As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Fashion: Clothing Your Shame (no Fireguys allowed)

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    When I'm not shopping at Gap, I generally go to Nordstrom Rack, because they are wonderful. It's nice grabbing a paid of $90 designer jeans for $20 because oh noes it's last year's fashion.

The real key is to buy jeans when they're next year's fashion.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I have moods that I dress in very equal parts. I never look like a scrub because raggity/shitty clothes are no good IMO, but having distinct styles is great.

I have my
    shorts/jeans/t-shirt clothes.
    polo shirt/nice jeans/pants
    dress shirts/jackets/pants/nice jeans

I wear them all well, and it depends upon my mood or activity for the day or evening.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2007
    When I'm not shopping at Gap, I generally go to Nordstrom Rack, because they are wonderful. It's nice grabbing a paid of $90 designer jeans for $20 because oh noes it's last year's fashion.

The real key is to buy jeans when they're next year's fashion.

Yes, except they're jeans and the fashion doesn't change appreciably from one year to the next.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    That is what I was implying. The only thing that changes is the price, and maybe the ankles.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Some of the jeans in china are fucking awesome.

Also, different.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    That is what I was implying. The only thing that changes is the price, and maybe the ankles.

Ah, yes.

Fashion rules and guidelines are generally sort of silly.

Like that "no white shoes after Labor Day" thing. Or how you apparently can't wear certain colors in certain times of year. It doesn't matter that it's 80 degrees and sunny, you can't wear a bright color because it's winter!

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Also, I think that hipsters look kind of like douches.

Heavens, I pushed some buttons. For the record, I don't personally dress like I smoke cloves and just got back from the Clap Your Hands Say Yeah concert. I would totally jump that guy's bones though.

This is how I actually dress most of the time:
    bedsx6.jpg
    computersxc7.jpg

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    MrMister wrote: »

Heavens, I pushed some buttons.

I don't, like, detest them, or anything. But that sort of wear reminds me of the total dork role that populated every teen movie in the 80s - the one who was the lead actress's best friend, but secretly loved her. That's not a great archetype to emulate.

Plus. the more-pretentious-than-thou thing isn't my bag.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I really just don't like the hat that far back on the head. And, I guess, I prefer belts to suspenders.

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    MrMister wrote: »

Heavens, I pushed some buttons.

I don't, like, detest them, or anything. But that sort of wear reminds me of the total dork role that populated every teen movie in the 80s - the one who was the lead actress's best friend, but secretly loved her. That's not a great archetype to emulate.

Plus. the more-pretentious-than-thou thing isn't my bag.

What? Where do you see the connection between the picture in the OP and an 80s style dorky friend?

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't think I dig the brown shoes, MrMister.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    What? Where do you see the connection between the picture in the OP and an 80s style dorky friend?

duckie.bmp

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't think I dig the brown shoes, MrMister.

I like 'em. You can't see them that well there, but they're pretty nice, and they go with my clothes.

I'm in the market for a new pair, though. My friend has these Pumas that I really like, black with the white stripe going up the side, but not only has Puma stopped selling them, but it would be weird to have matching shoes.

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

duckie.bmp

Ahhhh.

Any configuration of clothing can look bad if it's poorly assembled. The guy in the OP has a coherent look, even if it is visible that he is trying pretty hard to be vintage, whereas our 80s nerd looks like he tossed together a bunch of clothes that nobody else wore.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    What to buy at the Gap with my gift cards other than jeans

this i know not

grey t's!

and BR is good shit. They have awesome jeans, which also cost like 90 dollars. But I only wear one pair at a time anyways, so its worth it.

geckahn on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yesterday I was at Bob's Stores and I bought my first normal plain t-shirt in recent memory. It was dark brown ringer type, and was soft and I liked it. I should buy some grey t's then. Plain t-shirts are a new thing to me.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    Right now I'm at work, wearing an odd combination of clothes.

A nice pair of light-coloured, fitted boot-cut jeans from the Gap; a gray-green t-shirt that fits really well but was actually part of my gym uniform from high school, which says "St. Pat's Patriots" on it; and a grey zippered hoodie.

Canada has patriots?

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Only when they pretend they're Irish Catholic.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Any configuration of clothing can look bad if it's poorly assembled. The guy in the OP has a coherent look, even if it is visible that he is trying pretty hard to be vintage, whereas our 80s nerd looks like he tossed together a bunch of clothes that nobody else wore.

I get the difference, but it still reminds me of that. I sort of snicker every time I see a hipster.

Whoever said they were trying too hard? Yeah.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    I agree with Jeff. Molly Ringwald's gonna break that kid's heart.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    FloofyFloofy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So, woman's clothes (in the UK). I am so very confused by Topshop right now. Occaisionally they will have beautiful lovely things like:
    17N17QBLK_normal.jpg
    10M04QIND_normal.jpg
    04E34RBLK_normal.jpg

But then they'll simultaneously be touting the virtues of things so vile and so incredibly unkind to anything but the most skeletal female form that it makes me wonder if their lead designers are dribbling maniacs that live with forty cats and secretly really really hate women:

16G16RBPK_normal.jpg
    13H33RSLV_normal.jpg
    13H07RJDE_normal.jpg

And the bad thing is, this isn't just topshop- a lot of women's clothes atm seem so swamped with shitty ideas (Skintight! Metallic! Mid calf skirts! Bubble-cut under an empire waist!) that it's hard to finds the gems in amongst the throwaway, terrible trends.

