As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dungeons and Dragons: Neverwinter] It might have become Winter.

SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgradeRegistered User regular
edited July 2016 in MMO Extravaganza
nno_logo.png

WARNING: Not all content can be bought with Zen. Make sure you can buy something with Zen before you drop money on Zen. See Page 48 for more details.

The Penny Arcade guild, What A Nice Guild, is on the server Beholder.

What is it?

An MMO set in the classic Forgotten Realms, the Iconic city of Neverwinter, setting of D&D and using 4th Edition rule set.

How is it structured?

It’s pretty much a spoke and hub design. The main city of never winter is broken up into little open world hub that have quests that are both open world and instanced.

Why would I want to play it?

Do you like high fantasy, D&D, Action combat, the Forgotten Realms, or making your own stories for other to play? If the answer to any of these questions is yes there is something here for you to enjoy.

Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHyljJ8hUJ4

Combat:

Combat is run like an action game with some hot bar MMO elements. It has a non standard control setup with the mouse look enabled.
Abilities are broken down into categories like so:
  • At-Will powers: These can be bound to the left or right mouse button. They can be used as much as the user wants and are the basic attacks of the game. They often have some little bonus to them in the tooltips.
  • Encounter powers: You can carry three of these at a time and they are bound to Q,E, and R. these are your standard cooldown type skills. These pack more punch and have more secondary effects than the At-Will powers.
  • Daily powers: You carry two of these at a time and are bound to the 1 and 2 key. They are the most powerful skills in the game and are activated by gaining action points. Whenever you perform an attack and one other condition based on class you fill up the D20 gauge in the center of your bottom HUD. When this is full you can use a Daily power.
  • Tab Skill: The Tab skill is tied into the class mechanic of each class and is unique to each. You gain this skill at level 10.

Foundry:

The other reason to play it is the foundry. The foundry is the place where intrepid storytellers go to build quests, dungeons and even long quest lines for other players. The hope is that this will give the game longevity. I plan to update this section with information on how to use this system in the future.

In-Depth Producer's Video Walkthrough of the Foundry

Races:

Pretty standard starting set of races here.
There are Human, Elf, Half-elf, Wood elf, Half-Ogre, Dwarf, Halfling, Tiefling, Drow (only available to founders until 60 days into the game)
I’ll add the racial bonuses to each class and give some flavor text soon.

Classes:
  • Guardian Fighter- Guardian Fighter has a secondary role of a leader and is a warrior who fights with a shield and heavy armor, thus able to fight with a high degree of survivability and control the battle around him or her. Placement and tactics are very important for a guardian fighter. Guardian Fighters are proficient in Plate armor.

Would I enjoy playing it? Here we have the standard threat tank of the group with an active block skill to boot. Don’t like to take damage? Be this guy.
  • Great Weapon Fighter- A Great Weapon Fighter has a secondary role of a striker. They are warriors who eschew shields in favor of large two-handed weapons. They rely on a strong aggressive offense, and yet are still durable enough to serve as a defender in a pinch. They are proficient in Scale armor.

Would I enjoy playing it? This is an off tank with AOE DPS. They start off slow but ramp up mid levels. This class does need more work but if you like AOE and are willing to stick it out for the first 15 levels it get’s better.

• Devoted Cleric- A Devoted Cleric is a build of cleric with controller as a secondary role. They are a versatile class, equally capable of serving as a healer and of controlling the battlefield with the magical power granted by the deity they serve. Devoted clerics wear chainmail for protection.

Would I enjoy playing it? Do you like lasers? How about healing? How about AOE? Did I mention lasers?
  • Trickster Rogue- The Trickster Rogue’s unique combination of skills sets up this Rogue build to have a secondary role of controller. It is a damage-dealing class specializing in stealth, speed, precision with a pair of two sharp blades and a store of daggers which can be thrown to distract the enemy. Rogues usually wear leather armor.

Would I enjoy playing it? Making things dead is the name of the game for this class. They take advantage of combat positioning and have some stealthy tricks.
  • Control Wizard- Control Wizards focus foremost on their primary role harnessing arcane energies to control the battlefield and helping the party to not get overrun by a swarm of monsters. Apart from that, they are able to dish damage very well and hence their secondary role is that of striker. They crush, restrain, and debilitate their foes. They wield a magical orb and are capable of unleashing torrents of damage on enemy parties. They can only wear cloth armor.

