As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Fashion: Clothing Your Shame (no Fireguys allowed)

MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
How do you dress? What're you about to buy? What do you think about Incenjucar? All reasonable questions, all of which we're here to talk about--at least, if the last fashion thread is any indication.

General courtesy dictates that you use copious pictures, but spoiler them to keep your posts from being OMG HUGE!

And now, I give you a hipster:
Photo-0026_3.jpg
Hot or not? My vote is hot.

MrMister on

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I MAEK POAST

I don't think I could hang out with him. Suspenders kind of scare me.
    Oh, and second hand smoke bothers me.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited August 2007
    6303bk_01.jpg

I think that's what I bought yesterday.. I think.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Incen should be selectively banned from fashion threads, and I hate the 80's revival trend. There were teens at the ekka (state fair) wearing high-waisted short shorts. So, so terrible.

And most of you dress like 12 year olds. Seriously, ege has one thing going for him and that's his dress sense.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited August 2007
    I like dressing like a 12 year old.

I haven't grown since 7th grade. A lot of my clothes from then still fit. I am too poor to buy nice clothes.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Pic in the OP gets a thumbs up from me. I would dress like that if I could pull it off. It's classy.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited August 2007
    Nice doesn't have to be expensive.

You know what I really hate? Guys who think bright patterned boardshorts are acceptable city wear. In winter, even. KEEP THEM ON THE FUCKING BEACH, YOU DERROS. BUY SOME PROPER PANTS.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited August 2007
    What is a derro?

Evil Multifarious on
    edited August 2007
    Something Australian I bet.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    You know what I really hate? Guys who think bright patterned boardshorts are acceptable city wear. In winter, even. KEEP THEM ON THE FUCKING BEACH, YOU DERROS. BUY SOME PROPER PANTS.

I had a friend in college who used to wear athletic shorts and sandals until snow started falling - and sometimes even after that for a little while. Like, with a winter jacket on top. It was one of the most horrible things I've ever seen.

Plus then he'd complain when his feet got all dry and cracked. :roll:

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm dressed like a slob right now.

Fortunately, the clothes that I have with me make even my slobbishness pretty damn good.

White Pumas with a blue stripe, light colored khakis from Men's Express, a white/gray/darker gray belt, and a pale blue Sigur Ros shirt.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    In Injec really thast terrible a dresser he must be bannd from these threads?

Anyways I mostly buy old dress shirts from Salvation army and vintage stores. I like slightly garish but still stylish clothes.

nexuscrawler on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Incenjucar is a radical skeptic of fashion.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited August 2007
    See I can understand when people cling to their summer or autumn clothes in Canada. It's psychological. They don't want to believe that winter's coming, because winter is a horrible fucking 8 month ordeal that will crush your spirit and reduce you to a pale wraith huddled in blankets beside a radiator. Wearing a winter jacket would mean conceding that winter is here.

But in Australia? I don't get it.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited August 2007
    See I can understand when people cling to their summer or autumn clothes in Canada. It's psychological. They don't want to believe that winter's coming, because winter is a horrible fucking 8 month ordeal that will crush your spirit and reduce you to a pale wraith huddled in blankets beside a radiator. Wearing a winter jacket would mean conceding that winter is here.

But in Australia? I don't get it.

Me and the winter-jacket-and-shorts moron were in Michigan, actually.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2007
    I'm wearing decent clothes right now.. but I am at work.
    photo2vb0.jpg

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited August 2007
    well, it never gets that cold here, but the point is that these shorts are ugly and ill fitting and it seems like only horribly hairy guys wear them, usually combined with some stupid logo tshirt that inevitably clashes. And thongs (flip-flops). Terrible, horrible, no good, very bad.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I dunno. The guy in the OP looks like he's trying too hard. Or not enough. I can't really tell. Any time you see a large group of kids in high school/early college or something, there is always that one guy trying to pull a hat like that off. Always. I hate that guy.

Personally, I haven't bought anything to wear lately except a bunch of solid color general purpose t-shirts. When it gets really hot out (as it has been here lately), I stop caring about style, and concern myself only with not sweating to death. Besides, I hate summer, and summer fashion. Bring on fall and winter, and I'll be a shopping fool.

Murphy on
    edited August 2007
    I was so confused when I was on my friend's yacht and the crewmembers were from South Af. and Australia and whatnot and someone said to me "Have you got your thongs on?" and I was like o.O;;

Crazy lingo.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I never get to say things like "When I was on my friend's yacht". I need better friends. Or richer ones. Or ones that have yachts.

That said, I still do a double take any time someone says thongs and doesn't mean underwear.

Murphy on
  • CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'd like to think that I have a decent fashion sense, I'll put a pic or two up for review when I get the chance.

Cojones on
    exmac.png
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, and you know what sucks is my rich friend sometimes goes and buys random expensive clothes for my friends when they are near a store, but I've never been with him at the right time to go "get gear" as they say. Sad me.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2007

He once told us that his fashion sense was derived from role-playing characters he made.

So that should probably answer your question.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    What the fuck is that guy in the OP wearing? He looks like he's dressed for Depression-era America. I live in a pretty unhip place, so I get by with straight-leg jeans, boots or black skate shoes, and a dark colored t-shirt. If I'm feeling fancy I will wear a polo or a longsleeved button-down.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    Also, I think that guy in the OP looks kind of like a douche.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited August 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »

but a well-dressed douche

Evil Multifarious on
  • OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007

He once told us that his fashion sense was derived from role-playing characters he made.

