As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gameworks on Thursday August 23rd

PhanmanPhanman Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in PAX Archive
As my hotel is right next to Gameworks , I was maybe thinking about going there Thursday night for drinks and some light gaming. Anyone else planning on going or does the place suck?

I've never been there but if it looks like a Jillians or Dave and Buster's. The two places I named are ok, nothing amazing but they're somewhat fun. Just gives me some fun stuff to do while drinking my beer.

Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980
Phanman on

• Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You should go to the Freezepop concert! :)

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm pretty sure just about everyone who shows up on Thursday will be hitting Gameworks at some point or other

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I was going to hit it after my wave at the Pre-PAX dinner at PF Changs. I'm in the 6:30 wave, so I should be hitting Gameworks sometime between 8 and 9.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    BacksliderBackslider Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'll probably be stopping by GameWorks at some point or another. Most likely multiple times throughout the weekend. I'll most likely be playing Pop'n Music the whole time.

Backslider on
  • Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Phanman wrote: »
    As my hotel is right next to Gameworks , I was maybe thinking about going there Thursday night for drinks and some light gaming. Anyone else planning on going or does the place suck?

I've never been there but if it looks like a Jillians or Dave and Buster's. The two places I named are ok, nothing amazing but they're somewhat fun. Just gives me some fun stuff to do while drinking my beer.

Gameworks is a two-floor arcade with virtually every game that has hit US arcades and been popular (and some not as popular). It's owned directly by SEGA, so you will see that their games sort of overpopulate the place. Still, you can't complain about HD House of the Dead 4 in 60 FPS glory. My god, Gameworks is a ton of fun if you have at least one other person to game with.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's a pricey place though. They think that just because they have ninjas busting out the walls and mad floor space they can charge that, and they are right.

Samir Duran Duran on
    Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • Options
    GodfatherXGodfatherX Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's a pricey place though. They think that just because they have ninjas busting out the walls and mad floor space they can charge that, and they are right.
    pricey as in food or pricey as in credits?

GodfatherX on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    GodfatherX wrote: »
    pricey as in food or pricey as in credits?

The food is no more pricey than Red Robin.

If anyone doesn't know how it works, when you enter Gameworks they will make you buy this little paper-thin creditcard thing. Depending on what sort of specials they have, they will give you a certain amount of game credit for a certain amount of money. You ALWAYS get more game credit than how much money you paid, I have never gone there and seen 1:1. You can also always put the card inside a machine and put more money on it. However, to my knowledge, this method IS a 1:1.

The only thing that may be considered pricey is the CREDIT COST of some of the larger games. Things like the Indy 500 racing, or Sky Pirates run $3-$5 bucks a game as far as I remember. Still, if you stick to the staples, you should be good to go.

They also have a pretty good bar area there.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm totally up for this with others. ;D

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    sycholord31sycholord31 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Doesnt Gameworks have a thursday night $10 freeplay event?

Check their website and it says $10 freeplay...woot! I was going to go here if noone wanted to go to a later movie than the Official Pre Pax movie.

sycholord31 on
  • Options
    AndymatronAndymatron Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I and some others plan on hitting up Gameworks.

Andymatron on
    Error 404: Pants not found O_o
  • Options
    atrayatray Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Doesnt Gameworks have a thursday night $10 freeplay event?

Check their website and it says $10 freeplay...woot! I was going to go here if noone wanted to go to a later movie than the Official Pre Pax movie.

This thread has been lost, but it provides the specials gameworks has and the $10 play your way thursday info.

direct link to my post on the info: nvm i decided just to repost it here for convenience.
    atray wrote:
    Happy Hour (4pm-8pm m-f)
    1/2 off wines, well drinks, margeritas, taps (basics and a few micro brews)
    this is roughly $2.50 per drink

Play Your Way Thursday (9pm to close)
    Close is Midnight for thursday

$10 unlimited game card
    $2 shots of Jager & Jose Cuervo
    $10 Buckets (Coors Lite Only)
    1/2 Price Appetizers (sampler platter and rib basket excluded)
    $2 Drafts (Pabst Blue Ribbon Only)

If your under 21 you must leave Game Works by 10pm

atray on
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Who wants to bet they run out of food/booze by saturday morning?