Would I enjoy playing it? A lot of CC here with a nice smattering of utility. Also does decent damage with their powers

Companions:

You can pick up a companion to fight alongside you. These are pretty much soulless beings so no getting to know them like in SWTOR but at least you’re not alone out there. You can only have one active at a time but own many of them.

Feats and Powers:

Power points are gained each level. You can spend them on powers as you see fit but be aware that you will not have as many points as you would need for you to max all of the powers. Be prepared to drop 2-3 of them if you wish to not need to respec later for a costly 600 zen.

Feats are separated into two tiers. They make a certain aspect of your character stronger. Feat respecs cost Astral Diamonds.
  • Heroic: These are the feats you pick from level 10-30. They are arranged in two rows and the games pretty much asking you to pick between one or the other.
  • Paragon: Here the trees branch off into role trees with each role giving unique choices to change how your class works.

Crafting:

Crafting runs in a queue like system. You set up the jobs and walk away. Each job will tell you how long it will take and what it requires to run. There are five trade skills and they are Leadership, Mailsmithing, Platesmithing, Leatherworking, and Tailoring.

They do what’s pretty much advertised on the tin except leadership which gives XP and different forms of currency.

You can work on crafting (and use the auction house) from a browser by going to gateway.playneverwinter.com
Economy:

There are many types of currency in this game. Knowing what each does will be pretty important as you move along on your journeys.
  • Gold: A base currency that is obtainable only from playing normally. This is used to buy standard items from the vendors. Health potions can be bought with this as can some level of gear.
  • Zen: this is the cash shop currency. This buys things on the cash store such as boosts and cosmetic mounts or companions.
  • Astral Diamonds: these are sort of a middle ground currency as they can not only be gotten through some in game means but they can also be converted to and from Zen. The auction house also only uses this currency.
  • Seals: There are many seals throughout the game with different names like Lion or Gryphon. These are level range currencies and can be used mostly for armor and weapons.

There are also two currency that are gained by invocating at an alter after you reach level 11.
Courtesy of Arch:
  • Ardent Coins: You get one of these coins per day, the first time you do an Invocation. These are permanent coins, unlike their counterparts, and can be spent in the Vault of Piety to gain seals, potions that give long buffs, or saved to purchase mounts, weapons, and even a Guardian Angel companion (although this takes 360 coins)
  • Celestial Coins: These are temporary, fleeting pieces of currency that you can use to buy rare crafting materials and enchantments for your gear. The catch? You get one per day, to a maximum of seven...and they disappear if you forget to pray daily. Sorry atheist cleric roleplayers, none for you!

Server:

We play on Beholder.

Guild Info:

What A Nice Guild is led by CorriganX. The best thing to get in is to just add him to your friends list if he’s on. Information of other people to add to get into the guild is forthcoming.

Teamspeak Info:

Digital Syn has been a very gracious fellow and provided us with a TS server:

Don't forget the General PA TeamSpeak Server is available for use:

Server: finalack.com ( or 74.207.227.159 )
Port: default - leave blank
Password: PA's Usual Password for these things

I've already created some channels for the game. Please let me know if there are any issues.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
Seidkona on

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited June 2013
    F.A.Q.

I was in the closed beta and logged in for the stress test. Where do I get my Pirate’s hat?

You’d find it in the founder's chest.

I've heard there is a way to talk with Penny Arcadians playing in all of the Cryptic games. How do I do this?

From the STO thread:

/channel_join "Penny Arcade"
    The quotation marks are important, don't forget them

PA Foundry Authors

SniperGuy wrote:
    Alright, I made a Foundry Mission! It's called "A Problem With Pests" code: NW-DGUIFS5TL

It's a pretty short little comedic quest (at least I hope it's amusing) that should have some decent challenge in it as well. Suitable for 1 or 2 people. Plays/ratings/bug reports/suggestions welcome and appreciated!
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Welp, I finally published my foundry mission that I've been sitting on for nearly a month due to the horrible sound bug. I might have not bothered to wait if I knew the PA community was gonna sputter out before they actually fixed it, but such is life.

