As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rapture: Pre-PAX Game Night at the Seaport [CANCELLED]

LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
edited March 2013 in PAX East
CANCELLED - Pre-PAX Board Game Night at the Seaport Boston Hotel

Unfortunately, negotiations with the Seaport didn't work out after all. There will not be a coordinated gaming space there for this year. If you are staying at the Seaport and want to game in the lobby, you're welcome to find whatever seating you can.
This year, for the first time ever, PAX East will have not 1, not 2 but (tentatively) 3 pre-PAX gaming nights, staggered throughout the Boston Metro area for your gaming pleasure. Attend one or all! See below for details.

UPDATE: Negotiations with the Seaport have gotten complicated and it's now unclear whether there will be a space set aside for games or not. Please check back on this thread for updates before committing yourself to this event.

WHAT: A coordinated meetup the night before PAX for anyone with board games, or anyone who wants to play boardgames.

WHERE: Seaport Boston Hotel: 200 Seaport Blvd. Specific location within the hotel is TBD.

WHEN: Thursday March 21 Start Time TBD - the hotel is putting us in a ballroom after another group vacates it. More details soon...

ALTERNATE GAME MEETUPS

BoardGame of Thrones Game Night at the Westin : 4:00 PM, 200-300 Seats
Shadow Moses Game Night at the Boston Mariott : 8:00 PM, 50-100 Seats
GOOGLE MAP OF PRE PAX GAME MEETUP LOCATIONS

COOL SHIT
Details TBD. Boston just got hit with a huge snowstorm and discussions are still catching up after the delays it caused.

HOW IT WORKS
On the Thread
1. If you have games to bring, please post what you're bringing.
2. If you're looking to play a specific game, please post your request.
3. Please post your game/requests on the thread for the hotel that you plan to attend.

Once Present at the Hotel
1. Your coordinator for the night is TBD. Any volunteers?
2. If you've got a game and are looking for players, put the box top of the game vertically on your table. This is the universal sign for "I don't care who you are, please join us"
3. If you're looking to join a game, look for vertical box tops.

THE RULES
- Being good guests is critical to this event's welcome at the hotel. Don't be a dick.
- The hotel is giving us amazing space and service for free. The best way to show your appreciation is to support the hotel bar and restaurant while you're there.
- Please sit in one of the designated gaming areas to game. If you get asked by the hotel staff to move, please be respectful and honor their request.

GAME ON!!

Requested Games
Arkham Horror

Available Games

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
LexiconGrrl on

• Options
    peachgeekpeachgeek Registered User regular
    This sounds like fun! I have been wanting to find people to play Arkham Horror.

• Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    I'll be doing some drinking that night, but should be back for some late late night gaming. Looking forward to meeting my fellow Seaporters.

• Options
    SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    Hmm, I've been making plans to go to the one in the Westin, but I am staying in the Seaport....guess I'll have to see how this ends up!

• Options
    SnowDogSnowDog Central MARegistered User regular
    I will be at the seaport Thursday night, but don't know for sure what my plans will be. If I come, I'll bring something to play, but I don't want to commit quite yet, gotta work out details with my cohort in crime.

• Options
    MalaMala CeciltuckyRegistered User regular
    Group of us staying at the Seaport still trying to decide what to do thursday night. I float it by them (although i don't know if we'll have games to contribute since most are flying in)

• Options
    DurinthalDurinthal Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Love the Seaport! Maybe a bit less active compared to the Westin but still with some awesome folks and plenty of gaming. In 2011 one of the Steve Jackson Games developers talked to a group of us for a bit after he saw we were playing Zombie Dice.

The last two years there's been gaming in the lobby Sunday night as well for anyone hanging around; last year there was a great group playing Cards Against Humanity fairly late.

Durinthal on
  • Options
    eloelo That guy over there... Smoke stack central, NJRegistered User regular
    Nice! Not sure what time I'll be in Thursday afternoon/night, but I will definitely be there.

0j92muX.png
  • Options
    macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    We will be at the Seaport. Not sure if the rest of our group will hit the Westin meetup or Seaport...but we will probably check in with the game room once we arrive Thursday night.