So that should probably answer your question.
    Man, he fails at roleplaying then if all of his characters just had ratty long hair and wore ill-fitting shades of black.

EDIT: For some reason, the guy in the OP pushes my "I sort of need to punch you in the nose" button.

Oboro on
    words
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2007
    In the summer, I wear pretty much exclusively khaki shorts and either tees,or short-sleeve button-ups. I about half my shopping at Gap, so imagine a Gap mannequin. That's me. In the winter I wear either jeans or cords and long sleeve tees, or short tees under long-sleeve button ups. I like flannel. Flannel is cozy. I also don the occasional thin sweater.

If I ever get a job again, it'll probably be one that requires me to dress business-casual, as opposed to the just-hopped-out-of-bed-casual required by my last job. I sort of look forward to it, because I like having an excuse to dress nice. I'll have to buy a completely new work wardrobe, which'll be fun.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited August 2007
    Also, I think that hipsters look kind of like a douches.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited August 2007
    What to buy at the Gap with my gift cards other than jeans

this i know not

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    one place I've grown to ate is H&M. they make nice looking clothes that fall apart after being washed once.

nexuscrawler on
  • The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Every few months or so, I break down and treat myself to one or two articles of clothing from Banana Republic. I say one or two articles because BR is so friggin' expensive but oh I love their clothes so very much. This is my kind of style right here:

br513944-00p01v01.jpg

Sometimes BR gets a little too preppy for me, so I like to mix and match with stuff from Express:

thumb_127x165_10497.jpg

I don't know what the fuck is up with that guitar though.

It's such a pain in the ass for me to find jeans that fit me juuuuuuuuuust right, but just like Ege said awhile back, it's so worth it in the end.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Daisuke SpoonDaisuke Spoon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

He does.

Daisuke Spoon on
    pikaserious.jpg
    Pokeymanz: 0002-2940-9674
  • VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man. There was some guy at frisbee wearing like dress pants that he had cut off just below the knees. I wanted to fucking punch him.

That said, I usually wear a pair of jeans or khakis and a t-shirt. Or a button down collared shirt. I used to have two pairs of warmup pants that I would wear frequently because they were exceedingly comfortable, but someone stole them.

So, what I'm saying is. Fuck hipsters.

VishNub on
  • OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    one place I've grown to ate is H&M. they make nice looking clothes that fall apart after being washed once.
    I didn't even know H&M had menswear

I mean that is probably the problem right there

someone probably just like went down to Salvation Army, grabbed some stuff, and threw it on the H&M racks

and you paid for it

I've had good experience with them-- they're cheap, and durability was not really a problem (which is a godsend, since I tend to live in my clothes). Also, they're just trendy enough that they actually have some interesting pieces that are not carbon copies of what is being bandied about in the Proper and Popular Clothing Stores (AE and its ilk).

Oboro on
    words
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm trying to get out of a t-shirt/jeans/hide-body funk.

Don't have much money, though, and most of my clothes end up doubling as work clothes.

Anyway, I bought a couple of v-neck 3/4-length sleeved acrylic tops from H&M which do a brilliant job of being warm, looking smart and also being really flattering.

Janson on
    edited August 2007
    Platypus - you need to find a BR outlet store. There's one semi-near me, and that's the only place I'll buy BR clothes, because otherwise it's just way too expensive. I got a really nice pale green button-up blouse with a ruched front that I love to wear for dress-up over a darker green camisole with a pair of slim-leg khakis.

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was so confused when I was on my friend's yacht and the crewmembers were from South Af. and Australia and whatnot and someone said to me "Have you got your thongs on?" and I was like o.O;;

Crazy lingo.

They (well, a certain type of sandal) get called thongs here. I didn't think it was strange.

LaOs on
    edited August 2007
    Right now I'm at work, wearing an odd combination of clothes.

A nice pair of light-coloured, fitted boot-cut jeans from the Gap; a gray-green t-shirt that fits really well but was actually part of my gym uniform from high school, which says "St. Pat's Patriots" on it; and a grey zippered hoodie.

I could probably wear a barrel to work, though. It's a university job.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited August 2007
    When I'm not shopping at Gap, I generally go to Nordstrom Rack, because they are wonderful. It's nice grabbing a paid of $90 designer jeans for $20 because oh noes it's last year's fashion.

ElJeffe on
  • The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    DiscGrace wrote: »
    Platypus - you need to find a BR outlet store. There's one semi-near me, and that's the only place I'll buy BR clothes, because otherwise it's just way too expensive. I got a really nice pale green button-up blouse with a ruched front that I love to wear for dress-up over a darker green camisole with a pair of slim-leg khakis.

Ha! As silly as it sounds, it never even occurred to me that BR has outlet stores - I live in Northern NJ, aka Magical Land of Horrendously Upscale Malls, so outlet stores aren't all that common.

Or maybe I've been living under a rock all these years and they're all sitting right around the corner. Go figure. Thanks for the tip though, I"ll have to do some digging around. :^:

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
This discussion has been closed.