As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PA Comic] Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - Friends With Menifits

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited February 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• PandabearcakesPandabearcakes Registered User regular
    I can't help but feel that the panels are context-independent.

• LuxLux Registered User regular
    Is this one of those things that they drew at a panel and people shouted out requests? That's the ice cream helmet from the outdoor strip, isn't it?

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    YOUR STAR BURNS
    I REQUIRE QUEER FRIENDLY VIDEO GAME NARRATIVES

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    215501279_Qc7c2-L-2.jpg

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I would love for the last panel to have been drawn in protest somehow.

• OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Oh god...
    It's a Harlem Shake, isn't it?

• FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Holy crap it is.

• GraelynGraelyn Registered User regular
    Rod, tell him what he's won!

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I remembered that specific helmet from a different comic and found it

918011885_nBxvB-L.jpg

god what am I even doing this isn't a mystery that needed solving

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Oh god...

How did I miss that?! I spent almost 20 minutes watching those the other day.

Crippl3 on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Oh god it is a Harlem shake. You bastards!

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    And the 4th panel would just be them watching youtube for half an hour

• Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    I enjoyed this strip infinitely more before I realized it was yet another regurgitation of an unfunny youtube meme.

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Still don't know what a Harlem Shake is, and I'm happy to remain ignorant.

forumsig.png
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    It's kind of an interesting experiment. Can you create a recognizable recreation of an audiovisual meme that's formulaic but based primarily on sound and movement, in just 3 comic panels (which are completely without sound and movement).
    The answer is yes, at least in this case.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • dadeacondadeacon Registered User new member
    Funny Meme, even funnier comic! This was inspired funny. Well Done.

• SkwigelfSkwigelf Passed out in a cloud of farts and cigarette smoke.Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    Still don't know what a Harlem Shake is, and I'm happy to remain ignorant.

The Harlem shake, originally called the albee in Harlem, is a dance that started in 1981. The dance became mainstream in 2001 when G. Dep featured the Harlem shake in his music video "Let's Get It". It has its history from a type of dance exercised in the Amhara region of Ethiopia, called "Eskista" and was allegedly started in Harlem by a man named Al B.

2849546_o.gif

Oh wait...

• PhantoomPhantoom Registered User regular
    Great work of art, or the greatest work of art?

• GeekBabelGeekBabel Registered User regular
    wooooow i can't believe you just harlem shaked us. Well played sir... well played.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Oh god...

The fuck is harlem shake? It's all over the place... Everytime some new thing happens, I have no idea what it is, and I feel real old...

Edit: Oh, I should read all the posts before posting myself.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • AxonAxon Registered User regular
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I still don't get it. I have read this whole thread and looked at the gif of the guy dancing and I still don't get it. The dance in the gif doesn't look anything like the poses of the dudes in the strip.

Also, a few weeks ago Mike said he'd like to do a CTS strip again. Maybe this is that.

• kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    Concerning the words in the strip - Does the new Fire Emblem have some sort of relationship-based system? The only one I've played (on the DS) did not.

• kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I still don't get it. I have read this whole thread and looked at the gif of the guy dancing and I still don't get it. The dance in the gif doesn't look anything like the poses of the dudes in the strip.

Also, a few weeks ago Mike said he'd like to do a CTS strip again. Maybe this is that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlem_Shake_(meme)

PSN: the-K-flash
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    kuhlmeye wrote: »

The fuck The Washington Post is doing reporting in internet memes?

• WUAWUA Registered User regular
    Third panel as wallpaper. Give.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    So, the last panel is a Fire Emblem joke of some sort, because Gabe suddenly has combat gear on, right?

• PifmanPifman Registered User regular
    The fact that it references the Harlem Shake isn't what's funny. What's funny is that it appears they're being forced to do it by some unknown force. Continuing to carry a conversation while gyrating in weird ways.

PA-Signature.gif
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I see the Harlem Shake joke (which I didn't get) as a sort of bonus joke. They're already having a funny conversation; now there's something funny (though unrelated) going on to look at.

It's like the comic where they're climbing out of alien birth pods while discussing Sony's sports characters.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    kuhlmeye wrote: »

The fuck The Washington Post is doing reporting in internet memes?

Old media trying to stay relevant probably.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I don't see why The Washington Post shouldn't report on Internet memes. This thread is filled with people who would've been better off had they read the Post's article, because then they'd know wtf the Harlem Shake is.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I don't see why The Washington Post shouldn't report on Internet memes. This thread is filled with people who would've been better off had they read the Post's article, because then they'd know wtf the Harlem Shake is.

Or we could remain blissfully ignorant of another unfunny meme.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't follow internet trends at all. The only time I become aware of something is when there's a bleed-over effect from the internet, (which I ignore) to something else which I don't ignore.

Memes stopped being funny or clever 6 or more years ago.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Memes stopped being funny [the last time I tried to use one]

• PhantoomPhantoom Registered User regular
    Let us all declare how far we are above this "internet humor".

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I for one have never laughed on the internet

• theResetButtontheResetButton Registered User regular
    I find life is more fun when you're not a sourpuss about stuff because you feel like you have to be elitist about it. Is the Harlem Shake meme dumb? Probably, yeah. Is it somewhat amusing though and better than being Serious Business about everything? Oh, definitely.

Keep honking: I'm also honking.
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i know what harlem shake is but i dont care

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Harlem Shake aside (and I would never have recognized the positions in this comic as being a reference to the Harlem Shake, but that may be because I have studiously avoided learning anything about it as it it seemed like people seizing on the first lame thing that came along after Gangnam Style got played out)...

My interpretation of the third panel is that this is them throwing in a bunch of old stuff people ask them to bring back more often (CTS, Div, Fruit Fucker, Tycho's sun exposure protective gear) into one comic. Sort of like this old strip did with games that people were apparently bugging them to reference.

Gaslight on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    GRUMPY CAT DOES NOT APPROVE OF YOUR HARLEM SHAKE SHENANIGANS.

What is this I don't even.