• Options
    klzklz Registered User regular
    Can't wait to see what will be brought by others! I have a couple of ideas what I want to bring, like Snake Oil from Out Of The Box Games. It seems awfully slow here compared to the other hotels right now. Hope that picks up since it'd be a shame to have to go to the Westin and give them business instead.

• Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I'll be doing Westin early in the night, Pokecrawl, and then I'll end up back at the Seaport for some drunken games....if I'm coherent!

Also, I'll have Munchkin and Cards Against Humanity!

PayneTrayne on
    PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    PopinskiPopinski Registered User regular
    Girlfriend and I are staying at the Seaport Thursday and Friday Night. Coming in from Maine by bus. Would love to meet up with some people!!

• Options
    FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    I might be interested, though I would be showing up empty handed which I'm not really a fan of.

I'm pretty much a PC Gamer exclusively, but willing to try new things.

• Options
    Just wondering if there's going to be a few people here, or if most are just going to walk to Westin?

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    If the weather sucks, I'll plan to play here, but if not, I'm probably going to walk to the Westin, at least to start.

• Options
    If I'm reading things right, we have to wait for them to clear out the previous event in the Ballroom, so at least the early players might head to the Westin, and then people will filter back as the night goes on and the Ballroom is opened up for us. If last year's gaming is anything to go by, people will need to spill back to the Seaport early in the night anyway.

• Options
    I think I'll be staying strong at the Seaport if I can get a few people to stay with me, at least until the Pokecrawl starts! Let's show the Westin what's up.

• Options
    SnowDogSnowDog Central MARegistered User regular
    Details TBD. Boston just got hit with a huge snowstorm and discussions are still catching up after the delays it caused.

And another storm today! Goodie!

Any updates, or info on the overall approach here? Just trying to evaluate whether I'll be antisocial and board-game in a hotel room, or come down and be antisocial in a group :).

• Options
    There doesn't seem to be too much buzz about the Seaport day. But there are two other pre-PAX board game nights within a reasonable distance!

• Options
    DurinthalDurinthal Registered User regular
    If the last two years are any indication (when there was only a post for the Westin), there will be people hanging out and playing games regardless of how popular this thread is.

There probably won't be as many people or as many games as in the Westin, but we're still taking over a sizable chunk of the rooms they have. So come down, look around, and if you don't find anything that suits you the bigger group is a 5-minute walk away (if that).

• Options
    Update for everyone: the negotiations for this event have gotten a bit complex. The Seaport isn't as familiar with PAX community events as the Westin is, so there's been a few hiccoughs. Combined with the fairly low level of attendee interest on this thread, this one might get called off. Please check back on this thread for updated information before committing yourself to this event.

• Options
    Thanks, LexiconGrrl. I'm sure it won't be a huge deal other than bringing coats and walking across the bridge to the Westin if necessary. I'm sure many of us appreciate your efforts, and I suspect a good sized amount of unofficial gaming would happen if this doesn't work out. The lobby area has some decent space if I recall.

• Options
    GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular
    That's a shame. I hope it can keep on keeping on. Surprised they're not so familiar with PAX, though. GamersWithJobs have had their meetup there the past two years and it has always been a big crowd. Guess we just seem like any other meet-and-greeters.

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off
  • Options
    klz wrote: »
    Thanks, LexiconGrrl. I'm sure it won't be a huge deal other than bringing coats and walking across the bridge to the Westin if necessary. I'm sure many of us appreciate your efforts, and I suspect a good sized amount of unofficial gaming would happen if this doesn't work out. The lobby area has some decent space if I recall.

Remember that the Westin may also be full-up with two hotels converging on it for gamenight.

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    You guys can make the journey over to our game night at the Long Wharf too! Details in the sig.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    Bummer, I was looking forward to it, but it happens.

• Options
    VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    The Seaport... resistance is futile. =)

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • Options
    Sorry guys, The Rapture is cancelled. Please see the OP for details.

This discussion has been closed.