As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

World of Warcraft at PAX

mindfungusmindfungus Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in PAX Archive
So, I understand there's a World of Warcraft tournament Friday 5:00pm - 7:00pm. What should I expect, and how should I prepare?
What do I need to participate in the tournament? What is the actual contest? Do I need to be a 70 Lvl PvP God in order to win?
This simple tournament has to be my fix for missing BlizzCon so I want to make the most of it.
thanks.

mindfungus

"many an evil butt await my boot print"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
mindfungus on

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This tournament is BYOC only.

There is no preparation, rules are being kept secret so people dont try and prepare for it to make it unfair.

If I understand things correctly, you only need a lvl 40+ character.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I thought I remember hearing 40 because it was somehow race/mount related. I dunno.

anable on
    edited August 2007
    Yeah it is 40.

I dont play MMOs so I dont keep track of these things :P

BigRed on
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited August 2007
    Yea, we recommend a level 40 character. We won't stop you if you want to compete with less, you'll just be at a fairly significant disadvantage.

And while we're on the topic, I strongly encourage WoW players to band together at pax and mount assaults against the wretched PvP guilds, if you happen to be on the Dark Iron server.

David Coffman on
  • mindfungusmindfungus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sounds good.

Is there a thread specifically for the Wow tourney? It would be great to meet others prior to and during the event for questing and such.

mindfungus

mindfungus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2007
    There will be a shoutout box on the intranet page in BYOC for you to organize games of things and to meet up with other players.

Failing that, stand up and yell really loudly :P

BigRed on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh man, I wish I was bringing my computer for this contest. My biggest strength in WoW is unconventional forms of transportation. I suppose I'd be DQ'd if it was a race from one zone to another and instead of mounting up and racing I just climbed the mountains in between the zones with my leet wallclimbing skills.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Same here. Here's a challenge: Get to the lake above Northshire Abbey in Elwynn.

Hint: you can't get there from within Northshire.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
    edited August 2007
    mindfungus wrote: »
    Is there a thread specifically for the Wow tourney? It would be great to meet others prior to and during the event for questing and such.

mindfungus

There is now. =)

David Coffman on
    edited August 2007
    ctishman wrote: »
    Same here. Here's a challenge: Get to the lake above Northshire Abbey in Elwynn.

Hint: you can't get there from within Northshire.

I've done that! You have to climb the mountains by the Alter of Storms in Burning Steppes, ride through the flatlands, and walljump along the canyon to get there. That peacebloom fishing node is freaking weird.

Here's an every better challenge... Demonstrate 5 different ways to enter the 'under stormwind' area.

Or get inside Zul Aman.

Or make an entire lap of the Cathedral District in Stormwind using only rooftops.

(I've done all these... I'd post my photo gallery link of places I've gotten to but Photobucket seems to have died.)

Edit: If anyone cares, here: http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u32/raiden333/

Forgot about getting into the prison in the SW canals, that was a fun accomplishment.

Raiden333 on
  • TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Didn't Discodave say something in another thread like "by race we don't mean going from point a to point b, that would be really boring." So if I were to guess, based on that statement, it probably has little to do with mounts. Perhaps a race through an instance that is soloable at 40+ or something?

Who knows, but I agree that a race from point A to B would be a huge waste of potential for this game!

TrainwreckX on
    edited August 2007
    It's going to be hard enough for level 40 characters to compete against level 70's, let a lone try to compete against all the tricks and mods people are running. Should make for a great challenge. I know I'll never come close to winning but I'm still getting excited!

mindfungus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2007
    mindfungus wrote: »
    It's going to be hard enough for level 40 characters to compete against level 70's, let a lone try to compete against all the tricks and mods people are running. Should make for a great challenge. I know I'll never come close to winning but I'm still getting excited!

Hopefully tricks and mods that actually benefit the tournament a great deal will be kept to a minimum, thanks to the secrecy of the rules. Still, since the BYOC has "teh internets", you should be able to all have equal and fair share of the mods.