Anyway, if you're checking out the patch and want a mission to run, here it is. It needs reviews and I'm curious for feedback at least. It was fun to make. It starts out a bit rote but I'm confidant by the end that hopefully you will have seen at least one thing that you didn't expect.

NW-DQ8I5BZSF

Screenshots

Under Construction.

Seidkona on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Pirate hat is in the founder's chest.

What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Pirate hat is in the founder's chest.

Fixed. Thanks.

Just put at the very, very top: "They Penny Arcade guild is on the server Beholder."

Even though your OP is cleverly referencing this. Don't leave this up to chance, man.

• MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    or simply "the guild is in the eye of the beholder" oh, btw, is the guild flagged as searchable? i think it wasn't a couple days ago when i rolled an alt.

steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Yeah, need the guild info at the top of the post.

Also, might be worth putting a bit of info about the global PA channel.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Does anyone know what I need to do for invocation? I just hit level 11. There was a kobold guy talking about astral diamonds and he mentioned invocation, but I have no clue what it's about or how I do it.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I suddenly lost connection in the middle of a dungeon delve :(

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    Annnnnd the server pooped as we were about to finish a dungeon. Cliche, but nonetheless true.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Go talk to Sgt. Knox.

Also basil broke the server while we were in cloak tower. goddamnit basil.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • CobellCobell Registered User regular
    Does anyone know what I need to do for invocation? I just hit level 11. There was a kobold guy talking about astral diamonds and he mentioned invocation, but I have no clue what it's about or how I do it.

Near the stairs leading up to the mainhall of protectors is a priestess by a large fire/whealkth point. Talk to her.

• QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    Well, while shit be broke, I had a question regarding Foundry stuff. I was doing "The Arena", and it was basically a buncha mobs that spawn in a row, in waves, then 2 big packs at the end. It was worth a decent chunk, and the chest at the end was worth even more. I made a map with just a boatload of Hulken mobs, and the chest is worth dick. Is it based on Reviews/Plays to actually have the chest be worth xp? Or is there some formula.

Quintessin wrote: »
    Well, while shit be broke, I had a question regarding Foundry stuff. I was doing "The Arena", and it was basically a buncha mobs that spawn in a row, in waves, then 2 big packs at the end. It was worth a decent chunk, and the chest at the end was worth even more. I made a map with just a boatload of Hulken mobs, and the chest is worth dick. Is it based on Reviews/Plays to actually have the chest be worth xp? Or is there some formula.

I believe it's based on the time that the map takes to play.

Odd, because my friend and I were clearing the Arena map in about 8m and got ~4k for the end chest. My map with Hulkens takes 7-8m and is worth 500.

• Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Chest rewards are randomized, as far as XP goes I think there is a formula based on time to map completion.

edited May 2013
    I know Item rewards are random, all I want to know is about the XP. I guess it might be based on Average Time, but does that mean if I just sit in the map for 4 hours a couple times and bring it up, it'd be worth more? That seems kinda dumb if it were that easy. Like I said I was able to finish another map in 7 or 8 minutes and got 4k, but another one gives me 500xp. Just seems silly.

I guess I can just make the map go to another of the same one 2 more times and just have a huge Hulken farm. They're worth decent xp, and if I can get the chest to be worth even more, it'd be grand.

I know not everyone wants an XP Farm, but with Shield + Arcane Singularity I can endlessly farm 10-15 Hulkens at a time. It's pretty damn fun.

Quintessin on
    I think It's based on what the foundry system designates as the time it'll take to complete the map.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Will be on tonight in a few min and running Cloak Tower if anyone is interested.

488W936.png
  • CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I imagine they add time for every person you talk to, or every change of 'event' even if the next event is "kill these 4 packs of mobs" or whatever.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    XP rewards from the foundry are based on average completion time globally.

Good luck manipulating the average completion time of a map with hundreds or thousands of plays on record.

It should also be noted that in order for anyone to even be able to touch your map, it needs to pass a review from volunteer players that's dedicated to weeding out obviously exploitative or broken maps. I don't know that an obvious enemy farm map is necessarily going to get thumbs-up.

