As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX Pokemon League: East 2013! LEGENDS!

• ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Propriety wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Also some leaders are harder than others. There are also a wide variety! You never know, your team may do much better against a leader you haven't met yet.

This is very true! We try to cater to a wide range of difficulty levels, so if you go up against a super tough leader and lose, don't despair! Seek out other leaders!

That was the problem for me last year, faced three gym leaders and none of them gave me a card.

I'm really sorry about that. A bunch of other people had this problem too. This was a huge problem last year and I'm working really hard to try to address it by ensuring that gym leaders know that after battle they're supposed to ask you if you have a card and if you don't, give you one.

The cards aren't useful is trainers don't get them! D:>

That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
    A big announcement: this year, to increase your chances of catching gym leaders around PAX, be on the lookout for gym leader Swarms!!! Click the image for more details!

LeaderSwarm.png

Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    I was foolish to use pokemon I actually love instead of following a guide last year....did not win a single badge.

Don't worry about following a guide! One thing you could do is have more than six guys and then change up your team depending on which monotype leader you're facing; not a solution to everything, but might work.

Last year, as a compromise between using pokemon I liked and pokemon that were supposed to be strong, I chose my 5 favorites from the smogon OU list (and that I had in Black, since I couldn't trade), plus kept my favorite (Darmanitan) from my playthrough. It went well. I EV trained (252atk or spA/252 speed), but certainly couldn't be bothered to breed.

It can also be helpful to print out a type-matchup sheet. I suppose I shouldn't do that this year in order to look like a knowledgeable leader, but I can't for the life of me remember the more obscure matchups like Dark or Poison or what have you.

This year my team is definitely not all recommended pokemon, since they're Catan themed, but I've tested it out against other leaders and it's done quite well. Which is to say--you can do very well with your team of favorites! Don't let anyone tell you which pokemon you should or should not use.

Can't wait for PAX! I'll be in tabletop most of the time so come challenge me there! I'm an intermediate-level leader; maybe on the tougher side.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • MorgansternMorganstern Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Mabye you lot can help me out and score your crew some fancy moves in the process.

With all these league preperations lately I don't have time to get down to the Relic Passage and give it the sweep-up it deserves. If you grab yourself a mess of Max Repels and head down there through the Castelia sewers then just ride your bike around, it should kick up a good number of those shards them Move Tutors seem so fond of. Just look for the dust clouds and head over to see what you've got. Of course, you might run into the odd Onyx or whatnot, but I'm sure you can handle yourselves.

Stay safe and if you bump into me at the league you can show me what your team can really do.

Morganstern on
    In case you are perhaps interested, another doubles gym leader(s)? have been revealed today! And they're... Magma Admins?! OK seriously whoever is doing recruiting for the league clearly has some rather questionable ties....

Regardless! Only two more gym leaders left to reveal! And after that... well, you know what comes after gym leaders, right? ;D

• CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    Grinding 10 more levels in victory road?

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999
  • ddrussianinjaddrussianinja Registered User regular
    Mabye you lot can help me out and score your crew some fancy moves in the process.

With all these league preperations lately I don't have time to get down to the Relic Passage and give it the sweep-up it deserves. If you grab yourself a mess of Max Repels and head down there through the Castelia sewers then just ride your bike around, it should kick up a good number of those shards them Move Tutors seem so fond of. Just look for the dust clouds and head over to see what you've got. Of course, you might run into the odd Onyx or whatnot, but I'm sure you can handle yourselves.

Stay safe and if you bump into me at the league you can show me what your team can really do.

On that note, I think Driftveil Drawbridge could use some tidying up as well. The place is covered in Wings! I've been spending a lot of time lately cleaning them up. It's a bit tedious, but I find it's worth the Effort.

