't respond to it because I have no connection to that name

This discussion has been closed.