Shade on
  • Options
    langrilangri Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm in the 5pm seating wave at the pre PAX dinner. I'd like to go to the Freezepop show also, but I've got some time to kill in there. Why not spend it at Gameworks with fellow PAXites?

langri on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Thursday Gameworks closes at midnight, Friday and Saturday they close at 1 am (but I thought I read here that some company is renting the place at some point on Saturday, the bastards!) The restaurant closes 2 hours before the arcade, the bar a half hour before the arcade. It opens at 11 am weekdays, 10 am weekends. At 10pm they kick out everyone under 18.

The points you get from the machines are exactly the same as you get from the front desk - put on $20, you still get more points than $20 worth added on. Note, the cards cost like $1 (maybe $2 now, dunno) to get in the first place. The food's actually pretty cheap - you can get a nice mountain of fries for $3. Of course, that may change, they are moving the restaurant (or expanding it, not sure) downstairs, to what used to be the main entrance.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, on Saturday, ArenaNet is having their Guild Wars party. Which I plan on being at since they will have swag and I am an avid Guild Wars player. So I am stoked as hell to head over there and see what it's all about.

Officer on
  • Options
    NikolisNikolis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Me and Citrus are planning on hitting it up after the first wave at the dinner. We have one here in Indy and they are always a blast.

Nikolis on
    Nklus.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Thursday Gameworks closes at midnight, Friday and Saturday they close at 1 am (but I thought I read here that some company is renting the place at some point on Saturday, the bastards!) The restaurant closes 2 hours before the arcade, the bar a half hour before the arcade. It opens at 11 am weekdays, 10 am weekends. At 10pm they kick out everyone under 18.

The points you get from the machines are exactly the same as you get from the front desk - put on $20, you still get more points than $20 worth added on. Note, the cards cost like $1 (maybe $2 now, dunno) to get in the first place. The food's actually pretty cheap - you can get a nice mountain of fries for $3. Of course, that may change, they are moving the restaurant (or expanding it, not sure) downstairs, to what used to be the main entrance.

I wondered why they don't use the main entrance anymore. Anyway, yeah. I know I bought some mixed drinks up there once, and that's the only reason I stopped there. The guy charged us for two cokes, haha. So we gave him a tip about equal to what one of the drinks would have cost. Good times.

Recruit wrote: »
    Yeah, on Saturday, ArenaNet is having their Guild Wars party. Which I plan on being at since they will have swag and I am an avid Guild Wars player. So I am stoked as hell to head over there and see what it's all about.

Is that one invite-only?

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Recruit wrote: »

I must admit my dirty secret: GW at PAX was how I decided that we should go to PAX. Of course I'd heard of PAX before and thought it would be fun, but if I hadn't gotten into GW this summer and noticed on their site they were attending? I'm not 100% sure we'd be making the trip.

Okay, I'm maybe 80% sure. :lol:
    Is that one invite-only?
    According to the webpage, it's invite only 6-7pm and Open to All from 7-9pm Saturday.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'll show up. Having a game card with like 350-400 points on it helps. :p Though, with the $10 free play, I may not use my card, and save it for sat and sun.

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    i'll probably hit it up after pf chang's, provided they have a pump it up machine in good working order and that ISN'T the second generation model that hit the states.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Guek wrote: »
    i'll probably hit it up after pf chang's, provided they have a pump it up machine in good working order and that ISN'T the second generation model that hit the states.

They don't have Pump. They have 3 DDR machines, but I know it's not the same thing.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Their music/rhythm games currently are:

DDR USA
    DDR Extreme
    DDR SuprNova

Guitar Freaks 11th Mix
    DrumMania 10th Mix
    (these two are linked)

PopNMusic Fever!
    Dance Maniax (I think 2nd mix, not sure)

Taiko no Tatsujin 9

I think they *may* still have their Guitar Freaks (1st mix) machine setup, but I'm not sure right now - a few of their older machines disappeared recently with their renovation and new games.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Guek wrote: »

They don't have Pump. They have 3 DDR machines, but I know it's not the same thing.

what?? fuck that noise. do they really need 3 ddr machines?? DDR is "ok" but not nearly as fun...

i guess i wont be stopping by then :(

Guek on
  • Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Just because they have DDR instead of the "Pump" game, you will forsake Gameworks? For shame! What kind of PAX gamer would NOT go to Gameworks? Its perfect for a PAX attendee!