• Fetch26291Fetch26291 MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Got my team and 2 more ready. Some types will be easy for me, others will be 'oh no! why did I have you and not you first in my lineup?'
    I'm going to make sure I'm right by a PC so I can do swapping when I need to. (For example: can't have a pokémon with Lightningrod ability in a double/triple battle if you plan on using Electric attacks to fight)

From wandering the forums, I spotted that some Bronies are thinking of meeting at the Handheld Lounge at 4pm on Friday. I have of course kindly warned them that the League will have the place well and truly mobbed. C'est le vie.

Catya, The Island Settler, does not mince words or drop hints when there are Games to be Won.

Thus, here the Island Settler's quick guide to EV Training---because you don't have time to read the entire internet; there are other games to play!

Is your pokemon using mostly Physical Attack moves?
    If so:
    1. Give it a power bracer.
    2. Go to Dragonspiral tower.
    3. What is the answer to life, the universe, and everything? Kill 42 Golurks.
    4. Give it a power anklet
    5. Go to Route 19
    6. Kill 42 Basculins.
    7. Done!

Is your pokemon using mostly Special attack moves?
    1. Give it a power lens.
    2. Go to Celestial tower.
    3. Kill 51 Litwicks.
    5. Go to Route 19
    6. Kill 42 Basculins.
    7. Done!

credeiki wrote: »
    Catya, The Island Settler, does not mince words or drop hints when there are Games to be Won.

Thus, here the Island Settler's quick guide to EV Training---because you don't have time to read the entire internet; there are other games to play!

Is your pokemon using mostly Physical Attack moves?
    If so:
    1. Give it a power bracer.
    2. Go to Dragonspiral tower.
    3. What is the answer to life, the universe, and everything? Kill 42 Golurks.
    5. Go to Route 19
    6. Kill 42 Basculins.
    7. Done!

Is your pokemon using mostly Special attack moves?
    1. Give it a power lens.
    2. Go to Celestial tower.
    3. Kill 51 Litwicks.
    5. Go to Route 19
    6. Kill 42 Basculins.
    7. Done!

But what if I don't want speed?

Ok, that's a joke, you always want speed. you'd be silly not to train it if you're doing ev training at all. Unless you're doing one of those tricky strategies where speed is your enemy...

• VolaroVolaro The Iron Gentleman Registered User regular
    Another option for EV training are the dojos and cafes of Join Avenue. Its a bit expensive, but it shortens the monotony considerably.

There's nothing like a day in the dojo or a hearty meal to improve your Pokemon's fighting ability.

Coan wrote: »

Ok, that's a joke, you always want speed. you'd be silly not to train it if you're doing ev training at all. Unless you're doing one of those tricky strategies where speed is your enemy...

If you don't want speed, you should probably not go to Route 19 and kill 42 Basculins!

And maybe find the slowest ditto in the universe and ask him to sire many young pokemon. But does that sound fun? Do you really want to turn your excellent pokemon into a team of extradimensional remodelers (Interior decorators? Architects?).

...no comments on a certain steel-type move that I may or may not be fielding on a pokemon bred for slowness (hypocrisy!)

If you don't want speed, you should probably not go to Route 19 and kill 42 Basculins!

And maybe find the slowest ditto in the universe and ask him to sire many young pokemon. But does that sound fun? Do you really want to turn your excellent pokemon into a team of extradimensional remodelers (Interior decorators? Architects?).

...no comments on a certain steel-type move that I may or may not be fielding on a pokemon bred for slowness (hypocrisy!)

in before balls of steel joke is made...oh wait...damnit :/

I think other than that and those who thinks pokemon should be fought in tricky rooms full of wibbly wobley timey wimey stuff (not to suggest the doctor will, but, i'm keeping my eye on him...) they should just kill the basculins anyway, its good for them, builds character.

was poking about the site...under http://paxpokemonleague.net/2013/03/what-you-need-for-pax-a-helpful-reminder/#more-1065
    I'm confused by
    •Vitamin C and hand sanitizer (To avoid the PAX Pox/Pokerus.)