TrainwreckX on
  • randomguyrandomguy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Will this tournament require me to have the latest expansion or will I be able to play without it ?

p.s. , I know it is 2007.

randomguy on
    "i ate your babies princess."
    edited August 2007
    We are planning on using the expansion. If you don't have it yet, I'd suggest looking into the free 10 day demo if you haven't used that already. I probably should have made that more clear from the start, but honestly, I didn't know there were any WoW players left that didn't have the expansion. ;)

David Coffman on
  • ThePimpImpThePimpImp Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    well i mean there are probably a small number who would reactivate unactive accounts just to play, and those poeple might not have the expansion either. thats a less likely, but mroe legitimate reason.

ThePimpImp on
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, but for all those people, there IS the free 10 day BC trial that they can use just for PAX- it's all spiffy and such

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited August 2007
    true, i only ever had a ten day trial accoutn for the main game, so no tourney for me

ThePimpImp on
    edited August 2007
    You should still be able to compete in it, as long as you haven't already done the Burning Crusades trial on your account.

If you've got the main game, go here sometime a few days before PAX:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/burningcrusade/trial/splash.html

It's the 10 day trial for the expansion, and you should be able to use that in the tournament if you haven't already signed up for that trial. If you've previously used the basic WoW trial, you should still be eligible for the BC trial.

David Coffman on
    edited August 2007
    lol really, anyways isn't there a level 20 cap????? seems like i won't be competitive lol, i don't even have the game right now. DOn't worry about it, I have to go to the exhibition hall on friday before I get absolutely slaughtered in bf, which i still onyl have 1 teammate for

ThePimpImp on
    edited August 2007
    I'm gonna take a guess: Scavenger hunt. Contest entrants will get a list of things in the game and will have to have a screenshot of their character next to each one.

Raiden333 on
    edited August 2007
    ThePimpImp wrote: »
    lol really, anyways isn't there a level 20 cap????? seems like i won't be competitive lol, i don't even have the game right now. DOn't worry about it, I have to go to the exhibition hall on friday before I get absolutely slaughtered in bf, which i still onyl have 1 teammate for
    Yea, if you've only got the WoW trial (not the BC trial, that would be fine), then you're probably not going to have much of a chance for a variety of reasons.

David Coffman on
    edited August 2007
    Is there a way to track what servers PAX players will be using through out the convention. I use Eonar. I was curious if others use the same server. It would be nice to meet up in game. I plan on playing a fair amount of WoW that weekend, so the chances of getting together for a large raid would be great. Just an idea.

mindfungus

mindfungus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2007
    I'm gonna try to wear a little tag on my badge with name, guild, and server (Anklegank, <Fancy Lads>, Dark Iron), even though my computer's dead and I haven't played WoW in 2 months.

Raiden333 on
  • DraknodredDraknodred Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I plan on only playing WoW for the tournament, I got 2nd last year ( should of gotten first >:| )

If it's a scavenger hunt that'd be pretty boring but we'll see I guess.

I'm on Korgath as alliance and Ysera horde as a hunter.

Draknodred on
    edited August 2007
    Yeah same here. My game is WoW. I don't even have a console system. In fact I sold my Xbox and gear and bought a DSLite just for the weekend. Right now I'm playing Playing Puzzle Quest till my upgrades arrive. I'm just getting my feet wet with DS homebrew.

I wouldn't be opposed to starting a new guy on a new server so that we all can play. Kind of a PAX Guild. It could be in addition to the tourney on Friday. As I understand it, other than Friday there isn't going to be a WoW presence, so an additional WoW outlet for the weekend would be nice. If the server information was provided in advance, new toons could be made or old toons could be moved.

An opportunity to actually meet other members of the guild once a year at PAX would really be cool. I have a number of toons on other servers that I would move to join a PAX guild. I don't want to go all fanboy, but with a LAN party of this size, personally I'd have a blast!

mindfungus

mindfungus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2007
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I'm gonna try to wear a little tag on my badge with name, guild, and server (Anklegank, <Fancy Lads>, Dark Iron), even though my computer's dead and I haven't played WoW in 2 months.

I was in Fancy Lads for one day before I joined CTS Dojo!

TrainwreckX on
  • SoulFurySoulFury Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Tich is not for you!

SoulFury on
    edited May 2008
    Look my post for this year is right after my post for last year.
    Hey what's up with WoW this year??????

mindfungus

mindfungus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2008
    Please don't resurrect threads from previous PAXes (PAX's, PAXen?). If you want to talk about WoW at PAX 08. please make a new thread.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.