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    PhanmanPhanman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised that so many people are going. I just hope we don't overcrowd the place on Thursday when I go.

Can't exactly claim your spot on a machine by placing your quarter on it like in the old days :)

Phanman on
    Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980
  • Options
    specspec Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    If people see that there aren't any credits after the game you're playing, they tend to swipe their cards without asking to get next. It seems rude to me. :P

spec on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

DDR USA
    DDR Extreme
    DDR SuprNova

Guitar Freaks 11th Mix
    DrumMania 10th Mix
    (these two are linked)

PopNMusic Fever!

Taiko no Tatsujin 9

I think they *may* still have their Guitar Freaks (1st mix) machine setup, but I'm not sure right now - a few of their older machines disappeared recently with their renovation and new games.

Sweet, Guitar Freaks and DrumMania, I'm so there.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    spec wrote: »
    If people see that there aren't any credits after the game you're playing, they tend to swipe their cards without asking to get next. It seems rude to me. :P

I think there will be enough of us in town that we can be courteous to each other.

Dibs on ms pac. though. I hope its the sped up version.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hopefully they're wrapping up the remodeling that moved the restraunt downstairs. I walk by it every now and then and it's been looking close to done, but I haven't been inside to see everything yet. There would still be plenty of room even if its still under remodel but obviously they'll need every inch when PAX hits.

nearlysober on
  • Options
    BacksliderBackslider Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

DDR USA
    DDR Extreme
    DDR SuprNova

Guitar Freaks 11th Mix
    DrumMania 10th Mix
    (these two are linked)

PopNMusic Fever!

Taiko no Tatsujin 9

I'm going to freakin' own that Pop'n Music machine, as well as the Dance Manaix... and I will enjoy a few games of Drummania.

Backslider on
  • Options
    GodfatherXGodfatherX Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ill ask thecrew if they want to attend, im all up for it sounds like good times and i wanted to hit up gameworks anyway

GodfatherX on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I would go, but hell, kicking us under 21 out on thursday after 10pm? Fuck that noise.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    AceRimmerAceRimmer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    One of the Guitar Freaks controllers doesn't work. A lot of the games are in poor condition. I went there on a Thursday a few weeks ago for the unlimited play deal, and it was pretty blah.

AceRimmer on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    AceRimmer wrote: »
    One of the Guitar Freaks controllers doesn't work. A lot of the games are in poor condition. I went there on a Thursday a few weeks ago for the unlimited play deal, and it was pretty blah.

No one cares about arcade machine maintenance, especially when little brats come through and beat the hell out of the machines because they have zero respect for the hardware. I really hope they even partially fixed up gameworks for us. They might regret it if they don't.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I vote for someone to make a round of it and check to see what's in working condition n' such n' such.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    AceRimmer wrote: »

That was Guitar Freaks 1, which is a few years old and yes, often needs maintenance (and I'm not sure they even have it out anymore). The new machine, Guitar Freaks 11, has been perfect since it arrived. As for machines in poor condition, which ones? They used to have a problem with maintenance and keeping up old machines, but in the last year they've gotten progressively better and better. That spinning turret game has been constantly out of order since they got it, it seems to only last a couple weeks before it dies again, so I don't count that.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Raslin wrote: »
    I would go, but hell, kicking us under 21 out on thursday after 10pm? Fuck that noise.

It's under 18.

Unless they just change everything up that thursday.

Samir Duran Duran on
    Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

It's under 18.

Post 13 says different.

If it is 18... well then, I found something to do on thursday! :P

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    edited August 2007

It's under 18.

Post 13 says different.

If it is 18... well then, I found something to do on thursday! :P

http://www.gameworks.com/locations/seattle.php

18 after 10 pm.

However--

"GameWorks reserves the right to refuse service to anyone. GameWorks also reserves the right to modify these entrance policies for any reason, including or due to local or seasonal conditions or special events."

With luck they might be able to allow younger folk until close. It wouldn't hurt asking.

Viscountalpha on
This discussion has been closed.