I thought the Pokerus was good and you're supposed to spread it as much as possible...has my whole life as a trainer been a lie? I was planning on sneezing at every gym leader to help spread things along!

http://paxpokemonleague.net/2013/03/what-you-need-for-pax-a-helpful-reminder/#more-1065

Also, as mentioned: Don't forget your badges, I knew people who were an hour into their drive before they realized this last year and it was a bit of an ordeal for them to turn around, get them and then drive out again.

was poking about the site...under http://paxpokemonleague.net/2013/03/what-you-need-for-pax-a-helpful-reminder/#more-1065
    I'm confused by

I thought the Pokerus was good and you're supposed to spread it as much as possible...has my whole life as a trainer been a lie? I was planning on sneezing at every gym leader to help spread things along!

http://paxpokemonleague.net/2013/03/what-you-need-for-pax-a-helpful-reminder/#more-1065

Also, as mentioned: Don't forget your badges, I knew people who were an hour into their drive before they realized this last year and it was a bit of an ordeal for them to turn around, get them and then drive out again.

I assume that, like many parasitic diseases that use animals as vectors, Pokerus does not adversely affect its Pokemon carriers, but can be deadly if spread to a human. Like toxoplasmosis or something.

I'm confused by

I assume that, like many parasitic diseases that use animals as vectors, Pokerus does not adversely affect its Pokemon carriers, but can be deadly if spread to a human. Like toxoplasmosis or something.

Good point, and another reason to avoid using Skitty, Purloin and Persian. Who knows what you could catch from them!

I'm confused by

Good point, and another reason to avoid using Skitty, Purloin and Persian. Who knows what you could catch from them!

Who knows what Pokerus does to humans! I'd avoid it at all costs.

---

Also, note that the Elite Six have been posted! www.paxpokemonleague.net

Remember, everyone, despite the fact that there are 29 gym leaders and 6 Elite Six members, you only need 8 badges to start challenging the elite six, and 4 elite emblems to start challenging the champion!

We upped the number of leaders and Elite members to try to avoid the long lines and bottlenecks that we got in previous years. Don't think this means things are going to be easy, though! These leaders are TOUGH COOKIES.

I'm confused by

Who knows what Pokerus does to humans! I'd avoid it at all costs.

---

Also, note that the Elite Six have been posted! www.paxpokemonleague.net

Remember, everyone, despite the fact that there are 29 gym leaders and 6 Elite Six members, you only need 8 badges to start challenging the elite six, and 4 elite emblems to start challenging the champion!

We upped the number of leaders and Elite members to try to avoid the long lines and bottlenecks that we got in previous years. Don't think this means things are going to be easy, though! These leaders are TOUGH COOKIES.

Tough cookies? Does this mean the best way to get around them is a donation to Child's Play? :D

Also, I probably missed it somewhere, will the Elite 6 have scarves like the leaders and if so, is there a way to tell them apart from normal leaders?

Also, I probably missed it somewhere, will the Elite 6 have scarves like the leaders and if so, is there a way to tell them apart from normal leaders?

Yes, they will, and no, there isn't, unfortunately. It's something we've struggled with in past years. Sometimes they end up putting red bands around the ends of their scarves, but inevitably most people don't know what that means and they get asked anyway.

The best thing you can do is look at the list and memorize who's Elite Six! There's only six of them, they're pretty easy to identify. Or ask them! They'll be happy to tell you they're Elite Six. :D

Something else that might be helpful identifying leaders: the PAX Pokemon League East 2013 made a guidebook! Check it out! Download it before they're all gone!
    http://www.paxpokemonleague.net/

• YavariceYavarice Registered User regular
    I finally got around to reading up on the gym leaders - I love the different and awesome themes people have thought up XD (Catan girl, I'm predicting Mareep, Mareeps and maybe Flaffy right?)

Yes, they will, and no, there isn't, unfortunately. It's something we've struggled with in past years. Sometimes they end up putting red bands around the ends of their scarves, but inevitably most people don't know what that means and they get asked anyway.