Scosglen on
    I will just add more maps full of Hulkens. Fuck tons of greens/drops and a decent chunk of xp. Maps have a 50 encounter limit, and each encounter is 2 brutes, no one can kill 300 brutes in under 15m. CW with Shield + Singularity can do it in 20m, dunno bout other classes.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Anyone else having trouble getting the patcher to load? It keeps disconnecting after 2 attempts.

488W936.png
    If you have the ID code for the map you can play it, my friend was able to find the quest on the board with it.

Quintessin wrote: »
    I will just add more maps full of Hulkens. Fuck tons of greens/drops and a decent chunk of xp. Maps have a 50 encounter limit, and each encounter is 2 brutes, no one can kill 300 brutes in under 15m. CW with Shield + Singularity can do it in 20m, dunno bout other classes.

Call it Hulken smash, maybe?

This is kind of an awkward time for the servers to be down, all things considered.

edited May 2013
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Anyone else having trouble getting the patcher to load? It keeps disconnecting after 2 attempts.

The servers took a nosedive not too long ago.

Edit: I guess it give me time to get some food with my wife and work on weaning myself away from the bold tag and into the wonderful world of color.

Seidkona on
  • Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    Server broke about 20 minutes ago unfortunately. at least i got a 2 hour leadership running before it happened.

Entaru wrote: »
    Corehealer wrote: »

The servers took a nosedive not too long ago.

Okay. Guess I'll go mess around on TF2 for a few while they sort things.

488W936.png
    If my idea doesn't work no big deal, I can just farm The Arena, that one is worth a lot. I just wanted to make a more effective green farming map.

I think they really wanna try and suppress attempts to make real farming maps, and I can't blame them.

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    So I decide to DL this on a lark late last night. Make a super quick character to toy around with it for 15 minutes, go to bed.

This morning before work, find you guys are on the Beholder server, and log on to switch but find server maintenance.

Come home from work to find the server has gone kaput.

Wheeeeee

• Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Cobell wrote: »

Near the stairs leading up to the mainhall of protectors is a priestess by a large fire/whealkth point. Talk to her.

You also have to be level 15 or something before it will work. Once you get it you can't miss it, so don't worry about it. It'll be a big icon in the top right of your screen, next to the map. The game does a pretty good job of leading you by the nose through most of the important stuff. Though I did miss out professions the first time I hit level 10. I was out in the field somewhere and didn't go back to the main quest giver till later.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • SteveRageSteveRage Registered User regular
    i'm surprised how much fun this game is.
    i rolled up a control wizard at first, but wasn't really feeling it, so i then made a lil halfling rogue and am having a blast. she's like a spinning top of death. my internet connection is pretty poor, so doing anything in a group is almost never a good idea, but i did solo my way to just passed the first boss in the cloaked tower before moving on to a different area for content. i'm pretty proud of that.
    i really like the companion aspect. it's nice having your own pet healer follow you around.

-in warframe (pc), i am fungible-
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    I got some play-time in before the crash and I'm liking it! My only complaint is that boob-windows seem to be mandatory for every female outfit so far.

Deans wrote: »
    I got some play-time in before the crash and I'm liking it! My only complaint is that boob-windows seem to be mandatory for every female outfit so far.

It gets better as you go, but yeah, it's dumb.

488W936.png
  • am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Farangu wrote: »
    So I decide to DL this on a lark late last night. Make a super quick character to toy around with it for 15 minutes, go to bed.

This morning before work, find you guys are on the Beholder server, and log on to switch but find server maintenance.

Come home from work to find the server has gone kaput.

Wheeeeee

You've just been unlucky. Besides the 2 hour maintenance this morning and this issue, the servers have been solid all day.

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Boob windows are the best windows.

• am0nam0n Registered User regular
    Apparently all three PW games crashed. Not all three NW servers, but all three games (NW, Champions and STO). I wonder if they were all on the same hardware somewhere.

• SteveRageSteveRage Registered User regular
    halfling boob window pretty minimal for a fantasy setting.
    i'm actually impressed with how much skin she's covering.
    sFbIk6m.jpg

-in warframe (pc), i am fungible-
    am0n wrote: »
    Apparently all three PW games crashed. Not all three NW servers, but all three games (NW, Champions and STO). I wonder if they were all on the same hardware somewhere.

All three Cryptic games you mean, there are a TON of other PerfectWorld games.