Rant over, I suppose.

Floofy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I agree with Jeff. Molly Ringwald's gonna break that kid's heart.

I'd totally bang Andrew McCarthy before I'd bang a hipster.

edit: Cool, pretty 80s Andrew McCarthy, not shriveled, freakish modern Andrew McCarthy.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think the lesson from the pic in the OP is that dressing like you're in Gangs of New York won't make you look like Leonardo DiCaprio. Still, I can't fault the effort. I find the standard business casual uniform pretty depressing. Hide in plain sight.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    LaOs wrote: »
    I really just don't like the hat that far back on the head. And, I guess, I prefer belts to suspenders.

The guy wouldn't be out of place waving newspapers around and shouting "Extra! Extra!" for christssake. I don't really get the trend that's going on now of reaching back almost 100 years for clothing ideas. It's not better to look like a street rat from a day gone by than it is to look like a modern one.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Yeah, if you're going to wear a hat you should be wearing it as a hat and not a tiara. Also, he should go and see a tailor to get real bracers put into his pants so he doesn't have those stupid little clip on suspenders that 4 year olds use.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I think the lesson from the pic in the OP is that dressing like you're in Gangs of New York won't make you look like Leonardo DiCaprio. Still, I can't fault the effort. I find the standard business casual uniform pretty depressing. Hide in plain sight.

Only if you're boring and afraid of color. An interesting shirt that's not gray or beige or some wussy pastel color coupled with a cool tie can look pretty snazzy.

Now suits - those are depressing. There's nothing cool about being the same color from head to toe.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    snowkissedsnowkissed Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Floofy wrote: »
    13H33RSLV_normal.jpg

I actually find that shirt super cute. The problem with it is that it will only look good on certain body types and you would have to be careful with the bottoms you wear.
    Now suits - those are depressing. There's nothing cool about being the same color from head to toe.
    Depressing? I disagree. Nothing beats a man in a good looking suit. Pure delicious.

snowkissed on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I get the difference, but it still reminds me of that. I sort of snicker every time I see a hipster.

Whoever said they were trying too hard? Yeah.

Often they are trying too hard, yes. However I think that is better than not trying at all.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'm going to post some pictures of how my Intermediate Macroeconomics professor from Barcelona dressed:

WARNING these pictures are massive... not my fault.. it's his website and I think he is not insanely savvy with this all:
    Xavier_Zebra.jpg
    M&X_copa_sm.jpg
    Picture%20358.jpg
    miss_universe_X.jpg
    with_Actor.jpg
    PImagen%20212.jpg
    monaco_2.jpg

Yeah. How's that for color?

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Often they are trying too hard, yes. However I think that is better than not trying at all.

Ideally, you want to appear as if you effortlessly chose your apparel and it happened to look damned good. Failing at "effortlessly" isn't much better than failing at "damned good", because if your clothes look forced, then it looks silly. It looks desperate and clingy, like the wearer is trying to seek approval. Frankly, I'd rather be around someone with poor fashion sense than someone whose clothing says "please validate me".

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'm going to post some pictures of how my Intermediate Macroeconomics professor from Barcelona dressed:

WARNING these pictures are massive... not my fault:
    Xavier_Zebra.jpg
    M&X_copa_sm.jpg
    Picture%20358.jpg
    miss_universe_X.jpg
    with_Actor.jpg
    PImagen%20212.jpg
    monaco_2.jpg

Guys like that strengthen my belief that there should be a fashion police.

snowkissed on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007

If your clothing causes seizures, it's too much color.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    He would dress like that for every lecture. It was absurd. So many different colors...

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Oh sweet jesus

MrMister on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Is that Kofi Annan? Why the hell would you wear that when meeting him?

That guy is bizzare.

geckahn on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    moniker wrote: »

Yeah, if you're going to wear a hat you should be wearing it as a hat and not a tiara. Also, he should go and see a tailor to get real bracers put into his pants so he doesn't have those stupid little clip on suspenders that 4 year olds use.

Yes.

LaOs on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    This thread has defeated the other clothing thread in mortal combat.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    GroovyMr1337GroovyMr1337 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yay! New clothing thread!
    So, I have recently started to dress a bit classy at times when it really is not needed, but in odd ways that seem fashionable. For example, I will wear cargo shorts, flip flops, and then a long sleeve button up with a tie. I don't really know why, I just kind of like it.

GroovyMr1337 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    That really does sound odd, Groovy... Ties and flip flops = big nono.

snowkissed on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ok then, necropost from the other clothing thread

Here's yet another Artful Dodger hoodie that I want (and can actually afford). I have to say, this one appeals to me because it is both an interesting design as well as a botanical theme (I'm majoring in horticulture).

AS7-K35zoom1.jpg

AS7-K35zoom6.jpg

AS7-K35zoom2.jpg

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
This discussion has been closed.