The best thing you can do is look at the list and memorize who's Elite Six! There's only six of them, they're pretty easy to identify. Or ask them! They'll be happy to tell you they're Elite Six. :D

I'm just thinking of comparing cartoon to real world versions :P I'm sure if i walk up too early they can always tell me that i don't have enough badges to train battle them. It'd be even better if it was said that way, or at least some clever way, but good enough.

On the scarf thing, a small decoration on the scarf sounds like a simple yet visible means to tell that they're a different leader. If its something brought up as being a way to identify the elite (like regular green scarves are to identify leaders). Maybe something for aus/prime (not that i'll be at either most likely).

I'm just thinking of comparing cartoon to real world versions :P I'm sure if i walk up too early they can always tell me that i don't have enough badges to train battle them. It'd be even better if it was said that way, or at least some clever way, but good enough.

On the scarf thing, a small decoration on the scarf sounds like a simple yet visible means to tell that they're a different leader. If its something brought up as being a way to identify the elite (like regular green scarves are to identify leaders). Maybe something for aus/prime (not that i'll be at either most likely).

edited March 2013
    Yavarice wrote: »
    I finally got around to reading up on the gym leaders - I love the different and awesome themes people have thought up XD (Catan girl, I'm predicting Mareep, Mareeps and maybe Flaffy right?)

While I can't speak for her, I'm assuming that each Pokemon represents a different resource from Catan. The Mareep obviously represents "Wool" but that still leaves "Brick", "Lumber", "Grain", "Ore", and "Desert". I have my own guesses for what each will be, but there are so many possibilities...

EDIT: Eh, what the hell, these are my guesses: "Brick" - Regirock/Rhyperior, "Lumber" - Sudowoodo/Abomasnow/Timburr/Shiftry, "Grain" - Shaymin, "Ore" - Boldore, "Desert" - Hippowdon

ddrussianinja on
    While I can't speak for her, I'm assuming that each Pokemon represents a different resource from Catan. The Mareep obviously represents "Wool" but that still leaves "Brick", "Lumber", "Grain", "Ore", and "Desert". I have my own guesses for what each will be, but there are so many possibilities...
    Yes.
    EDIT: Eh, what the hell, these are my guesses: "Brick" - Regirock/Rhyperior, "Lumber" - Sudowoodo/Abomasnow/Timburr/Shiftry, "Grain" - Shaymin, "Ore" - Boldore, "Desert" - Hippowdon
    Heh, these are actually 100% wrong, although some do represent initial ideas I had.

You will have to fight me to find out! Buahahahaha!

The final big reveal is up! Meet the PAX Pokemon League East 2013 Champion: visiting all the way from far-off regions, it's Cynthia, the Legendary Champion of Sinnoh! http://paxpokemonleague.net/

You guys I am SO EXCITED for this year. Everybody's worked super hard to prepare for the league this year. It's going to be great!

• PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Time snuck up on me and I didn't even realize I what I was missing out on. I'm going to dig out my copy of Black 1 and do my dernendest to get a team to 10 pokes available in less than 48 hours.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
    edited March 2013
    Yes.
    Heh, these are actually 100% wrong, although some do represent initial ideas I had.

You will have to fight me to find out! Buahahahaha!

Curses! I figured I would have gotten at least one of them. Ah well.
    The final big reveal is up! Meet the PAX Pokemon League East 2013 Champion: visiting all the way from far-off regions, it's Cynthia, the Legendary Champion of Sinnoh! http://paxpokemonleague.net/

You guys I am SO EXCITED for this year. Everybody's worked super hard to prepare for the league this year. It's going to be great!

Craaaaap. Cynthia's a hard Champion even when the crummy Pokemon AI is controlling her. I'm not looking forward to seeing how horrifying she is at equal level and with a sentient mind in charge.

...Ah, who am I kidding? I'm TOTALLY looking forward to that. Though I can't help but wonder if she'll use the same Pokemon as in the games or if she'll have a completely original set. Even if she stuck with the same set as in the games, so long as she changed up the moves, it would actually be a pretty dangerous set.

ddrussianinja on
    Penumbra wrote: »
    Time snuck up on me and I didn't even realize I what I was missing out on. I'm going to dig out my copy of Black 1 and do my dernendest to get a team to 10 pokes available in less than 48 hours.

