As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Enrichment] - Color Studies

• NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    landscape2_zpsa3bd88e9.jpg

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Those are lovely Zergling :)

• HalenHalen Registered User regular
    Man, sunsets are easy

tumblr_ml3ztq5lHw1ql500mo1_1280.jpg

Draw an egg.
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Thanks Enc!

4.11.13--thumb.jpg

Another sloppy doodle

Oh I like it, it's got a kind of trippy mind bending feel about it.

Draw an egg.
    Was seeing a lot of Oblivion screenshots on Goggle Plus, and wanted to draw something like that.

Really, what I need to do is bust open my pdf art books and tackle perspective and vanishing points again. Its been over a year and with how infrequently ive done landscapes it would probably improve a bit of everything.

Do you all use the line tool for straight edges, or are you just practiced enough by hand to make clean edges without it? I've been trying to use only hard, round brushes at full opacity for everything but effects to get better at colors and feeling out transitions, which has made things look worse but teach more, I think.

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Probably should have chosen something with a little more color. Still learned some though - about 35 minutes.
    lightstudy1_zpsc27b5e40.jpg
    also forgot to pick a brush with no transparency...

Prospicience on
    4.12.13-Thumb.jpg

First one for today. I'm hoping to get two more done this afternoon.

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    I have never used color outside of coloring books, sooo...yeah. This was new. I was using colored pencils, and the things basically had two shades: light and heavy. I'm not sure if that's because the pencils are cheap, I'm new at this, or if that's by design.

DaD2013-082b.jpg

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    That looks great m3nace! Did you use a reference?

This took me much longer than it should have. Any tips on improving it?

zrmZguS.jpg

Reference

Flay on
    edited April 2013
    @flay your reference link didn't work for me. I think the picture is awesome though, I have to say.

I don't know, but would some hard-edged pure whites on the armour increase the impression of shiny metal?

Halen on
    Draw an egg.
    edited April 2013
    Weird, try the link now?

I might go back and touch up some of the highlights, particularly the ones on his helmet. There are a bunch of small details I'm just noticing now that are really bugging me.

Flay on
    eKgi6xub

This morning's work. I had a reference but lost it after the first half hour. : /

• squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    @Flay & @m3nace those are fab; @Enc you're really taking crits to heart -- awesome.

... I am so lazy.

header_image_sm.jpg
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, even within the space of this thread you've made a big improvement enc, nice work!

Flay on
  • melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    good god you guys, these are so good!

I've been trying to do this with crayon (as it's been the only tool within reach at work) and it's too hard.

Working without opacity jitter/transparency is frustratingly awesome.

colorstudy1.jpg

I don't really know what I'm doing, I just hope I'm on the right track!

colorstudy2.jpg

colorstudy3.jpg

I'm learning a lot about coloring digitally. Turns out it's not like using crayons at all. :oops:

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Nice MD, I think the first one (the house) and the very last one are my favorites.

colorstudy4.jpg

argh

I based this on a drawing I did a long time ago and then I started to get frustrated with the lighting on the leaves and then botched the tree trunks. pfft

I wish I had a program other than photoshop elements, I can't figure out how to mess around with and customize brushes :cry:

• Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    Orig:
    Red Raevyn wrote: »
    Oof. This was definitely too complex to go straight to painting - I should have sketched some shapes and outlines first. I bit off more than I could chew regardless, but it's such an interesting shot from a friend who just moved to AK.

jCWOzGf.jpgOwAftIN.jpg

I think I'll do it again tomorrow, and try to use simpler shapes and communicate with strokes instead of literal shapes.
    m3nace wrote: »
    There's plenty of places where you could add dashes of blue in those shadows.
    I've barely been home the last week but I wanted to give this another quick shot. I tried to stay looser and use bigger brushes, and rather than using the eyedropper to keep colors consistent I eyeballed the colors every time I changed them.

0PqHPXd.jpg

It's a loose, blobby mess but I think I like it more.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think that that is going in the right direction red. Going from broad soft brushes to harder edged brushes is a very efficient way to approach color studies. If you did a very lose second pass on that, it would probably shape up nicely for you.

My initial intention with this was to grant my undivided attention to colour and not give a damn about details, but eventually it should seem that I am quite incapable of that... anyways, the Drottningholm palace:
    1Dkn20Z.png

Damn, that's nice m3nace!

I haven't been able to draw much this week due to grad class final papers, but hopefully this weekend I can make up for the difference have have a handful more studies.

Wow m3nace!!

Another for today.
    lightstudy2_zps375f1e33.jpg

I went back to my ice one again but didn't like it and was unrelatedly frustrated, so I tried a new scene.

tfNFacC.jpg

• squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    @m3nace Dude aren't you like 12? How are you getting so good so fast?
    No, I know you're busting your ass. It's just so very apparent.

header_image_sm.jpg
    edited April 2013
    12 hahahaha... haha. 18 thank you very much, 18 and a half!
    edit: I can even count to 100.

m3nace on
    edited April 2013
    I had been informed that this brush emulated an oil brush, which it totally did not... but anyways, it has no opacity whatsoever. I present a still from De-jango:
    GKx7c5x.png

m3nace on
    Once again a balling sky, m3nace. What's going on with the forelegs of the horse on our left, though?

Snow is going on. It was kind of hard because I worked from a pretty low res image as reference.

edited April 2013
    Going to finish this one up, but it's taking the longest so far. Realizing after these last two how much harder it is without a ref.
    lightstudy3_zps1c6e088e.jpg

Prospicience on
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    really loving this thread! I wish my apartment were less in de-boxing mode so that I'd have a little more space to paint. I may have to do some studies from Autodesk just to play along, but I've been focusing on my writing more.

You guys are kicking ass this month!

• Lewis RiceLewis Rice Registered User regular
    30 or 40 minutes on dis one

Screenshot2013-04-20at13922PM_zps7ad592cb.png