If you have B2/W2 that will work too. They are able to communicate to each other no problem.

• Axelsgurl4lifeAxelsgurl4life Potsdam,NYRegistered User regular
    How do we get a trainers card?

• PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Fetch26291 wrote: »

If you have B2/W2 that will work too. They are able to communicate to each other no problem.

I do, but I haven't made it past the 3rd gym in B2. I found my DS and cart, I just need to pound out some acceptable pokes. EV training isn't a thing, right? Or should I try to do that too.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • GausGaus Registered User regular
    After you battle one of the trainers, all you have to do is ask.

Professional assassination. It's the highest form of public service. - Chiun
    Fetch26291 wrote: »

I do, but I haven't made it past the 3rd gym in B2. I found my DS and cart, I just need to pound out some acceptable pokes. EV training isn't a thing, right? Or should I try to do that too.

I'd say go with Credeiki's suggestion for ev training, though it's B2 based. Serebii also has a good ev guide for any version worth its salt if you're sticking with B1. I imagine from the implied nature of the various difficulty gym leaders, some may not have EV trained and you can still pick up a few badges without it.

• MorgansternMorganstern Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Don't feel like you have to do any fancy training to challenge the league. Just get yourself a crew together and we'll point you towards the people who will give you a stand-up fight.

Morganstern on
    Gaus wrote: »

And by trainers, he means gym leaders.

• cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    My Stunfisk friends and I are looking forward to meeting all of you and your Pokemon! I'll try to keep a close eye on them this year so they don't cause too much trouble..

Oh dear, now where did Maggy go?

No no Prop don't drink that coffee, Nappy was just using the pot as a hot bath-!

Yappy please play nice with the Woopers!!

• GausGaus Registered User regular
    Gaus wrote: »

And by trainers, he means gym leaders.

Yes, sorry about that.

Professional assassination. It's the highest form of public service. - Chiun
  • aurethiousaurethious Registered User regular
    Hi kids, Alexander, one of your PPL Gym Leaders for this year here. We're only a couple of days away from PAX East and I'm pretty sure you all are just as excited as I am.

If you need a little more to scratch your PPL itch before Friday, there's a podcast episode dedicated completely to the PPL and this weekend's event. I even coerced a few of the other leaders (not to mention a couple of the Elite Six and the Champion herself) to send a few words your way. Hope you enjoy it and I'm looking forward to seeing you all this weekend!

Website Link: http://www.iongamecorner.com/podcast/iongamecast26
    Direct MP3 Link: http://www.iongamecorner.com/IONGameCast26.mp3

Alexander, the Determined Coach - PPL East '13
    Alexander, the Emerald Knight - PPL East '14

Come join the ION Pokémon League!
    cocowoushi wrote: »
    My Stunfisk friends and I are looking forward to meeting all of you and your Pokemon! I'll try to keep a close eye on them this year so they don't cause too much trouble..

Oh dear, now where did Maggy go?

No no Prop don't drink that coffee, Nappy was just using the pot as a hot bath-!

Yappy please play nice with the Woopers!!

AAaaeeeeeieieighggAUGLBUAGHLAUBLAUGH
    aurethious wrote: »
    Hi kids, Alexander, one of your PPL Gym Leaders for this year here. We're only a couple of days away from PAX East and I'm pretty sure you all are just as excited as I am.

If you need a little more to scratch your PPL itch before Friday, there's a podcast episode dedicated completely to the PPL and this weekend's event. I even coerced a few of the other leaders (not to mention a couple of the Elite Six and the Champion herself) to send a few words your way. Hope you enjoy it and I'm looking forward to seeing you all this weekend!

Website Link: http://www.iongamecorner.com/podcast/iongamecast26
    Direct MP3 Link: http://www.iongamecorner.com/IONGameCast26.mp3

This is a cool thing! You should check it out, Aurethious has been putting in a lot of work on these!